Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

THE WHO ESTIMATES THAT BETWEEN 20 AND 50 MILLION PEOPLE ARE DISABLED EACH YEAR AS A RESULT OF ROAD ACCIDENTS AND THAT AN ESTIMATED 1,2MILLION DIE FROM ACCIDENTS ANNUALLY.

( SOURCE: SIQALANE TAHO, THIS DAY, 26 APRIL 2004)

Before the arrival of our 997TT, my wife and I thought a great "vanity" plate would be R U N V S . We decided against to avoid being murdered in some road rage incident.

I have always wanted to get one of those novelty license plate frames that says 'My other car is a Porsche' and stick it on the back of a Ferrari. I doubt too many others would find it very funny though...

One time i parked my car at this noodle house and the bowl of noodles was $5.50 and I paid $10, the waiter/owner expects me to tip him the rest. When I didnt he gave this look at my car and I knew what he was thinking.

But on the flipside when your meeting up with a girl for a date you dont need to talk about yourself too much cause she knows and you know that she knows.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    I have always wanted to get one of those novelty license plate frames that says 'My other car is a Porsche' and stick it on the back of a Ferrari. I doubt too many others would find it very funny though...

I got that exact sign last Christmas, but I keep it in my office as if I put it in the back window of one of my other nice cars then it would be wheel-clamped and vandalized within minutes as result.

Perhaps I should put it in the back of my Turbo and write in a 'M' and a 'S' each side of OTHER.

Or go for the more aggressive approach of <MY> 'M' <OTHER> 'F***ING' <CAR IS A PORSCHE>'!! JEALOUS?! NOW GET OUT MY WAY'

...might have an issue cramming that all on though. Hmmmm...

Quote:
    MartyB said:
    Quote:
    If you're hiding these things because of what your neighbors or clients may think, you're hiding your character.

If you think a person's character is defined by the personalty with which he chooses to adorn himself, you are shallow beyond words. I simply cannot believe some of you guys are spending this much time contemplating what others might think of you. Epitome of overcompensating for self esteem issues, perhaps.

Quote:
    I drive my cars and wear my watches as I please because God blessed me with them.

I'm not thought of as a religious person, but how sick is the mind that thinks God has an interest in bestowing upon you or "blessing" you with Swiss watches and overpriced sport coupes.

While religious I'm not, a Porsche fan I am. The brand, 911 in particular, got under my skin a long time ago, but not for the same reasons cited by some of you. I sure hope those self-consumed posters among you represent a small minority of Porsche owners.

OMG!!!!!....So let me straighten you out. Your right, hiding what type of car you drive doesn't indicate a person's character, entirely. But let me give you an example that may hit home for you and pertains to this topic. Let's say you run into an ex-girlfriend. You chat with her, have a drink, give her a hug and go home to the wife and kids. By the way, during this encounter you wife's friend Susie witnesses everything and alerts your wife. You head home and you don't tell your wife about the encounter. Guess what, you're in big trouble. Your wife now thinks you're a liar even though you haven't lied. She thinks you have something to hide. She thinks you're not comfortable with her. She now thinks you don't trust her enough to tell her about this innocent encounter. Even worse, she doesn't trust you! She's now questioning your CHARACTER as a man ever since she met you. Can your adolescent mind expand its ability to apply this concept to my previous post!!! Again, if I have a business meeting (especially when my money is involved) and someone shows up with a beater car, I'm ok with that. But If I find out through back channels that this person has a house on a hill and owns several exotics, I will question his CHARACTER because I did not hear it from him........

And one more thing...I am religious. YES I AM. I strongly feel that anyone that has the disposable income to purchase an expensive sports car or wrist watch has been blessed with the MONEY to do so. Again, the key word is MONEY. Do you get it? MONEY.......Shall I say it one more time, MONEY. Did I say in my post that God Almighty said "thou shall have nice wrist watches and nice cars" and bam, they appeared in my driveway or home? NO.

So next time you decide to post something negative, please try to use that grey mass in your forehead to properly address the subject.......

By the way gang.....this is just my .02. I hope I didn't offend anyone in the process....

Quote:
    cgmmny said:
    OMG!!!!!....So let me straighten you out. Your right, hiding what type of car you drive doesn't indicate a person's character, entirely. But let me give you an example that may hit home for you and pertains to this topic. Let's say you run into an ex-girlfriend. You chat with her, have a drink, give her a hug and go home to the wife and kids. By the way, during this encounter you wife's friend Susie witnesses everything and alerts your wife. You head home and you don't tell your wife about the encounter. Guess what, you're in big trouble. Your wife now thinks you're a liar even though you haven't lied. She thinks you have something to hide. She thinks you're not comfortable with her. She now thinks you don't trust her enough to tell her about this innocent encounter. Even worse, she doesn't trust you! She's now questioning your CHARACTER as a man ever since she met you. Can your adolescent mind expand its ability to apply this concept to my previous post!!! Again, if I have a business meeting (especially when my money is involved) and someone shows up with a beater car, I'm ok with that. But If I find out through back channels that this person has a house on a hill and owns several exotics, I will question his CHARACTER because I did not hear it from him........

What on earth are you gibbering on about? Are you insane?

Quote:
    cgmmny said:
    And one more thing...I am religious. YES I AM.

Ahh, enough said.

brad

The wife analogy doesn't work. IMO.

If the wife trusts you she'll ask how your chance meeting with your ex-girlfriend went.

Same with car, if you drive your Ford and happen to have several exotics at home, your clients should assume you're just particular about when you drive them and where you leave them parked.

I guess it has to do with the overall concept of "discretion" on the parts of everybody involved.

In most cases driving your Ferrari to your first meeting with would-be clients would send a gigantic portentous message.

It's sad that we have to hide our cars from coworkers or patients which I do but people have delicate egos.

Sounds like a lot depends on where you drive your cars and what business you're in. So Cal, Miami Beach - the more exotic the better. I have a friend who is a business consultant and drives Ferraris or Carrera GT to his business meetings because the clients he markets wants him to be wildly successful. My other good buddy is the Home Depot guy, worth more than the other guy but rents a Tundra to appeal to the blue collar guys that support his business. We often make impressions on others without realizing it- our watch, shoes, cars, etc. Why else would so many celebs drive green/hybrids for the tabloids and have their 430 hiding in their garage. The true car guys will drive what they want for whatever reason without regard to outside influences and I admire them the most - the rich guy driving a Miata or Boxster because they like it or the F or P- car because they like it even though they know they are upsetting their neighbors or referring docs or patients. Sorry for the rant. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Several years ago, during a trial I arrranged for the jury to inspect an accident site which was in a remote park with little view obstructions. At the time I was driving a Porsche. The other attorney was driving MB.

I hired a bus which tranported the jury and judge.
    I rent a Ford and drove it to the site. The other attorney obviously thinking along similar lines arrived in a VW which I later learned he borrowed from his daughter's friend.

I guess that says it all.

Wait a minute. I thought you said in the past that Porsche's were middle class cars. Why would the Porsche stand out, then? It would blend in, just like other "middle class" cars.

Exactly Why would a 'commonplace, mass-produced' car stand out and provoke a negative reaction from others??

I've been holding nberry by the balls for a long time (ever since he contradicted himself blatantly in relation to whether it was possible to request a replacement car when the engine on a leased car had developed a fault requiring engine replacement).

This time, you now have him by the balls. Well done Sir. You can hold onto his left bollock while I will continue to hold onto his right bollock.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    UK is also very bad. No way would I let people from work know that I have a Porsche, let alone a new Turbo!! I would immediately lose all business I have if they found out.

Only petrol-head friends and family are exempt from resenting me for 'flaunting' any work/financial success that I have had.

The US is the only place I have ever been that people congratulate you on having a nice car/house/etc. Everywhere else people are very resentful, completely ignoring that I have had to work my butt-off at school/college/university/work to accomplish such things.

I agree 100% with Alex's description of the envy any expensive car provokes in the UK. On the surface, most people claim they are happy for others but deep down, resentment is the real feeling they are harbouring.

Heaven forbid one should ever have a major crash in a fancy car here in the UK. People absolutely revel in stories and/or mobile phone pictures about someone crashing their brand new Ferrari, Lambo or Porsche etc etc... they think it's okay to feel some sort of twisted satisfaction in another's misery because "he's a rich bastard"...so that makes it okay in their eyes...

That's why my colleagues at work do not even know I have a Porsche, let alone ever seen it. For all they know, I still drive a BMW 328i

Turning to the USA, in an unfortunate irony, the very genuineness of the admiration and goodwill one provokes in others in the USA by driving a nice car is IMHO partly caused by the total commitment in the US to the idea that everyone should ruthlessly compete to get ahead...superficially a good thing but it makes US society less forgiving towards those whom circumstance has not favoured (and I am not talking about those who have themselves messed up their own life/opportunities)...

Dude,
    I think somebody didn't torque your head nut properly. All I had to say is that cars do not define your character and God does not give you cars, watches or MONEY with which to purchase them, shall I say it again - money. Reckon God gave the ex-con in the midwest his winning Lotto ticket recently? I could be wrong, but I don't think so. You lost me on the wife/ex-girlfriend story. Guess that makes you smarter than me

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Several years ago, during a trial I arrranged for the jury to inspect an accident site which was in a remote park with little view obstructions. At the time I was driving a Porsche. The other attorney was driving MB.

I hired a bus which tranported the jury and judge.
    I rent a Ford and drove it to the site. The other attorney obviously thinking along similar lines arrived in a VW which I later learned he borrowed from his daughter's friend.

Wait a minute. I thought you said in the past that Porsche's were middle class cars. Why would the Porsche stand out, then? It would blend in, just like other "middle class" cars.

Exactly Why would a 'commonplace, mass-produced' car stand out and provoke a negative reaction from others??

I've been holding nberry by the balls for a long time (ever since he contradicted himself blatantly in relation to whether it was possible to request a replacement car when the engine on a leased car had developed a fault requiring engine replacement).

This time, you now have him by the balls. Well done Sir. You can hold onto his left bollock while I will continue to hold onto his right bollock.

Nick contradicts himself all the time. It's a troll tactic to frustrate people. I'm keeping him on a short leash too. Thanks to my efforts this year his troll posts have gone down significantly this year from the year before. May 2008 be even a better year.

David

I really like the international feel of this thread. Alex and Easy Rider- I always love your take on everything (especially when bashing our favorite nemesis, nberry). We all enjoy these incredible cars and, other than having to pay for them, some of us have other considerations to justify driving such a nice car. I forgot today that it was my volunteer night at the free clinic and, of course I drove the 997 T today... So here I am, working on all these poor people who barely make ends meet and I'm trying to sneak out without them seeing me. And they are grateful (and so am I for driving a wonderful car) but i wish I drove a my toyota tonight.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781593 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442755 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263443 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261819 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85927 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5969 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881587 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819413 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM