Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New to the board and ordering a new 997 S

I am in the process of ordering a new S. I am considering Midnight blue but I have seen Lapis blue and like it but is it no longer available or is it a paint to sample?

Re: New to the board and ordering a new 997 S

Quote:
    drodg said:
    I am in the process of ordering a new S. I am considering Midnight blue but I have seen Lapis blue and like it but is it no longer available or is it a paint to sample?

Welcome to Rennteam. Sounds like a question best answered by the dealer about paint availabibity. You must have other questions about other options we could shed some light on...

Welcome

make sure you get the PSE!! (must be #1 recommendation on new 997s purchases on this board )

Okay I am ordering an Aero Package but trying to keep the other options spared down a bit. Recommendations are highly desired> Thanks.

Go for Lapis is you can. It's an incrediable Porsche color.

Its not listed as an option on Porsche's sight.

Quote:
    drodg said:

go for Guards Red instead...it's pretty close to the same color as Lapis and will look great with the Aero Kit!

and PSE looks good with the Aero Kit too!

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    Quote:
    drodg said:

go for Guards Red instead...it's pretty close to the same color as Lapis and will look great with the Aero Kit!

and PSE looks good with the Aero Kit too!

Guards Red same as Lapis Blue ?

You need to have 'color blind' testing real quick. LOL

Wellcome on board!

I think you must get the PSE. Friends who did not got so dissapointed to to have and they have gone retrofitting it..

Another smooth option is the short shift. A bit stiff in the beggining when the car is cold it feels fantastic after a while.

Sports seats feel fantastic too,

I LOVE midnight blue. If you like it with natural brown leather inside it will be a nice option.BuT if you get the aero kit go look at what color the GT3s have...

I got mine in silver and I dont regret it.

Good luck!

Welcome to the board.

Recommended options:
    - full leather, preferably black/sand or natural brown (best choices with Midnight blue)
    - navi
    - sport exhaust
    - power or adaptative seats
    - seat heating if cab or Targa
    - sport chrono
    - thicker steering wheel or multifunction steering wheel (there are two schools of thought on that topic )
    - self-dimming mirrors

Not mandatory, but very nice looking:
    - sun visors + dome light in leather
    - door finishers in leather
    - rear console + "gear lever trim" (CDZ) (CFA if Tiptronic) + storage compartment lid with Porsche emblem or model logo in leather

Anyway, keep in mind the 997 is getting a facelift next summer. Either use that to get a massive discount from your dealer, or ask for the new model (Fall delivery).

I agree with Groom on these options. In fact, sporting leather interior, I would generally opt for heated seats.
    Midnight blue is a very elegant paint sample, in fact I am not sure if it would get along that well with the aero package, which, in my eyes, only looks good on the GT3 (which features additional vents and slats at front and rear).
    I was under the impression that Lapis Blue was a special order colour, somehow it must have slipped into the paint-to-sample folder. If you go for the aeropackage, I'd consider GT silver.

Welcome onboard & good luck ordering...!

A counter view

The aero kit is for wannabe GT3 owners. The Sport Chrono does nothing to affect performance being $920 worth of placebo effect. The thicker wheel is easier to grip but the padding reduces rim feel.

Nav is for mental contortionists only and there are many, many better and cheaper add-on nav systems available.

The beauty of this site is the variety of points of view and personal preferences: you get large amounts of hot air for free. It's also why Porsche offers all these things as options rather than standard.

Enjoy the hunt!

I've had midnight blue for a few years and it's a great color, it's one of the colors that changes appearance under different lighting conditions. I'd say 95% of the time I love it, but under some conditions it does appear a little purple, but I wouldn't hesitate to get it again. I wouldn't let just anyone wash it though, including the guys at the dealer, like most dark colors it will show light scratches and swirl marks if you aren't careful.

My dealer used to refer to lapis as "no sale lapis" and said they could never sell lapis blue cars. With it now being around 4k as a paint to sample I really think you'd be happier in the long run saving that money or spending it on options and going with midnight.

My 997S cabrio is lapis blue, an optional metallic color for 2006. It is a very attractive color and receives many compliments. The midnight blue is almost as good and I had a hard time deciding between them at the time.

The PSE is an expensive, heavy muffler that offers no improvements to performance. It is said to sound great. If you are looking for more performance, aftermarket headers, catalytics & muffler systems can make 20+ rwhp for around $5K installed and sound fantastic.

There are a multitude of threads on this issue on the rennlist & 6 speed forums.

I agree that the lapis blue is an amazing color. I had it on my Boxster S before and I received so many compliments on it. It's brilliant in the sunlight and looks great at night as well.

You'll definitely love it.

Thanks for everybodys input. I think if Lapis is still available and 4K I'll stick with the Midnight blue. I have seen a few pictues of Midnight Aero cars and they really look great. I love the look of the GT3's but don't want to spend the money and I need rear seats for my grandsons who love riding in my cars. I really question Navi for 2K when I have a Garmin I can switch over from my motorcycle and I only use it a handful of times a year. I am debating on GT silver though it looks great especially with the Aero pkg. I think the seats are another item I have to decide on and if I should go with the full leather. But this is the fun part until it arrives.

First of all; WELCOME!!! , have now in mind that rennteam is going to be as your daily newspaper(literally )

About exterior colour, I would go for cobalt blue(regarding blue colours )....It looks amazing, and its rare

Anyway, the only VITAL option you need is PSE(as every one has said, this is law n*1 in rennteam family ), other than that, from my point of view, the rest of the options are just in a second league, seriously!..

Dont get the sunroof is a waste of money !!!
    Order the sport seats(I would order them without the electronic configuration--> save big money )....Sportdesign wheels....and I think that's it!!!!.....No bose sound system, no pcm...

May be I would order the sport gear shift(which I have read its quite an amazing option)....

And please dont forget about PSE, with that, the car is just completely different from stock!

PSE is a must, for many reasons.

As for color don't pay a cent extra for any color you will just get tired of it and regret the expense. The only colors that I have not gotten tired of are Black, white and silver, which are by the way the best for resale.

Okay I feel stupid what is PSE? I thought it was the sport exhaust system.

PSE= Porsche Sport Exhause. Get it, you'll love it. Power seats (with memory) are great when there will be more than one driver. Midnight blue is very nice. My 987S was midnight/sand beige; a million compliments, but had to wash it a lot. If you're thinking cab, heated seats extend top down driving another month.

Yes...two things are a must with the aerokit - PSE & Sport Design wheel option. (unless you are thinking of aftermarket wheels.)

Natural Brown then a close second Sand Beige are both great with Midnight Blue.

can you post the pics you saw of MB w/ Aerokit?

My midnight blue with Aero

Quote:
    drodg said:

you are aware that the facelifted, extra bhp, possibly with PDK model will be released at the Geneva auto show in March with deliveries in June, aren't you!

Here's a comp: Midnight top (thanks to jplanaux) lapis bottom (I assume the given/found file name of Boxster as "lapis" is correct).

If you have special girls in your life sunroof and heated seats are mandatory. When my wife or gf start ranting I turn her seat on, five minutes later it is quiet in the car.

Regarding PSE, get PSE so you don't have the "fake" quads. That and no SC were the biggest "mistakes" I made when I ordered my 997s (I'm glad it's gone).

Quote:
    MMD said:
    When my wife or gf start ranting I turn her seat on, five minutes later it is quiet in the car.

You have both a wife and gf? You're the man!

Isn't sunroof standard?

Okay, quick vote...how many have both a wife and gf?

wife and gf? sounds like ALOT of work, just having a gf can be a second job.

My only recommendation is:

YOU MUST GET SPORT SUSPENSION AND LSD.

This is one of my big regrets (although I still love the car).

If you don't like it we can swap. Congrats in advance with your purchase. Plus try and avoid interior colours other than Black / Brown (affects resale values).

Sports Suspension & LSD N/A in USA

There is no sports suspension option here, or LSD. And frankly with the state of the roads here it would make as much sense as having the dentist use a road drill on your teeth...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690691 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409903 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256099 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235345 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65726 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858650 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774854 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM