Forum - Thread

Wall Stree Journal Article on Wiedeking's Pay

Porsche CEO Adds to Pay Debate
    Fund Critic Wiedeking
    Is German Focal Point;
    'Something Is Wrong'
    By STEPHEN POWER
    December 1, 2007; Page A7

FRANKFURT -- Porsche AG Chief Executive Wendelin Wiedeking's Euro 68 million ($100.2 million) in compensation is adding fuel to debate in Germany about executive-compensation levels at a time of stagnant wage levels for ordinary workers.

Porsche's executive-pay levels have drawn attention in Germany in part because Mr. Wiedeking has often embraced populist rhetoric while criticizing hedge funds and accusing some companies of putting the interests of shareholders above those of workers. Some industry analysts say that Porsche itself is behaving like a hedge fund.

* What's Happening: Porsche AG Chief Executive Wendelin Wiedeking's $100.2 million in compensation is adding fuel to debate in Germany about executive pay at a time of stagnant wage levels for ordinary workers.
    * Why the Fuss? Mr. Wiedeking has often embraced populist rhetoric while criticizing hedge funds and accusing some companies of putting the interests of shareholders above those of workers. Some industry analysts say that Porsche itself is behaving like a hedge fund.In its most recent financial statement, Porsche disclosed that it made more money in its latest fiscal year from trading derivatives than it did from selling cars. It said earnings from stock-option transactions contributed a pretax Euro 3.59 billion to the overall result.

Earlier this past week, Porsche disclosed that it paid its management board a total of Euro 112.7 million in the most recent fiscal year ended July 31, compared with Euro 45.2 million the previous year. Though Porsche doesn't disclose individual salary levels, a person familiar with the matter said Mr. Wiedeking's own compensation totaled about Euro 68 million. Porsche AG is a subsidiary of Porsche Automobil Holding SE, a recently formed holding company.

Though familiar in the U.S., those kinds of CEO salaries are almost unheard of in Germany. A spokesman for Porsche said that the company wouldn't disclose the pay package of individual managers but added that the formula for determining Mr. Wiedeking's compensation has remained the same for more than a decade. He said it includes performance-related incentives that take into account his individual accomplishments as well as the company's profit and sales levels. Last month, Porsche reported net earnings of Euro 4.24 billion for the latest fiscal year, compared with Euro 1.39 billion a year earlier.

"I think when the company does well, then those who have contributed should share in that," Mr. Wiedeking told journalists attending the company's annual news conference this past week.

In an interview published Thursday in the German newspaper Handelsblatt, Germany's president, Horst Köhler, lamented that "the population has the feeling that something is wrong" with executive-pay levels and that he sees "companies and society drifting away from each other. Germany needs moral leadership by honest managers." A spokesman for Mr. Köhler said the president wasn't referring to "any person individually."

Mr. Wiedeking has often castigated companies for putting shareholders' interests before those of workers'. In 2005 at the height of Germany's nationwide election for chancellor, he caused a small stir when he came to the defense of a prominent left-wing politician who had likened hedge-fund managers to "locusts."

Ordinary workers in Germany have seen little or no growth in wages after inflation for many years, as many companies have tightened cost controls. At the same time, more information is becoming available about the level of executive salaries. Under a new German law, publicly traded German companies must report the compensation of individual top managers unless they get the permission of shareholders representing 75% of votes cast at their annual meeting to withhold individual pay levels. In such cases, companies must then report the total compensation paid to their top executives as a group.

The focus on Mr. Wiedeking is also sharpened by fears among workers at Volkswagen AG that Porsche, already VW's biggest shareholder, may increase its 31% stake further and push for cost cuts at the company.

Announcing its earnings last month, Porsche said earnings at its own core car-making business were burdened by "special factors," including extra costs in the "high three-digit million-euro" range associated with the development of a new model called the Panamera.

With profit at the core business under pressure, Porsche executives are increasingly demanding better results from VW. That has led to public sniping between Mr. Wiedeking and VW labor leaders, who fear that their influence will decline significantly should Porsche expand its stake.

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal this past week, Porsche's chief financial officer, Holger Härter, said that Porsche's core business is "very healthy" but that "there is no doubt Volkswagen will become more and more important for Porsche" in the years ahead.

Re: Wall Stree Journal Article on Wiedeking's Pay

i really dont understand what the fuss is all about: of course its a horrendous (sic) summ of money for one person, but then again he has done a lot things very very right.
    Many top managers get pretty the same money for almost ruining the company, and thats a lot more of a problem.

If he was von Weideking with a schloss and some dusty old pictures of other royals on the wall instead of just plain Weidiking would there be so much envy in Germany about his income?

If I'm not mistaken, regular Porsche employees got nice bonuses as well, even factory floor workers. We can't really accuse Mr Wiedeking of double standards. Given what this CEO has achieved, he is one of those rare CEOs that truly deserve their compensation.

It's just VW workers making a fuss because Mr Wiedeking has clearly signaled the good old cushy days are over at VW.

All successful people get lots of money, from sport to entertaiment to professions to business. This is especially true in the USA. So what problem does The Wall Street Journal and all the rest of the envious people have with Herr Wiedeking?

Exec pay is ultimately from shareholders anyway....so s/h should decide what makes sense....one dollar/one share/one vote......capitalism.....

Class jealousies are universal....forms of jealousy vary by region....but journalists/media/unions/less wealthy competitors/unhappy fmr execs, etc all have an interest in invoking populism when convenient.....

Headline pay is often erroneous....most comp is deferred/multi-yr-based/options-based, etc......difficult to determine a precise one yr no. for anyone.....and public co. CEOs often face more onerous taxes than do founders of tech cos./hedgies/VCs/PE guys.....so need to assess post-tax, liquid net worth rather than silly nominal pay/retirement "packages"......

Wiedie is a nearly 60yo codger.....what was his net worth/pay when he was 45yo or 35yo???? Need to risk-adjust value of any money for time/age.....a $100MM is worth a hell of a lot less when one is almost 60yo (and facing inevitable erectile dysfunc/heart dz/cancer risks) than when one is 35yo.....

Quote:
    reginos said:
    All successful people get lots of money, from sport to entertaiment to professions to business. This is especially true in the USA. So what problem does The Wall Street Journal and all the rest of the envious people have with Herr Wiedeking?

The Wall Street Journal is interested in stirring up the pot. Pretty sad.

What I find interesting about this is that in the US nobody would care and people generally think it's ok to pay for performance. It seems that's not the case in Germany (and the rest of Western Europe generally).

I think what you guys don't understand is that in Germany we have a strong culture of egalitarianism, that's why our industrial workers are among the highest paid in the world, and generally speaking executives don't earn many many times higher than the factory guy unlike the usa where it is normal.

The argument is that under Wiedeking Porsche has done great and emerged a very profitable company. But the blue collar guys who worked at Porsche during that same time period are not seeing their wages go up like the CEO, so that is not something that we are used to in Germany.

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Exec pay is ultimately from shareholders anyway....so s/h should decide what makes sense....one dollar/one share/one vote......capitalism.....

Porsche is a special case since AFAIK the Porsche/Piëch family owns all voting shares.
    It didn't stop investors from snapping up any share they could get at any price.

For all I cared Wiedeking could have been paid a billion dollars, as long as he keep pushing out products that people keep buying, that's HIS reward.

Under him Porsche has transformed into the most profitable car company, so he did something right. While in the same period of time, did the workers do anything to improve Porsche's bottomline? None. Nadda.

The workers have a job to do and standard to match, they have done nothing extraordinary to warrant a raise/bonus other than one that matches inflation.

Now IF the workers were able to trim Porsche's bottomline or increase Porsche's revenue, then I am all for getting them a raise, but by nature workers are the one that negatively affects profit, they always demand less hrs, more wages, more benefits.

Quote:
    palenimbus said:
    I think what you guys don't understand is that in Germany we have a strong culture of egalitarianism, that's why our industrial workers are among the highest paid in the world, and generally speaking executives don't earn many many times higher than the factory guy unlike the usa where it is normal.

The argument is that under Wiedeking Porsche has done great and emerged a very profitable company. But the blue collar guys who worked at Porsche during that same time period are not seeing their wages go up like the CEO, so that is not something that we are used to in Germany.

It doesn't appear to be Porsche's employees who complain about Wiedeking. Furthermore he is probably one of the more illustre examples of executives in Germany, not because of his lifestyle but because of his clear-cut attitude.

A friend of mine, being assistant doctor in a major hospital, has a lower wage than his cousin, being employed as a factory worker at Mercedes in Stuttgart. Medics in German hospitals have regular 24 hr stints next to their routine shifts. As much as this has slightly changed by now, considering the working conditions and restrictions of factory workers or truck drivers, this appears to be irresponsible as much as ridiculous. Does this raise an issue for the common citizen? Heck no, it's nothing to envy...

And don't forget that the workers got some nice bonusses as well. During my factory visit last year I talked to some workers and they spoke with respect of W.W. (and I had the impression, that it was honest)

The fuss about his pay is a typical media thing IMO

It was also interesting to hear that for example the Lady Chancellor Mrs. Merkel has restricted her criticism re "excessive" compensation towards those cases where CEOs walk away with a huge bye bye payment after running an enterprise into deep red figures. This has nothing to do with envy IMO - just common sense. Luckily Porsche is not like Home Depot

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:

Under him Porsche has transformed into the most profitable car company, so he did something right.

Has it really? From what I have read here posted about Porsche's profit, it's all about pie in the sky numbers regarding appreciation of VW stock that only rose because P bought so much of it.

Their line-up is nothing special anymore. We all complain about the lackluster design from the cayenne to the panamera. The only inspired models sell in very limited numbers.

So far I think WW has done a terrible job at running Porsche the SPORTScar company, but a great job of running Porsche the hedge fund with crazy number juggling.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:

Under him Porsche has transformed into the most profitable car company, so he did something right.

Has it really? From what I have read here posted about Porsche's profit, it's all about pie in the sky numbers regarding appreciation of VW stock that only rose because P bought so much of it.

Their line-up is nothing special anymore. We all complain about the lackluster design from the cayenne to the panamera. The only inspired models sell in very limited numbers.

So far I think WW has done a terrible job at running Porsche the SPORTScar company, but a great job of running Porsche the hedge fund with crazy number juggling.

Part of what you say it is true and comes with bigger numbers in sales. We all know that why a thing is more common it looses part of the core value. The 911 and Porsche cars have never been that comune but always they have been sold in bigger numbers than the Ferraris and the Lamborghinis. The Porsche is much more common than the other makes but the Ferrari and Lamborghini tend to be also more and more common day by day.

But Porsche it is the only manufacturer in the world that gets a 30% profit from any model it sales. And about a terrible job in running the company I don't agree at all: growing the production almost ten times, making profit on all models you sell, saving the company from bankruptcy, growing the value of your company 560% in last 15 yrs, having few billions in the bank at your disposal,... it does not sound like a terrible job to me....

About the design I agree that it is not the best design we have seen from Porsche from a long time, and the Cayenne it is not the prettiest SUV (I really hate it, but just for its looks not for being a Porsche) but in the same time it is not WW's personal job, he just choose from what the designers are showing to him, so it means that the designers are not doing that well but not him. In the same time with the 911 restyling and the looks of the GT3 and Turbo, not to forget the Cayenne, it does not seem they are that bad, while the Panamera it is still a long way from the presentation so let's just not judge the car before we see it. The only thing that I will complain is a real, and I mean like in the 80, racing program. Fighting with the best drivers in the highest toughest class in whatever race they want to. Just ALMS it is very little known apart from USA. And maybe if the Cayenne will start also to race in Paris Dakar or a better known ride or rally not just the Transsiberian that it may be quite difficult there but it lacks the popularity and the publicity that Porsche deserves, we will like it more.

At least from my reading of the numbers the profit from actual car production was a fraction of the companies whole profit. That was listed in one of the published stories.

Just because the cayenne has sold well does not mean it was the best managed project. It may have sold much better had it looked good from the start, been much lighter, and had an interior to match its price tag and rival a Land Rover.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781110 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442618 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263374 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261692 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85838 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5918 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881458 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819007 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM