Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2018 E63 from AMG is back

Here in Chicago area we have some suburbs with local ordinances that forbid ownership of any firearms.

Guess where 99% of home invasions happen?

Criminals are not stupid and don't want to needlessly risk their lives either......

Lars997:

What a hideous spec for such a car yes Not even having the tinted windows in the rear mail Looks really super stealth. 

The drive should not be any different from the Limousine, shouldn't it?

I didn't even notice that it doesn't have tinted windows but the car is actually well optioned inside (incl. Burmester but the cheaper version).

No, it does not drive like the sedan because it has winter tires (sedan had Michelin PS4S). The ride is pretty comfortable, even in Sport + mode and sportiest suspension setting but in curves, it is like a big ship (you can't really feel the weight but I guess the winter tires aren't optimal for this car), it has a lot of side-roll but it is still insanely fast (my son said I was doing over 70 kph in a 90° turn but it felt like 40. Smiley I was a bit worried because of the massive side-roll. 

Funny, the (curve) side of the seats pumps up when I do curves, to improve support. Nice option but I think I prefer a different approach (the always "on" support version Smiley). I get the sport buckets anyway, not sure they have this feature.

The sound of the station wagon also seems to be a bit muted vs. the sedan, maybe because the exhaust is wider away (is it? Haven't checked the specs) or maybe intentional. 

Power is insane. I just fully pressed the throttle and reached 180 kph in a blink of an eye, I'd say that up to 180 kph, this thing could almost keep up with my R8. Insane power. 

There are zero traction issues, something I always wanted in such a car. Absolutely great. 

Still, the whole car feels a bit soft, everything is moving, I miss the stiffness of the E63 sedan I drove, this is really weird. Could the tires make such a difference? Maybe. Maybe they gave this car also a slightly softer chassis setup. I don't know.

Only thing I would love to have on the E63: Ceramic brakes. The standard brake is OK but I miss the precision of the ceramic brake system. I will get used to it, I cannot get the ceramic brakes, they are almost 9k EUR, blowing up the lease rate (tax advisor said no). Of course I could pay them out of my pocket but hey, this is a family car, so... Smiley

My wife really likes the car (what a surprise), she drove it for half an hour and only said "take it". So I got her OK.

Now back to the dealer and unfortunately I forgot the LED multi beam option. I have to convince the sales guy to add this, free of cost, to the order. Won't be easy, he already lowered the lease rate by 120 EUR to get to the GLC level.

I am still not 100% sure, maybe it is a 60:40 in favor for the E63, still need to think about it. The GLC would be a stealth mini power SUV, the E63 is more "in your face" and it looks bigger. Hmm...will decide this week for sure.

From a performance point of view, especially for the Autobahn, the E63 is perfect. Just perfect.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

SciFrog:

Sorry but this is a quite ugly car... White makes it even worse...

It looks like your typical German station wagon. Standard family car in Germany. Pretty stealth if the car wouldn't have the AMG badges. 

My wife drove it and likes how it feels and looks inside but her last words were: "You don't take the station wagon, right? There is no way I would want to be seen in this one...". Smiley Smiley Message received but no worries here.

I get the Edition 1 sedan in selenite grey magno...if I decide to take it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

absent:

Here in Chicago area we have some suburbs with local ordinances that forbid ownership of any firearms.

Guess where 99% of home invasions happen?

Criminals are not stupid and don't want to needlessly risk their lives either......

Burglars over here go for "soft targets" but like I said, our region is pretty safe.

Still, I am used to different locations, so my paranoia has traveled with me. Sometimes unfortunately because my wife says what we have is overkill for Germany. Maybe but I sleep well at night. Smiley

--

"My wife really likes the car (what a surprise), she drove it for half an hour and only said "take it". So I got her OK."

She deserves those flowers anyway...Smiley

60:40. Lol. 

Final configuration (if we order it, this is how it is going to look alike). Decision has to be made until Friday because the Edition 1 ordering time frame (or available production slots) expires soon.

Kind of convinced my wife that we "need" the ceramic brakes, not because they are better or whatever but because they look better (meaner) and fit the yellow interior stitching better. Women. indecision angry Had to delete the safety assist package though...I hope she doesn't regret it.

image.MQ6.0.2x.20170907094429.jpeg
    image.MQ6.0.2x.20170907094429-2.jpeg
    image.MQ6.0.2x.20170907094429-3.jpeg

--

Looks great in that spec. Just pull the trigger already, you know it's the right choice. blush

Looks sharp kiss

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I'm glad you came to your senses.

Awesome spec.  Just do it. 

RC:
    Lars997:

What a hideous spec for such a car yes Not even having the tinted windows in the rear mail Looks really super stealth. 

The drive should not be any different from the Limousine, shouldn't it?

I didn't even notice that it doesn't have tinted windows but the car is actually well optioned inside (incl. Burmester but the cheaper version).

No, it does not drive like the sedan because it has winter tires (sedan had Michelin PS4S). The ride is pretty comfortable, even in Sport + mode and sportiest suspension setting but in curves, it is like a big ship (you can't really feel the weight but I guess the winter tires aren't optimal for this car), it has a lot of side-roll but it is still insanely fast (my son said I was doing over 70 kph in a 90° turn but it felt like 40. Smiley I was a bit worried because of the massive side-roll. 

Funny, the (curve) side of the seats pumps up when I do curves, to improve support. Nice option but I think I prefer a different approach (the always "on" support version Smiley). I get the sport buckets anyway, not sure they have this feature.

The sound of the station wagon also seems to be a bit muted vs. the sedan, maybe because the exhaust is wider away (is it? Haven't checked the specs) or maybe intentional. 

Power is insane. I just fully pressed the throttle and reached 180 kph in a blink of an eye, I'd say that up to 180 kph, this thing could almost keep up with my R8. Insane power. 

There are zero traction issues, something I always wanted in such a car. Absolutely great. 

Still, the whole car feels a bit soft, everything is moving, I miss the stiffness of the E63 sedan I drove, this is really weird. Could the tires make such a difference? Maybe. Maybe they gave this car also a slightly softer chassis setup. I don't know.

Only thing I would love to have on the E63: Ceramic brakes. The standard brake is OK but I miss the precision of the ceramic brake system. I will get used to it, I cannot get the ceramic brakes, they are almost 9k EUR, blowing up the lease rate (tax advisor said no). Of course I could pay them out of my pocket but hey, this is a family car, so... Smiley

My wife really likes the car (what a surprise), she drove it for half an hour and only said "take it". So I got her OK.

Now back to the dealer and unfortunately I forgot the LED multi beam option. I have to convince the sales guy to add this, free of cost, to the order. Won't be easy, he already lowered the lease rate by 120 EUR to get to the GLC level.

I am still not 100% sure, maybe it is a 60:40 in favor for the E63, still need to think about it. The GLC would be a stealth mini power SUV, the E63 is more "in your face" and it looks bigger. Hmm...will decide this week for sure.

From a performance point of view, especially for the Autobahn, the E63 is perfect. Just perfect.

Great summary!

Certainly - winter tires are not ideal and will give you roll and softness. However - it is a Mercedes and will always be more soft than a Porsche. 

I also expected that this is the perfect long distance, Autobahn, family vacation, cruising, comfortable sports car with space. I also expect that in the city it might be long and hard to find parking spots. Also in the city the higher seating position of the GLC gives you more overview. 

One other way to look on it - you are comparing a C-Class with an E-Class. The GLC is and stays a C. The entertainment, the huge screen of the E-Class. The insane high-end Burmester of the E (which is indeed very good and you know how I'm picky with it), just the higher weight and more steel around you - all those things is certainly a different class of car as the C-Class GLC. 

If you are happy with the lower seats and happy with the large dimensions, I wouldn't think not even a second longer. Get the E and you will have an insane and comfortable car. Especially if dealer gives you the same deal - its the higher priced car, the car with the higher loss on value and still the same lease? 

Looking forward to hear about your decision. 

I love your spec. However - the color is too flashy for a "understatement car" smiley

Check this here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Fw6sSoaBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXiaj5bTeQU

have the stickers deleted or removed when you receive it.

great spec and definitely the right choice over the GLC

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

have the stickers deleted or removed when you receive it.

great spec and definitely the right choice over the GLC

My wife wants to keep the black side sticker, just in case she likes it. She hasn't seen it yet, so we take delivery with it (it doesn't cost extra). If it doesn't look good, it can be removed in a couple of minutes.

I've seen it live (she didn't) and it looks very subtle, you can barely see it. It is how you can "identify" an Edition 1 model because the sticker isn't available for other models (according to my sales guy).

Also, the yellow stitching and the black Performance Seats inlays are only available for the Edition 1. There is no way to order this for a normal E class or even the E63.

Today at 11 we are signing the contract and change the order. Smiley

I am happy my wife agreed to the ceramic brakes (it is "her" car after all...). Looks much better with the yellow stitching, etc.. 

2018-01-25_09-54-45.jpg
    2018-01-25_09-52-28.jpg

Yellow stitching also for the steering wheel... Smiley

2018-Mercedes-AMG-E63-S-interior.jpg

--

Really liking that interior - MB have come a long way in the UK in the last 10 years - or perhaps I'm getting older?

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

Really liking that interior - MB have come a long way in the UK in the last 10 years - or perhaps I'm getting older?

Maybe both? Smiley

The truth is: I saw a couple of different E63 in different colors and interior options and most of them look...boring. Supped up E class. The color and interior options choice makes a huge difference with the E63.
    For buyers, this is actually an advantage: You can get a stealth one or one which attracts attention.

I was really thinking about not getting the Edition 1 and going with white instead of that selenite grey magno color. Certainly the more stealth choice without making the car too boring (interior would have been with the Performance seats but without that yellow stitching which wouldn't be available outside the Edition 1).

My wife insisted on something more "flashy" and yes, she is right: If you get a Mercedes E class, it needs to be "special" to not be boring. I get it but it will attract some unwanted attention. On the other hand, my wife is right: This is "just" a Mercedes E class, not a Porsche. Point made, so no worries here. Smiley

--

Funny story: My wife wanted to see the ceramic brake again, so we went to a AMG GT R the dealer had in the basement. When she saw the car, she asked the sales guy if she couldn't get the AMG GT R instead...until he told her that it has two seats only. You should have seen her face, poor woman. indecision angry My wife was serious...

The AMG GT R has a lot of street presence, especially in this color (it looks much better live than on photos!!!).

IMG_0917.jpg

It is done: We changed our order from the GLC 63 S AMG to the E 63 S AMG Edition 1.

No more Edition 1 available soon, model year change happens around June/July and end of this month is probably the last time people can order an Edition 1 because there are no more production slots and delivery time for the E63 is around 3-4 months.

--

Good decision! Well done!

Regarding the GT-R - good for her that AMG will soon launch the 4-door version! smiley

Lars997:

Regarding the GT-R - good for her that AMG will soon launch the 4-door version! smiley

Exactly what I have thought....

Congrats RC, I am sure you are not going to regret it kiss

Lars997:

I better don't tell her... Smiley

I really love my wife: She just called me to ask me if this was the car I really wanted (options and all) because she was worried I didn't "get" what I want (since we always switch cars and she wants me to drive what I like). Sweet. Smiley

--

Josef:
    Lars997:

Exactly what I have thought....

Congrats RC, I am sure you are not going to regret it kiss

Thanks. Smiley

I know...but now I really ordered it 99% the way I wanted it, especially that ceramic brake was on my mind because the red brake calipers didn't look good with the yellow stitching inside the car. Now I start to sound like my wife... Smiley

The remaining 1% is the large Burmester (I got the small one) system I didn't order because the lease rate would have been too high. I can live with that, the ceramic brake is more important. Smiley

--

Edition 1 review: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw5-08vrnYM

Also more Edition 1 photos:

14-2018-mercedes-amg-e63-la-1.jpg
    01-2018-mercedes-amg-e63-la-1.jpg
    06d40d3a087790a684678acfbbbd8f88x.jpg
    2018-Mercedes-AMG-E63-102-1.jpg
    2017-mercedes-amg-e63-s-la-2016-2.jpg
    2017-mercedes-amg-e63-s-la-2016.jpg
    zm-006.jpg

--

Yes, the more I look at it, the more I dislike that side sticker, so I think I am going to have it removed once the car arrives.

--

RC:
    Lars997:

I really love my wife: She just called me to ask me if this was the car I really wanted (options and all) because she was worried I didn't "get" what I want (since we always switch cars and she wants me to drive what I like). Sweet. Smiley

--

Congrats, Christian.

Your car is gonna look amazing. I love it ..Smiley..

And Congrats for having such a sweet wife. She sounds like a cracker Smiley Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Many congrats kisskiss

Selenit Grey Magno is the color to go with the E63S. With other colors the car looks different. So enjoy and have a happy waiting time...indecision

--

Conny997:

Many congrats kisskiss

Selenit Grey Magno is the color to go with the E63S. With other colors the car looks different. So enjoy and have a happy waiting time...indecision

Thanks a lot Smiley  and yes, selenite grey magno was the only possible choice for us. Also because the Edition 1 comes only in this color...apparently. If i wanted something more stealth but not too boring, I would have gone with white or, as a more flashy solution, that designo night black magno (black metallic matte color). Unfortunately that black matte color can't be ordered with carbon interior. It looks quite nice though.

I really thought hard about switching from the GLC63 order to the E63 but the E63 is just the better car for me and probably even for the family. We seldom have very high snow, so a SUV isn't a must. AWD is a must and we need enough room for the kids and some luggage. The E63 offers plenty of that, we already tried (we took three suitcases and the skis with us to the dealer...oh boy, you should have seen the looks of the people there Smiley).

The interior of the GLC just looks outdated...can't help it.

The E63 is extremely color sensitive, people need to be careful what they order. NEVER EVER order a color without seeing it live, it can ruin the whole car experience for you. 

For example: That optional Designo diamond white bright color has a tendency to show a bit of a shade similar to the...taxi color in Germany. Depends on the light. Ouch. 

--

throt:
    Congrats, Christian.

Your car is gonna look amazing. I love it ..Smiley..

And Congrats for having such a sweet wife. She sounds like a cracker Smiley Smiley..

Thanks. Smiley

Regarding my wife: She has her moments. Smiley Smiley

Just kidding: She wants me to be happy...probably because she knows that I can bitch around when I ain't. Smiley

--

Haha,

I love your car choice, 106k over here, wouldn't have a clue what you need to put on it because I have never configured a Merc. I like the RS6 too kiss..GT3 fantastic but would love something that does the lot. I would always keep my GT3 as well though, she is staying devil.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

The E63 S will replace my wife's Cayenne S Diesel in June.

The C63 S Convertible Facelift will replace my 991.2 Carrera GTS Convertible in October.

R8 stays (of course). Smiley

Mini JCW will leave us in October, no replacement. Saw a nice A45 AMG today, fully loaded with Performance seats for 700 EUR per month but this is a bit too much for a car we barely use.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689059 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408944 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255639 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234891 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65477 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857774 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773750 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM