Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2018 E63 from AMG is back

martini964:

GLC Christine, my wife will get one too, The AMG version is not boring at all ( look wise )

She gets the GLC 63 S AMG? Didn't know. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

136k for a GLC seems like way too much money...

SciFrog:

136k for a GLC seems like way too much money...

This is MSRP, Edition 1, (almost) full options.

Car base price is almost 92k EUR.

I am in kind of dilemma right now: Dealer just did the numbers on the lease and offers the E63 S AMG for the exact same money as the GLC 63 S AMG.

Delivery in May as well, no problem. 

I told him to give us another car for a test-drive but I am still not convinced.

This is the color I would choose (actually same color as the GLC 63 S AMG I ordered): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsPG9J-W_9s

This is basically how the car looks (I didn't take the ceramic brake system because the car would get too expensive, it is already almost fully loaded) but without that black side stripe.

mercedes-benz-amg-amg-e-63-s-4matic-premium-S3271268-1.jpg

Oh...I just realized it actually comes with that black stripe because I chose the Edition 1 package. Smiley

This is how the interior looks (incl. sport seats)..."my" steering wheel is on the other side of course. Smiley

Mercedes-AMG-E-63-s-4MATIC-45.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

You’re not 50years old and you’re interested in an old mans sedan? Stick with the SUV although I think it’s overpriced.

Either way, If your spending this kind of money, be sure you’re fully committed to your decision. It seems like your not committed to either. Why are you test driving another MB when you have one on order?

i think you should look at the Ranger Rover Sport or Valear. Fabulous SUV.

--

You have your way. I have my way. As for the correct way and the only way, it does not exist.

You could go with the GLC and bring it to Brabus (600hp) indecision

nberry:

You’re not 50years old and you’re interested in an old mans sedan? Stick with the SUV although I think it’s overpriced.

It is not overpriced. A fully loaded Macan Turbo Performance Package would cost similar money. The Macan Turbo Performance has a V6 Biturbo and "only" 440 hp. The GLC has 510 hp and a V8 Biturbo. Sounds also amazing. The lease offer is also much better than for the Macan...around 300 EUR cheaper. All good. Smiley

Btw: I am 53. Smiley

Either way, If your spending this kind of money, be sure you’re fully committed to your decision. It seems like your not committed to either. Why are you test driving another MB when you have one on order?

i think you should look at the Ranger Rover Sport or Valear. Fabulous SUV.

I like the GLC 63 S AMG a lot and actually always wanted such a SUV, small and powerful (Macan was almost perfect but the engine drove me crazy). My top choice would have been the new Cayenne Turbo though but paying almost 1000 bucks more per month for a family truck? Nope.

No Range Rover for me, too expensive (lease) and my wife isn't a fan of the design. Smiley

The E63 S is just a crazy thought but I don't want to think about it all the time after I get the GLC. I need to drive the car again, to see how my wife likes driving it (she loves SUVs), how she feels in it and so on.

I am 80% sure I will choose the GLC but I need a peace of mind. Smiley

--

It's a very subjective choice. Go with what you like most.

It you over think it, you might end-up with the better car but not with the one you truly want.

That said, in this case, the E63 is clearly the better car: the E63 is faster, handles and corners better, has the better interior (E-class vs c-class, not to mention you will have the same interior in the GLC and the C63 also have on order), is way faster, etc

I don't like how the wagon E63 looks like but it would definitely be the more practical car of the 2.

It it was my money, I'd have the E63. It's the best DD on the market right now int this price range.

Josef:

You could go with the GLC and bring it to Brabus (600hp) indecision

I know...I was thinking about it (seriously) but my sales guy said that they do not offer Brabus kit installations by their dealership directly and this basically means that if something happens, I have no warranty (only the Brabus one). Major problem here is that the car is a lease, so I could get in serious trouble.

In Germany, Mercedes factory dealerships (mine is one) have those stupid car testers installed in the workshop, where when you connect the ECU to them, they send the data to Mercedes online and they immediately receive even updates. Meaning: Tuned cars are immediately "detected" and the software could be overwritten as well, stupid situation if this happens.

The GLC 63 S AMG is as fast as the new Cayenne Turbo (this is why I chose the GLC instead), so I think this is good enough for a family truck. Smiley

--

amazon:

It's a very subjective choice. Go with what you like most.

New Cayenne Turbo? Smiley

It you over think it, you might end-up with the better car but not with the one you truly want.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Smiley It happened before.

That said, in this case, the E63 is clearly the better car: the E63 is faster, handles and corners better, has the better interior (E-class vs c-class, not to mention you will have the same interior in the GLC and the C63 also have on order), is way faster, etc

I know, the E63 is a beast, the GLC is a beast as well but...for a SUV only. I love the E63 interior, seriously. The GLC interior looks a bit outdated, even if my car gets those nice sport seats, yellow stitching (Edition 1), Alcantara and whatnot.

I don't like how the wagon E63 looks like but it would definitely be the more practical car of the 2.

I would never get the station wagon E63, it looks like a hearse, especially in black.

It it was my money, I'd have the E63. It's the best DD on the market right now int this price range.

True, especially since the dealer clearly offers the better deal for the E63 (GLC is 15k EUR cheaper but lease cost would be identical, probably because the GLC is in high demand).

I really need to think this through before I make the final decision because otherwise, I could regret it. Peace of mind, important. Smiley Smiley

--

Christian, don’t be mesmerized by power. This is primarily a family car. Enough of the thinking my penis is bigger than yours by  buying stupid hp rather than practically and functionality. You seem intent on spending your hard earned money solely on power which you will rarely use and inconveniencing the family comfort and safety.

--

You have your way. I have my way. As for the correct way and the only way, it does not exist.

RC, you will be happier with the GLC. You have the R8, you don’t need a sporty sedan. IMHO sedans only makes sense as a compromise car in a household limited in car slots. SUV/crossover/convertible sport car combo makes more sense.

As far as the car build itself, you won’t be surprised to read I find it utterly boring angry at least it is not triple black.

Just curious - given your preference for SUVs and the fact that you find saloon cars boring - what is it that attracts you to this car?

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Just curious - given your preference for SUVs and the fact that you find saloon cars boring - what is it that attracts you to this car?

Looks (yes, I really like how it looks in that color, selenite grey magno), I cannot believe it myself.

Interior is very nice, I am a gadgetry type of guy and surprisingly, even my wife likes it (she hates the Tesla interior).

Performance of course, this thing is amazingly fast for it's size and weight.

Finally, the sound and the steering, Mercedes has done a great job here, even if the sound is a tiny bit less muscle car like than the one of the C63 for example.

So yes, there are a couple of things attracting me to this car. I already had a E55 in the past and I loved it but only thing which put me off was the traction issues. If you can barely put your foot down without the rear going sideways, this is no fun anymore on a family car. The Panamera Turbo S I had didn't have this issue but the Panamera felt (and looked) massive, I suddenly felt like an old guy driving a Mercedes S class, even if the Panamera certainly was no slouch at all.

The new E 63 looks more compact (I know this is no small car) and I like it but only and only in this specific color and only the E63. I cannot stand the normal E class variants, none of them. Smiley Also hate the station wagon, incl. the E63 version.

--

It is a great-looking car, and no doubt a beast to drive. If I needed a big car it would certainly be in my list!

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

No,she'll get 43, not 63

nberry:

Christian, don’t be mesmerized by power. This is primarily a family car. Enough of the thinking my penis is bigger than yours by  buying stupid hp rather than practically and functionality. You seem intent on spending your hard earned money solely on power which you will rarely use and inconveniencing the family comfort and safety.

I understand what you mean and yes, my decision will also be based on how my wife (and the kids) feel about the decision. My son wants, of course, the E63 (this car has kind of an amazing reputation among adolescent car fans of his age Smiley) but wife would probably prefer the GLC for various reasons, incl. visibility. My daughter? She misses "her" Cayenne Turbo S (955) she was moved in as a child, she would love another Cayenne but she is OK with the GLC as well, as long as I am happy with it (daddy's girl Smiley Smiley).

True, one of the main reasons attracting me to the E63 is the massive power this car has. However, it is also the driving itself, Mercedes did a wonderful job on the new E63, it feels sportier than the C63 S AMG convertible I drove (and ordered), to my surprise. The steering in the new E63 is excellent, so is the engine and chassis (a bit bumpy on some roads but I like it this way).

The input of ALL of you is greatly appreciated since it helps to make the right decision. Not because I necessarily will listen to you guys, sorry Smiley but because it helps me to identify my weaknesses and keeps me initiating new thought processes which in the end will help me (hopefully) to make the right (for me) decisions. Thanks a lot for that. Smiley Smiley

--

martini964:

No,she'll get 43, not 63

Has she tried it? My wife didn't like the GLC43 too much, very boring (her words). She didn't have the chance to drive the new GLC63 either (no dealer car available) but she drove the C63 S convertible and the GLC has the same engine and she loved the sound and how it "feels" (I hope she doesn't kill herself in it, she has a nervous throttle foot Smiley).

--

lol, what do you think?, she likes the headlights , interior , cargo and position seat, doesn't matter ( know ) if it comes with toyota/mazda or mercedes badge.blush

martini964:

lol, what do you think?, she likes the headlights , interior , cargo and position seat, doesn't matter ( know ) if it comes with toyota/mazda or mercedes badge.blush

Yeah, I know. Wives. Smiley Smiley

--

DaveGordon:

It is a great-looking car, and no doubt a beast to drive. If I needed a big car it would certainly be in my list!

We don't really "need" it but we need a car we can take the kids (or friends) with us for short(er) trips in Germany and Europe (mostly Austria and Italy). Also a car for skiing (so it definitely needs AWD to make our lives easier).

At first, we wanted to rent a car for such occasions but we did it once (BMW XM5) and weren't too happy, it just didn't feel like our car, we also had a minor issue with it and at some point, we decided to get a permanent car (again) to replace the Cayenne S Diesel. 

This is going to be a company car, my wife will drive a lot in it, especially in the city to visit her patients (no issues with parking since she has a special permit). So most of the cost will be deductible but the lease cost isn't really that high (around 1450 EUR per month incl. VAT, no down payment) anyway.

--

Let her drive the Land Rover sport or Velaer and she will forget the MB. If its a business expense the cost can't be that much more. 

--

nberry:

Let her drive the Land Rover sport or Velaer and she will forget the MB. If its a business expense the cost can't be that much more. 

She doesn't like Range Rover. Smiley Also, it costs much more (lease), around 2000 EUR per month. This is the SVR of course, I wouldn't want to drive anything else. Smiley

--

Don't need the SVR. The RRS ia more than enough. Unbeatable luxury, off road capability and priced very right. FWIW, here in the States, the Land Rover is considered a top end SUV with a chic following.

--

nberry:

Don't need the SVR. The RRS ia more than enough. Unbeatable luxury, off road capability and priced very right. FWIW, here in the States, the Land Rover is considered a top end SUV with a chic following.

I have to drive this car too, so... Smiley

Daddy needs to have some fun too. Smiley

--

Having a RRS supercharged, never wanted more hp so the SVR might not make sense. Plus no third row in SVR...

The Macan feels it could use a bit more than 400hp but it has to do with the V6 turbo being very linear... Still fun and fast with PDK....

SciFrog:

Having a RRS supercharged, never wanted more hp so the SVR might not make sense. Plus no third row in SVR...

The Macan feels it could use a bit more than 400hp but it has to do with the V6 turbo being very linear... Still fun and fast with PDK....

You know that I didn't like the Macan and I could have taken the Performance Package version now, with 40 hp more.

The engine is just not what I want in a SUV, I want a nice sounding V8. Even the V8 in the new Cayenne Turbo isn't what I expected but it sounds (a bit) better than in the previous version.

Also, why should I lie: I was thinking about the new Jeep GC Trackhawk as well, former Jeep dealer offered me his first one for March delivery. Official EU specs car, no grey import but it is way too expensive (for a Jeep). My former SRT was 62k or so (after a huge 20k discount for business customers) but this time, there wasn't any special discount or lease offer. I won't pay 1500 EUR per month for a Jeep, sorry. 

--

Watch at around 8:00 and 11:50...some nice E63 material (Edition 1 version but different color than "mine").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgLC5fN__a8

--

At around 6:20..."my" color again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DqhsehGa88

--

@RC

go for the E63s, it's the better car for your needs and according to one of the latest Sport Auto issues that car was just mind blowing @Supertest!!

Christian Gebhardt was totally in love with it, the performance was just incredible, not only in straight line but as well in Nbrg and Hockenheimring:

"...Er brauchte lediglich 7:45,19 Minuten, um den über 2100 kg schweren, schwäbischen Pampersbomber über die 20,83 km der Nordschleife zu pilotieren. Das ist sogar schneller als ein Porsche 997 GT3 RS, der mit 7:48min über zweiSekunden langsamer ist...."

Link  http://www.evocars-magazin.de/2017/11/24/mercedes-e63-s-amg-t-modell-schnellster-kombi-am-ring/

His final comment about that car was that if money wouldn't be an issue he''d buy two E63s, one for the road and another one without all luxury gadgets, only one race seat, windows made of macrolon,...

RC:

This is going to be a company car, my wife will drive a lot in it, especially in the city to visit her patients (no issues with parking since she has a special permit). So most of the cost will be deductible but the lease cost isn't really that high (around 1450 EUR per month incl. VAT, no down payment) anyway.

If she is driving quite a bit in the city I assume the GLC is better choice. Apart from that, I second what many people have said above... you have always steered towards SUVs so I would be quite surprised if you go for the E-class this time. On the other hand something seems to attract you, it is quite surprising that the car has a similar lease rate as the GLC although the car is a notch above that one in terms of model category, size and power. 

From what I've gathered from early test drives, the suspension of the GLC63 seems to be on the stiff side, not sure how relevant that is for you.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690816 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410070 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256156 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235379 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858751 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775033 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM