Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2018 E63 from AMG is back

Leawood911:

Wife has a new Honda HRV. Awesome little SUV. $200 lease. 

If your wife is happy with it... Smiley

My wife was funny:

First, she wanted to buy(!) my 991.1 C4 GTS Cab out of the lease, then she decided she needs more space and a less attraction catching car. 

Then, she said "I want something cheaper, car cost is too high...". Until our financial advisor told her she needs something more expensive (if she enjoys a more expensive car because it is still out of her money...) to lower her tax payments because she doesn't "spend" enough for her business. Smiley

So she took that C63 S AMG Cab test-drive (though I really had to force her because she liked the Diesel she drove in Mallorca after the previous C63 Cab was damaged by another driver) and now she is in love with the AMG. Reason? She said "this car is so nervous...like me..." Smiley Not sure this is a good thing, especially in rain but the ESP seems to work OK for her, so no problem.

For my wife, the car is part of her image, she doesn't really enjoy driving it...usually. I guess this is valid for many women. Smiley

One of her best friends drives a used Mini Cooper. She is 50 but very obsessed with fitness stuff and her looks (sound familiar? Smiley Smiley). That Mini cost her only 11k (used) and is not really a nice car to drive (smallest 4-cyl. fuel engine available at that time) but she drives it because she thinks this car makes her look...younger. Smiley Smiley

Women...you have to love them. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Leawood911:

Wife has a new Honda HRV. Awesome little SUV. $200 lease. 

If your wife is happy with it... Smiley

My wife was funny:

First, she wanted to buy(!) my 991.1 C4 GTS Cab out of the lease, then she decided she needs more space and a less attraction catching car. 

Then, she said "I want something cheaper, car cost is too high...". Until our financial advisor told her she needs something more expensive (if she enjoys a more expensive car because it is still out of her money...) to lower her tax payments because she doesn't "spend" enough for her business. Smiley

So she took that C63 S AMG Cab test-drive (though I really had to force her because she liked the Diesel she drove in Mallorca after the previous C63 Cab was damaged by another driver) and now she is in love with the AMG. Reason? She said "this car is so nervous...like me..." Smiley Not sure this is a good thing, especially in rain but the ESP seems to work OK for her, so no problem.

For my wife, the car is part of her image, she doesn't really enjoy driving it...usually. I guess this is valid for many women. Smiley

One of her best friends drives a used Mini Cooper. She is 50 but very obsessed with fitness stuff and her looks (sound familiar? Smiley Smiley). That Mini cost her only 11k (used) and is not really a nice car to drive (smallest 4-cyl. fuel engine available at that time) but she drives it because she thinks this car makes her look...younger. Smiley Smiley

Women...you have to love them. Smiley

I understand that people dont see the value or reason in buying expensive cars. You must have oil and petrol in your blood to spend thousands of Euros monthly into your cars. So - it is up to everyone self what to do with their money. 

And - I understand that your wife says the C63 is to nervous. It can be very tiring driving such toys ;)

It is actually pretty funny that my wife likes the C63 because it is nervous.  Actually, this is what I do not like that much about the car...and that too comfy chassis setup (it misses that "Knackigkeit", that directness from other real sportscars, you know what I mean).

Speaking of not paying so much for cars: I picked up my Mini JCW from service yesterday and there was that black BMW 240i X-drive (the Coupe) in the showroom, smiling at me. Talked to the sales guy, car is fully loaded, lease would be only slightly over 500 EUR (we negotiated and he dropped from 600 to 550 but I'm sure I would have gotten him to 500 or close to it) per month without any initial payment. I was very tempted, a 340 hp engine in such a small package plus AWD. If I didn't have the Mini, I would have signed the contract on the spot.

Even today, I was thinking of getting it instead of the GLC63 but my wife would kill me...we need a small SUV, not another coupe or whatever. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I know exactly what you are talking about. The C43 is fun but more comfortable than Sporty. On longer drives and town to town it is a lot of fun. In the city however I sometimes misses that sharpness not only from the chassis but also from the engine. The Turbo lack is sometimes there - in example if you are in town and drive through the neighborhood where you have to slow down on every street to the right. You let the car roll then accelerate again - that moment the car always have a second delay which kind of sucks. I installed a pedal optimizer which gives it a bit more sharpness in those moments. However - the Chassis is like it is. 

Stay off that 240ix - it will be the same like the C43/63. It is also not a Mini. The Mini is super fun because of its "Knackigkeit" - you cant find that in another compact car.

Lars997:

I know exactly what you are talking about. The C43 is fun but more comfortable than Sporty. On longer drives and town to town it is a lot of fun. In the city however I sometimes misses that sharpness not only from the chassis but also from the engine. The Turbo lack is sometimes there - in example if you are in town and drive through the neighborhood where you have to slow down on every street to the right. You let the car roll then accelerate again - that moment the car always have a second delay which kind of sucks. I installed a pedal optimizer which gives it a bit more sharpness in those moments. However - the Chassis is like it is. 

Stay off that 240ix - it will be the same like the C43/63. It is also not a Mini. The Mini is super fun because of its "Knackigkeit" - you cant find that in another compact car.

True but the traction issues drive me crazy... A Mini with 231 hp should have AWD.

--

Just get the 180ho version angry

SciFrog:

Just get the 180ho version angry

Smiley Smiley Nope. The Mini JCW is most fun on...the Autobahn. It surprises people and I love it. Feels a bit unstable in narrow curves though...at over 250 kph (speedo). Smiley Smiley

I also enjoy the car in the city (downtown) when I have to park somewhere. Other than that, no way I am getting a Mini again. Smiley

--

https://youtu.be/_KJVR32W1KU

https://youtu.be/X-CYm8qvb2o

OK, guys. Drove the new E63 S AMG 4matic today, in that well known selenite grey magno everyone seems to know and love (matte metallic grey).

Surprisingly, my wife liked the car (though she is not a Mercedes fan, she doesn't really like sedans and she definitely doesn't like the E class), which surprised both of us.

Not only that, I actually liked the new E63 S AMG as well but only in this color. They also had a black one, which looked very unspectacular and...boring.

Now this got me thinking: The interior, especially that cockpit, is very nice, the displays are big and very clear to rear. Comfort is great as well, ride can be a bit bumpy but I love that. Engine is a monster, sound is good (not as good as on the C63 though, it sounds a bit higher pitched, not perfect and not that much V8 muscle car like but acceptable.

Steering and chassis are excellent, especially in the various sport modes, AWD system is amazing as well, haven't tried the drift mode yet.

Overall, a very nice car and it got me thinking: It is faster than the GLC, it has some pretty nice interior and my wife likes it too. Now I am thinking about getting this one instead of the GLC and dealer already said he could maybe get me an Edition 1. Only problem is: This car is 151k EUR, the GLC 63 S AMG is 136k EUR. Meaning: Not sure if I am getting the same lease deal for this one (E63), it could be more expensive. Since this is a company car, I am on a budget here, so...

What would you guys do? I had an older E55 before and sold it after only 6 months because it had serious traction issues and I didn't feel like a sedan type of guy. Same with the Panamera Turbo S: Loved it for the driving, had AWD and no traction issues but I always felt old in this car, can't help it.

Am I going to make the same mistake again? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not.

Another (minor) issue: Car has limited luggage room but it is enough for two larger suitcases, so not a real problem here.

Will have my dealer crunch some numbers next week but I am tempted. 

Still not 100% convinced though, the GLC 63 S AMG would be really special (smallest SUV with a V8) and it has a bit more luggage room and is safer during winter time. 

Wife left me the choice (since she needs to switch cars with me in winter time), GLC or E class, no problem. Only no-go is the G63 after she's seen it again today. "Never ever...", she really hates it. yes

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Stay with the GLC 63. It will fulfill your overall demands at best. I really like the E63 for its power and the whole technical package but at the end the appearance of the car is boring imho.

--

GLC 63 fits what you better imo.

while I personally would prefer the E over the GLC, I tend to be of the opinion that one should always stay with their original choice....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

You ve done that before , twice. What happened to the :” sorry guys , I am just not a sedan person “ ?

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

You ve done that before , twice. What happened to the :” sorry guys , I am just not a sedan person “ ?

Thanks, guys. I think you are right. Will stick to the GLC but there is still that "itch"... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

151K Euro for an E-Class? LOL. That's one way to piss away money.

noone1:

151K Euro for an E-Class? LOL. That's one way to piss away money.

136k for a GLC is better? Smiley I lease these cars, don't care about resale value. 

The E63 really looks nice, different than the normal E class but I have never been a sedan type of guy (none of the sedans I had made me happy for a very long time, not even the Panamera Turbo S), so I guess I know that I should get the GLC 63 as planned.

Performance is amazing, car is fun to drive, interior looks also very nice and modern (the gadgetry actually attracts me more than the one in the Tesla S I drove, funny...), it sounds nice (but a bit less nice than the C63 for example) and with the right color (selenite grey magno, which is a matte metallic color), it looks really great.

My wife said I already have the R8 as a fun car and she may be right but I cannot ignore the performance difference between the GLC 63 S AMG and the new E63 S AMG 4matic. From 0-200 kph, the E class is probably almost three seconds faster and I read somewhere that from 0-300 kph, the new E63 needs under 30 seconds, which would be amazing.

Decisions... Smiley

I will probably stick to the GLC 63 but the E63 is tempting. Drive it, it will really blow your mind (for a four door sedan).

--

Get the T and a tune from Brabus to 700HP

Stick with your original choice, the GLC but try to order it in the E class color you liked so much.

--

There is no try. Just do.

Get both!

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

I absolutely love the new E63S, I'd get one over a GLC in a heartbeat. But you've confessed your love for SUV's many times already, I think you should stick to that.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

E63 > GLC, period. The wagon even better. Chris Harris' review leaves little doubt about the capabilities of the new Merc.

Having said that, in your particular case you should stick to the original idea otherwise in 4 months you'll be here complaining about how old you feel driving a car like this haha

E63, the GLC AMG 63 looks like a pimped up version of a cheap car. On my last trip in Germany have seen a lot of "normal" GLC's but they look boring. Saw on E 63S this car makes an impression WAW

why don't you check out the new M5? looks are much better than the E63.

Having a choice between SUV (no matter how good it is) and a very good sedan (that E63 certainly is) a sedan is my choice, always.

If that car can work for you for practical reasons and you already have the nod from your wife then it would be no brainer for me.

As far as "boring", GLC will bore you faster then the E, no question about it and the E drives so well that it will keep you entertained for much longer time then any SUV would.

Take the E63 and thank me later.Smiley

Can't tell that car from the old model.....

Also, in all independent dyno testings, the new E63S is shown to be seriously underestimated by official numbers, shows around 600hp AT THE WHEELS (670-680 crank).Smiley

GLC Christine, my wife will get one too, The AMG version is not boring at all ( look wise )

Recently I sat in one in selenite grey magno, looks really impressive.

The car is stiff & the sport seats do not do it any favors.

Compared to S63 sedan, real luxury with power to match, facelifted S63 gets the same engine & gearbox.

Was interested in the E63, not anymore, you really do feel the difference between the E and the S.

pmarkow:

why don't you check out the new M5? looks are much better than the E63.

I like the looks of the new E63 much better but only in that one and only color selenite grey magno. Wouldn't take any other color. The M5 looks even more than a regular 5 series than the E63 looks like a regular E class and don't forget that I live in Bavaria, where there is a 5 series sedan or station wagon at basically every street corner. Smiley

Also, the M5 sounds horrible and yes, I heard it (haven't driven it yet though). Not much difference to the "old" one. The E63 sounds much better but to my surprise less muscle car like than the C63. Smiley Still, good sound.

Interior loks futuristic, very nice. I didn't like the dash from photos but live, it looks amazing. Very nice.

Dealer is crunching numbers, just for kicks, will know later the day if it will be cheaper than the GLC (I highly doubt it since the GLC is 136k and the configured E63 is 151k).

--

JR-550:

E63, the GLC AMG 63 looks like a pimped up version of a cheap car. On my last trip in Germany have seen a lot of "normal" GLC's but they look boring. Saw on E 63S this car makes an impression WAW

I agree, the regular GLC looks boring. The GLC 63 AMG looks different though. I have seen it live only once at my dealership when a Mercedes guy was there (only looked at the exterior though and car was white) but it definitely looks better than the regular one. Especially the front is nice (Panamericana grille) but also the wider rear (it looks really "massive" from the rear), which is probably related to the usage of the E63 rear axle in the GLC.

Me and my wife are 80% for the GLC but the E63 made us thinking...so we will take one for a test-drive again, so my wife can drive it too.

I have to admit though that I will think this through this time and will not rush into things, only because the E63 is faster and/or sportier. 

Btw: The new E63 feels sportier than the C63, Mercedes has apparently tweaked the steering, feels great.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691078 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410189 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256238 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235422 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858840 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775134 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM