Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Wash without drying

Has anybody tried this system or similar system for washing your car(s)?

http://crspotless.com/

Re: Wash without drying

Yup... Have the system and let my black car air dry. Philadelphia water is supper hard and would water spot without it.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Has anybody tried this system or similar system for washing your car(s)?

http://crspotless.com/

Best price I've found

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.asp...topnav=&s=1

I'd be skeptical about the estimated/claimed capacity. Depends on your water quality. At probably nearly us$1 per gallon, I'd do it as a last resort.

You'd still have to dry the water under the bonnet, doors, engine cover, etc. For a huge motor home or a boat I could see where this type of system would make sense & save someone time but for a small high end sports car drying is an important part of cleaning. I wouldn't want to leave water when I can help it. After washing I use a water blade which safely removes 90% of standing water & then blow out water from body panels etc. using a Vac & Blow which filters the blown air. Then use a micro fiber drying towel to wipe down the rest of the water which hardly makes the towel wet because there's very little water left but whats left (under bonet etc.) should really be dryed. Plus leaving the car wet would take away from that satisfying feeling you get when you finish & the car is dry & clean wouldn't it? It would for me.

Water Blade:
    http://www.californiacardusters.com/12waterblade.html

Vac & Blo:
    http://www.metrovacworld.com/Shopping/product.asp?catalog_name=metrovac&product_id=VacNBloAuto

Micro Fiber Drying Towel:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1003&SKU=11023

The above might sound like a lot of work but it's really the quickest part of washing/drying, I've got it down to a science & it takes maybe 7 minutes. Also I don't wash my cars in the summer sun when glass/paint is hot because of the potential for water spots.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    You'd still have to dry the water under the bonnet, doors, engine cover, etc. For a huge motor home or a boat I could see where this type of system would make sense & save someone time but for a small high end sports car drying is an important part of cleaning. I wouldn't want to leave water when I can help it. After washing I use a water blade which safely removes 90% of standing water & then blow out water from body panels etc. using a Vac & Blow which filters the blown air. Then use a micro fiber drying towel to wipe down the rest of the water which hardly makes the towel wet because there's very little water left but whats left (under bonet etc.) should really be dryed. Plus leaving the car wet would take away from that satisfying feeling you get when you finish & the car is dry & clean wouldn't it? It would for me.

Water Blade:
    http://www.californiacardusters.com/12waterblade.html

Vac & Blo:
    http://www.metrovacworld.com/Shopping/product.asp?catalog_name=metrovac&product_id=VacNBloAuto

Micro Fiber Drying Towel:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1003&SKU=11023

The above might sound like a lot of work but it's really the quickest part of washing/drying, I've got it down to a science & it takes maybe 7 minutes. Also I don't wash my cars in the summer sun when glass/paint is hot because of the potential for water spots.

Thanks guys. I was skeptical as well. Good method there Gregg. I hate to scracth my brand new paint. I'll try out these methods. What a awesome site. You guys are the best

With how soft the paint on modern porsches are, I would personally hesitate to use the water blade. I use the big blue towel, blower might be a good option to pick up as well.

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    With how soft the paint on modern porsches are, I would personally hesitate to use the water blade.

I use the big blue towel...

I agree with you about the blade.

And I also use the Big Blue...don't know how I survived before I got one.

Soory but who makes ths Big blue towel?

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Soory but who makes ths Big blue towel?

Check out this link... Big Blue drying towel

If you go over your car with a low velocity/steady stream of water (from a hose)...removing a large amount of the surface water...the Big Blue will dry a Turbo in just minutes...it's that good.

Cool. Thanks again guys. Just ordered 2 of them

I use a leaf blower, $60 model from Toro called Super Blower. This was mentioned in the past as probably the best way to blow off excess water from the wheel and brake area so that rusty color water doesn't drip onto the inside of the rim. Of course it works perfectly and quickly for the rest of the car also as the jet stream is extremely powerful. YMMV but one try with this and you might not use any other method again. Blow, then touch up with a dry towel and there won't be one spot on your car once the job is done.

I wrap the tip with some duct tape so that even if I touch the car with it, no harm is done.

Only issue is neighbors might look at you funny, going at your car with a leaf blower. Just don't do it early Sunday morning and things should be cool.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601...gt_adv_XSG10001

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    With how soft the paint on modern porsches are, I would personally hesitate to use the water blade. I use the big blue towel, blower might be a good option to pick up as well.

The Silicone that the blade is made of is a lot 'soft'er than Porsche paint.

Been using the blade for 6-7 years on my Porsche's , Ferrari's etc. Never had a scratch. You have a much better chance at a scratch by using a towel and having a dirt particle adhere to it which doesn't happen w/ the blade. Been an OCD car care nut since I was 17 & found a method after trying everything possible that works best. The blade is an awesome tool that is safer & quicker to use than any towel.

But if you want to try the very best drying towel on the market try the Ultra thick Micro Fiber Drying Towel from Griots #11023 . The Griots #11117 Drying towel is just like the Big Blue Towel, I've tried both.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    I use a leaf blower, $60 model from Toro called Super Blower. This was mentioned in the past as probably the best way to blow off excess water from the wheel and brake area so that rusty color water doesn't drip onto the inside of the rim. Of course it works perfectly for the rest of the car also. YMMV but one try with this and you might not use any other method again. Blow, then touch up with a dry towel and there won't be one spot on your car once the job is done.

I cover the tip with some duct tape so that even if I touch car, no harm is done.

Only issue is neighbors might look at you funny, going at your car with a leaf blower. Just don't do it early Sunday morning and things should be cool.

Be real careful w/ leaf blower's. Unless it is filtered air there is a good chance you blowing dusty air onto the paint. The Vac & Blo is made so that the air goes through a filter first. Cann, you should try the Metro Vac & Blo it's designed to blo air off auto's.

silver,
    Try here, some good differences of opinion on washing/drying. One of the big things for me is I don't use bath towels any longer, imo they do more harm then good.

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=997&Number=126094&page=3&fpart=1

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Been using the blade for 6-7 years on my Porsche's , Ferrari's etc. Never had a scratch. You have a much better chance at a scratch by using a towel and having a dirt particle adhere to it which doesn't happen w/ the blade. Been an OCD car care nut since I was 17 & found a method after trying everything possible that works best. The blade is an awesome tool that is safer & quicker to use than any towel.

But if you want to try the very best drying towel on the market try the Ultra thick Micro Fiber Drying Towel from Griots #11023 . The Griots #11117 Drying towel is just like the Big Blue Towel, I've tried both.

It seems to me that the blade wouldn't work too well on the door jams, engine compartment lid (interior and exterior), and interior of the front trunk area...to mention a few. And you think the blade wouldn't drag a dirt particle across the paint?

If you want to try the very best drying towel on the market...try the Big Blue.

Gregg,

I assume you have that Vac & Blo? It's powerful enough? It's hard to judge since there is no standard but for example if you put it againts the wheel, it will blow off the water inside the wheel well and brake? The leaf blower gives a "wind" speed of 200 mph; I wonder if the Vac & Blo has some similar rating??

I don't have any problem with dirt since the car is always washed in a clean area with cement floor and the intake is held high by necessity, but the Metro Vac & Blo looks very nice and easier to handle. If the blow speed is as powerful, it would be hard for me to resist. TIA.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Be real careful w/ leaf blower's. Unless it is filtered air there is a good chance you blowing dusty air onto the paint. The Vac & Blo is made so that the air goes through a filter first. Cann, you should try the Metro Vac & Blo it's designed to blo air off auto's.

I have the Spotless system and I am very happy with it. I have the smaller unit and it lasts about a year between resin changes, which are very easy. My car is slate, and my water quality sucks. I still wipe the car down with MF towels, but I don't have to be so anal about it with this water system, which I only use for the final rinse down. The meter measures the "crud" content of the water supply (about 280-300 ppm, around here) as well as the efficiency of the filtering (down to 0 ppm). Overall, I am pleased and recommend this for anyone with lousy water (high mineral content).

Quote:
    cannga said:
    I use a leaf blower, $60 model from Toro called Super Blower. This was mentioned in the past as probably the best way to blow off excess water from the wheel and brake area so that rusty color water doesn't drip onto the inside of the rim. Of course it works perfectly and quickly for the rest of the car also as the jet stream is extremely powerful. YMMV but one try with this and you might not use any other method again. Blow, then touch up with a dry towel and there won't be one spot on your car once the job is done.

I wrap the tip with some duct tape so that even if I touch the car with it, no harm is done.

LOL. OK Cann, I promise not to start the Toro Sun 7:00 AM unless if the neighbor has been bad

I would think that the most gentle way to dry a car is to let it air dry. That's gotta be less scratch prone that a towel of any kind or a silicone blade. You can always use a towel (micro friber even if that's what you like) to dry the less exposed areas in doors and under hoods . . . though I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't want to just let them air dry as well.

If this product really works, I'd just let it air dry. That one's a no brainer.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

Thanks Gregg. If the blade is good for an F430 it should be good for a Turbo. I ordered it and will let you know what I think. I also ordered the blue towel. I always like to try new things specially if it is quicker than my current method. All I need now is the VAC N BLO. I also ordered the Cyclo polisher. I have been using the Porter cable and was ready for a new polisher. Premier the clear bra installers were using it and I was impressed. Here is the link for the polisher.
    http://www.autogeek.net/cyclo-polishers.html

My 2 cents:

Use compressed air to blow out brake dust from rotors _before_ hosing them down with water (wear a dust mask). Be sure to wash car to rinse off any brake dust. Pre-blowing rotors drastically reduces messy and muddy results due to mixing excessive dust with water and having it stick to the inner recesses of the rotors where it stays until it eventually oozes out at it's own convenience.

Use compressed air to blow water out of rotors and wheels (lug bolt recesses).

ALWAYS drive the car after washing to dry off the brakes. Never park the car after getting the brakes wet.

Regarding "always" and "never:" I suppose you can disregard these instructions but it results in RUSTY looking rotors (especially the cooling vents holes); verrrry unattractive.

Remember the thread "Touch YOur Paint: Scratch It?" The paint is scratched by just rubbing it with your fingers (you can see the scratches when the lighting is perfect... . Anyway it's for that reason I would not use a leaf blower because there's always clouds of grit blown up and around and it's probably "sandblasting" the car. It's hard to imagine otherwise.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    I use a leaf blower, $60 model from Toro called Super Blower. This was mentioned in the past as probably the best way to blow off excess water from the wheel and brake area so that rusty color water doesn't drip onto the inside of the rim. Of course it works perfectly for the rest of the car also. YMMV but one try with this and you might not use any other method again. Blow, then touch up with a dry towel and there won't be one spot on your car once the job is done.

I cover the tip with some duct tape so that even if I touch car, no harm is done.

Gregg, Did you order the Jumbo or the small Metro vac? Beside the longer hose any advantage for having the wall mount version over the portable one?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Cann, you should try the Metro Vac & Blo it's designed to blo air off auto's.

Where'd you buy it?

Here's the same unit sold by Griot's (at us$199 )

Hey! Thanks for the idea Stradale, maybe I'll get one too.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    I would think that the most gentle way to dry a car is to let it air dry. That's gotta be less scratch prone that a towel of any kind or a silicone blade. You can always use a towel (micro friber even if that's what you like) to dry the less exposed areas in doors and under hoods . . . though I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't want to just let them air dry as well.

If this product really works, I'd just let it air dry. That one's a no brainer.

I guess one way to check this filtering system is to order it from Costco.com and if not happy, just return it to the local Costco store. Makes sense?

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/mrclean/home.do

There are quite a few solutions out there that use filtered water and a special soap so that the water dries itself. How it interacts with wax/paint is another issue.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

It seems to me that the blade wouldn't work too well on the door jams, engine compartment lid (interior and exterior), and interior of the front trunk area...to mention a few. And you think the blade wouldn't drag a dirt particle across the paint?

If you want to try the very best drying towel on the market...try the Big Blue.

I have the Big Blue Towel but I like the one from Griots (#11023) a little better. The water blade is not for interior areas that trap water like under the bonnet, it works fantastic on all outside areas especially glass and the hood, roof & sides of my cars. It basically removes 90% of water left over after washing & rinsing in half the time it takes with a drying towel. Then I use Griots Micro Fiber Thick drying towel to finish up. No, the water blade is made from a soft silicone and has a T like edge that actually pushes water in front of it so as long as you are using it on a freshly washed car there's no way you should trap a dirt particle & a big reason why I started using it, you have a much greater chance of trapping a dirt particle in a drying towel and scratching your paint then w/ the water blade. I wash my cars myself which means I'm washing one or another just about every weekend & I've been washing my own cars for the past 23 yrs, it's kind of a hobby/PASSION of mine that I take seriously, I happen to really enjoy it when I know most people despise it. I'm always looking for better, more efficient ways of washing my cars, last summer I actually had a new water line run so that it would be right next to my garage for better water pressure & so I didn't need to take out so much hose. pic below.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

Thanks Gregg. If the blade is good for an F430 it should be good for a Turbo. I ordered it and will let you know what I think. I also ordered the blue towel. I always like to try new things specially if it is quicker than my current method. All I need now is the VAC N BLO. I also ordered the Cyclo polisher. I have been using the Porter cable and was ready for a new polisher. Premier the clear bra installers were using it and I was impressed. Here is the link for the polisher.
    http://www.autogeek.net/cyclo-polishers.html

You'll like the blue towel. It may take you 3 or 4 times before you get efficient with the water blade, figuring out which way to turn it on specific body panels etc. so don't give up if you don't get the hang of it right away. Also it's absolutely THE BEST thing you can use on your farbric cabriolet top to remove the water. People that use bath towels will notice that the towel leaves behind cotten on the fabric which can be a pain to get off so most people have figured out that if you use a micro fiber drying towel its doesn't leave behind pieces of itself but using the water blade will remove most of the water easier & quicker.

btw: I first saw the guys at Detailing Dynamics using the blade yrs ago & thought they were nuts at the time but tried it and have been using it since.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:

Gregg, Did you order the Jumbo or the small Metro vac? Beside the longer hose any advantage for having the wall mount version over the portable one?

I ordered the larger one but you don't need it the HP is the same at 4HP in both sizes. The larger one has a larger capacity bag inside but just for use in your car you don't need it. I have mine mounted to the wall just inside my garage which you can do w/ either size I believe. I don't like to have the vac. by my feet when I'm working on my cars because there is a chance I will kick it into the car so I only have the hose out by the car. Mine came w/ the longer hose, make sure you get extra hose, I have 24ft which is 4 (6ft) hoses attached. The Vacumm is very strong & it's very easy to change it into a blower, all you have to do is unclip the top, pull out the vacuum filter & attach the hose to the other end. Takes 5 seconds.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Cann, you should try the Metro Vac & Blo it's designed to blo air off auto's.

Where'd you buy it?

Here's the same unit sold by Griot's (at us$199 )

Hey! Thanks for the idea Stradale, maybe I'll get one too.

Got mine from Griots.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763000 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435651 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260667 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257672 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80976 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872554 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807991 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM