Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Issues With Velar

HI Everyone,

I bought a brand new velar from my local dealer here in Cyprus, loaded to the brim.  We opted for the 2.0 Diesel  240hp engine which made the most sense for my wife's use for the car.   The car looks stunning inside and out, although I'm not a fan of Land Rover and their ergonomics.  

The car was delivered to us on July 26, 2017, we barely have 6,000kms when the engine started to make a whistling sound in mid December.  They kept it for a week and they told me that the turbo chargers needed to be replaced and that they aren't sure when they will receive the parts as the factory has none in stock and they have to request them from the production line. They gave us a courtesy car, but After three weeks I got a little upset not knowing when I was gonna receive the car I paid for, so I sent Land Rover a nasty email.  They followed up by saying we will follow up with the dealer and get back to you.  

I got a call last friday that the parts arrived and they will install them on monday and I should expect delivery of the car on Tuesday.  So on tuesday I call and the service manager tells me, I still don't like how the car sounds, we have requested feedback from the factory on some software settings and I'll give you the car on wed or thursday.  

I told myself that I would give them until Friday and not call them, but on thursday afternoon the service manager calls and tells that the noise was still there, and he wanted to be honest and frank with me.  They drained some oil from the engine and found pieces of metal inside, and it seems we are now looking at a complete engine replacement.  He told me that it could take up to one month to receive the engine and that he could arrange a meeting with the boss to discuss things next week.  he also told me to send another email to land rover explaining how upset I was so they can put pressure from their end....

I would like to ask you guys if you've had similar experiences and what my rights would be in this situation? It's still a brand new car, but I don't want a car with a brand new engine and frankly I'm quite fed up of land rover's bs.  It's my second LR, and I had a disco sport for my wife for a year before this velar, which also was annoying to own.  It's my fault for letting my wife talk me into buying another but she just fell in love with the car when she saw it at the unveiling.  And as they say happy wife happy life.  I have a 2016 Q7 which is an absolute dream of a car to own, nothing like this one.

Can I just tell them to keep the car and sell it for me and ask for some kind of compensation? It will be almost 3 months by the time I get her car back, and I've only had it for six!  Ideally I would just want my money back, for me not to make a big stink about this whole mess.  

Please let me know 

Regards

Mo

IMG_7247.JPG
    IMG_7248.JPG
    IMG_7249.JPG
    IMG_7251.JPG
    IMG_7252.JPG
    IMG_7253.JPG

Re: Issues With Velar

You'll have to consult a local lawyer. In the US we have lemon laws, and maybe you could get rid of it under those terms, but I don't think they will take it back. Cars have warranties for these very reasons. They'll fix it. Sucks, but that's the reality of it. Maybe they will provide a long-term loaner.

My RRS has been pretty reliable, one year and 10k miles,  just one small very rare fuel gauge issue that is not even worth a trip to the dealer.

I was going to tell you about lemon law,but noon beat me, anyways,good luck. there is old saying in Australia,if you wanna go out get the Landrove, but if you wanna come back, take a Toyota,lol.

hahahhaI love that saying!

thanks noon and sci for the quick replies.... I'll speak to my lawyer here after I meet with LR and hear back from their Customer Service.

Doesn't the Lemon law only come in to effect for multiple " different"" issues, closely happening one after the other?..

Good luck though, Moser. Its a bummer for this to happen on a new ride..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

I had a similar situation on a BMW E60 530d not long after I bought it when they had just come out. The turbo vanes imploded and got sucked into the engine. I was annoyed at the time but things like this happen from time to time. You just happen to be unlucky like I was and have it happen to you. My car was off the road for around 4 weeks from memory and I was given a loan car.  I never had any trouble once I got it back and the engine swap made no difference to the value of the car when I came to sell it.

Don't forget all of the 991.1 GT3 owners who have also had to endure engine swaps which shows that problems can happy with any brand. I hope they get it fixed to your satisfaction soon. Getting a lawyer involved will only cost you money and likely not produce any fast results. The best way to get rapid attention from the customer service team these days seems to be to post negative comments on a manufacturers social media sites.

Thanks guys

My Cayenne TTS had the engine replaced because my wife drowned the first one in a pretty big puddle angry

Never had an issue after...

hahaha by very big puddle do you mean a lake? lol

All the GT3 engines had to be changed. Some had theirs cars at the garage form a few month. Porsche did give some compensations. Maybe you can negotiate something in the same line. Shit does happen. It is unlucky but if they fixe it , they do saut they are implied to do. 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Ya I was thinking the same about negotiating something with them, I was fortunate enough to have avoided at 2014 GT3 and ordered a 2015 GT3, but for some of their good customers, the dealer in beirut took the cars back and refunded the clients.  But I think they went the extra mile only for a few of those customers....

my 2017 needed a new gearbox after only 6000 km. They gave me a 7 series, and I had the car back within 3 weeks. Didn’t care one bit about it: if they fix it and give me a decent loaner, what more can you expect? yes

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Maybe you can negotiate some freebies, like roof racks, floor mats, or other options they could add for free. You might also be able to ask for them to extend your warranty another year or something for free. Beyond that, I don't think you'll see much compensation. This is why they have a warranty and not a return policy. Problems happen and they are entitled to try and fix it.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll see what I can get from them in form of compensation....Ill keep you guys posted

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Velar, Moser. It's a beautiful design, and beautiful color. Good luck.

KMM:

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Velar, Moser. It's a beautiful design, and beautiful color. Good luck.

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I haven't had major issues with my RRS. The fuel gauge was an issue and after waiting three weeks they sent the part and all is OK.

My 2014 GT3 engine was replaced and Porsche sent me a $9800 check. In the old days replacing an engine was considered major surgery. Today not so much. They should pay you for the inconvenience and trouble they subjected you to.

The Velar is a beautiful SUV and FWIW, your issue is the only one I have heard of.

--

You have your way. I have my way. As for the correct way and the only way, it does not exist.

Land Rover is famous for having zero reliability 

They break, and break, and then break some more.

I believe my dealer had seen my LR3 more than I did.

The current SVR also feel flimsy, the simple action of plugging in a phone charger caused the whole panel behind the centre console to collapsed inwards, breaking a few plastic tabs and a hew part had to be ordered and installed on Land Rover's dime.

--

Whoopsy:

Land Rover is famous for having zero reliability 

They break, and break, and then break some more.

I believe my dealer had seen my LR3 more than I did.

The current SVR also feel flimsy, the simple action of plugging in a phone charger caused the whole panel behind the centre console to collapsed inwards, breaking a few plastic tabs and a hew part had to be ordered and installed on Land Rover's dime.

Is I don’t understand. Since Tata bought LR, the quality of the car has increased significantly. It certainly on par with Porsche. yes

--

You have your way. I have my way. As for the correct way and the only way, it does not exist.

nberry:

I haven't had major issues with my RRS. The fuel gauge was an issue and after waiting three weeks they sent the part and all is OK.

My 2014 GT3 engine was replaced and Porsche sent me a $9800 check. In the old days replacing an engine was considered major surgery. Today not so much. They should pay you for the inconvenience and trouble they subjected you to.

The Velar is a beautiful SUV and FWIW, your issue is the only one I have heard of.

Remind me to let you negotiate for me on stuff. That's the first I heard of Porsche coughing up 10K for one of the GT3 engine replacement issues. I assume the vast majority didn't get that.

My RRS has had less issues than my previous 3 Porsche SUV so far...

A simple solution is to add a Japanese car for when the rest are in shop getting fixed. 

SciFrog:

My RRS has had less issues than my previous 3 Porsche SUV so far...

I had the same experience. My Cayenne was constantly in for repairs while the RRS has almost been issue free.

--

AP911:

A simple solution is to add a Japanese car for when the rest are in shop getting fixed. 

Exactly why I keep the old Honda around. $600 per year for insurance and about $150 for maintenance is pretty cheap given the convenience (granted, not so cheap if you look at $/mile, as it only gets driven about 500 miles a year...)

Noone1,

In Beirut a lot of the GT3 owners had their engines swapped received compensation of close to 20k usd....I'm was told from the dealer that Porsche paid half and they paid the other half since cars in lebanon are subject to 60% customs. Also they received an extra year on their warranty....

Mo

The gave us a loaner, but I have a spare car in the house, which is my little city car, Audi S3 Hatch, so I only use their loaner for when I have to do some grunt work or pick up dirty stuff....  Land Rover emailed me back saying they are going to help support the dealer as quickly as possible to get the new engine and parts out to them, so they can finish the job, but I'm looking at minimum 4 weeks. It's already been 4 weeks since they took the car in the first time.  The rep from LR said we can discuss compensation once the car is fixed, and I'm not sure what they mean by that. I'll try and meet up with with the dealer on friday or monday to see what they have to say....

Thanks for all the feed back

Mo

FWIW I had issues with my last 991 which were only resolved by a complete car swap. (I did pay a sum as the car was almost 3 years old) - I got zero help from Porsche and barely much from the OPC until I got the ombudsman involved. (it went in for the same repair 7 times & still not fixed) It still leaves a bitter taste however at least the replacement 991 is a peach (rather than a lemon).

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

So just a quick update....  The new engine has arrived, and they are in process of performing the surgery on the car.  It's pretty crazy just how much stuff needs to be removed from the car in order to replace the engine....They say they need another week, i'm just worried that this engine replacement will lead to other issues.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I haven't had a great experience so far with LR.

IMG_8483.JPG
    IMG_8482.JPGIMG_8480.JPG

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688998 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408922 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255623 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234882 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857746 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773706 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM