Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Confirmed info&specs 997 Turbo Facelift

Isn't the GT2 getting the same boost level as the 977TT does in overboost mode? Difference is that GT2 gets the same level throughout the rpm range. That would make it 1.2bar 24/7.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Anyway, with either the power bumped 505 or pre-bumped 480, you'd get another 25 hp. Add that same exhaust to the newer car and you get 530, right?

Right, assuming that part of the new facelift power isn't from a sports exhaust.

The Cayenne facelifts with DI all generate about 4% more power through DI alone. If the same is true for the 911 engine then there's your 505bhp without having to do much else.

Exactly! And, assuming that the boost hasn't been increased, this would translate into basic mods reaching 570-580 bhp. That's some serious power.

whats the boost in the current car now?

Off the top of my head,

Turbo = 1.0 bar (only in Sports Mode)
    GT2 = 1.4 bar

GT2 also has the added power from redesign of the turbocharger, new expansion intake system and maybe help from the new titanium sports exhaust too.

I expect Porsche won't add any of these until the 998 though as they need to keep something in reserve.

a little bit confusing...

1.4 bar plus all those bigger turbines, intake, exhuast, only 50 more hp?

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Anyway, with either the power bumped 505 or pre-bumped 480, you'd get another 25 hp. Add that same exhaust to the newer car and you get 530, right?

Right, assuming that part of the new facelift power isn't from a sports exhaust.

The Cayenne facelifts with DI all generate about 4% more power through DI alone. If the same is true for the 911 engine then there's your 505bhp without having to do much else.

Exactly! And, assuming that the boost hasn't been increased, this would translate into basic mods reaching 570-580 bhp. That's some serious power.

whats the boost in the current car now?

Off the top of my head,

Turbo = 1.0 bar (only in Sports Mode)
    GT2 = 1.4 bar

GT2 also has the added power from redesign of the turbocharger, new expansion intake system and maybe help from the new titanium sports exhaust too.

I expect Porsche won't add any of these until the 998 though as they need to keep something in reserve.

a little bit confusing...

1.4 bar plus all those bigger turbines, intake, exhuast, only 50 more hp?

The turbochargers aren't bigger, just slightly modified with a bigger exhaust (is that right?) side.

that's make more sense

1.4 bar sounds pretty as a factory car, i guess that is due to the longer air intake.

Actually it's this:

997TT
    1.0 bar in normal mode
    1.2 bar in overboost (10 secs at a time)

997 GT2
    1.4 bar in normal mode

It should be interesting to note that the Turbo has 502 ft of torque in overboost mode for 10 secs at a time but the GT2 has 505 ft of torque at all times.

I believe that the Turbo was modified, the intake manifold as well and the exhaust too. I know there were others too but those are the ones off the top of my head.

I am sure I never saw more than 1.0 bar on my track day with demo manual Turbo. I had it on mile straights, and high speed bowls for hours.

Without sport mode on I didn't see more than 0.7-0.8 bar.

Odd.

When you see the little up arrow that's when the overboost hits and you'd get up to 1.2 bars.

Not sure why you never saw that. It's definitely there though. I've seen it countless times.

Guys, keep in mind that the 1.4bar max. in the GT2 is partly compensating for the expansion manifold intake cooling the air to mitigate thermal stresses to the variable geometry impeller-increasing the volume of a fixed quantity of a gas renders it less dense so increasing boost on the compressor side counteracts this to produce an equivalent power and torque output for a given air-fuel mixture. This means that 1.4bar boost with the GT2's intake setup brings back into the engine an equal amount of air (and fuel) as in the TT intake with its traditional resonance intake. Actually, Porsche advertises that this intake innovation is slightly more efficient for a given power output via the pre-ignition cooling effect-albeit negligibly so-the setup is designed primarily for thermal protection of the variable geometry impeller, not to placate the Greenpeace fruitloops.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    When you see the little up arrow that's when the overboost hits and you'd get up to 1.2 bars.

Not sure why you never saw that. It's definitely there though. I've seen it countless times.

I definately remember seeing 1.2 bar when on over-boost on my turbo; before I sold it.

Like MMD I also have an 04 M3 with SMG, admittedly I use it in auto mode 99% of the time.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Like MMD I also have an 04 M3 with SMG, admittedly I use it in auto mode 99% of the time.

LOL. Of course you do, Moogle; I use it in auto-mode maybe 90% of the time. Want to know why? Because we have Turbos!

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Guys, keep in mind that the 1.4bar max. in the GT2 is partly compensating for the expansion manifold intake cooling the air to mitigate thermal stresses to the variable geometry impeller-increasing the volume of a fixed quantity of a gas renders it less dense so increasing boost on the compressor side counteracts this to produce an equivalent power and torque output for a given air-fuel mixture. This means that 1.4bar boost with the GT2's intake setup brings back into the engine an equal amount of air (and fuel) as in the TT intake with its traditional resonance intake. Actually, Porsche advertises that this intake innovation is slightly more efficient for a given power output via the pre-ignition cooling effect-albeit negligibly so-the setup is designed primarily for thermal protection of the variable geometry impeller, not to placate the Greenpeace fruitloops.

What he said...

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:

Don't know where you read that, Al, but whoever wrote it didn't get all his facts right.

The expansion manifold system reduces the combustion-air temp in the combustion chamber before ignition, allowing increased spark advance without "knocking", which results in more efficient combustion.
    If the exhaust gas temperature at the VTG vanes really is lower as a result, then this would just be an incidental benefit and not the primary objective. The improved combustion does in turn allow the max boost pressure to be increased above the normal TT engine's value without overdoing the thermal and mechanical loads on the engine's components such as valves, pistons, rings, .... but this would not necessarily apply to the turbine and VTG vanes, because they are downstream of the exhaust valves.
    According to press reports I have read, the combustion efficiency improvement under certain conditions amounts to 15%, which is a lot better than "slight" or "negligible".

Quote:
    andrea said:
    From my source

Paris 2008
    PDK 7 gears also with LSD
    DFI
    powerkit for current 997 turbo for next spring cancelled

this sounds much more like the successor of the mighty 996tt should have been right from the start. much more convincing than the actual version. will start thinking about it...

I went through this whole thread, and thank God i am not a recent 997 TT owner... i'd feel very cheated... extra bhp, DFI, bigger rims, and PDK!!! all so soon after the launch!!! porsche is getting more and more unpredictable to me...

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:
    I went through this whole thread, and thank God i am not a recent 997 TT owner... i'd feel very cheated... extra bhp, DFI, bigger rims, and PDK!!! all so soon after the launch!!! porsche is getting more and more unpredictable to me...

See, I don't feel cheated at all.

You got to look at what you are getting now for your money. ie. are you getting one of the best cars known to man right now?! If the answer to that question is yes then who cares what's coming in X years time.

OK, so a new model *may* be 5-10% better, but I am pretty sure that a Turbo now will realistically fulfill ALL you road going needs. The only scenario that it's really going to hurt is if you are one of these people that has to upgrade each time a newer version comes out. Then depreciation is going to sting like hell.

With regards specifically to the 3 main extras:

1) I don't think PDK will be the exciting new toy everyone here is thinking it will be. I have driven DSG gearboxes on Audis and I got to say that most of the time I just left it in auto. There are no throttle blipping delights for the ears or anything; it's just very smooth and very efficient - if anything is makes driving a little duller and uneventful.

So if you prefer Tiptronic now then yes PDK is a jump forwards. If you prefer a manual now though I think you will still want to stick with it even when the PDK option is available.

2) 30bhp more, ok so you probably will feel this, but will the car be heavier anyway with the PDK gearbox?! Plus it's not like you really need more than 480bhp on the public roads. Nice to have yes, but 'need' no.

3) Direct Injection, OK so it saves maybe 10% fuel efficiency. Who buys a 911 Turbo that can't afford 10% more fuel costs?! And if you want to save the planet then don't buy a sports car!!

And don't forget you will have to pay extra for all of these things, ranging from a base increase for MY09 to the options themselves.

The only reason I would wait would be if I had a very late MY08 build slot, then waiting an extra month or so would be *perhaps* worth it.

Sorry; rant over...

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:

When you are 90 years old, there will be yet another improved , faster Turbo " coming next year " to annoy your grandson and his buddies.

my only point was "too many changes, too soon"...

Don't forget LED backlights as well!

Quote:
    palenimbus said:
    Don't forget LED backlights as well!

what about signal lights?

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    I am sure I never saw more than 1.0 bar on my track day with demo manual Turbo. I had it on mile straights, and high speed bowls for hours.

Odd.

Alex, I think you'll find that if you put a tip in manual in 5th at 2-2,500 revs and floor it, you'll see 1.2 bar.

Btw, ever do any pcgb track days?

Quote:
    andrew34 said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:

Odd.

Alex, I think you'll find that if you put a tip in manual in 5th at 2-2,500 revs and floor it, you'll see 1.2 bar.

Btw, ever do any pcgb track days?

Will do next year. Planning on putting some cup tyres on my old OEM spare wheels...

as I have heard the Facelift will be minor.
    LED backlight, two optical linse lights in front and about 500 hp.

AM

Quote:
    Alex_ said:

Odd.

It is 1.2 bar max with overboost, GT2 has 1.4 bar max boost but it actually drops to 1.2 bar, actually the GT2 engine setup is similar to what the 997 Turbo engine setup would look alike if the overboost would be turned on all the time.

On Tiptronic equipped Turbos, you can see 1.2 bar pretty often, even if it is only for a short time. On manual cars, the 1.2 bar appears more seldom but it is there.

Quote:
    andrea said:
    From my source

Paris 2008
    DFI

Confirmed by WHO?

Your information sounds nice but it actually contradicts pretty much what I heard from OUR sources.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    andrea said:
    From my source

Paris 2008
    DFI

Confirmed by WHO?

Your information sounds nice but it actually contradicts pretty much what I heard from OUR sources.

No problem, I like better what you know about

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    andrea said:
    From my source

Paris 2008
    DFI

Confirmed by WHO?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    andrea said:
    From my source

Paris 2008
    DFI

Confirmed by WHO?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    andrea said:
    From my source

Paris 2008
    DFI

Confirmed by WHO?

come on, lets give us some info.

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    andrea said:
    From my source

Paris 2008
    DFI

Confirmed by WHO?

come on, lets give us some info.

You'll never get RC to spill the beans. You have to read between the lines.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764465 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436581 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261082 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257999 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82667 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876956 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809037 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM