Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

Quote:
    bingo said:
    Just looked at the 171s om the champion site and I must agree with your choice of center cap,,I am not too keen on the one with the line round,Titanium bolts would be a nice touch,

I'm not certain but I think those caps w/ the line may be Champion's center caps painted black. The Crest on those are smaller then the crest on the caps I got:
    http://www.championmotorsport.com/997TURBORS171.htm

Quote:
    JP66 said:
    Gregg, those wheels are insane They looks so nice. Can't wait to see them on your cab!

THANKS !! Me too!

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    Those are absolutely beautiful...now remind me since this thread has gone on for so long - what wheels are these again and is the paint OEM black? Specs on the wheels - diameter, width, offset? Are the caps metal or plastic? Can't wait to see them on your car - bet you can't wait either. They look great!!!

Champion RS171 Aluminum 1 piece Forged
    19 x 11.5 + 44 offset = 24.36lbs
    19 x 8.5 + 53 offset = 20.17lbs

No spacers/ TPMS compatible

Painted Porsche "Black" w/ Gloss finish
    Caps are Porsche OEM plastic (the newer version w/ large Crest/don't have part #)

It's this wheel painted.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Thanks for the link. From the URL:
    >>>>
    Specially coated two piece Poggipolini titanium wheel nuts with torx heads.
    >>>>>>

I am not familiar with titanium bolts. Is Poggipolini considered a very good brand? Do you (or Gregg) happen to know who makes the Champion bolts please?

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    The sharpest wheel out there. If I decide to do wheels, these are the ones!! Congratulations.
    Titanium Bolts - http://www.nyxracing.com/moto-wheels-titanium-wheel-bolt-porsche-996997-p-29403.html

I asked Champion, should know Tomorrow!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Heh heh heh...I'd think that this is probably one of the longest ongoing thread on here.

Ironically, these are the exact bolts that I was looking for back when I was considering getting RG5 wheels. I was going to get those wheels from Wheel Experts and they didn't have these chrome bolts. They referred me to Boothe Design where I got those badly designed bolts. If I had gone directly to Champion I'm sure I'd have ended up with those bolts you got, Gregg. I do like those titanium bolts but are they really worth spending $1200 on!?!

I'm seriously thinking of getting them. When you think of it as only $300 per wheel it doesn't sound as bad. LoL!!

If anyone else is interested maybe I can work out a group buy? Those Poggipolini titanium look like the same ones Champion will carry so maybe $1049 not $1200.

I love the way they look. I like the idea that they are 2 piece too so when you tighten them they aren't turning on the Aluminum wheel. I also didn't want to put wheel locks on my wheels because of how they look but w/ these titanium bolts you can be pretty secure no one is going to have that bolt pattern handy to steal them so it's like a built-in security wheel lock......... Or is there holes in that theory?

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    The sharpest wheel out there. If I decide to do wheels, these are the ones!! Congratulations.
    Titanium Bolts - http://www.nyxracing.com/moto-wheels-titanium-wheel-bolt-porsche-996997-p-29403.html

Thanks Duffy! If you decide to,,,,,,,,,, Victor Ortiz at Champion is great to deal w/.

Also thanks for that link!

You're a madman, Gregg! Taking care of everything even down to the wheel bolts!

I might be interested in a group buy if the price is right. I currently already have wheel studs plus wheel nuts so it'll be interesting to see how much weight savings I get by going with these sweet looking titanium bolts!

These look like torx patterns. If someone happened to have those on hand, they'd be able to steal these wheels, no?

Quote:
    cannga said:
    >>>>
    >>>>>>

I am not familiar with titanium bolts. Is Poggipolini considered a very good brand? Do you (or Gregg) happen to know who makes the Champion bolts please?

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:

Cannga, I don't know anything about Poggipolini or NyxRacing. Seeing Gregg mention titanium bolts jogged my memory that I had bookmarked a site with them in the past.

Again Gregg, those wheels are fabulous. I'm a big fan of the factory wheels, but this thread and especially the 171's, are making me think. hummmm

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    You're a madman, Gregg! Taking care of everything even down to the wheel bolts!

I might be interested in a group buy if the price is right. I currently already have wheel studs plus wheel nuts so it'll be interesting to see how much weight savings I get by going with these sweet looking titanium bolts!

These look like torx patterns. If someone happened to have those on hand, they'd be able to steal these wheels, no?

Yeah, you're right if they have a Torx wrench...

Stop it! I'm trying to sell myself on the idea..

Jason , why do you have wheel studs plus wheel nuts ?

ps: We're both "mad"!! Fun isn't it!

Long story. Grab a chair and enjoy the show.

I started out with GT3 wheels from carnewal before I even knew about the GT3 RS wheels (or even the car). I was like you, couldn't wait to get all the parts before the car. Consider that a partial lesson learned. Those GT3 wheels are for narrow body 997s so I needed to get 18mm spacers to make they fit my Turbo. These spacers go on the car by first attaching the spacers to the hub using the OEM wheel bolts and they have the studs sticking out through the wheel which made it necessary for me to get those lug nuts (the chrome ones) but those kept coming loose. I ended up going with the black OEM lug nuts from the 993 including the locking nuts. But because I did that, I had to get wheel studs put on the front hub to be able to use those black lug nuts. That's what I had for a while until Porsche released the GT3 RS wheels. At first I wasn't going to get them but for some strange reason, my car didn't feel as confidence inspiring around sweepers as Larry's Turbo (Over the Hill). He ordered the GT3 RS wheels from both Wheel Enhancement and carnewal. Carnewal got them first so he cancelled his order from the other place but was nice enough to let me know about it. I jumped at the chance to get the rear RS wheels from Wheel Enhancement. I had to get wheel studs again for the rear hub. I was able to sell my rear GT3 wheels too. So, there you have it, the extended version of why I have wheel studs. It does make things easier when it comes to removing/putting on the wheels but I'm not able to use the wheel hangers anymore.

Sequel to come...

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    >>>>
    >>>>>>

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:

Cannga, I don't know anything about Poggipolini or NyxRacing. Seeing Gregg mention titanium bolts jogged my memory that I had bookmarked a site with them in the past.

Again Gregg, those wheels are fabulous. I'm a big fan of the factory wheels, but this thread and especially the 171's, are making me think. hummmm

Thanks Duffy! I'm really psyched. I tried to like the stock wheels but lost that battle w/ myself.. Yeah, the 171's are obviously my favorite right now too. The HRE P40's are also right up there & considered the GT3RS wheel which is also a contender. I also considered the Neez but felt they looked too BMW'ish, what I mean is they looked best on BMW's.

Gotta run. You guys have a great day!

I am now considering the GT3 RS wheel in black chrome. Only thing stopping me is I want 20's real bad. But 19" might not look to bad when I put H&R springs in it.

Stop tempting me with those lugnuts DAMMNIT I want them now.

But 1000 for Nuts...Am I nuts?!?!

Quote:
    cannga said:.I am not familiar with titanium bolts. Is Poggipolini considered a very good brand?

Poggipolini spend most of their time dealing with Ferrari and other F1 teams. Their credentials and reputation are beyond impeccable.

Black chrome? What would that look like? Consider getting the Techart springs instead. They're progressive and would ride better than the H&R springs.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Black chrome? What would that look like? Consider getting the Techart springs instead. They're progressive and would ride better than the H&R springs.

Isn't it a bad idea to do springs only, as the shocks were designed for the longer travel which lends to premature shock failure? So, coil overs are the way to go?

I think coilovers are the best solution exactly because of that but if you have to do just springs then I'd recommend Techart.

Your the second person who reccomended the techarts. Thanks I think I will go that route when I do lower it.

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    Obviously, I'm a fan of black on black.

Jeff,
    Are those Titanium Bolts? Hard to tell but looks like a Torx head.

Quote:
    PandaMan said:
    Stop tempting me with those lugnuts DAMMNIT I want them now.

But 1000 for Nuts...Am I nuts?!?!

YES - but you're a member of a large fraternity.

Thanks. I found the following interesting thread from 6speedonline. The weight saving was supposedly .8 lbs per wheel. BTW the posters were trying to get the price to come down from $550!
    Really I don't think Gregg could resist these very very pretty bolts.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21709
    And quote from one post:
    Just spoke with the owner/exclusive US importer.

These are the same wheel bolts that HRE will be selling along side their new Competition wheel line. Very high quality. This manufacturer also supplies the Ferrari F1 Team.

He said the factory (in Italy) will be making a run of these bolts in a couple of weeks to be shipped in early March. The normal price is $550. He said if he received 5 or more orders he will discount by 10%. I think it's a bargain.

Lots of guys are spending $4500 on wheels and $1500 in tires per year compared to a one-time cost of $100 per wheel. These things look very cool and cut significant rotational mass.

Just so we are clear. I am not arranging a group buy. If you want these bolts, call him yourself (John Murray 310-980-1912) and be prepared to pay the full $550 if we don't get more than 5. He said he doesn't need any cash up front; just call him with your commitment. Wait till Monday (7 Feb) when he gets back to LA. When I called him, he was in North Carolina consulting to some NASCAR teams. I have already placed my order at full price.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
    ScottL said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:.I am not familiar with titanium bolts. Is Poggipolini considered a very good brand?

Poggipolini spend most of their time dealing with Ferrari and other F1 teams. Their credentials and reputation are beyond impeccable.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Thanks. I found the following interesting thread from 6speedonline. The weight saving was supposedly .8 lbs per wheel. BTW the posters were trying to get the price to come down from $550!
    Really I don't think Gregg could resist these very very pretty bolts.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21709
    And quote from one post:
    Just spoke with the owner/exclusive US importer.

These are the same wheel bolts that HRE will be selling along side their new Competition wheel line. Very high quality. This manufacturer also supplies the Ferrari F1 Team.

He said the factory (in Italy) will be making a run of these bolts in a couple of weeks to be shipped in early March. The normal price is $550. He said if he received 5 or more orders he will discount by 10%. I think it's a bargain.

Lots of guys are spending $4500 on wheels and $1500 in tires per year compared to a one-time cost of $100 per wheel. These things look very cool and cut significant rotational mass.

Just so we are clear. I am not arranging a group buy. If you want these bolts, call him yourself (John Murray 310-980-1912) and be prepared to pay the full $550 if we don't get more than 5. He said he doesn't need any cash up front; just call him with your commitment. Wait till Monday (7 Feb) when he gets back to LA. When I called him, he was in North Carolina consulting to some NASCAR teams. I have already placed my order at full price.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
    ScottL said:
    Quote:

Anyone buying them back in 2005 were lucky. Due to exchange rates & material costs now these are going for double that. Was even quoted $1200 by Champion but I don't think have them in stock/ they're hard to find, tried a couple of those old threads but came to dead ends...But man they look sharp. Interesting the way they work too & how can you not drool over Titanium on Turbo's. Did manage to wrangle the last set from Vivid Racing. The Devil sure is in the details.

Cool pics.. Open link & wait for pics to change:
    http://www.championmotorsport.com/

Champion RG5 on a GT2 in the showroom of Suncoast in Sarasota FL. A simply gorgeous wheel in person.

They are not RG5s, they are RS97s...

http://www.championmotorsport.com/997TURBORS97.htm

anyone know the width and offset of it?

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    They are not RG5s, they are RS97s...

So they are.thank you. They are mislabled on the stand in the showroom deatailing all the options and mods (650+HP)for this GT2. In any event they are a really good looking wheel.

Hey Stradale, needless to say the wheels look amazing.

I have a set of silver PES GP7's sitting in my living room that I am going to get painted gloss black for my Black TT Coupe. I also have the Tequipment color crested wheel caps (bought from Suncoast). Are your caps plastic?

Also, I think you mentioned somewhere that the painter did not get overspray anywhere. Are you implying that the painter masked off (taped) the colored crests and then painted the whole cap? I was told that the painter is suppose to remove the colored crests from the caps and then paint. Then, when the paint is dry, re-attach the colored crests back on the caps.

From inspecting the caps, I dont see how the crests can easily be removed, however they do appear to be stuck on, as in the crests appear to be a seperate piece that could potentially be removed.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    p2

Quote:
    TurboBill said:
    Hey Stradale, needless to say the wheels look amazing.

I have a set of silver PES GP7's sitting in my living room that I am going to get painted gloss black for my Black TT Coupe. I also have the Tequipment color crested wheel caps (bought from Suncoast). Are your caps plastic?

Also, I think you mentioned somewhere that the painter did not get overspray anywhere. Are you implying that the painter masked off (taped) the colored crests and then painted the whole cap? I was told that the painter is suppose to remove the colored crests from the caps and then paint. Then, when the paint is dry, re-attach the colored crests back on the caps.

From inspecting the caps, I dont see how the crests can easily be removed, however they do appear to be stuck on, as in the crests appear to be a seperate piece that could potentially be removed.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    p2

Thanks. Applied a coat of Rejex to them this am, the wheels look so good I don't want to put them on the car! I looked all around for the right center caps, and found that the one I liked the best was the newer version from Porsche of the larger gold Crest. I don't have the part # but they're plastic. I looked at some Alumiunum ones (from Boothe I think) but didn't like the crests & dome to the cap, I wanted it to go in not dome. The ones I have are,,, how do I explain? concave? Some of the other caps I've seen are flat or domed, the concave ones perfectly fit the contours of the center of my wheels (especially the rears). I don't know if they removed the crest for painting or not, they may have & maybe that's why they came out so clean. I think we have the same caps & for the GP7's IMO those would be the right style cap for that wheel. I seriously considered the PES GP7's, they were right up there, nice choice.. good luck!

ps: Hope everyone had a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Flipped when I got these this am. I didn't realize they would say "PORSCHE". Sahhhhhhhweeeeettttttttt!!

Two piece Titanium bolts by Poggipolini:

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776957 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441614 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262738 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85147 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5538 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880593 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815781 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM