Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I've known about those Techart wheels for a while now. Not sure if I like them. Seems too "artsy" for the Turbo. I guess it'd have to grow on me.

Same here.

what about these wheels any idea who makes them, looking to get some more angles of them.

Quote:
    PandaMan said:
    what about these wheels any idea who makes them, looking to get some more angles of them.

the color looks great too...

Quote:
    PandaMan said:

See the "Giovanna" in big letters in the background? That might be a good place to start.

IMO Chrome Wheels are too Bling on the Turbo.

They look like the black wheels on Beckham's new Turbo.

Quote:
    PandaMan said:

I think they are GFG wheels. I believe they are performance line of Giovanna. GFG wheels

Quote:
    meaker said:
    Quote:
    PandaMan said:

I think they are GFG wheels. I believe they are performance line of Giovanna. GFG wheels

thanks for the link, just make sure this is not the right one.

what's the weight of Werks Champion Magnesium R171?Champion werks are ligher than HRE?
    For comparison,Manthey BBS 19" Magnesium are 8.3kg (18,28lb)front und 9.3kg rear(20,48lb).

Are there all-season/ winter tires available that will fit on the stock factory rims?

Just trying to decide what to do w/ my factory wheels now, are they worth keeping?

Seem to remember hearing there's no winter tire that will fit but want to make sure......

Andrea,

LOL. This thread has become a monster. All the info is here, you just have to dig for it.

(Off topic, my wife, who shares my love of Italy, got a chuckle looking at your signature line: La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano..... We got the basic meaning but what does "guidare" mean?)

Porsche Factory 997 Turbo
    8.5x19" 23 lbs. 14 oz.
    11x19" 28 lbs. 13 oz.

HRE M40 Monoblok
    8.5x19" 21 lbs. 8 oz.
    11x19" 24 lbs. 14 oz.

HRE M43 Monoblok
    8.5x19" 21 lbs. 8 oz.
    11x19" 25 lbs.

Champion 171:
    20.1 Front
    24.3 Rear

The Champion RG5 is even lighter, very impressively so. But it is not one piece forged AFAIK, and has chrome lips.

As mentioned, I don't have any direct experience, but have read that Magnesium wheel is softer and therefore more easily damaged for street use.

Quote:
    andrea said:
    what's the weight of Werks Champion Magnesium R171?Champion werks are ligher than HRE?
    For comparison,Manthey BBS 19" Magnesium are 8.3kg (18,28lb)front und 9.3kg rear(20,48lb).

On second thought those wheels look kinda gaudy.

I'm just going crazy to which wheel would complete my turbo.

I think Im begginning to like the stocks! lol

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Are there all-season/ winter tires available that will fit on the stock factory rims?

Just trying to decide what to do w/ my factory wheels now, are they worth keeping?

Seem to remember hearing there's no winter tire that will fit but want to make sure......

I believe there are at least 2 choices for you on winter tires, Continental TS810S and Nokian WR. Both have N0 designation for Porsche Approved.

If I remember correctly, W211 here have fitted Nokians on his 997 Turbo last winter and have nothing but praises for them. He made quite a few trips to Whistler on those tires.

Size will be 235/35/19 front and 295/30/19 rear.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Andrea,

LOL. This thread has become a monster. All the info is here, you just have to dig for it.

(Off topic, my wife, who shares my love of Italy, got a chuckle looking at your signature line: La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano..... We got the basic meaning but what does "guidare" mean?)

Porsche Factory 997 Turbo
    8.5x19" 23 lbs. 14 oz.
    11x19" 28 lbs. 13 oz.

HRE M40 Monoblok
    8.5x19" 21 lbs. 8 oz.
    11x19" 24 lbs. 14 oz.

HRE M43 Monoblok
    8.5x19" 21 lbs. 8 oz.
    11x19" 25 lbs.

Champion 171:
    20.1 Front
    24.3 Rear

The Champion RG5 is even lighter, very impressively so. But it is not one piece forged AFAIK, and has chrome lips.

As mentioned, I don't have any direct experience, but have read that Magnesium wheel is softer and therefore more easily damaged for street use.

Quote:
    andrea said:

Thanks Cannga! I missed in this topic the weight of 171,sorry...this is because I've asked for....next time I will read better the all topic

About off-topic question: guidare translation is To Drive... you have to drive an italian car in your life

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I believe there are at least 2 choices for you on winter tires, Continental TS810S and Nokian WR. Both have N0 designation for Porsche Approved.

If I remember correctly, W211 here have fitted Nokians on his 997 Turbo last winter and have nothing but praises for them. He made quite a few trips to Whistler on those tires.

Size will be 235/35/19 front and 295/30/19 rear.

That's great news, I didn't think there were winter tires available to fit the stock Turbo wheels. In that case it would probably be a good idea to keep my factory wheels & outfit them w/ winter tires. That way I'd have 2 sets of wheels & tires, one Champion set & the other factory wheels w/ winter tires for December to March.

Does it make any difference that it is not a Porsche approved tire?

I'm not sure if it'd make a difference not to use Porsche approved tires but I like the fact that they've been tested extensively by Porsche engineers and are proven to work well with the car. That's why I'd rather stick with the "N" rated tires even though they're apparently only available through Porsche dealerships. I had to pay $700 more for my new PS2 tires than what they would've been sold for from Tire Rack if they were available there.

A local friend of mine checked to see what tires are available and apparently the Continentals were discontinued last year. This is what he had to say:

"Yes, I purchased Pirelli 240 SZ winter tires (235/35 19 and 295/30 19) - they fit the stock 997 Turbo wheels.
    Here's what I learned through Walt at Tirerack (ext. 372):

The Continentals listed last year are being discontinued; although still in stock, if a tire had to be replaced later there's a risk none would be available and I have to replace all tires. Seemed like a reasonable concern.

The Nokian WR is an N0 rated tire; $1,302 for a set (I'm not sure this included delivery).

The Pirelli 240 SZ (Soto zero) is an N1 rated tire; $1,382.28 including delivery in Bellevue."

Now, you have to be VERY careful with those winter tires or any new tires when first mounted. He found that out the hard way a couple weeks ago on a drive with me and Larry. On a sharp corner I was able to negotiate that just fine but he didn't have enough grip and ended up going straight ahead into the cornfield and spinning out. He suffered very minor damages fortunately but that was definitely a lesson learned for him. Those winter tires do not have as much grip as the summer tires.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I'm not sure if it'd make a difference not to use Porsche approved tires but I like the fact that they've been tested extensively by Porsche engineers and are proven to work well with the car. That's why I'd rather stick with the "N" rated tires even though they're apparently only available through Porsche dealerships. I had to pay $700 more for my new PS2 tires than what they would've been sold for from Tire Rack if they were available there.

A local friend of mine checked to see what tires are available and apparently the Continentals were discontinued last year. This is what he had to say:

"Yes, I purchased Pirelli 240 SZ winter tires (235/35 19 and 295/30 19) - they fit the stock 997 Turbo wheels.
    Here's what I learned through Walt at Tirerack (ext. 372):

The Continentals listed last year are being discontinued; although still in stock, if a tire had to be replaced later there's a risk none would be available and I have to replace all tires. Seemed like a reasonable concern.

The Nokian WR is an N0 rated tire; $1,302 for a set (I'm not sure this included delivery).

The Pirelli 240 SZ (Soto zero) is an N1 rated tire; $1,382.28 including delivery in Bellevue."

Now, you have to be VERY careful with those winter tires or any new tires when first mounted. He found that out the hard way a couple weeks ago on a drive with me and Larry. On a sharp corner I was able to negotiate that just fine but he didn't have enough grip and ended up going straight ahead into the cornfield and spinning out. He suffered very minor damages fortunately but that was definitely a lesson learned for him. Those winter tires do not have as much grip as the summer tires.

Jason,
    Thanks. What tires were Larry running?
    I'm a little confused about the ratings, "N" means Porsche approved? "N0" "N1" is ??

Right click on this and choose "Save Target As":

www.jasongtang.com/temp/Porsche_N_rating.pdf

Should explain everything you need to know about N rating.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Right click on this and choose "Save Target As":

www.jasongtang.com/temp/Porsche_N_rating.pdf

Should explain everything you need to know about N rating.

Andrea,

That's not what I meant at all--no need to apologize! Am glad to help. The thread is an absolute monster , after all we even went into wheel design theories ; only reason I remember was I posted part of the info.

Quote:
    andrea said:
    Thanks Cannga! I missed in this topic the weight of 171,sorry...this is because I've asked for....next time I will read better the all topic

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Andrea,

That's not what I meant at all--no need to apologize! Am glad to help. The thread is an absolute monster , after all we even went into wheel design theories ; only reason I remember was I posted part of the info.

Quote:
    andrea said:

No problem really,it's a pleasure to meet user like you so well informed about car's things.Your Red beast is awesome!

Question:

I know the OEM wheels are designed to cool the brakes as they rotate. This is especially important for ceramic brakes.

So does anyone know if Champion or HRE wheels are designed with this in mind?

Unlikely. However, Manthey wheels are used by 997TTs on the Ring and those cars seem to be doing just fine. Probably just a nice marketing gimmick on behalf of Porsche.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Unlikely. However, Manthey wheels are used by 997TTs on the Ring and those cars seem to be doing just fine. Probably just a nice marketing gimmick on behalf of Porsche.

Yeah and I guess the GT3RS wheels used on the GT2 w/ ceramics do just fine too without being ugly like the stock turbo wheels.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Yeah and I guess the GT3RS wheels used on the GT2 w/ ceramics do just fine too without being ugly like the stock turbo wheels.

Good point, totally missed that.

Wheels came!
    OMG they look insane! The black center caps w/ gold crests look awesome. The Chrome bolts are perfect. Paint came out perfect.
    Tubi came too. Now I just need the car to put them on!

Champion was right on w/ the weight too, only thing is I forgot to pull the caps before I weighed them but they're within a couple tens.

I'm a terrible photographer, looks much better in person plus They'll look even better ON a car but>>>>>

chx1

cr

Front:

Rear:

Forgot to ask- What would you guys use to coat the wheels? I obviously have some time to do this so it would be easy for me to apply while the wheels are still in my home & off the car. I remember some talking about Rejex? Anyone have experience w/ this? Is there anything else?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776883 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441595 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262716 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260863 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85141 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5527 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880582 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815744 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM