Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Any interest in an After-market EXHAUST thread

Ive heard the AWE in person and really like it, how does it compare to Fabspeed Gen 3?

I know Cargraphic are biased but there *may* be a little truth in this...

They said to me that their experience with the Milltek system is that they only really concentrate on the sound and not necessarily the performance of the car. They have found that the Milltek cats can fail, sometimes within a few hundred miles of fitting and that their performance figures, if any, were inconsistent.

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Wow that exhaust system LOOKS GREAT!!! What is it?

But another major problem arises as with an exhaust like that, I would want a clear rear bumper to show it off, and that set off another can or worms.

MBRP - not released yet...real soon now.

Thought this may be interesting to some here:

Spoke w/ Alex at SharkWerks. Since they sell AWE, Milltek, tubi thought it would be a good place for exhaust advice.

His comments:

Milltek - Probably the quietest, fitment not that great.

AWE - Probably too deep sounding for a Cabrio. & will probably have the most resonance in a Cabrio.

tubi - Would recommend this system above all others they have installed. Said both the sound & especially fitment / overall quality is the best.

Fabspeed - They don't sell but at first he didn't want to comment, could tell he didn't think highly of this system at all, he said the fitment/quality is not good at all. I know a few guys here have this so no offense.

Asked him if he could choose any exhaust if it were his 997 Turbo Cabrio. & he said tubi. Honestly I don't even know who Alex is but he seemed to know each system very well, they've installed all of the above systems.

Have you even considered cargraphic at all? That's what I have and I still love it. Tubi would be another choice for me if I were to do it all over again.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Have you even considered cargraphic at all? That's what I have and I still love it. Tubi would be another choice for me if I were to do it all over again.

Sounds good from your Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFYuVyeemM

Think I dig the tubi sound best:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRlZ0_ksH-4

It's hard to tell from video's, I am arranging to hear the tubi in person w/ a Porsche dealer by me that just ordered two for other customers.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Spoke w/ Alex at SharkWerks. Since they sell AWE, Milltek, tubi thought it would be a good place for exhaust advice.

His comments:

AWE - Probably too deep sounding for a Cabrio. & will probably have the most resonance in a Cabrio.

tubi - Would recommend this system above all others they have installed. Said both the sound & especially fitment / overall quality is the best.

Fabspeed - They don't sell but at first he didn't want to comment, could tell he didn't think highly of this system at all, he said the fitment/quality is not good at all. I know a few guys here have this so no offense.

Asked him if he could choose any exhaust if it were his 997 Turbo Cabrio. & he said tubi. Honestly I don't even know who Alex is but he seemed to know each system very well, they've installed all of the above systems.

Gregg, Alex "Sharky" Ross is the owner of SharkWerks. He's a prominent member at 6speedonline.com.

I had a friend listen to both and this is what he had to say. The cargraphic has more of a Porsche sound whereas the Tubi sounds more like a race car. That's a good analogy I'd say so I guess it depends on what you want. And yes, the videos are not a good way to hear what exhausts really sound like in real life. I agree with that sentiment. You can't go wrong with any of these systems. I just personally like both Tubi and cargraphic.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

His comments:

Gregg, Alex "Sharky" Ross is the owner of SharkWerks. He's a prominent member at 6speedonline.com.

Geeezz, I feel kinda silly, guess everyone is entitled to a Blonde moment. Guess that's why he sounded knowledgebale. You know he was so helpful I didn't think to ask him who he was. So anyway thanks Alex, I'm leaning even more towards tubi now. Thanks Crash.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I had a friend listen to both and this is what he had to say. The cargraphic has more of a Porsche sound whereas the Tubi sounds more like a race car. That's a good analogy I'd say so I guess it depends on what you want. And yes, the videos are not a good way to hear what exhausts really sound like in real life. I agree with that sentiment. You can't go wrong with any of these systems. I just personally like both Tubi and cargraphic.

For what I want, sounds like the Cargraphic & tubi are the 2 best contenders.

The tips on your car look real nice, who's are they? I'm probably going to keep the stock tips, I like the idea of having a more aggressive sound delivered out of the stock tips. But the quad pipe looks really good too.

I don't have those tips anymore. Cargraphic sells them, with two versions available; either the 80mm circular version or the 88mm oval rolled lip version. I got the 88mm oval tips originally and they looked really nice when new. After a while they started turning brown from the heat so I had them ceramic coated black. That worked great for a while but you have to keep them clean! I missed some dirt on the tips which ended up getting burnt into place. That left me with really ugly marks on the top which couldn't be removed. I ended up putting the stock tips back on.

Cargraphic (Road Sport Supply) now offers these tips specially coated black with something other than ceramic which I'm told works well.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:

The tips on your car look real nice, who's are they? I'm probably going to keep the stock tips, I like the idea of having a more aggressive sound delivered out of the stock tips. But the quad pipe looks really good too.

Both of these are good choices and both are higher priced alternatives. If you're going to spend that amount be sure to look at Europipe too. http://www.europipe.be/1024.html
    Here's what they say about their 997TT system:

Here are some details on our 997 Turbo sport exhaust :
    Stock cats are 600 cpsi ( cells per square inch ) size 118mm
    Europipe sport cats are 100 cpsi size 153mm / 6 inch ( + 68% cross section )
    Stock tailpipes are 60mm
    Europipe tailpipes are 76mm / 3 inch ( + 62% cross section )

84mm transition between cats and muffler
    Stock exhaust maximum backprssure : 0.44 Bar
    Europipe exhaust maximum backpressure : 0.12 Bar ( - 72% )

Powergain : +18hp / +24 Nm
    Same weight as stock

There are no Check Engine Light issues because our 100 cpsi cats are huge. The contact area of our cats is identical to the contact area of the stock cats.
    The sound of the exhaust ( not the volume ) is somewhat like a 935 at low rpm and as a GT3 at high rpm.You hear the turbos spool up during acceleration and there is a very big " woosh " sound in between shifts.

Oh yes, I also like Europipe too. I had forgotten about them mainly because I hadn't heard about them in a while. I know that they have a 997TT kit now but I haven't seen them widely available yet.

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:

Both of these are good choices and both are higher priced alternatives. If you're going to spend that amount be sure to look at Europipe too. http://www.europipe.be/1024.html
    Here's what they say about their 997TT system:

Here are some details on our 997 Turbo sport exhaust :
    Stock cats are 600 cpsi ( cells per square inch ) size 118mm
    Europipe sport cats are 100 cpsi size 153mm / 6 inch ( + 68% cross section )
    Stock tailpipes are 60mm
    Europipe tailpipes are 76mm / 3 inch ( + 62% cross section )

84mm transition between cats and muffler
    Stock exhaust maximum backprssure : 0.44 Bar
    Europipe exhaust maximum backpressure : 0.12 Bar ( - 72% )

Powergain : +18hp / +24 Nm
    Same weight as stock

There are no Check Engine Light issues because our 100 cpsi cats are huge. The contact area of our cats is identical to the contact area of the stock cats.
    The sound of the exhaust ( not the volume ) is somewhat like a 935 at low rpm and as a GT3 at high rpm.You hear the turbos spool up during acceleration and there is a very big " woosh " sound in between shifts.

Thanks Jeff!!
    Yeah the Europipe was also a consideration for me but I think I'm going tubi after hearing it last night. I was really blown away at how freakin awesome the tubi sounds. There's no way I can live w/ the stock exhaust now, can't believe Porsche hasn't come out w/ a Sport Exhaust because stock the car sounds pretty wimpy. I was really impressed w/ the tubi and 99% certain that's the way I'm going to go. I agree the tubi is a bit more pricey than others available but worth it imo from what I'm seeing & hearing.

tubi Pic from sharkwerks & copied from 6speed's thread:
    http://69.13.120.185/forums/showthread.php?t=95295

Wow those headers look beautiful

im anxious to hear the tubi in person as im leaning in that direction also...i guess its fabed of chrome plated stainless or is it polished ss ..thx

Gregg, between the PCCBs, wheels and the Tubi exhaust, you'll save roughly 90lbs; much of it unsprung, of course.

Are you also planning to get headers too? I'm not sure if headers would make any discernable differences since I'm told that they'd be more of a benefit in non-Turbocharged cars. I could be wrong though.

I don't know. From those Tubi videos the car sounded more like a tractor starting up and I thought I heard some pretty heavy resonance too at various points.

I know video comparisons are not the best, but my money is still on the Cargraphic middle loudness option I think.

Then again, I am still waiting to hear a stock MY08 exhaust as apparently they sound much better now than earlier models. So might not even need it after all.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    I don't know. From those Tubi videos the car sounded more like a tractor starting up and I thought I heard some pretty heavy resonance too at various points.

I know video comparisons are not the best, but my money is still on the Cargraphic middle loudness option I think.

Then again, I am still waiting to hear a stock MY08 exhaust as apparently they sound much better now than earlier models. So might not even need it after all.

I haven't heard this. Are there any exhaust changes for MY2008?

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:

Not officially there aren't. Unofficially Porsche have taken the comments about the vacuum-cleaner-sounding stock exhaust to heart and apparently made some modifications from what I have heard.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:

Not officially there aren't. Unofficially Porsche have taken the comments about the vacuum-cleaner-sounding stock exhaust to heart and apparently made some modifications from what I have heard.

That'd be great! As we know, Porsche is known for making unofficial current model changes/updates.

Cannga's new MY08 car is a good thermometer...

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Exhaust sound: I was afraid, from the many comments, that this car is whisper quiet. On the contrary, stock is loud enough for me (it's not any more quiet than my C2). In fact any more loud (or stiff) would make the car less desirable as a daily driver. This is of course purely personal preference.

I know Porsche stopped working on a PSE for the Turbo as they couldn't get the sound as they would like it.

Be interested to hear what the GT2 sounds like with it's new Titanium exhaust

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    im anxious to hear the tubi in person as im leaning in that direction also...i guess its fabed of chrome plated stainless or is it polished ss ..thx

Polished 304 stainless steel. IMO it's the nicest looking system too. there's a couple of pics of it on Champion's site, which I cannot save & post so it's in here:
    http://www.championmotorsport.com/997EXHAUST.htm

I ordered mine. Went directly through Champion so saved over $400 in taxes (vs purchase locally) plus got a small discount because I just bought wheels too.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:

Heard from who?

I haven't noticed any changes in exhaust sound & if there was it's definitely not noticeable vs earlier Turbo's .

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Are you also planning to get headers too? I'm not sure if headers would make any discernable differences since I'm told that they'd be more of a benefit in non-Turbocharged cars. I could be wrong though.

Not for now. Next will be the WERKS Airbox but I may wait on that until I get my car.

Quote:
    devo said:
    Gregg, between the PCCBs, wheels and the Tubi exhaust, you'll save roughly 90lbs; much of it unsprung, of course.

Cool right? Can't hurt.
    oh! Plus the 1 or 2 lbs for the CD changer I omitted. LoL!!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:

Heard from who?

I haven't noticed any changes in exhaust sound & if there was it's definitely not noticeable vs earlier Turbo's .

Lots of magazines have reported this (especially since the Cabriolet release), plus my dealership who have had a LOT of demo/press/customer Turbos through their doors (incl. every Turbo ordered through a UK OPC), plus others I know who have bought late MY07 and MY08 cars.

If you have personally put an early MY07 Turbo next to an MY08 one though and compared the two directly, then I bow to your greater experience.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:

Heard from who?

Lots of magazines have reported this (especially since the Cabriolet release), plus my dealership who have had a LOT of demo/press/customer Turbos through their doors (incl. every Turbo ordered through a UK OPC), plus others I know who have bought late MY07 and MY08 cars.

If you have personally put an early MY07 Turbo next to an MY08 one though and compared the two directly, then I bow to your greater experience.

The articles on the Turbo Cabriolet (And I think I've read every one of them) exhaust sound were related to the fact you hear a lot more of the engine & exhaust in a Cabriolet, not that the exhaust is different now... Trust me from first hand experience w/ coupes & cabs this is very true. ..........I've driven both 07's & 08 turbo's & imo there is no difference in their exhaust.

Well I will soon know after my car runs off the production line in 2 weeks time from today

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777610 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441858 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262844 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261049 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85325 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5613 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880725 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816154 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM