Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My Baby's Pictures: Guards Red with Silver HRE P40

Took delivery of my baby, after nearly one year of planning and waiting.

The power and torque: Sweet Buddha have MERCY on me!!
    It became quite clear to me on the very first freeway entrance that the Turbo has much much more power than the streets of LA will allow, safely. The torque that I missed on my 997 C2 seems limitless with the Turbo, in fact it is borderline scary. This car's heart and soul is its amazing engine.

I had some concern because of recent comments on off-throttle oversteer. Only brief experience so far, and I am no race driver, but at same speed into a high speed curve I am familiar with, doesn't seem any worse than my 997 C2. Perhaps the off-throttle oversteer is more noticeable only because the power of the Turbo allows one to enter corner at speed so much higher than the NA 997, leading to more dramatic reaction when the lead foot is taken off suddenly? If I brake going into the apex and accelerate on the way out, so far it is smooth as buttah.

Steering feel and suspension: Too soft, too numb? Had my doubts, but have found out this car is NO Lexus. For me, the suspension is as stiff as I ever want my daily driver to be! As many have mentioned, the steering AND the car feel heavier than the 997 C2 (probably in the same sense that the 997 C2 will feel less direct/ "heavier" than Lotus Exige, i.e. there will always be something lighter-and with LESS power), but again, it is no Lexus. Steering feel is very direct, change is immediate, response sublime.

Exhaust sound: I was afraid, from the many comments, that this car is whisper quiet. On the contrary, stock is loud enough for me (it's not any more quiet than my C2). In fact any more loud (or stiff) would make the car less desirable as a daily driver. This is of course purely personal preference.

XPA: I don't have my 997 C2 anymore, but I could have sworn that the "thicker steering option" in the Turbo is THICKER than the same option in my 997 C2. For my smaller than average hand this actually is starting to be a little too thick. So if you are thinking Techart, make sure you see the OEM thicker steering wheel first.

Key: I don't know when this has changed but the buttons are now curved inwards (convex vs. concave), probably a response to the automatic trunk opening "feature" of older key. I only got 2 keys; was told third key (the small one?) is no longer made?

PCCB: "Like being stopped by the hands of God." Best option in my car, and it is so very pretty.

What a wonderful experience it was!

BTW, dealer (Walter's Porsche, Calif.) gave me the royal treatment and many free goodies: key fob of miniature PCCB brake-yellow!, clear side marker, colored crest wheel cap, invitation to GT2 intro at LA Auto Show.

Now some shots; still learning to take car pictures. Today, I only had time to take her to a nearby parking lot to watch the sunset together. LOL. Maybe I'll bring her to the beach tomorrow.

Re: My Baby's Pictures: Guards Red with Silver HRE

Rear view.

Next.

Last one.

congrats. WHAT A BEAUTY!!!! years of enjoyment on it's way. I love GR. I am biased

Man, I never get sick looking at turbo's! Especially ones right off the truck! CONGRATS!

Re: My Baby's Pictures: Guards Red with Silver HRE P40

Awesome Photos!

Love those rims

congrats!!!very nice rims!

Great car. Congrats and Enjoy in health

Awesome looking car Cannga!! The wheels really look sharp - those are my new favorites

Congratulations Can, the car looks awesome and I really like those wheels.

great photos!! thanks for sharing

I am typically not a fan of Guards Red, but holy f***, your car looks sweet!

Nice job of optioning her. The PCCBs, painted rear skirt and rockers, and the wheels really make the car. She looks very aggressive like a 911 should.

Wonderful pics. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy and be safe.

Congratulations Cann!
    No doubt one of if not THE NICEST looking Turbo I've ever seen.
    Pictures are fantastic too, you're so talented w/ photography!
    I thought I liked the way 20's look but these wheels look perfect! Better looking than 20's. The wheels make the car, awesome looking!
    Glad you like the PCCB's, as the "Best option in my car" Very happy I could help you w/ something after all the help you have given me.
    Enjoy her & please share more pics when you have a chance, ones of the interior too!
    ALL THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!

You SOB!

That is one gorgeous Turbo! And my favorite color, of course.

Enjoy it man, stunning, absolutely stunning.

Simply stunning. Nice job!!

Beautiful!

Super looking. Guards Red is a classic and really brings out the lines of the Turbo. So glad you painted the rockers and rear apron. Not a fan of the break in color on those areas. Any interior shots??

Quote:
    cannga said:

The power and torque: Sweet Buddha have MERCY on me!!
    It became quite clear to me on the very first freeway entrance that the Turbo has much much more power than the streets of LA will allow, safely. The torque that I missed on my 997 C2 seems limitless with the Turbo, in fact it is borderline scary.

Exhaust sound: I was afraid, from the many comments, that this car is whisper quiet. On the contrary, stock is loud enough for me (it's not any more quiet than my C2). In fact any more loud (or stiff) would make the car less desirable as a daily driver. This is of course purely personal preference.

YAY! A definite turning point in life: C2/S to Turbo! Be grateful and humble that we are such lucky b*st*rds!

HP: I had the same realization. Nearly 500 hp and Tq has got to be the limit for public roads (check back with me in a year ). I let a couple friends try my C2S alone with their wives (to decide to buy) But, because of it's "abnormal" power I will never let anyone drive my TT alone.

Sound: maybe I have a genetic defect but the freekin' cruising _drone_ of my c2s drove me crazy. I'm very glad the sounds is subdued with the TT. It's not wise to risk p*ssing people off or scaring them with sound that makes you seem like you're going faster than you are or driving like a nut case. I love the Turbo Coupe sound: just enough but not too much. I'm glad guys can change it if they want to emphasize engine sound. Glad mostly that I don't have to constantly wish there were a way to make it quieter.

Guards Red: Beeyooteefull. Makes me think I got the wrong color (SG)!

Wheels: WOWOWOW! Good choice.

Re: My Baby's Pictures: Guards Red with Silver HRE P40

Beautiful car Injoy in good health. What are the rims?

Wow, thanks everyone for the well wishes. Car was born mostly based on ideas I got from this forum (ask my wife how much time I spend staring at what YOU write ), and knowing how much you know Porsche, breathe Porsche, and think Porsche, please know that your comments mean A LOT to me.

I forgot to mention the stock shifter, vs. Sport/Short Shifter option. The effort with stock is heavy enough for me already so I probably would not want it any shorter than this. However since I am no Hercules, you probably should take my comment with a grain of salt. In addition, I am not that tall (5'7") and arms not that long, with current relationship of steering wheel to seat to shifter, any shorter shifter and I think I might have to "reach" a little for first/third/& fifth gear. But I have no experience with the Short Shifter, so this is just speculation. If you are trying to decide about the Short Shifter, just make sure you check out the stock one carefully. BTW, AFAIK stock 997 Turbo shifter is already shorter than stock 996 Turbo's.

I woke up at 6 this morning, took her to Sunday church (pictures, not baptism or anything like that, I am not *that* nutty), then we went for another round of fairly spirited driving. There is an industrial area in my city that has a few very fast (for my amateur level, that is nowhere near HVS or WR level but enough to get lumps in my neck ) curves that I am very very familiar with. I went back and forth with her, over and over the same 3-4 curves. I could confirm again that *at same speed*, the Turbo is not any more tail happy than my 997 C2 (or for that matter any car whose engine hangs behind the rear axle?). I think neither likes power applied before reaching apex, but in the Turbo case slow-in fast-out is even more critical because of the obscene amount of power involved and the abrupt way it could come on. Also, not sure if I am right about this, maybe some of the more advanced drivers here could chime in, but I also try to keep the rev. high entering curves so that the turbo doesn't kick in so abruptly in the middle of the turn; I think a spin is very much possible if there is an abrupt turbo boost at or before apex.

The article from Car & Drive complaining about off throttle oversteer for both GT3 and Turbo was worrisome to me. Frankly, I think those guys went in to the curve too fast, got wide eyed, lifted throttle, and predictably got their arses's handed to them.

The Turbo feels heavier than my 997 C2--if you like 500 hp, I don't think there is a way around this, but in trade, it gives a sensation of a much more "planted" front end and I think it understeers less going into curves. And of course there is the beast that is the turbo engine, it gives me the low end torque that I thought was missing in my NA 997 (for the life of me, can't fathom why people like would want more power than this--kidding Eclou). For those on the fence, this year, second year of model, is THE sweet spot. Don't wait!

Amazing car, superb photos, simply gorgeous Many, many congrats

Stradale: Yes, you did have some particular influence on my PCCB decision; thank you!! Appreciated very much your comments about my car, especially knowing you are at least as "nutty" as I am, LOL. Remember pictures of your future tripple black cab shook my Guards fetish to its foundation right? I have little doubt yours will be something to behold!
    I'll post pictures of interior, but there is nothing special my interior. I had a budget "constraint" and had to choose between PCCB and nice interior.

Eric: Of course I KNOW about your Guards addiction. It *always* has got my attention because there are not that many "Guards men" around these days. During the wait, I was afraid that the yellow brake won't match red well but thankfully it seems ok. There is a Guards cab in your future?

yarub1: The rim is HRE P40. This is a light, 1-piece forged wheel just recently released by HRE. There some very good discussions, we even went into wheel design theory LOL, about other wheels on that thread started by Stradale; yeah the one with some three thousand something hits .

OFF TOPIC--yarub 1 and OuTLaW_Rules: I was going to start a thread on this question, but let me try here first. I recall vaguely someone from the Middle East posting a picture of a 997 Turbo with PCCB, *with* a spare tire in the back seat. Some of us has tried a996 spare, problem is it doesn't fit cars with PCCB, and because it may have a different diameter from stock, it may actually hurt the differential. Is it true all Porsche, including 997 Turbo's, in the Middle East come with a spare tire? If yes, could you find out what the Porsche stock number for it is? And if there are different models for car with, and without PCCB?

Great car and beautifully photographed! Love the color and the wheels, enjoy in good health!

Very nice car, the wheels are extremely good fitting the guards red paint!
    a pleasant surprise since i am not a big fan of red p-cars.

Exce11ent, Clean, nice choice in rims and PCCB's. Im impressed.

Cannga: What a beauty, congratulations. Love the combo and love the wheels too. I never thought about changing my TT wheels but I just might

Congrats, dude. That's one sweeet Turbo! Love the wheels. Good choice with the PCCB. Enjoy it in good health.

BTW, I used to live in Torrance. Can't recall where Walter's Porsche is, but it's good they treated you well.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777537 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441823 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262821 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261029 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85301 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5603 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880717 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816124 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM