Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

I found the threads,actually not one, but two people had problems, using the same 315 tire that you are planning. One even with a similar wheel, Champion magnesium.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91742&highlight=315
    http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76165&highlight=warning

Tire calculator:
    http://www.csgnetwork.com/tiresizescalc.html

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Gregg,

If you would like to go with 325, somehow confirm that it won't damage the differential (there was a thread somewhere, maybe 6speedonline?). There is a tire calculator somewhere that I can't find now either, so following is 100% guess work on my part, as I don't know much about tires, or differential, and it's been a while since elementary math (someone corrects me if I am totally off the path).

Stock rear 305 30 19: Height of tire therefore 305mm x .3 = 91.5mm

Your planned rear tire 315 25 19: Height of tire 315 x 25 = 78.75mm

The stock tire is therefore about 13mm (.5 inch) bigger in radius. IOW your planned 325 replacement tire is SMALLER in diameter by 1 inch, and smaller in circumference by 3.1416 ( someone checks my math please) inches or so.

I vaguely recall from that old thread that the ratio of rear to front tire circumference has to remain around a certain range, or the differential will be damaged, and vaguely recall (not sure at all) that the poster was doing something similar to what you are doing.
    Whether this 3 inch difference causes the ratio to exceed that range? I don't know.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

This is what I'm considering:

Michelin PS2's.
    235/35/19 tires
    315/25/19 tires

That way I don't have to make the tire swap from the stock wheels to the new wheels but the sensors are $98 each.

You know about the titanium bolts right?

I remember being surprised at the weight saving; it was much more than expected, mainly because there are so many bolts. IIRC was 1-2 kg (???? not sure). This supposedly is the real thing--used in race cars (all about cutting unsprung weight), not just cosmetic, but whether you and I could feel the difference, I don't know.

But since we are all in the cuckoo's nest together... thought I would just mention it.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Thanks so much Cann, Whoppsy, Jason. You're right! I thought it was just a difference in width but now get what you're saying. I'm going to keep stock sizes & tires then for sure. Saves me about $1600 worth of tires too. You know this place is so freakin helpful making the right decisions & just as important has saved me from making costly mistakes. Yes Jason the Champion RS171 is TPMS compatible & does not require spacers. They should look really cool. I got Chrome bolts too, the ones from the WERKS ad that has the dimples. It's all in the details imho... Wonder if there is a choice of valve stems? The ones on these pics that my guy at Champion sent look Chrome.

I had chrome lugbolts on mine originally but they kept coming loose because the chamfer angle of the contact points were not the correct type. Imagine how scary that was for me. So, please be sure to get lugbolts with the correct chamfer angle. FYI I got mine originally from Boothe Design.

Check out the picture below. Look at the chrome lugnut on the left and you can see that the contact points are not even unlike the OEM black lugnuts on the right.

Chrome lugnuts

Black lugnuts

I think your car will look better with black lugnuts/bolts.

where do you get the black lugnuts?

Yep, the black lugnuts were originally used on the 993s. Thing is that if you wanted to use these then you'd have to get wheel studs like I did. It does make it easier to put wheels on/off the car.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    I don't know if it's the exact same wheel, but the RS Spyder wheel does RESEMBLE the BBS wheel the most (and so does the 997 GT2-class racing car).

If you "must" have this particular wheel, do check into TPMS and offset compatibility with your car.

Quote:
    andrea said:
    Nobody knows if BBS Forged Aluminum RE Monobloc (18" Dia) are the RS Spyder Wheels??

Thnaks!

Quote:
    cannga said:
    You know about the titanium bolts right?

I remember being surprised at the weight saving; it was much more than expected, mainly because there are so many bolts. IIRC was 1-2 kg (???? not sure). This supposedly is the real thing--used in race cars (all about cutting unsprung weight), not just cosmetic, but whether you and I could feel the difference, I don't know.

But since we are all in the cuckoo's nest together... thought I would just mention it.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Thanks so much Cann, Whoppsy, Jason. You're right! I thought it was just a difference in width but now get what you're saying. I'm going to keep stock sizes & tires then for sure. Saves me about $1600 worth of tires too. You know this place is so freakin helpful making the right decisions & just as important has saved me from making costly mistakes. Yes Jason the Champion RS171 is TPMS compatible & does not require spacers. They should look really cool. I got Chrome bolts too, the ones from the WERKS ad that has the dimples. It's all in the details imho... Wonder if there is a choice of valve stems? The ones on these pics that my guy at Champion sent look Chrome.

Where can I get the cuckoo titanium bolts? I had titanium bolts on my Challenge Stradale. They were really cool because if you look the bolt is reversed, it goes IN not out. Thanks for those threads Cann, I'll have to read them. Stayed home from work today, have some type of bug, feel crummy.

Jason - The Chrome Bolts I'm getting are directly from Champion (unless I get Titanium ones) are the ones they use all the time so I imagine they should work on the Champion wheels but will definitely ask about this because of your experience, thanks! Thank God you didn't get Hurt Jason.

These are the dimpled Chrome Bolts.

You are very welcome and hmmm... I kinda like those titanium bolts! Just the feeling that they are light weight quality stuffs MAKE them look good!
    A person/dealer (?) from Rennworx posted in 6speedonline about them, about $700 for the set:
    http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46494

I don't know about current availability. I have the feeling you could get them from other places as well, and that they will get cheaper over time, but have no specific recommendation.

>>>have some type of bug, feel crummy.

I also do medicine on the side... Get well.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Where can I get the cuckoo titanium bolts? I had titanium bolts on my Challenge Stradale. They were really cool because if you look the bolt is reversed, it goes IN not out. Thanks for those threads Cann, I'll have to read them. Stayed home from work today, have some type of bug, feel crummy.

Jason - The Chrome Bolts I'm getting are directly from Champion (unless I get Titanium ones) are the ones they use all the time so I imagine they should work on the Champion wheels but will definitely ask about this because of your experience, thanks! Thank God you didn't get Hurt Jason.

Anyone have weights for Champion 171s 8.5x19" and 11x19"?

Alex,

Email Wheel Enhancement at info@wheelenhancement.com . Sometimes it takes them a day to answer but they will have the info for you.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Anyone have weights for Champion 171s 8.5x19" and 11x19"?

Already talking with them, just wondered if you guys already had to hand...

Champion RS 171

Front - 8.5 x 19 - 20.17 lbs
    Rear - 11.5 x 19 - 24.36 lbs

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Champion RS 171

Ta v much!!

So thats a saving of about 6kg over the OEM wheels. The RG5s actually save about 11.5kg.

Should also save on my shipping costs if I order from the US

Thats actually a little dissapointing, I was expecting greater weight savings.

RG5's (the ones Cargraphic distribute for Champion and are TUV approved):

Front - 8.5x19 - 18 lbs 2oz
    Rear - 11x19 - 19 lbs 13oz.

Much lighter (and cheaper) than than the HREs or the 171s.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    RG5's (the ones Cargraphic distribute for Champion and are TUV approved):

Front - 8.5x19 - 18 lbs 2oz
    Rear - 11x19 - 19 lbs 13oz.

Much lighter (and cheaper) than than the HREs or the 171s.

Be careful if you're considering the RG5's. If you have roads anything like I have here it's not a wise choice. I've personally been in a Turbo that bent the lip on an average pot hole & have seen 2 other cars w/ the same problem. Down in Florida not as big a deal but not a good wheel for NY roads. Even Champion has advised the 171 is a much stronger wheel. The RG5 is cheaper because it's old technology. It's also pretty bland if you ask me there are much better looking spoke designs. The HRE & the 171 are more expensive but they're both also much better wheels than the RG5. Both lighter than stock without sacrificing too much strength. (from what I've heard & learned recently anyway)

RG5 Monolites, send me a PM with your email
    I do not know how to post pic here... LOL

ARM are you selling them?

ARM are you selling them?

no, just wanted to show him the pics.
    same as the white 997 turbo above.

Originally I was all set to get the RG5s until I saw them in person. To be frank, I wasn't impressed with these wheels because they did a bit bland. It also didn't look like the chrome lips didn't hold up too well to the elements with lots of scratches shown. My guess is that you'd have to spend extra time and care to keep those looking good.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Champion RS 171

Ta v much!!

So thats a saving of about 6kg over the OEM wheels. The RG5s actually save about 11.5kg.

Should also save on my shipping costs if I order from the US

Actually the 171's are 16lbs lighter than stock. But if you're really concerned about shipping costs order the Magnesium's I heard they're so light they float in the mail.

Quote:
    ARMD009 said:
    RG5 Monolites, send me a PM with your email
    I do not know how to post pic here... LOL

Don't use the quick reply at the bottom, try replying to my msg. Then after you hit "Continue" you will see "Browse" hit "Browse" and you should be able to pick the picture you want to post.

I like the RG5 & I like the other older Champion wheels but they've 'been around the block', I remember considering the RG5 for my 996 Turbo years ago. Probably my favorite in that style is the RS98. But even that wheel blings too much for me.

It looks less bling painted black imo but if you're going to do that might as well have a much more modern spoke design like the HRE's or the 171's, even Cargraphic etc. has more aggressive spoke designs, this one comes off flat, no?

no good , they are the same as on the white 997 above
    not bling at all, but deep lip for sure, If you do not like that you will not like these wheels, however the point I was tring to make is :you will like the champion wheels, any one , not just my style (Jason)
    good luck, your car will be AWESOME

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Originally I was all set to get the RG5s until I saw them in person. To be frank, I wasn't impressed with these wheels because they did a bit bland. It also didn't look like the chrome lips didn't hold up too well to the elements with lots of scratches shown. My guess is that you'd have to spend extra time and care to keep those looking good.

The RG5 spoke design just isn't interesting at all. Maybe if they somehow put this design w/ a lip it would be more modern.

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    Obviously, I'm a fan of black on black.

lucky there is a bk turbo with black rs wheels here....

the rs wheels with turbo is not my cup of tea

New Techart wheels announced:

http://www.techart.de/news_2007/TA_FormulaIII_forged.pdf

I've known about those Techart wheels for a while now. Not sure if I like them. Seems too "artsy" for the Turbo. I guess it'd have to grow on me.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763086 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435703 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260703 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257689 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80988 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872603 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808047 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM