Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    rhino said:
    I think you have made all the right decisions! Now with the AWE and Werks airbox you are done! It's funny, you have built your TTcab to my dream specs Congrats bud

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

I know, I need to make a decision on the WERKS Airbox before my wheels ship. They're extremely nice over there at Champion, dealing w/ Victor who's fielded ALL my OCD questions in the past couple weeks without breaking a sweat, not easy I know. LoL!

He just sent me this video/soundclip, I was thinking AWE exhaust based on the comments here but this tubi sounds very cool imho. (attached)..Hmmmmmm couldn't attach the video/sound clip it says it needs jpg, anyone know how?

TAke a 2 hr. drive to PA and you can hear AWE and FS in person. Their shops are about 10 minutes apart. If you want to hear my FS i'd be glad to meet you somewhere.

Thanks Chris. I'm trying to come to a decision on a exhaust now so I can just have it installed by my dealer prior to delivery. I'm impatient & would like to have everything installed (wheels, exhaust, etc.) so that when I pick the car up I can take a 1000 mile trip to get the break-in out of the way immediately but I may not be able to make an informed decision on the exhaust from video clips. Thanks for the offer.

Alex,
    Thinking about Champions CF spoiler. Thought you'd like these pics of the wheels.

Ch2

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    BTW - Cargraphic are recommending that if I later put on a Powerkit that I would need wider than stock tyres to keep the power transferring to the road.

Don't know what your plans are Stradale for powerkits but you might want to consider this.

imo that's BS. Especially w/ an all-wheel drive Turbo that has it's engine in the rear.
    Porsche doesn't fit the S w/ wider tires.
    I considered wider tires which I'm able to do but from what I've read it's best to keep stock size.

Gregg, I think it was RC who said that the Ruf 550 kit was the most power that the stock car could handle and still be fun. Apparently the old 996TT AWD system has a much easier time transferring all the power to the ground than the new electronic system.

Ch3

Ch4

Ch5

Ch6

Ch7

Is that a fix wing or does it go up and down? It looks pretty good but if it's a fix wing it's a deal killer.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    BTW - Cargraphic are recommending that if I later put on a Powerkit that I would need wider than stock tyres to keep the power transferring to the road.

Don't know what your plans are Stradale for powerkits but you might want to consider this.

imo that's BS. Especially w/ an all-wheel drive Turbo that has it's engine in the rear.
    I considered wider tires which I'm able to do but from what I've read it's best to keep stock size.

Gregg, I think it was RC who said that the Ruf 550 kit was the most power that the stock car could handle and still be fun. Apparently the old 996TT AWD system has a much easier time transferring all the power to the ground than the new electronic system.

So maybe I should go w/ 315 rear tires?

What would be the best tires to buy? Most sporty 19" tire without needing it to do track work?

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Is that a fix wing or does it go up and down? It looks pretty good but if it's a fix wing it's a deal killer.

Up & down but sits higher than stock wing when down.

Isnt that wing super duper expensive?

Isnt that CF lip expensive as well? I sniff when I hear the grinding of my plastic lip I couldnt imagine scraping a carbon fiber lip! (which will happen!)

I have problems enough Dishing out 8000+ for Rims and Tires.

Quote:
    PandaMan said:
    Isnt that wing super duper expensive?

Isnt that CF lip expensive as well? I sniff when I hear the grinding of my plastic lip I couldnt imagine scraping a carbon fiber lip! (which will happen!)

I have problems enough Dishing out 8000+ for Rims and Tires.

The wing is $4600.
    The front spoiler is $2500 or $3500 I forget.

Uhhh....I don't really like the way that wing looks. Doesn't integrate too well with the rear end I think. Have you seen the upcoming Techart type 2 kit? Looks spectacular I think. Integrates really well. I plan to get it when it's available.

http://www.cecwheels.com/tuners/products...uner_brand_id=7

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:

What would be the best tires to buy? Most sporty 19" tire without needing it to do track work?

The best thing to do would be to ask RC. He brought it up and he will definitely be able to give a good answer.

Best tyres without track work? MPS2.

Nobody knows if BBS Forged Aluminum RE Monobloc (18" Dia) are the RS Spyder Wheels??

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Uhhh....I don't really like the way that wing looks. Doesn't integrate too well with the rear end I think. Have you seen the upcoming Techart type 2 kit? Looks spectacular I think. Integrates really well. I plan to get it when it's available.

I'm not a fan of after-market wings, imo the stock one is perfect. I do like the WERKS front spoiler more than any other I've seen but in my area it would probably be impossible not to bottom. The TechArt wing looks sweet! But more so for a Coupe then a Cabrio. The only thing is I've had issues w/ anything I've ordered Techart, the quality of the things I ordered was really second rate but they looked real good in pictures. The shifter knob that's in that picture broke after a couple of days & their really expensive mats didn't fit and on top of that the carpet on the mats made these annoying little carpet balls after only a few days. I returned the mats but they refused my return of the shifter. That reminds me the screws in the Aluminum footrest I got from them striped too. Maybe it was just bad luck with the parts I ordered but I have a hard time ordering anything through CEC again.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:

Probably their best effort yet. Although I think it will take a little time for me to get use to that front bumper.

Bit more info here: http://www.techart-presse.de/ishow/galerie.php?gallery=097tt_aeroII&kat=097_tt

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Alex,
    Thinking about Champions CF spoiler. Thought you'd like these pics of the wheels.

Looks fantastic, thanks

Think I am going to stick to the 8.5x19" and 11x19" wheels as I am not sure I will put a powerkit on now.

Cargraphic in Germany just told me that with any powerkit you should always look at upgrading the clutch too. So such an upgrade would start getting very expensive very quickly, especially with headers, suspension etc etc.

Think I will just stick to the wheels and maybe the Cargraphic exhaust for now, although that Milltek video sounds very impressive. Low resonnance is a big plus.

I don't know if it's the exact same wheel, but the RS Spyder wheel does RESEMBLE the BBS wheel the most (and so does the 997 GT2-class racing car).

If you "must" have this particular wheel, do check into TPMS and offset compatibility with your car.

Quote:
    andrea said:
    Nobody knows if BBS Forged Aluminum RE Monobloc (18" Dia) are the RS Spyder Wheels??

Quote:
    cannga said:
    I don't know if it's the exact same wheel, but the RS Spyder wheel does RESEMBLE the BBS wheel the most (and so does the 997 GT2-class racing car).

If you "must" have this particular wheel, do check into TPMS and offset compatibility with your car.

Quote:
    andrea said:

Cann,

How does the TPMS work? What I mean is how/where is it mounted to the wheel/ tires? Don't think I've ever seen a pic. of one. I'm debating whether to just buy tires from Champion & let them mount to my wheels & be done w/ it, that way I'd have 2 full sets of wheels & tires. But to do that I would need to buy 4 new TPMS sensors for the new tires/wheels right?

This is what I'm considering:

Michelin PS2's.
    235/35/19 tires
    315/25/19 tires

That way I don't have to make the tire swap from the stock wheels to the new wheels but the sensors are $98 each.

The TPMS sensor is part of the air pressure stem. The transceiver module rests on the inside of the wheels/tires.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    The TPMS sensor is part of the air pressure stem. The transceiver module rests on the inside of the wheels/tires.

Thanks Jason. So if I ordered new wheels & tires how easy is it to just remove the sensor from the factory wheels/tires & put it on the new ones? Guess my question is - Do I need to order 4 new sensors w/ new wheels & tires or can this easily be switched from factory wheels to new wheels?

When I bought the 67's they removed the sensors from the stock wheels and installed on the champions.

Stradale,

No you don't have to buy new ones. It's part of the valve stem and should be easily moved to the new rims. Have some comment on your rear tire size, in relation to differential damage but please give me some time--am a little busy now. Hope this helps.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:

Thanks Jason. So if I ordered new wheels & tires how easy is it to just remove the sensor from the factory wheels/tires & put it on the new ones? Guess my question is - Do I need to order 4 new sensors w/ new wheels & tires or can this easily be switched from factory wheels to new wheels?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

You might want check on the tire size first, GT3RS, GT2 are both RWD and bigger tires will not have a problem. But TT is AWD and changing the either the front or rear's rolling diameter will have an effect to the center diff, if the difference is big enough to be outside of Porsche's spec you run the risk of burning up the center diff.

Whatever front and rear selection you ended up with, make sure the front and rear diameter ratio remains close to stock.

Gregg,

If you would like to go with 325, somehow confirm that it won't damage the differential (there was a thread somewhere, maybe 6speedonline?). There is a tire calculator somewhere that I can't find now either, so following is 100% guess work on my part, as I don't know much about tires, or differential, and it's been a while since elementary math (someone corrects me if I am totally off the path).

Stock rear 305 30 19: Height of tire therefore 305mm x .3 = 91.5mm

Your planned rear tire 315 25 19: Height of tire 315 x 25 = 78.75mm

The stock tire is therefore about 13mm (.5 inch) bigger in radius. IOW your planned 325 replacement tire is SMALLER in diameter by 1 inch, and smaller in circumference by 3.1416 ( someone checks my math please) inches or so.

I vaguely recall from that old thread that the ratio of rear to front tire circumference has to remain around a certain range, or the differential will be damaged, and vaguely recall (not sure at all) that the poster was doing something similar to what you are doing.
    Whether this 3 inch difference causes the ratio to exceed that range? I don't know.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

This is what I'm considering:

Michelin PS2's.
    235/35/19 tires
    315/25/19 tires

That way I don't have to make the tire swap from the stock wheels to the new wheels but the sensors are $98 each.

Yes, you definitely want to double check that you're getting the correct tire size because the wrong size CAN damage your center differential. One member on 6speedonline put on 315 tires on the rears which had a different aspect ratio than the front and as a result, it burned out his center differential. Expensive to replace if I recall correctly. I'd refrain from going larger than 305s as a result unless you're able to find tires with the correct aspect ratio. It's not worth it unless you're absolutely certain that it'll work. I know for a fact that the GT2 has 325s BUT those PS2s are only available in Sport Cup versions. I suggest that you stay with the stock tire sizes to be on the safe side. And yes, as cannaga pointed out, the TPMS sensors are transferrable. They moved them from my stock turbo wheels to the RS wheels easily. AFAIK, Champion wheels are all compatible with the TPMS sensors.

Thanks so much Cann, Whoppsy, Jason. You're right! I thought it was just a difference in width but now get what you're saying. I'm going to keep stock sizes & tires then for sure. Saves me about $1600 worth of tires too. You know this place is so freakin helpful making the right decisions & just as important has saved me from making costly mistakes. Yes Jason the Champion RS171 is TPMS compatible & does not require spacers. They should look really cool. I got Chrome bolts too, the ones from the WERKS ad that has the dimples. It's all in the details imho... Wonder if there is a choice of valve stems? The ones on these pics that my guy at Champion sent look Chrome.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690784 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410036 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256138 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235371 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858703 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775003 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM