Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche should be ashamed ................

Eliminating the spare tire on the 997 model car. The excuse for this blunder "giving you more space up front" is asinine. If I wanted more space I would buy the roof transport system and roof cargo box. I prefer the spare tire period! Now I have to go out and buy the spare tire along with the jack. Can you imagine the cost saving to Porsche on not having to supply the jack and spare? Plus they went up in price for the 08 C2S by $1200 clams. Sorry for the spout.

Has anyone used the compressor that Porsche did supply and how easy was it to use?

Thanks

Re: Porsche should be ashamed ................

I had a screw in a rear tire and hoped that it hadn't penetrated the tire. So, I removed it. When the air rushed out of the tire I realized I had a problem. I used the goop to try to stop the leak and even though it was just a small screw hole it did not work. The only way I could get it to stop leaking air was by using a combination of the goop and putting the screw back in the hole. Then I was able to go to a tire shop.

It is scary to not have a spare since you can't count on the goop to fix a leak. When you complain to Porsche they tell you that you simply should have called them and they would come get the car and put it on a flatbed to take it to get fixed. So, a simple flat turns into a several hour adventure. And I would have liked to see the flatbed truck operator try to get my car with its completely flat rear tire loaded onto the truck without hitting or scraping something. The tire could not hold air long enough to get the car onto the flatbed.

Definitely agree. Makes the car _UNreliable_! (Are you listening Porsche?) After the "fun" of Roadside Assistance it is very likely the car will be useless for several days while a new tire is flown in. I ain't driving a car without a spare. They justify it by the "weight savings." If I want to save weight (for track?) I'll remove the spare.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    I had a screw in a rear tire and hoped that it hadn't penetrated the tire. So, I removed it. When the air rushed out of the tire I realized I had a problem. I used the goop to try to stop the leak and even though it was just a small screw hole it did not work. The only way I could get it to stop leaking air was by using a combination of the goop and putting the screw back in the hole. Then I was able to go to a tire shop.

It is scary to not have a spare since you can't count on the goop to fix a leak. When you complain to Porsche they tell you that you simply should have called them and they would come get the car and put it on a flatbed to take it to get fixed. So, a simple flat turns into a several hour adventure. And I would have liked to see the flatbed truck operator try to get my car with its completely flat rear tire loaded onto the truck without hitting or scraping something. The tire could not hold air long enough to get the car onto the flatbed.

Sorry, but its your mistake for removing the screw. How could you think removing the screw would help? The goop works. You have to put the goop in, then move the car - slowly - to rotate the wheel. Put more goop in, and repeat.

I guess paying for the roadside assistance is cheaper than including a spare in the car. You also get to have your car towed to the dealership where they can sell you a new tire at about 25% over retail from a tire store.

Porsche eliminated the space saver spare tire..because the tires and wheels on the car are so BIG you can't fit a flat one in the trunk and you can barely fit one INSIDE the car unless your passenger is a housecat!!

That is why there is no "spare" tire anymore!

That is what you get for demanding HUGE wheels and tires on a SMALL car!

If Porsche put only 16" rims with 225-60's on 997s you would all be moaning and crying for bigger rims and tyres!

If you insist on getting a space saver spare and a jack, you better also get a long handled torque wrench..and some rope to drag the flat tire behind you!

Fatcats wake up!

JimFlat6, you are correct. However, that does not change the fact that it is better to have a spare in the car. Porsche roadside assistance is great. I got one of my tire replaced at the local dealer a couple of months ago, and their price was as good as tire rack. I was happen with it

Interestingly, for those countries that stipulate a need for a spare wheel by law, Porsche have had to go ahead and make one available. So, if you can make sufficient enquiries you'd soon find the official parts for the space saver/doughnut.

Pop

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    ...the tires and wheels on the car are so BIG you can't fit a flat one in the trunk and you can barely fit one INSIDE the car ... you better also get ... some rope to drag the flat tire behind you!

Exactly Unless of course you don't mind the prospect of having a flat tyre with a filthy wheel covered in brake dust, road grime etc sitting on your folded rear seats or on your front passenger seat... Not something I would want... even though the alternative is time-consuming in the extreme...

Quote:
    cag64 said:
    Eliminating the spare tire on the 997 model car. The excuse for this blunder "giving you more space up front" is asinine. If I wanted more space I would buy the roof transport system and roof cargo box. I prefer the spare tire period! Now I have to go out and buy the spare tire along with the jack. Can you imagine the cost saving to Porsche on not having to supply the jack and spare? Plus they went up in price for the 08 C2S by $1200 clams. Sorry for the spout.

Has anyone used the compressor that Porsche did supply and how easy was it to use?

Thanks

I just bought an '08 BMW 328 xi .

Guess what : No spare tire in that car either.Not even provisions for one .And that's a Station wagon with a lot more room (they do have run flat tires standard )

Re: my 997 S , I bought a "tire repair kit " for about $ 5 which I keep in the car, just in case I get a screw or nail in the tire . It's a much better solution than to spray the gook into the tire .

About spare tyre:

we went to France for a three days trip (organised by our Porsche club) and one of the guy had a very big screw in the rear tyre of his 997 C4S. We were 30 Km far from the closest city. Of course it was on Friday evening and all shops and garage were closing in few minutes. One of the guys with us was just coming back from the Transiberian race (so not a rookie); he was the only one out of ten Porsche owners (me included) familiar with the emergency kit. We tried to inflate the tyre, but the hole was too big. So, to reach the closest available garage (30 km away from us) we needed to stop several times an the way so to continuously pump up the tyre. Once we reached the garage (one and half hour later), we bought two used rear tyres ( Euro 400,00), so we could go back to Italy the following Sunday night (600 Km far away)! On Monday two new tyres were bought in Italy.
    By the way, Porsche Assistance did not give us any support like service truck or whatsoever, after all it was week end time and most of the people do not work on week-end!

Must not be so much fun, if something like this happens night time , in the middle of nowhere.

Hope you can read my Italian/English

The irony is, the bigger the wheel, the more likely it is to suffer a sidewall puncture which no repair kit will fix, so the likelihood of being stranded is greater.

despite the additional weight, I think I would like to see a runflat option for daily drivers.

Thirty years of driving all over the world (20-35k miles annually), never had to change a tire on the road. Porsche Roadside Assistance did come to my home once to replace a tire with a nail in it (lived in a new construction home). Inspect your tires daily or before you drive like any pilot before he flies. Replace questionable tires before they fail. Don't tailgate so you have see and avoid road hazards. Porsche you made the right decision. No spare, less weight, more room. Good job.

I'll take my chances, don't really care one way or the other, and I've (knock on wood) never had a flat in my life except on trailers hauling heavy loads (of course I carried multiple spares..)

I can't for my life understand why you want to have a spare in the car that takes up the whole trunk!!... I have never during my 12 years with drivers licens had a puncture on any of my tires.... I would say that the likelihood that the engine brake down or that something else happen to the car is more risky.. would you then advice to have an extra engine in the trunk to save you from dialing for help?

I just say.. great stuff porsche that you have saved me from that tiny ugly sparewheel and sorry guys that I don't agree with most of your oppinion in here...

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Porsche eliminated the space saver spare tire because the tires and wheels on the car are so BIG you can't fit a flat one in the trunk and you can barely fit one INSIDE the car unless your passenger is a housecat!!

That is why there is no "spare" tire anymore!

That is what you get for demanding HUGE wheels and tires on a SMALL car!

If Porsche put only 16" rims with 225-60's on 997s you would all be moaning and crying for bigger rims and tyres!

If you insist on getting a space saver spare and a jack, you better also get a long handled torque wrench..and some rope to drag the flat tire behind you!

Fatcats wake up!

I would agree with a large part of what you say, but I also have a membership in AAA, the American Auto Club, so I can get towed to a dealer where I can get the proper replacement tire if needed. I suggest getting a membership in an auto club that provides towing in such circumstances if they can't fix the flat. Also, I would insist on getting a tow truck that gets your car on a flat-bed towing truck (usually a Jerr-Dan in the U.S., which would get the whole car off the road).

I don't carry the tools to remove a nail, but given the discussion in this posting, I would not remove a nail and would use the "goop" to try to seal the leak while leaving the nail in.

If the tire still leaked air after such a temporary fix, I would call a tow truck to get my 911S to a tire dealer for the proper replacement.

Corvettes have the Goodyear "run flats", that allow one to travel about 50 miles on a flat tire without ruining the wheels, but I wouldn't want to try such a tire on my 911S, even if they offered it as an option, as I am too afraid that it would still result in losing a $2,000 + wheel to bending/damage. Running on such a problem tire could cost much more than the charge for towing and the cost of having to use another car while your Porsche is in the shop.

Jim

@venven...Your English is completely understandable!

Interesting story with useful information.

Do not be shy to post again.

Stop the INSANITY! I ain't got time to waste at the side of the road, at the mercy of tow trucks, dealer service, and car rental firms.

No spare? Make sure you drive a different car if you're doing nightime driving on lonely roads or interstates in proximity to high-crime neighborhoods.

Going on a trip without a spare? Check cell coverage first and take a satellite phone just to be safe. Extra clothes for a few unexpected overnights is a good idea too.

Porsche and others here may not have concern for me or my passengers ability to make it to our destination but I certainly take that responsibility seriously.

If I leave the city for a roadtrip I always take my spare, a jack and yes - a torque wrench. No need for a rope - get a grip with reality . I go on 2K - 4K mile road trips and I have had flats with my 997 and my 996 (and in fact all 7 of my past 911s - 28 years of Porsche driving but who is counting) - in some of the worst places you can imagine. In each case waiting even for hours to get a tow (flat-bed) and new tires was not acceptable - not to mention expensive - even with Porsche taking you directly to the dealer (gee thanks).
    Waiting four days (almost a minimum) for a new tire (when you have 10 days of vacation per year) in some backwater town is insane if you can help it at all. The spare takes up very little room and if required the flat tire can be tossed into a plastic bag and fits without problem in the back seat. NO BIG DEAL - especially when this happens to you are prepared for it. I can be on the road in 10 minutes after a flat. Then I can make a sensible decision regarding fixing or replacing the tire.

I really do not see what the big deal is and why anyone would object to someone wanting to be prepared. Just because Porsche did not deem it important does not mean those who carry a spare are dumb or foolish. Does anyone here drive so fast that the spare impacts performance or takes up too much trunk space? Honestly.
    Stories of 'never' having had a flat are nice but that does not mean it will not happen at the worst time (I hope not). I think it is not doing our fellow Rennteamers a service to advise not to be prepared for emergencies. Perhaps we have gotten to the point where we are not able to even change a tire on a car. I have seen posts here where money was paid to install a battery so I guess anything is possible (next you can pay Porsche to put the key in the ignition for you ).

By the way, I also carry a puncture repair kit, extra tools, extra fuses, light bulbs, motor oil, first aid kit you name it, when I go on long trips. More than one of my fellow motorists has been rescued by my 'emergency kit' or spares. I certainly would rather be in a position to help myself and others than to depend on the help of others and strand myself and my passenger when I know I could have prevented it. If someone think this is a bad practice I certainly would like to hear the reasons.

Cheers and happy, safe motoring - Drive Right (except those of you driving on the wrong side)

Leawood, I advise you not to carry the flat tire inside of your car. If you had to make a sudden stop or were hit from behind, you would likely chance not being able to post here anymore.

You are safer wrapping it in a tarp and securing it to the roof with rope.

In order to solve your dispute gentlemen, I suggest to replace the wheels with anti-gravity devices - lol

Even if Porsche included a spare I never want to have to stuff a dirty 19"x11" wheel and tire behind the front seats. My 60 year old back would be complaining for weeks!

I could never use a 911 as a daily driver and I view my Porsche as a trade-off. I trade cargo and passenger space, towing capacity, ground clearance, convenience of a full sized spare and occasional snowy roads, all attributes that my GMC Sierra Denali AWD handles dutifully, for the all out performance which the 911 gives me in spades.

No complaints here for not having a spare tire or run flats and I live in a rural mountain area where roads are deserted at night and cell phone coverage is spotty at best. If in doubt, I take the truck.

Go to a recreational vehicle accessories website and find a heavy guage vinyl tire cover that will generously encapsulate the rear tire (biggest tire on car). Slip tire inside it and slide the whole thing in back seat with millimeters to spare.

Porsche sells a "boot" which is "code" for a very large but lightweight plastic bag for the dirty dirty tire. I think I was charged us$3 for it (!) .

good suggestion MMD, I will go out and get a tire cover for my car just for raining days...

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Leawood, I advise you not to carry the flat tire inside of your car. If you had to make a sudden stop or were hit from behind, you would likely chance not being able to post here anymore.

You are safer wrapping it in a tarp and securing it to the roof with rope.

Please reconsider you advice - it is a very dangerous suggestion to put the wheel on the roof of the car. Not only is there nowhere for the tire to go once it is in the backseat (and you can seatbelt it) if you put it on the roof it really will become a missle which could kill someone else - it will certainly damage your roof even if you are not in an accident. Please, let's agree that the backseat is a much safer place than the roof, tied up with rope.

At any rate, all it takes is a 10cent plastic leaf bag (read large trash bag) and the tire is clean and secure in the back seat (you can then smoke more of that rope).

I believe your assesment of the danger of having a flat in the backseat for a short distance is totally out of proportion with the likelyhood of being stranded on a long journey with NO tire. I do appreciate your concern for my safety but I would be more concerned about those outside the car if the tire was on the roof.

I am really starting to think that some of you are simply not capable of changing a tire and so you are happy that task is not possible in a 997. If I ever get to the point where I would rather be stranded for days rather than lift a 19"X 11" wheel into the backseat of a 911 PLEASE take away my keys and sell my 911 for a bus pass.

Ask yourself - what would a LeMans driver do to get back to the pits - not sit there and wait for help with his thumb up his A$$! Sorry, I could not resist.

Come on, am I alone in this one? Is all that matters here in this forum related to cosmetic BS? I know that is not true. Thank you all for letting me post. Peace -

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Sorry, but its your mistake for removing the screw. How could you think removing the screw would help? The goop works. You have to put the goop in, then move the car - slowly - to rotate the wheel. Put more goop in, and repeat.

I removed the screw because at the time I wasn't sure how deep it went. I wasn't sure it had punctured the tire. I could not tell from looking at the small head of the screw how long it was.

I can only advice you, If the lack of a spare is so discomforting, to:

a) sell the car, and buy something With run-flats (even when they destroy the ride completely)

b) rent/hire a permanent back-up truck that follows you around With spares etc...

otherwise just enjoy your car

Quote:
    Leawood911 said:
    Porsche and others here may not have concern for me or my passengers ability to make it to our destination but I certainly take that responsibility seriously.

If I leave the city for a roadtrip I always take my spare, a jack and yes - a torque wrench. No need for a rope - get a grip with reality . I go on 2K - 4K mile road trips and I have had flats with my 997 and my 996 (and in fact all 7 of my past 911s - 28 years of Porsche driving but who is counting) - in some of the worst places you can imagine. In each case waiting even for hours to get a tow (flat-bed) and new tires was not acceptable - not to mention expensive - even with Porsche taking you directly to the dealer (gee thanks).
    Waiting four days (almost a minimum) for a new tire (when you have 10 days of vacation per year) in some backwater town is insane if you can help it at all. The spare takes up very little room and if required the flat tire can be tossed into a plastic bag and fits without problem in the back seat. NO BIG DEAL - especially when this happens to you are prepared for it. I can be on the road in 10 minutes after a flat. Then I can make a sensible decision regarding fixing or replacing the tire.

I really do not see what the big deal is and why anyone would object to someone wanting to be prepared. Just because Porsche did not deem it important does not mean those who carry a spare are dumb or foolish. Does anyone here drive so fast that the spare impacts performance or takes up too much trunk space? Honestly.
    Stories of 'never' having had a flat are nice but that does not mean it will not happen at the worst time (I hope not). I think it is not doing our fellow Rennteamers a service to advise not to be prepared for emergencies. Perhaps we have gotten to the point where we are not able to even change a tire on a car. I have seen posts here where money was paid to install a battery so I guess anything is possible (next you can pay Porsche to put the key in the ignition for you ).

By the way, I also carry a puncture repair kit, extra tools, extra fuses, light bulbs, motor oil, first aid kit you name it, when I go on long trips. More than one of my fellow motorists has been rescued by my 'emergency kit' or spares. I certainly would rather be in a position to help myself and others than to depend on the help of others and strand myself and my passenger when I know I could have prevented it. If someone think this is a bad practice I certainly would like to hear the reasons.

Cheers and happy, safe motoring - Drive Right (except those of you driving on the wrong side)

Leawood911 Perfect post!!

I like the post. The weight saving argument reminds me of the fat guy riding a bike who is bragging about how much weight he saved on lighter wheels and components. Do you really want to save some weight? Start removing all the creature comforts of your car. I live near DC and I don't have to drive too far before I lose cell coverage. Having a flat at that time would be awful. I think carrying a spare on those trips makes a lot of sense.

Yeah SurferDude the crap about weight savings from a spare tire kills me. I can just imagine these same people wanting to jettison their "spouses or significant others" from the passenger seat to save extra "weight"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    810605 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451093 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268465 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8244 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

889736 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    844718 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM