Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

What about these...

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I spoke to Neez, for QD7 19"'s they recommend the 12" rear's w/ 315 tires.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember a discussion that warns about changing tire sizes on AWD Porsches - something to do with potential differential issues when the ratio of front to rear tire sizes change. Maybe someone remembers this or can speak about it.

Yup, I believe it was burnt out differentials. Fred from 6Speed had that problem.

Gregg,

The 19x12 is a negative for me because I'd like to stay as close to stock as possible:

1. Cost. With trade-in of 1500 given for my Turbo rims, using same tire, the cost of HRE to me is "only" US $4100. With the Neez, doesn't it look like you must get new tires also? If so, the cost would be too much higher for me, potentially escalating to 7-8k maybe? Bottom line is I have some budget "constraint" (and you seem to have none! ).

2. Performance wise, although I do not know, have no evidence, or direct experience that a wider rim/tire might hurt or help this car, I don't want to have to deal with potential deviation, so my goal is to keep stock size, just make it lighter. This is purely personal preference.

I am NOT sure how accurate my numbers are--got them off the forum. Please double check. IF the front is indeed 8.5--narrower than stock, then I would be hesitant to buy this rim. While I am not sure about the effect of a wider rim, IMO a NARROWER replacement rim most likely is not a good idea.

I think cosmetically this wheel Neez is the most beautiful. I've mentioned I almost fainted the first time I saw it on the Enzo. If you want to get them, make sure to check on these other issues:

Will pacers be needed (offsets of the rims same as OEM?)? A negative if yes: weight.
    TPMS compatible?
    As jeffbco mentioned, IIRC you could change the tire size, as long as you keep the ratio of the diameters of front to rear tires within a certain (narrow?) range around the stock ratio. Otherwise you risk damaging the differential (someone corrects me if I am wrong.). There was a big thread somewhere about this. If anyone remember where it is, please post URL so we could all read what the problem was. (I vaguely recall it started when he was trying to do just what Stradale is doing now: Getting wider tires.)

I am sure you already notice , the Neez spokes are closer together and straighter than HRE P40, almost being parallel and giving it a near double spoke appearance. Very elegant. The P40 OTOH is more curvaceous and more like a 3-D Michelangelo sculpture.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Picture of the Neez was posted back on page 4 of your mega thread. Lol. The Neez is top quality and beautiful (a 7 fork mesh design like the HRE P40 that Jason seems partial too). It was my first choice, even above the Champ 67, until I found out its cost. Note that it's only avail. in Hyper Black, and for whatever reason, the width's are not same as stock (8.5, 12), a negative for me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    All Porsche-spec QD7 will be finished with Hyper Black only.

997 Turbo / GT2:
    Set of 19" (8.5F, 12.0R): $6,894
    Set of 20" (8.5F, 12.0R): $7,294"

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Don't worry, there are "nuttier" folks out there. I for one am one of them too.

If I were in the market for wheels, I'd be looking at these:

1) Neez QD7
    2) HRE P40
    3) Champion 67

That's in that order of preference.

Looked for NEEZ QD7 but no luck, what do they look like?

Since I'm getting an 11.5" rear (Champion 171's) I was told by Champion it's possible to install 315 rear tires although the stock 305's fit fine. So I'm thinking maybe I should just buy new tires so the entire set-up (wheels & tires) came mounted instead of removing the stock tires & mounting them on the new rims. Which tires would you guys get, what would be your first choice? Don't plan on tracking the car so what is the best tire & do you think it's fine to mount 315's on the rear?

ps: I can tell you're in the ocd car club too!

That's not that bad. The Champions are $5600 plus $600 for paint so you're looking at $6200 (Champions) vs $6800 (Neez QD7). I had been considering the Magnesium Champions and they are $10.8k.

Ahhh geeezz just when I thought I had made my mind up.

Cann - Why is the 19 x 12" a negative, wouldn't that be perfect then to put 325's in the rear so you would have the best of both worlds the wider 325 tire but in a 19" rim instead of having to do 20's to get the 325? That was the only part bugging me actually about the 19's I couldn't get the wider rear tires I wanted (325's), maybe these would be perfect.

Wow! Sweet Neezus those are nice.

Are you sure about the only 12" because in their catalog its says 11.5 or 12 for the turbo?

Can,

My GT3 RS wheels are 19"x12" in size and the stock tires (305) that came with the car fits just fine so I suspect that they would also fit just fine on the Neez wheels too.

As for the cost of those Manthey wheels, I guess I was just thinking of how much they'd cost with current conversion rates. They'd cost $13,454.13 in USD dollars. Pretty pricey if you ask me.

Quote:
    PandaMan said:
    What about these...

Did you forget to attach the picture?

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Can,

My GT3 RS wheels are 19"x12" in size and the stock tires (305) that came with the car fits just fine so I suspect that they would also fit just fine on the Neez wheels too.

As for the cost of those Manthey wheels, I guess I was just thinking of how much they'd cost with current conversion rates. They'd cost $13,454.13 in USD dollars. Pretty pricey if you ask me.

Yeah, the conversion rates make these wheeks vey expensive for you guys. They weren't that expensive a few years ago with the dollar and euro pretty much on par.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Gregg,

The 19x12 is a negative for me because I'd like to stay as close to stock as possible:

1. Cost. With trade-in of 1500 given for my Turbo rims, using same tire, the cost of HRE to me is "only" US $4100. With the Neez, doesn't it look like you must get new tires also? If so, the cost would be too much higher for me, potentially escalating to 7-8k maybe? Bottom line is I have some budget "constraint" (and you seem to have none! ).

2. Performance wise, although I do not know, have no evidence, or direct experience that a wider rim/tire might hurt or help this car, I don't want to have to deal with potential deviation, so my goal is to keep stock size, just make it lighter. This is purely personal preference.

I am NOT sure how accurate my numbers are--got them off the forum. Please double check. IF the front is indeed 8.5--narrower than stock, then I would be hesitant to buy this rim. While I am not sure about the effect of a wider rim, IMO a NARROWER replacement rim most likely is not a good idea.

I think cosmetically this wheel Neez is the most beautiful. I've mentioned I almost fainted the first time I saw it on the Enzo. If you want to get them, make sure to check on these other issues:

Will pacers be needed (offsets of the rims same as OEM?)? A negative if yes: weight.
    TPMS compatible?
    As jeffbco mentioned, IIRC you could change the tire size, as long as you keep the ratio of the diameters of front to rear tires within a certain (narrow?) range around the stock ratio. Otherwise you risk damaging the differential (someone corrects me if I am wrong.). There was a big thread somewhere about this. If anyone remember where it is, please post URL so we could all read what the problem was. (I vaguely recall it started when he was trying to do just what Stradale is doing now: Getting wider tires.)

I am sure you already notice , the Neez spokes are closer together and straighter than HRE P40, almost being parallel and giving it a near double spoke appearance. Very elegant. The P40 OTOH is more curvaceous and more like a 3-D Michelangelo sculpture.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Picture of the Neez was posted back on page 4 of your mega thread. Lol. The Neez is top quality and beautiful (a 7 fork mesh design like the HRE P40 that Jason seems partial too). It was my first choice, even above the Champ 67, until I found out its cost. Note that it's only avail. in Hyper Black, and for whatever reason, the width's are not same as stock (8.5, 12), a negative for me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    All Porsche-spec QD7 will be finished with Hyper Black only.

997 Turbo / GT2:
    Set of 19" (8.5F, 12.0R): $6,894
    Set of 20" (8.5F, 12.0R): $7,294"

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Don't worry, there are "nuttier" folks out there. I for one am one of them too.

If I were in the market for wheels, I'd be looking at these:

1) Neez QD7
    2) HRE P40
    3) Champion 67

That's in that order of preference.

Looked for NEEZ QD7 but no luck, what do they look like?

Since I'm getting an 11.5" rear (Champion 171's) I was told by Champion it's possible to install 315 rear tires although the stock 305's fit fine. So I'm thinking maybe I should just buy new tires so the entire set-up (wheels & tires) came mounted instead of removing the stock tires & mounting them on the new rims. Which tires would you guys get, what would be your first choice? Don't plan on tracking the car so what is the best tire & do you think it's fine to mount 315's on the rear?

ps: I can tell you're in the ocd car club too!

That's not that bad. The Champions are $5600 plus $600 for paint so you're looking at $6200 (Champions) vs $6800 (Neez QD7). I had been considering the Magnesium Champions and they are $10.8k.

Ahhh geeezz just when I thought I had made my mind up.

Cann - Why is the 19 x 12" a negative, wouldn't that be perfect then to put 325's in the rear so you would have the best of both worlds the wider 325 tire but in a 19" rim instead of having to do 20's to get the 325? That was the only part bugging me actually about the 19's I couldn't get the wider rear tires I wanted (325's), maybe these would be perfect.

Wow! Sweet Neezus those are nice.

Are you sure about the only 12" because in their catalog its says 11.5 or 12 for the turbo?

Thanks so much Cann, as always you are very insightful. After looking at the QD7 more I think I still prefer the 171's so while I will check on those issues w/ the QD7 I think I'm going w/ the 171's. Being able to just use factory tires on the 171's versus the recommended 315's of the QD7 are a big positive as well, you're right about that.

I definitely don't have unlimited budget, matter of fact that's why I'm being so OCD about which wheels to get, I can't afford a mistake, unlike a lot of other stuff that I could just re-purchase if it doesn't work out, once I make a decision on wheels, that's it, they aint cheap. I've also never purchased wheels before so being a newbie at all the different possibilities w/ wheel design & sizes etc. are all new to me. It was easier to pick which car I wanted to buy then pick wheels but definitely think I'm just about there thanks to your expert help & the advice of everyone else here.

8.5 would be the same size as stock no?

Stock Turbo wheels are:

8.5x19" 23 lbs. 8 oz
    11x19" 27 lbs. 14 oz

I also know for a fact that you CAN use the stock 305 width tires on 12"x19" wheels because that's what I have on mine. It's recommended to use 315 tires on the QD7s but it's not absolutely necessary. You can use 305s on those just as easily.

I'm quite impressed by the length of this thread - so long in such a short time.... cool!

lets try this again..what about these:

Quote:
    PandaMan said:
    lets try this again..what about these:

Wow! That wheel looks huge. I could see it on a Bling'd out Escalade.

From what I understnd now 1 piece wheels have a big advantage in strength & lightness over the older 2 & 3 piece wheel technology. imho that's probably why HRE introduced their Monoblock series & why Champion is already in that direction w/ their new wheels like the 67 & the 171.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Stock Turbo wheels are:

8.5x19" 23 lbs. 8 oz
    11x19" 27 lbs. 14 oz

I also know for a fact that you CAN use the stock 305 width tires on 12"x19" wheels because that's what I have on mine. It's recommended to use 315 tires on the QD7s but it's not absolutely necessary. You can use 305s on those just as easily.

Thanks Jason. Great to know.
    It's between the 171 & QD7/ but I prefer the 171.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I'm quite impressed by the length of this thread - so long in such a short time.... cool!

29 pages since October 25th that has to be some type of record.

Wow that's way up there.

If Manthey is made by BBS, I wonder if it's not cheaper to buy the same thing from BBS instead?
    http://www.bbs-usa.com/index.php?id=321

Also, isn't this wheel an 18 incher?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Can,

Yeah, the conversion rates make these wheeks vey expensive for you guys. They weren't that expensive a few years ago with the dollar and euro pretty much on par.

Thanks for the correction, Jason (& Gregg). Front stock IS 8.5 wide. Lol. I have all these numbers dancing around inside my head.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Stock Turbo wheels are:

8.5x19" 23 lbs. 8 oz
    11x19" 27 lbs. 14 oz

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Wow that's way up there.

If Manthey is made by BBS, I wonder if it's not cheaper to buy the same thing from BBS instead?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Can,

the are indeed made by BBS but exclusive for Manthey. They now also make them in 19". Given that they are made of mangnesium (sp?) they will last less. but the weight makes up for it...

I participated because the enthusiasm and nuttiness of the posters are either out of this world or out of control . I love it.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Quote:
    cannga said:
    I participated because the enthusiasm and nuttiness of the posters are either out of this world or out of control . I love it.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

LoL!! Or BOTH right?!

Well, I'm done, ordered my wheels.

Champion RS171's/ 19"'s.
    Black Gloss
    Black Gloss Center Caps w/ Gold Porsche Crests
    Chrome Bolts w/ locks

Basically the same look as the WERKS car. Going to use stock factory tires.

Geeezz now I need to order an exhaust,, thinking AWE.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

I think you have made all the right decisions! Now with the AWE and Werks airbox you are done! It's funny, you have built your TTcab to my dream specs Congrats bud

I myself am thinking that Cargraphic use Champion wheels, and they also do a mean Exhaust and Powerkit! Could get all 3 together.

Hmmmmm indeed!

I quite like thr Cargraphic (Champion) RG5s.

Does anyone know if the Champion RG5's are TPMS compatible?

http://www.cargraphic.de/stepone/data/downloads/d7/06/00/Champion.pdf

Wow!! I just compared weights...

For 8.5x19" fronts & 11x19" rears:

OEM = 10.66kg & 12.64kg
    HRE P40 = 9.75kg & 11.28kg
    HRE P43 = 9.75kg & 11.34kg
    Champion RG5 = 8.6kg & 9kg

Those Champions are LIGHT!!

Quote:
    rhino said:
    I think you have made all the right decisions! Now with the AWE and Werks airbox you are done! It's funny, you have built your TTcab to my dream specs Congrats bud

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

I know, I need to make a decision on the WERKS Airbox before my wheels ship. They're extremely nice over there at Champion, dealing w/ Victor who's fielded ALL my OCD questions in the past couple weeks without breaking a sweat, not easy I know. LoL!

He just sent me this video/soundclip, I was thinking AWE exhaust based on the comments here but this tubi sounds very cool imho. (attached)..Hmmmmmm couldn't attach the video/sound clip it says it needs jpg, anyone know how?

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Wow that's way up there.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Can,

Are Forged Aluminum RE Monobloc (18" Dia) the RS Spyder Wheels look??

Champions are very light, lighter than HRE, and of top quality. I've seen these wheels in person, they are indeed beautiful, but only if you like to have wheels with lip. Note also that the rear lip is much much deeper than the front (as mentioned for the same reason that rear HRE P40 and Champ 171 dive deeper than front) and make the wheels look uneven to my eyes.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:

OEM = 10.66kg & 12.64kg

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Champions are very light, lighter than HRE, and of top quality. I've seen these wheels in person, they are indeed beautiful, but only if you like to have wheels with lip. Note also that the rear lip is much much deeper than the front (as mentioned for the same reason that rear HRE P40 and Champ 171 dive deeper than front) and make the wheels look uneven to my eyes.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:

OEM = 10.66kg & 12.64kg

Thanks, yes, good observation.

Hey, don't know if I have missed it already on this thread somewhere but does someone have the weights for the 171's?

BTW - Cargraphic are recommending that if I later put on a Powerkit that I would need wider than stock tyres to keep the power transferring to the road.

Don't know what your plans are Stradale for powerkits but you might want to consider this.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    rhino said:

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

I know, I need to make a decision on the WERKS Airbox before my wheels ship. They're extremely nice over there at Champion, dealing w/ Victor who's fielded ALL my OCD questions in the past couple weeks without breaking a sweat, not easy I know. LoL!

He just sent me this video/soundclip, I was thinking AWE exhaust based on the comments here but this tubi sounds very cool imho. (attached)..Hmmmmmm couldn't attach the video/sound clip it says it needs jpg, anyone know how?

TAke a 2 hr. drive to PA and you can hear AWE and FS in person. Their shops are about 10 minutes apart. If you want to hear my FS i'd be glad to meet you somewhere.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    BTW - Cargraphic are recommending that if I later put on a Powerkit that I would need wider than stock tyres to keep the power transferring to the road.

Don't know what your plans are Stradale for powerkits but you might want to consider this.

imo that's BS. Especially w/ an all-wheel drive Turbo that has it's engine in the rear.
    Porsche doesn't fit the S w/ wider tires.
    I considered wider tires which I'm able to do but from what I've read it's best to keep stock size.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776761 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441531 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262690 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260825 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85104 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5506 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880538 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815669 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM