Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

oficial photos of the m5 production version

I think it's very cool, as a matter of a fact i think the 5 series is cool from the first moment i saw it in photos and in all its versions.

But i bet some will say that now they saw the m5 the car, the 5 series is really growing on them...pfffffffff.BS

I'm not refering to anywhone in rennteam, just some jacka**** on another board that one day say 1 thing and another day say something completley diferent.

1st....woshhhhhhh

Re: oficial photos of the m5 production version

2nd...

3rd...

4th and last one

BMW M5 link

I think it looks quite good. Does anyone know whether you can get a standard 6 or even 7 speed manual? Is the SMG the only transmission offered? I hope not as the feeling of using both feet could never be replaced...

Quote:
    Mose said:
    I think it looks quite good. Does anyone know whether you can get a standard 6 or even 7 speed manual? Is the SMG the only transmission offered? I hope not as the feeling of using both feet could never be replaced...

SMG is only option now, but should be a manual offered by the next model year at the latest...

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    BMW M5 link

Says it laps 'Ring in "approximately" 8 minutes - I wonder what the actual time is...

Can't wait!

I can tell you right now that the 5 series will never grow on me. It's an ugly car that's caught between being a sedan and a sports car. Well folks here is what you get when you try to mix it up.

Truly bad results. (this M5 isn't as bad but it is still ugly)

In Antwort auf:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    I can tell you right now that the 5 series will never grow on me. It's an ugly car that's caught between being a sedan and a sports car. Well folks here is what you get when you try to mix it up.

Truly bad results. (this M5 isn't as bad but it is still ugly)

That is exactly what I'm thinking! Bangle doesn't get it right.

BTW, what are these black parts at the mirrors? Carbon fibre?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Says it laps 'Ring in "approximately" 8 minutes - I wonder what the actual time is...

A test engineer (not from BMW ) told me that he witnessed a M5 "record" lap on the Nordschleife done in 8 min. 9 sec. according to the BMW team. If true this is pretty impressive for a limousine.
    But to be serious: who the hell seriously track races a M5 or a E55 or even a Cayenne Turbo? I was asked to race my Cayenne Turbo at an event in Monza in August but I don't want to be the joke of the month.

Quote:
    RC said:
    A test engineer (not from BMW ) told me that he witnessed a M5 "record" lap on the Nordschleife done in 8 min. 9 sec. according to the BMW team.

If true, that limo basically beats ANYTHING Mercedes or Audi has on the streets ... and matches Sport Auto's lap time of the Ferrari 360, my oh my...

My kind of limo

In Antwort auf:
    carlos fromspain said:
    ... and matches Sport Auto's lap time of the Ferrari 360, my oh my...

Don't forget it has 507 horses more than the good ole 360...
    Let's wait and see how the new F430 will perform. I would be surprised, if it didn't put things straight again.

Quote:
    rossi said:

Turn indicator lenses?

In Antwort auf:
    fritz said:
    In Antwort auf:
    rossi said:

Turn indicator lenses?

In black? No, the indicators are located below the side air vents.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    A test engineer (not from BMW ) told me that he witnessed a M5 "record" lap on the Nordschleife done in 8 min. 9 sec. according to the BMW team.

If true, that limo basically beats ANYTHING Mercedes or Audi has on the streets ... and matches Sport Auto's lap time of the Ferrari 360

This is perhaps why I contend that Nordschleife times alone are not a good indicator of a good sports vehicle. Hp tends to help settle the argument on the long straights.

Quote:
    Justin said:
    This is perhaps why I contend that Nordschleife times alone are not a good indicator of a good sports vehicle. Hp tends to help settle the argument on the long straights.

The Nordschleife is perfect for comparison because it is like a public street but with different parts including twists, turns, compression, straighst, etc. The length is also pretty challenging because people loose concentration and start to get used to the speed.
    I'd say that the Norschleife is the most challenging (and probably one of the most dangerous) track in the world but people have to experience that by themselves.
    I know a few people who laughed at me because of my "warnings" and they returned back with a wrecked car and some of them with a permanent "reminder". Ouch.

We've had this convo before methinks.

Nordschleife is indeed everything you say, and you would know better than I would. However, when two cars produce the same lap time (in this case M5 and F360), much of the overall story of the two cars is left out. I would be more concerned with specific sectors, rather than factoring in 6th gear accleration (which is totally meaningless to driving in the U.S.). Must be a thrill though. This is sort of my evidence to backup your comment about taking a Cayenne or M5 to the track.

Quote:
    Justin said:

Nordschleife is indeed everything you say, and you would know better than I would. However, when two cars produce the same lap time (in this case M5 and F360), much of the overall story of the two cars is left out. I would be more concerned with specific sectors, rather than factoring in 6th gear accleration (which is totally meaningless to driving in the U.S.). Must be a thrill though. This is sort of my evidence to backup your comment about taking a Cayenne or M5 to the track.

Why are Americans always so impressed by the F360? It is a very nice car but it is no real track car and the track performance isn't something the F360 is famous for.
    Take the Cayenne Turbo in Hockenheim (Kleiner Kurs): no top speeds can be achieved, there are lots of twists and turns, the "real" straight isn't too long.
    The Cayenne Turbo does the "Kleiner Kurs" in 1 min. 20 sec. as far as I remember. The E55 AMG with slightly more HP and more than half of a ton less weight does the "Kleiner Kurs" only 2 seconds faster.
    I think that clever engineering, modern technology and a very refined and professional setup can do wonders nowadays.
    I wouldn't buy the new M5 because I'm not too much into limousines (the E55 was just an adventure... ) but I really think that the new M5 could give a lot of car manufacturers a lot of headache, including Porsche.

Quote:
    Why are Americans always so impressed by the F360? It is a very nice car but it is no real track car and the track performance isn't something the F360 is famous for.

RC,

I live in North America and I am not impressed by F360 at all.

Otherwise you are correct with regards to the track performance of 360. I can give few more examples of people I know thinking to buy F360 and what type of pattern they represent but I am afraid we will start one of those endless threads with Nick jumping in...

RC,
    You can substitute any sports car that has a similar time as the M5, not just the F360, and the point remains the same. I didn't mean for us to get lost in a discussion about Ferraris. I understand if you want to take this opportunity to make your opinion known on the 360, so I'll leave you to it!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Justin said:

Take the Cayenne Turbo in Hockenheim (Kleiner Kurs): no top speeds can be achieved, there are lots of twists and turns, the "real" straight isn't too long.
    The Cayenne Turbo does the "Kleiner Kurs" in 1 min. 20 sec. as far as I remember. The E55 AMG with slightly more HP and more than half of a ton less weight does the "Kleiner Kurs" only 2 seconds faster.
    I think that clever engineering, modern technology and a very refined and professional setup can do wonders nowadays.
    I wouldn't buy the new M5 because I'm not too much into limousines (the E55 was just an adventure... ) but I really think that the new M5 could give a lot of car manufacturers a lot of headache, including Porsche.

RC, on issue of why Americans are so enthralled w/360, curious if you have had chance to drive 360CS in intense back-to-back comparo vs. 996TT or GT3? Track times and hp/torque figures, etc. are essentially interesting academic debates; real answer is smile on your face (not Walter Rohrl's/Schumi's...who're on the P/F payroll) after you've had chance to really drive these cars (once you've become familiar w/each car's nuances). Too many very skilled drivers w/substantial financial resources (in both US and Europe)seem to have opted to acquire serial 360s (Coupe to Spider to CS) for their stable (along w/P cars) to simplistically call 360 a poseur's car that's never tracked, etc. etc. (There are plenty of negative stereotypes for every car brand/model....just find the relevant chat boards....and I would bet most of the most vocal critics have not really driven the competing cars, yet engage in very emotional debates based on buyer stereotypes, etc.) Obviously, personal preferences rule the ultimate answer on which car is "better"....but I suspect the answer is much more balanced than F/P chat boards would lead one to believe.

Quote:
    rossi said:
    In black? No, the indicators are located below the side air vents.

I meant turn indicator REPEATER lenses, as also used in the rear-view mirror housing by several MB models, for instance.

There are plenty of complete tail-light units on the market now which look black until they light up.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765109 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437073 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261313 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258140 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82727 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877362 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809568 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM