Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New Porsche Panamera (4 door sedan) Rumours

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Oh god I hope not! it looks like a french minivan with a low roof line!

Hmmmm. They could call it the Porsche Spass. Pronounced like (Renault) Espace in Spanish-speaking countries, right?

Should explain that "Spass" in German means "Fun".

Ja, ja, haben Sie viel spass mit dem Porsche (?E-) Spass.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Ja, ja, haben Sie viel spass mit dem Porsche (?E-) Spass.

Hmmmm, maybe the name doesn't have such a good "ring" to it after all.

I will be keeping a lookout ofr the Panamera. I'v only seen one twice, heading the opposite direction. I did not get a grasp on its size at all. It certainly didn't look huge from the angles I saw it.

As to the PDK, I think I saw, or should I say heard, one in action in a Cayman last autumn. Maybe someone with some insider knowledge could verify or disprove that.

Quote:
    Hammerwerfer said:
    I will be keeping a lookout ofr the Panamera. I'v only seen one twice, heading the opposite direction. I did not get a grasp on its size at all. It certainly didn't look huge from the angles I saw it.

Hammerwerfer,

Be sure to update us the next time you SEE one, if you also HEAR twin turbochargers spooling up.

Quote:
    elysium said:
    Some Americans would probably get a shock if they knew the kind of engines that go into Mercedes'/Audis/BMWs sold in Europe

The S/7/A8 all come with 6-cylinder engines.

Thanks for the info Christian, sounds like it'll be a hit

Not quite in Germany, the fuel operated engines are usually mostly 8-cyl engines but what you can see VERY often over here in Germany for example are BMW 7-series, Audi A8 and Mercedes S-class with DIESEL engines. The soon to come Audi Q7 with a 500(!) HP Diesel monster engine is a very good example of mentality over here. Not to forget about other cars with (very powerful) Diesel engines like the BMW X3 sd I drove a while ago. This little thing ran like hell (auto tranny, no lag at all from standstill, impressive) with a 286(?) HP twin-turbo charged Diesel engine.

Now I really have to go to bed...tough day tomorrow.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    elysium said:
    Some Americans would probably get a shock if they knew the kind of engines that go into Mercedes'/Audis/BMWs sold in Europe

The S/7/A8 all come with 6-cylinder engines.

Thanks for the info Christian, sounds like it'll be a hit

Not quite in Germany, the fuel operated engines are usually mostly 8-cyl engines but what you can see VERY often over here in Germany for example are BMW 7-series, Audi A8 and Mercedes S-class with DIESEL engines. The soon to come Audi Q7 with a 500(!) HP Diesel monster engine is a very good example of mentality over here. Not to forget about other cars with (very powerful) Diesel engines like the BMW X3 sd I drove a while ago. This little thing ran like hell (auto tranny, no lag at all from standstill, impressive) with a 286(?) HP twin-turbo charged Diesel engine.

Now I really have to go to bed...tough day tomorrow.

Not quite sure I understand your point

Mercedes S350, BMW 730i and Audi 3,2FSI are all 6-cylinder engines.

MB/BMW/Audi can allow them self to sell lower powered and less exclusive models in Europe compared to the US, and a V6 in a luxury car is nothing new here, thus my response about a Panamera V6 option. It could still be kept out of the US if Porsche decide it.

Quote:
    elysium said:
    Not quite sure I understand your point

Mercedes S350, BMW 730i and Audi 3,2FSI are all 6-cylinder engines.

MB/BMW/Audi can allow them self to sell lower powered and less exclusive models in Europe compared to the US, and a V6 in a luxury car is nothing new here, thus my response about a Panamera V6 option. It could still be kept out of the US if Porsche decide it.

I meant that you hardly see 6-cyl. engines in luxury cars over here in Germany, BMW 7series, A8, etc. have 8-cyl. engines or more likely DIESEL engines. Don't look at statistics. the BMW 7series, A8, etc. are also cars used for government use and most of them have 6-cyl. engines.

Just some latest information I've got from a engineer working on Panamera:

1. the trunk is very discutable. Internally long discussion about design vs. functionality requirements. It seams like a compromise but functionality won in principal (not everyone will like it).

2. the sound of the test mules is without the correct exhaust system. The car will be much more silent.

3. the car is nearly as long as an Audi A6 avant!

AM

Oh Dear! It looks like the rear end will take some getting used to.

These two pictures appeared in a local magazine, which says that these are computer generated pictures based on all the spy shot, which appeared in the last few months...
    It will be very good if RC or somebody else with more info, say whether they are close to the final product or not...

Thanks for the scan. The image looks like a squezzed down Cayenne with Cayman rear lights.

They are far from close. The head lights are all wrong. The body shape is a bit off and the tail lights are wrong too.

Quote:
    luwalira said:
    They are far from close. The head lights are all wrong. The body shape is a bit off and the tail lights are wrong too.

... and last but not least on these pics the car looks absolutely fugly.

The 100% rear shot looks interesting, but I don't think realistic. These images show design lines a la the new vauxhall/opel series: with angular shapes. Nothing in the spyshots of panamera prototypes shows us that design philosophy. They could be right with the vent behind the front wheel. The "bulge" in the front hood is something which can be seen in the spyshots as well, but I think they have the headlight shape and the shapes of the front grill all wrong... just my $0,02 when comparig to spyshots.
    -Joost-

I did a poor rework on this pic (apologies for quality) to incorporate the more rounded rear wings, lowered the roof line, repositioned the door shut line and made the headlamps smaller and more proportionate to the other spyshots seen thus far.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Thanks for the scan. The image looks like a squezzed down Cayenne with Cayman rear lights.

That might happen when the car gets washed with to hot water.

... but I do like it a bit.

Greetings

To my eyes that looks a lot better then the mules

Funny and kind of lowbrow that they adapted the official CL class marketing photo for their cover story.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    I did a poor rework on this pic (apologies for quality) to incorporate the more rounded rear wings, lowered the roof line, repositioned the door shut line and made the headlamps smaller and more proportionate to the other spyshots seen thus far.

Great work ISUK.

I'm sure the Panamera (and Porsche) won't disappoint us.

hahaha holy good eye.

Like with any new Introduction from Porsche so far the Traditionalist will dislike it - but still buy it sooner or later...
    No matter of how many of us won't like it - I bet that the first 2 years production will be sold out in no time. Being here in HKG I just learned that the local dealer doesn't take orders for GT3's anymore and the queue for the new Cayenne Turbo is similar long - so when the Panamera is introduced it will just be ordered and ordered and ..... and if the Europeans won't buy it - ship it to Asia...n just tell them it's the new Porsch....

This car is far away from the real Panamera. I've seen couple of mules by now. Not that they looked different than the pictures we have in here, but anyhow you see that for example, the rear lights are going to be very huge. Almost from rear door until the whole back. The front I think, will be anyhow than on those pictures we have in another thread, with the blue car. I think those blue pictures are much closer to reality!

RC - you have more infos, can you comment?

Porsche's four-door future...

"Porsche's four-door future" (23 October 2007)

Take a look at what's set to be one of the most controversial cars of the decade - Porsche's long-awaited Panamera.

These renderings, commissioned for the Bulgarian edition of Top Gear magazine, give us the best idea yet of what the likely 'love it or hate it' coupe-like four-door will look like.

The last of the four pictures is Porsche's official sketch of the Panamera from a couple of years back, and you can see that, as expected, the production car will get taller and roomier on the inside while losing the caricatured low-slung profile.

Our best guess is that the Panamera will be officially unveiled at the Geneva show in 2009, becoming an obvious rival to the Maserati Quattroporte, Mercedes CLS and Aston's planned Rapide.

As you can see from the pics, the engine's up front and there's a large rear hatch with, we expect, a retractable spoiler. We know that the Panamera will be rear-wheel drive, but there's nothing official from Porsche yet on what'll be providing the power.

However, rumours suggest the Panamera will get three different engines, ranging from a 300bhp V6 to a twin-turbo V8 with more than 500bhp.

Porsche has hinted at the possibility of a hybrid model, but that'll likely arrive later than 2009, when the first Panameras are due to hit the market.

TG-article-link

Re: Porsche's four-door future...

Not sure about this. Needs refining. Sort of similar feel to the 5 series F cars but they are somehow sleeker and more sporty, whereas this looks like the mongrel child of the Cayenne and the Cayman - to me at least. I think the headlights are much too large and the wheel arches are too high above the front wheels and insufficiently contoured at the back. Also the doors seem very big compared to the glass area at the side making the whole thing look a bit claustrophobic to be in.

Don't get me wrong, it's okaaaaaay (particularly the backside), but it looks a bit too *normal* - like an M-series BMW, especially at the front.

Just my two pence...

It's a very bad artists impression which bears little resemblance to the proportions of test mules seen thus far. How it got into print is beyond me as it's proportions are all wrong when compared to the test cars. The rear wings of the mules for example are wearing heavy disguise to cover the fact that the rear glasshouse tapers inwards 997 style with heavily sculpted haunches over the rear wheels like the Cayman. I also believe that the rear roofline above the trailing edge of the rear doors is a dummy to hide a more curvacious and sloping rear window but it will be over 12 months I suspect before we see less camo'ed mules as the car is at least 2 years away from launch. It never ceases to amaze me that some people seem to be believing that these guesswork pics are accurate. It must be frustrating for the design guys in Stuttgart to read forums like this where their work is being heavily criticised yet no-one has had the benefit of seeing the real car I did see one response from a frustrated Porsche employee on another site who was trying to reassure people that the finished product is going to be stylish.

German Auto-Bild from today:

Walter Röhrl says: "The final test drives with the panamera are starting in winter 2007 for 12 Month. The 4-Door car will carry real porsche genes. Finally he said the overal weight must be under 2000 Kg. The main rival seems to be the mercedes CLS"

Blueflame

P.S. an he hates the Smart-Car from Mercedes

Blueflame

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753076 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258591 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255454 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79501 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868307 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801859 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM