Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Here we go. This is HRE's latest offering, P40. More info. in one of my earlier posts. Yeah I like it too--just a classic design here done to near perfection.

Quote:
    andrea said:

wow! this is stunning! techart aerokit also... which type of HRE is this?
    do you have more pics of this 997 turbo cabrio?

Grazieeee

Those HRE's are my current favourite. They look like they stick out quite a bit from the wheel though so I would be worried about curbing them for parking etc.

Although something doesn't quite look right on this red Turbo exmaple of the HRE P40's

I would love to see those HREs in a gray finish, that would be hot looking on my gray Turbo.

One thing I just spotted about the Champion 171's is that they only do 8.5" and 11.5" widths. The 67's also come in 11".

The standard Turbo has 8.5" at the front and 11" at the back. So I don't know what changes the wider rears would make to spacers and or handling.

Found some more...

HRE 597R

HRE 890R

HRE C20

Another HRE C20

HRE C21

Techart Formula II

Another Techart Formula II

The current Turbo is, in my eyes, a rather difficult object from a design perspective, the rims crucially contributing to the car's appearance. Unlike the Carrera/GT3 models or the previous generation, the initial appearance is dilluted by those small gadgets that have been added, e.g. the vents, slats or lighting elements. The fact that the reg. Turbo rim has a very dark, two-coloured finished doesn't come as a surprise, bearing in mind how much those very light-coloured rims on the above shown pics distract the beholder's eye from the car itself. One advantage on this particular model must be the possibility to alter the car's character and appearance by just changing the type of rim. In general, rather conservative theme suits well, rather chose a wheel that lacks any kind of fuzz, overly complex geometry or patterns.

I personally would go with a rather elegant, even design theme, chosing rim colour depending on the vehicle's paint (the more prominent the colour, the lighter the rim can be). Yet, the lighter the colour the more obvious those openings become. Furthermore, the rims are easily interchangable, for example those facelift versions most likely will receive new designs. Unlike different fenders or tail lights, those rims can be retroffited with ease (and enough money).

The P40 rim is available in different sizes, both diameter and width. The later, if using same specs as factory, shouldn't be prone to get scratched more than the OEM ones. A wider rim would affect turn-in response to a small margin, if it is necessary or recommended on the Turbo is beyond my knowledge.

Those Manthey rims appear to feature a very pleasant sweep with the openings stamped out of the surface. I do favour these since they correspond with the vehicle's design theme very well.

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

Quote:
    devo said:
    Gregg, I'm a little late to this party, but I'd go with the 171's also. They look cleaner to me with more of an aggressive dish.

Both are very nice, however. Certainly, Chris' Slate tt is stunning too.

Thanks. Thanks to Crash too.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    You are very welcome Gregg. Your posts on PCCB played a part in my decision to "research" about and eventually order the brake (thanks).

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    I had a long conversation/thread on www.rennteam.com's GT2/3 forum a while back on this issue with someone who is based in Germany and tests brake in some professional capacity. He is knowledgeable (at least appears so to me), experienced, and is NOT exactly a PCCB advocate. One of the very few advantages, actually the ONLY one, he would concede to PCCB unconditionally is the reduced unsprung weight (35 lbs. against Big Red AFAIK).

Supposedly the advantage is more than just the weight loss. Being of the unsprung type, this small amount is enough to result in "better" ride/handling that is noticeable. You could also hear/feel the difference if you are to put your ear against the floor of the car as it goes over things like railroad track (I told him my wife wouldn't exactly appreciate this kind of experiment.).

Between PCCB and wheels, the unsprung weight saving would be around 50 lbs!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Me too, compliments the car really well. Both the 67 & 171 accomplish this imo plus they're lighter than stock. I wonder if you can feel any difference when combining 2 lighter unsprung factors,,,,, lighter PCCB's w/ the lighter wheels VS. steel w/ stock. Maybe, maybe not but it can't hurt.

Thanks Can.

You're welcome, hopefully you feel like you really made the right choice.

One of the things I just noticed on that Grey Turbo Cabrio is it looks like the new HRE monoblock rims are out further than the tires, can't tell for sure but if this is the case then they're not for me. I cant stand it when the rim juts out further than the tire reminds me of a low rider. On the Champion rim there is a flat surface and the tire bulges to the outside more than the rim.

Now look at the HRE. The front looks like it's out more than the rear but still looks out.

Oh there you go, you posted one from the rear too. See what I mean? Or no?

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Those HRE's are my current favourite. They look like they stick out quite a bit from the wheel though so I would be worried about curbing them for parking etc.

Although something doesn't quite look right on this red Turbo exmaple of the HRE P40's

I think I see the same thing. Thanks for all the pics. Those HRE's on the Black Turbo in the HRE show booth are tempting but if I change wheels I want to add to the performance/handling even if it is only a gesture. IMO getting those deep dish wheels you want to go big (20's) or stay home so I think the lighter 171's are more my taste. I've given thought to the TechArt's too, the Formula's but think I still prefer the lightness & look of the 171's. Dun no but the 171's seem newer, fresher to me, not sure how long they've been out but think they're pretty new (maybe since earlier this yr) so besides the phot shoot w/ the white turbo & the black turbo on wheel enhancement's site haven't seen anybody w/ them yet. Of course that most likey will change by the time I get to put them on my car but they still feel more modern to me & just prefer their very clean, simple but effective, no bling styling. We'll see.

Forgot I had this pic. sent to me by Champion. (it's better if you click "Attachment" and then enlarge it.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Now look at the HRE. The front looks like it's out more than the rear but still looks out.

no question, this is the best looking one.

what's the price and weight?

that's 20's right?

My CS wheels (very dirty needing a wash)

Although wheels are certainly on my shopping list at some point, a better sounding exhaust I think will be the #1 mod.

Stradale, have you similar plans already in place?

why no dynamag pics

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Forgot I had this pic. sent to me by Champion. (it's better if you click "Attachment" and then enlarge it.

Gregg, I think you really should stick with the 171 .

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    why no dynamag pics

Wow!

"Carbon Magnesium Car Wheel - Summary

The performance gain achieved by reducing the wheel mass (Un-sprung Mass) can be quantified using a factor of six. This means that to achieve the same performance gain by reducing the body mass, it is necessary to remove six times the wheel weight saving.

Example

A saving of 2Kg Per Wheel x 4 Wheels = Removing 48 Kg from the Bodywork.

In some instances, Dymag's Carbon Mag wheels have reduced the wheel weight by up to 5Kg / Wheel, which equates to saving 120Kg from the bodywork to get the same performance advantage."

thanks ..i think these look great im sure they are pricey, im remembering perhaps it was tulsa turbo who got a set and posted the pics on his car awhile back...or not

I'd stay away from carbon wheels. Carbon is very tough, but very brittle as the same time.

It's tough, as long as the pressure or force is applied in the same direction as the weave. Otherwise, it shatters.

Do you want your wheel to shatter at the first curb you hit?

No regret whatsoever about PCCB! Only thing is the yellow caliper doesn't match my Guards Red car as well as say a grey or black car.

You are correct: the HRE P40 spokes do come out a little bit further from the tire. But:
    1. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all 3 rims (Champion 171 & 67, and HRE P40) do this. They move OUTWARDS a little bit, a very little bit, before they make that dive towards the middle. In fact this outward bend is what allows the dive to be so dramatic.
    2. The outward bend is subtle. I can't tell if it would be ok for you but it is subtle and "looks" similar between the 67 and the HRE P40. (I did not pay attention to the 171 when I was last at Wheel Enhancement. I'll look next time I am there if you'd like me to; my car is at the port in San Diego so it should be here any time now.)

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

You're welcome, hopefully you feel like you really made the right choice.

One of the things I just noticed on that Grey Turbo Cabrio is it looks like the new HRE monoblock rims are out further than the tires, can't tell for sure but if this is the case then they're not for me. I cant stand it when the rim juts out further than the tire reminds me of a low rider. On the Champion rim there is a flat surface and the tire bulges to the outside more than the rim.

If it's the HRE P40 you are asking, the price is 5600 for 19, I think a few hundred more for 20. The weight saving for the 19 inch is about 13 lbs. less than stock for the whole set.

For those not familiar with 997 Turbo replacement wheels, following is a summary of what I know. If these criteria are important to you: one-piece forged, no lip, lighter than stock, 19 inch, TPMS compatible, no ouchy-ouchy cost , then the choices are actually very few:

1.The Champion 67 and 171 that Stradale showed at the beginning of this thread.
    2. The HRE P40 and P43
    3. PES (eclou's wheels)
    4. Rennworx (?)

Techart and GT3 RS OEM wheels are too heavy, Rinnspeed only 20", Manthey--ouch, etc.

Anyone please correct me if my info is incomplete. At this level of quality, as long as they are not chrome, I think the wheels are all beautiful and IMHO it's strictly a matter of personal preference as this thread's various posts attest. Gregg has started another interesting thread; I'd like "permission" to add one more data point. Here is a picture of HRE P43 (unfortunately only brush aluminum finish is shown, silver finish is more subdued, looks more finished, and much nicer IMO).

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:

that's 20's right?

Quote:
    cannga said:
    If it's the HRE P40 you are asking, the price is 5600 for 19, I think a few hundred more for 20. The weight saving for the 19 inch is about 13 lbs. less than stock for the whole set.

For those not familiar with 997 Turbo replacement wheels, following is a summary of what I know. If these criteria are important to you: one-piece forged, no lip, lighter than stock, 19 inch, TPMS compatible, no ouchy-ouchy cost , then the choices are actually very few:

1.The Champion 67 and 171 that Stradale showed at the beginning of this thread.
    2. The HRE P40 and P43
    3. PES (eclou's wheels)
    4. Rennworx (?)

Techart and GT3 RS OEM wheels are too heavy, Rinnspeed only 20", Manthey--ouch, etc.

Anyone please correct me if my info is incomplete. At this level of quality, as long as they are not chrome, I think the wheels are all beautiful and IMHO it's strictly a matter of personal preference as this thread's various posts attest. Gregg has started another interesting thread; I'd like "permission" to add one more data point. Here is a picture of HRE P43 (unfortunately only brush aluminum finish is shown, silver finish is more subdued, looks more finished, and much nicer IMO).

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:

that's 20's right?

Thanks, great info.

Do you know are there any colored Porsche crest for the stock turbo wheels?

I just responded to your question on the other Porsche forum.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689549 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409227 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255735 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857969 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774025 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM