Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

'08 Ford Focus? should I?

hey guys,
    as some of you know, I own a 2005 ford focus and love it. However, some of you will understand when I say that I feel as if it makes sense to get the new gernation Focus. This because Its imporved on eveything that I kinda didnt like about my 05. Stiffer suspension being one of the major concerns.

other than that, the new one has a much better interior and I will try to upgrade to leather seats and stuff.

BUT, im still a student and fiancing it would be 357CND based on a 36/month dealy thingy. I would of course hopefully be able to trade my 05 in for some money but will it end up costing me a lot more????

I dont want to jump into these things because I have NO experience with lease/finance. Keeping in mind i will only have a 4 month/year income.

anyways i hope you guys can give some advice.

Re: '08 Ford Focus? should I?

rear.

No sense in trading for something marginally different, unless you are already leasing and there is not much difference in the payments.

interior.

more

head shot.

oh yeah my current (first) baby. just for reference.

Do you own your current car? If so, why take on a lease payment when you are a student?

I own my current car but in selling it I would only make 2/3 of the value of the new one. so i cant just go and pick an 08 up from the showroom. And since i dont have a big income, i think a lease/finance would be my only choice.

Don't do it, keep your current focus and save your money for a real upgrade. Cars are a bad investment period, especially if your a student.

I am with everyone here. Keep the car. I am a firm believer of delayed gratification. Keep what you have without having to work even harder just so you have an upgrade. As much as I want a new vehicle, I am keeping what I have because I am about to go back to college. Only do something when you have the means to do it.

Quote:
    trip said:
    Don't do it, keep your current focus and save your money for a real upgrade. Cars are a bad investment period, especially if your a student.

Exactly!

The front on the new one is fugly, don't do it! Is that bumper for pedestrians?

I'd keep your current car. Don't stretch your budget yet.

Moreover, if I'm not mistaken, the 2008 is just a facelift, not a new model. The real deal is only 2 years away.

Keep the current car. Definitely not worth getting indebted like that for a Focus.

Got to say that I think Ford did a much better job with the facelift on the European Focus.

Yeah, likee the guys in here say: Keep your current car. Save your money and get a real, noticable upgrade someday.
    The worst mistake you can make is getting a car that is either not enough fun to be worth the $$$$ you will spend on it every month, or not cheap enough to make sense from an economical POV.

My advice is: wait until you can afford a real upgrade.

PS: For the kinda money that new Focus costs, you could get an MX-5, a Honda Civic V-tec, a Fiesta STi or and old Porsche if I am not mistaken.
    I'm not saying u should spend your money on any of those, but they all sound like a lot more fun than the Focus.

I agree with what's been said. Don't do it.

Since my audi got "killed", I had to buy another car. I just splashed 16,000 euro on a VW jetta because I had to. If I had kept my A3, I'd be having the same fun (wich means not much) and would still have the money on my bank account.

With money saved, you'll only get richer.
    With money badly spent, you'll never get riched enough to afford a porsche.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Got to say that I think Ford did a much better job with the facelift on the European Focus.

The US Focus is still the first generation. Even the 2008 model. Apparently build costs were too high for the US market. And they wonder why people keep buying (regularly updated) Civics!

@Dr Phil: they don't get the Fiesta, either. Or the hatchback Focus (any more). They look too small to be accepted by US buyers.
    Funny thing is, it's because of perceived crash safety ("big = safe")... whereas they are in fact more likely to get into an accident in the 4 door version (long rear overhang = poor handling).

don't do it! i personally think the new focus is one of the ugliest cars out there! it looks confused!!
    Keep your car, I like it!

I wouldn't do it either. I would wait until I could afford a nice 2-3 year old used 987 or 987S. That's the way for a Porsche enthusiast to go.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I wouldn't do it either. I would wait until I could afford a nice 2-3 year old used 987 or 987S. That's the way for a Porsche enthusiast to go.

We're not talking about the same price league... we're talking about a pristine 968 or maybe an okay 986.

Financial advice aside, US MSRP is $17,000 fully equiped and $14,000 for base new Focus. That is pretty cheap, but as someone who also worked their way through college and still strived to own a "cool and fun" car during those years, I bought this hot little souped up 280ZX that was quick and handled great! I sacraficed reliability for pure fun, and just wrenched on it myself when it broke down.

The smart guys on the forum will tell you to be patient, save your money and look to the future...but all the money in the world can't bring back the times I had at that age in that car. You have your whole life to be responsible, hard working, and save money. At that age, I didn't care if the car had cigarette burns, coffee stains, as long as it ran like H#LL, I was in!

Keep your car for as long as you can and learn to invest your money.
    I am lucky enough to be able to buy a brand new 997tt without any finance but will never do so.
    I am conservative because I think you should only spend at the most 5 - 10% of your net worth on depreciating assets.

Delay your gratification is the best way.
    Even Mike does it to an extent, saving for the Zonda F.

thanks a lot guys. you guys have a very strong and collectve voice over here. I think i will keep my current car and realize this is just better in so many ways. I guess I was blinded by the idea of getting a new car that i didnt see that the 08 focus is still the same thing underneath. I mean the engine is exactly the same!!!

SO thanks a bunch and I will save my money.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Yeah, likee the guys in here say: Keep your current car. Save your money and get a real, noticable upgrade someday.
    The worst mistake you can make is getting a car that is either not enough fun to be worth the $$$$ you will spend on it every month, or not cheap enough to make sense from an economical POV.

My advice is: wait until you can afford a real upgrade.

PS: For the kinda money that new Focus costs, you could get an MX-5, a Honda Civic V-tec, a Fiesta STi or and old Porsche if I am not mistaken.
    I'm not saying u should spend your money on any of those, but they all sound like a lot more fun than the Focus.

thanks for the advise dr.phil. I hear you when you say save your money. Mind you i had owned an 1986 Porsche 944 before i went to buy the focus . I just needed a more reliable car for when im studying! I wish the fiesta was an option here, but we dont have it. And as for the others, well the civic is not my cup of tea and the MX-5 is too small.

For a new car the focus is, i think, my best bet right now.. and i do love it.

Soooo back to work over here.

Quote:
    vinnie said:
    I am lucky enough to be able to buy a brand new 997tt without any finance but will never do so.
    I am conservative because I think you should only spend at the most 5 - 10% of your net worth on depreciating assets.

How do I invest I have NO experience or background knowledge of the whole business. I quick introduction to investing would be really appreciated!! hehe.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Financial advice aside, US MSRP is $17,000 fully equiped and $14,000 for base new Focus. That is pretty cheap, but as someone who also worked their way through college and still strived to own a "cool and fun" car during those years, I bought this hot little souped up 280ZX that was quick and handled great! I sacraficed reliability for pure fun, and just wrenched on it myself when it broke down.

The smart guys on the forum will tell you to be patient, save your money and look to the future...but all the money in the world can't bring back the times I had at that age in that car. You have your whole life to be responsible, hard working, and save money. At that age, I didn't care if the car had cigarette burns, coffee stains, as long as it ran like H#LL, I was in!

YOU are exactly right, this is the little voice in my head whos complaining about the focus being a shopping car. The vioces tell me to get a old porsche 944 or an e30 BMW...

Quote:
    vinnie said:

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:

YOU are exactly right, this is the little voice in my head whos complaining about the focus being a shopping car. The vioces tell me to get a old porsche 944 or an e30 BMW...

I am not saying that you haven't received good financial advice from everyone here, but then again, they already have what they want, so it's easy for them to say wait. I find it funny that people who can afford a new 911TT can honestly say with a strait face that saving a few thousand dollars in your savings account during college will make a difference later in life.

Let me tell you, NO ONE on this forum who owns a new 911TT, got their money from saving a few thousand dollars in college (that they earned). I would say 90% were born into at least "some" money and the other 10% are actually very smart. I think the overall "theme" to the advice is great, but your not supporting a family or have a mortage. You are not being stupid by taking out a loan for some new $50k BMW. You are talking about buying a car that is somewhat within your means. Let me tell you I skipped many lunches, ate $1 taco's, and scraped change to afford my car payment in college and looking back it was worth double that! I look back at the $5000 280ZX I bought in college and wish I didn't have to spend double that every month to provide a decent living for my family. Also, working on your car yourself will prove priceless and rewarding down the road even if one day you can afford to have someone else work on it!

And BTW, once you finally get out of school and start making real money, thats when you want to take everyone's advice, by never wasting your money on a new 911TT

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690446 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409726 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255966 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235261 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65643 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858379 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774654 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM