Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PSE - Back to basics

After having had the "PSE-hack" in place (orange electrical cable disconnected) for approximately 1,5 years I suddenly felt that I wanted to have some quite time in the car and suddenly didn't want to make much noice when I drive around in the city.... Since I got PSE installed on my car I have never understood people NOT doing the "hack" if they have PSE, but now I have turned in the opposite direction and the last weeks I have not even engaged the PSE by pushing the sport-button... I like the "normal sound" and to not offend my neighbours when I drive down in my garage, never start 3 car-alarms on the street when I push the throttle and finnally I'm no longer the reason for giving old ladies heart attack when I pass them

Is it only me.. or have any other experienced the same situation??... Right now I don't think I will ever disconnect the orange cable anymore....

One other thing I noted is that when I now engage the PSE with the sport-button (with cut-off between 30-70) I think is it SO MUCH LOUDER than what it was when I installed it... so after 30000km with PSE hack engaged I really seem to have burnet in the sport exhaust....

So conclusion is that the feature that I really dissliked when installing PSE have now turned to be a great feature.. I love the way PSE work without the hack applied.. Maybe porsche wasn't that mean as I thought 1,5 years ago

Re: PSE - Back to basics

I wonder if the flaps in my mufflers are not fully opening when the computer tells them to open. I don't consider my P-car with PSE to be all that loud when PSE is engaged. You can hear a difference but I have yet to set off a car alarm.

Does doing the "pull the orange connector" hack make the flaps open even further than normal operation?

For those of you that have disconnected the orange electrical connection what do you use to cover up both ends that are now exposed to the elements of the engine bay? Do you tie back the wire so it isn't just hanging loose?

Thanks.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. After having the PSE hack for some time, I also decided to make it quiet again by reconnecting the orange connector. After driving for a few minutes, I hated the quite mode and the cut-off mode (sport button enabled) so much that I had to pull over and disconnect the orange connector again. I've never gone back.

Don't know if the 'orange connector' version makes the car louder than the 'tube disconnect' mod, which is what I did last year.

Anyway, in my opinion, my car doesn't sound TOO loud at all - in fact it sounds like a 911 should.

I won't be changing back - it's no problem keeping it quieter, when nesessary, simply by shifting quicker and keeping the revs down...

That' s why I like my ' extra switch'. I can have it either ' hacked' or normal just by pressing my 'secret' switch

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    I wonder if the flaps in my mufflers are not fully opening when the computer tells them to open.
    Does doing the "pull the orange connector" hack make the flaps open even further than normal operation?

Thanks.

The PSE bypass valves are either open or closed.

They are spring activated , open by default ( loud ) and are closed by vacuum ( quiet )

The electric solenoid is closed by default and opens when 12 v power is applied .

When it's closed, it prevents the vacuum from closing the PSE valves .

So, if there is no power to the solenoid ( orange plug ) the solenoid stays closed and the PSE is on loud.

(If you pay attention, you will notice that whenever you start the car, the PSE dampers are always open (loud ) for a few seconds , until the cars vacuum closes the valves )

It makes absolutely no difference if you unplug the solenoid, or plug the vacuum tube .
    The result is the same .

Except it's a lot easier to just unplug the solenoid .And safer.The vacuum tube is connected to the cars vacuum system , which does other things as well . And if not plugged well , it may result in a CEL .

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    I'm at the other end of the spectrum. After having the PSE hack for some time, I also decided to make it quiet again by reconnecting the orange connector. After driving for a few minutes, I hated the quite mode and the cut-off mode (sport button enabled) so much that I had to pull over and disconnect the orange connector again. I've never gone back.

Alan, I know exactly what you mean, same happend to me!

From 996C4S PSE to a black 997TT was also serious change in sound. Right now I try to convince myself that I'm in stealth mode, always humble, because no need to prove anything.

For most drivers on the board, PSE is for their ears and no one else. We like a sports car to sound sporty as well as behave sporty.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

I gave it a go with the hack removed just to remember and see how it is originally with the PSE off... nedeless to say it lasted a few minutes till I switched back ON again, it sounded like someone stuffed a couple of bananas up my exhaut pipes

Quote:
    jcs said:
    Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    I wonder if the flaps in my mufflers are not fully opening when the computer tells them to open.

Thanks.

The PSE bypass valves are either open or closed.

They are spring activated , open by default ( loud ) and are closed by vacuum ( quiet )

The electric solenoid is closed by default and opens when 12 v power is applied .

When it's closed, it prevents the vacuum from closing the PSE valves .

So, if there is no power to the solenoid ( orange plug ) the solenoid stays closed and the PSE is on loud.

(If you pay attention, you will notice that whenever you start the car, the PSE dampers are always open (loud ) for a few seconds , until the cars vacuum closes the valves )

It makes absolutely no difference if you unplug the solenoid, or plug the vacuum tube .
    The result is the same .

Except it's a lot easier to just unplug the solenoid .And safer.The vacuum tube is connected to the cars vacuum system , which does other things as well . And if not plugged well , it may result in a CEL .

What's a CEL?

Check Engine Light

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    ... it sounded like someone stuffed a couple of bananas up my exhaut pipes

You mean the car's exhaust pipes, don't you?

Quote:
    Matt C said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    ... it sounded like someone stuffed a couple of bananas up my exhaut pipes

You mean the car's exhaust pipes, don't you?

I would hope so Carlos mentioned a COUPLE of bananas... unless his exhaust has been unusually burned out

I knew I was going to get a hard time for that phrase

I am just annoyed I forgot to record my hacked PSE music before I sold my Carrera, so that I could then play it loud out of the speakers in my new Turbo as I drive along!

Like Gnil stated, it's nice to always have the switch. You entering your neighborhood late at night or are about to pass a police car idling at the side of the road? Midasize it!

Dan

Interesting thread - I went through this too.

I kept the PSE mod done (vacuum hose disconnection method) until September this year. I would undo and redo it every few months to stop the flaps from getting jammed permanently.

Then in Sept, I thought I would see what it's like to keep the PSE mod off for a while. I didn't like it. I love the sound of the car with the PSE on all the time. It's actually easier to drive since you can hear the engine note better. I certainly have never set off anyone's car alarm. I don't think I have ever disturbed my neighbours...

I do however undo the mod if I have to go to the dealer. I don't want them to know that I did it.

Also, I don't always like to drive in the twitchy, edgy, sporty way that Sport Chrono Sport mode induces in me. But without the PSE mod, I would have to drive in Sport Chrono Sport mode all the time just to have PSE.

So I certainly don't like the way PAG did this. We should have simply been given a separate switch for PSE even though we have Sport Chrono as well.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Also, I don't always like to drive in the twitchy, edgy, sporty way that Sport Chrono Sport mode induces in me. But without the PSE mod, I would have to drive in Sport Chrono Sport mode all the time just to have PSE.

So I certainly don't like the way PAG did this. We should have simply been given a separate switch for PSE even though we have Sport Chrono as well.

So why don't you just install a separate switch ?
    All you need to do is splice it into the 12 v power going to the solenoid valve .
    In the " off " position, PSE will always be on loud and in
    the " on " everything works per factory .

I put mine in the ashtray.

Sounds like a good opportunity for a DIY post! Or at least a parts list. Where'd you get that switch assembly and how'd you get it to fit in the ashtray so perfectly?! That's HOT!

I played with PSE for the first few months I owned the car but now I generally just forget about it and fail to turn it on. Even with it off the engine still sounds sweet under full throttle nearing red line.

Quote:
    Weasel said:
    Sounds like a good opportunity for a DIY post! Or at least a parts list. Where'd you get that switch assembly and how'd you get it to fit in the ashtray so perfectly?! That's HOT! [/quote

I like to tinker with things. So I made a mold from the inside of the ashtray and cast it in resin.
    It just drops in , perfect fit.

Others have just removed the cigarette snuffer thingy and epoxied a switch into it's opening . Either way works well and looks like a factory install.

Lukas - I remember your car, one of the nicest on Rennteam IMO. A dirty 911 is a happy 911!

Thank you all for your wise considerations around this topic. I have actually engaged the PSE with the button a number of times with a great smile... I think from my perspective it all started when we moved our garage at work and I had to go up to the third level in our garage.... It sounded like driving through a tunnel and the echo was just crazy... People starred at my car and this was where my concern begun. When driving into the garage now with PSE-off it performs like a sleeper if I don't push that hard, and I like to be a little more discrete... However during vacation time when I drive spirited I will for sure go back to the disconnected variant, maybe next summer

Thank hellgelb for your kind comment regarding my car... that picture was taken last winter in Stockholm.. I will go out and take some autumn pictures this weekend and post

Here is a pic of my ' secret' button.
    It has been fitted where the switch to open the roof of the cab would be.

Gnil, that is a very nice job! Could you tell me by PM which dealer did that for you so that next time I come to Switzerland, I can get that done too??

Hi I'm new to RennTeam. I have an '07 GT3 RS. I had the mentioned PSE hack in place but when I took my car to the dealer fo an initial service, they hooked it back up. It was originally done for me by a shop and I didn't see where the "orange connector" was located in the engine component. Does anyone have picture of where it is located or a good text description? Thanks in advance for the help.

Quote:
    mdepaoli said:
    Hi I'm new to RennTeam. I have an '07 GT3 RS. I had the mentioned PSE hack in place but when I took my car to the dealer fo an initial service, they hooked it back up. It was originally done for me by a shop and I didn't see where the "orange connector" was located in the engine component. Does anyone have picture of where it is located or a good text description? Thanks in advance for the help.

Here is the solenoid location in my 997 .

Hi all. only just had my sports exhaust installed on my 997S by porsche. Had a 996 and had that hacked by a garage so it was always on (but could still be switched off by console switch?).

I am desperate to apply this hack to my 997 but cannot make up my mind what option to use...disconnect orange plug or pull and tape the hose's, surely just pulling the orange plug is easier and safer??

also can anyone tell me if their sports exhaust cut off switch LED on the console is ON when the exhaust is off and OFF when the exhaust is in loud mode. I queried this with Porsche and they said its they way it works. It just bugs me that the PASM when in sports mode the LED is on and the exhaust LED when in sports mode if off!! minor buigbear i know but anoying..

Thanks

Dan

I don't know why anyone would bother with the vacuum hoses when pulling the orange plug is much easier and faster.

As far as the LED, it may differ between different model years but as of 2007, when PSE is in sport mode the LED is on.

edit: I do not have sport chrono, so that might change the answer too.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688849 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408839 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255595 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234840 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773600 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM