Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

Another Neez pic.

I looked at so many wheels and everyone at Porsche dealer said not to do it as the original TT wheels give it a character. I hated them when I 1st saw the TT and when I got my car they started growing on me

you can't go wrong with the Champions. great wheels.

I had a long conversation/thread on www.rennteam.com's GT2/3 forum a while back on this issue with someone who is based in Germany and tests brake in some professional capacity. He is knowledgeable (at least appears so to me), experienced, and is NOT exactly a PCCB advocate. One of the very few advantages, actually the ONLY one, he would concede to PCCB unconditionally is the reduced unsprung weight (35 lbs. against Big Red AFAIK).

Supposedly the advantage is more than just the weight loss. Being of the unsprung type, this small amount is enough to result in "better" ride/handling that is noticeable. You could also hear/feel the difference if you are to put your ear against the floor of the car as it goes over things like railroad track (I told him my wife wouldn't exactly appreciate this kind of experiment.).

Between PCCB and wheels, the unsprung weight saving would be around 50 lbs!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Me too, compliments the car really well. Both the 67 & 171 accomplish this imo plus they're lighter than stock. I wonder if you can feel any difference when combining 2 lighter unsprung factors,,,,, lighter PCCB's w/ the lighter wheels VS. steel w/ stock. Maybe, maybe not but it can't hurt.

HRE wheel is 5600 for a 19 inch set. Wheel Enhancement would give me 1500 for my Turbo wheel (I know, not much, but I don't think I could get much more by selling on ebay (??), less the hassle of shipping damage.) if I pull them new and don't want to bother with selling them myself.

Champion wheels are great, but do have a look at these HRE's. The silver finish is much less bling and that aggressive dive towards the middle is something to behold. I am partial to this classic 7 spoke mesh design, particularly after I saw them on those RS Spyder's.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Good looking wheel. HRE needed something less bling for the Turbo that wheel does it imo. Still like the Champions but those are right up there, definitely wont rule them out. What does a set cost?

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

Not that you ever listen to me, I definitely would recommend the first wheel. The second wheel is for drug dealers, pimps and rap artist. The first are more elegant, classy, understated and will not detract from the entire car.

With the second, the first thing you will notice (if it is possible to notice a Porsche )are the wheels. The car will be secondary. I like cars to have symmetry.

BTW, have you asked yourself why Porsche doesn't offer these type of wheels? You may be better off saving $10,000.

Those HRE wheels seem to be a copy of the Manthey wheels - unless the Manthey wheels are also a copy of something else .

I'd also go with the 1st wheel, the 67. But because it looks like a 10K wheel, it is finished. The spokes are smoothed and shaped which took design thought and machining.

The 2nd wheel, the 171, and all the other edgy spoke wheels look unfinished and cheap. Simply cut-out, ugly and amatuerish imo.

However I would get the 67 in black(magnesium) if possible. That would be the best look.

I am looking at wheels myself and it is a tough decision to get the right shape and color, nothing else can affect the overall appearance as much.

I mentioned I wanted to get aftermarket wheels to sales guy on TT delivery day. SG says he believed warrenty on suspension would be voided.

Never checked to see if this were true. Sounds a little extreme; I hope he's nuts.

Some Sales guys have no clue

Quote:
    rhino said:
    Some Sales guys have no clue

Haha. First time I saw 997 in a showroom a SG told me it had run flats!

That's why I'm so happy with my dealer (Champion Porsche) They know about the car and the aftermarket options too.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Those HRE wheels seem to be a copy of the Manthey wheels - unless the Manthey wheels are also a copy of something else .

Hello "Crash,"

Judging by the number of posts, shouldn't YOU be the one giving a lecture on wheel design history?

Don't know who is first, but isn't the classic mesh one of the oldest wheel designs?? Just about everyone, BBS/Champions/Manthey/Fikse, has some version of this, only variation being the number of forks. http://www.wheelenhancement.com/index.php?t=Wheels
    As I saw it on so many P race cars at the Long Beach GP, I *hope* there might be something inherent good about the design. Either that or someone is paying someone a lot of sponsorship $$$.

The Manthey you posted is famous for its quality, but unfortunately also for its cost. Definitely in the "ouch ouch" territory!

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Hello "Crash,"

Judging by the number of posts, shouldn't YOU be the one giving a lecture on wheel design history?

Don't know who is first, but isn't the classic mesh one of the oldest wheel designs?? Just about everyone, BBS/Champions/Manthey/Fikse, has some version of this, only variation being the number of forks. http://www.wheelenhancement.com/index.php?t=Wheels
    As I saw it on so many P race cars at the Long Beach GP, I *hope* there might be something inherent good about the design. Either that or someone is paying someone a lot of sponsorship $$$.

The Manthey you posted is famous for its quality, but unfortunately also for its cost. Definitely in the "ouch ouch" territory!

"Ouch ouch" is right ! I agree that it probably is common, but I truly find it somewhat hard to believe that several companies are offering perfectly identical wheels out of thin air. Then again, you may well be right and I'm just assuming too much .

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Here are the Magnesium versions of the 171's.

Are you sure they are Magnesium? What is the weight and cost?

Where can you buy them?

Quote:
    cannga said:
    I had a long conversation/thread on www.rennteam.com's GT2/3 forum a while back on this issue with someone who is based in Germany and tests brake in some professional capacity. He is knowledgeable (at least appears so to me), experienced, and is NOT exactly a PCCB advocate. One of the very few advantages, actually the ONLY one, he would concede to PCCB unconditionally is the reduced unsprung weight (35 lbs. against Big Red AFAIK).

Supposedly the advantage is more than just the weight loss. Being of the unsprung type, this small amount is enough to result in "better" ride/handling that is noticeable. You could also hear/feel the difference if you are to put your ear against the floor of the car as it goes over things like railroad track (I told him my wife wouldn't exactly appreciate this kind of experiment.).

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Me too, compliments the car really well. Both the 67 & 171 accomplish this imo plus they're lighter than stock. I wonder if you can feel any difference when combining 2 lighter unsprung factors,,,,, lighter PCCB's w/ the lighter wheels VS. steel w/ stock. Maybe, maybe not but it can't hurt.

Thanks Can.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    HRE wheel is 5600 for a 19 inch set. Wheel Enhancement would give me 1500 for my Turbo wheel (I know, not much, but I don't think I could get much more by selling on ebay (??), less the hassle of shipping damage.) if I pull them new and don't want to bother with selling them myself.

Champion wheels are great, but do have a look at these HRE's. The silver finish is much less bling and that aggressive dive towards the middle is something to behold. I am partial to this classic 7 spoke mesh design, particularly after I saw them on those RS Spyder's.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Good looking wheel. HRE needed something less bling for the Turbo that wheel does it imo. Still like the Champions but those are right up there, definitely wont rule them out. What does a set cost?

That's the part I LOVE, the "dive" The HRE's have a good one but dont you thiink the 171's dive is more aggressive?

Here's another pic

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Not that you ever listen to me, I definitely would recommend the first wheel. The second wheel is for drug dealers, pimps and rap artist. The first are more elegant, classy, understated and will not detract from the entire car.

With the second, the first thing you will notice (if it is possible to notice a Porsche )are the wheels. The car will be secondary. I like cars to have symmetry.

BTW, have you asked yourself why Porsche doesn't offer these type of wheels? You may be better off saving $10,000.

I don't think the wheels differ that much. IMO they're very comparable, both are 10 spoke, it's just the spoke arrangement & the 67's spokes are fluted.

IMO the 171's are more interesting, they look a little more aggressive to me & they way the spokes turn from the outside of the rim towards the bolt section is more appealing to me.. Think they would probably show off PCCB's a little better too & definitely would be easier to clean. The cleaning part isn't a big consideration because of PCCB's but still, doesn't hurt. .. Matter of fact, I think seeing these 2 pics for the 1st time just now seals it for me... Didn't realize the 171 has a deeper dive than the 67.

I wish I knew how to post 2 pictures in one frame but since I cant maybe someone can help. 1st wheel

Can someone can put that wheel above in a side by side pic w/ this one?

The 171 will do a better job of "hiding" the lug bolts. Also, as someone mentioned before, I wish both wheels did not have the little holes - I don't think they add anything to the looks - just somethng else to clean.

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    The 171 will do a better job of "hiding" the lug bolts. Also, as someone mentioned before, I wish both wheels did not have the little holes - I don't think they add anything to the looks - just somethng else to clean.

RE: the bolts - That's true to.
    RE: the little holes - I really like the way that looks, part of why I like these wheels.

You know you're very right about the bolts, didn't see that before, thanks. The 67 has a flat area around the bolt holes/wheel cap, the 171 has a more interesting area around the wheel cap that stays narrow and then covers the bolt holes..... Think I'm good. Geezz didn't realize not being able to decide was irking me, it suddenly all came clear now. Ohhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LoL!!

THANK YOU!

Gregg, I'm a little late to this party, but I'd go with the 171's also. They look cleaner to me with more of an aggressive dish.

Both are very nice, however. Certainly, Chris' Slate tt is stunning too.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Can someone can put that wheel above in a side by side pic w/ this one?

Left one is more ganster-ish with the busy spoke design, I can those on a drug dealer car or a lawyer car in LA, especially in chrome form, the right one is much more elegant, nice simple clean design.

Both would look great...
    As mentioned before I also think the right one would look more ' dressed up', more ' bling', more like an evening dress, the right one is more sporty, more agressive with a track oriented look

You are very welcome Gregg. Your posts on PCCB played a part in my decision to "research" about and eventually order the brake (thanks).

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Thanks Can.

Yes you are correct, now that I look the Champion 171's dive is steep, deep, and more cylindrical, the HRE P40's more gentle, both more rounded/gentle/"sensual" (can't believe I am using this word talking about wheels--I need help ) than the Champion 67.

BTW, the dive is much more prominent and prettier in the rear wheel in case of the HRE--don't know about Champion.

Here's a picture of the HRE on a 997 Turbo Cab. Looks like it has silver powder coat finish, as opposed to the shiny brush aluminum finish that appears to turn a few people off. This car is on sale on ebay; there are more pictures of its profile if you are interested.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

That's the part I LOVE, the "dive" The HRE's have a good one but dont you thiink the 171's dive is more aggressive?

Here's another pic

Quote:
    cannga said:

Here's another pic

wow! this is stunning! techart aerokit also... which type of HRE is this?
    do you have more pics of this 997 turbo cabrio?

Here we go. This is HRE's latest offering, P40. More info. in one of my earlier posts. Yeah I like it too--just a classic design here done to near perfection.

Quote:
    andrea said:

wow! this is stunning! techart aerokit also... which type of HRE is this?
    do you have more pics of this 997 turbo cabrio?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752997 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430661 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255447 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868269 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801810 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM