Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

C2S best tire replacement

What are the best replacement tires for rears on C2S? I have conti's today, fine, not great but not too bad. 3mm left on the rears and 5mm on the fronts with 8k miles on the car.

Sorry to ask dumb questions but.

How are Toyo's, Michelin's, etc.

Re: C2S best tire replacement

The best tires are OEM replacements. Pick any one of them as they are all comparable, despite the overwhelming preference for Michelins that will undoubtedly be expressed shortly.

If you drive the car properly, about 10k is all you can expect from the rears no matter which brand you go with.

ok i'll up the anti best tires and where to get them from?

Pilot Sport PS2s, you'll never want to use another "high performance" tyre.

Tirerack!

agree...

For Best Value: Bridgestone RE050A N0. Tire Rack.

Re: Autocar Tyre Test + Others...

Conti's suck. At least they did when I had 'em on my Boxster and Boxster S. I've used Michelin Pilots ever since, even on my motorcycle, and they are great. Conti's are ok on hot dry days but can't match the Michelin's in cooler weather or in rain, and I get more tread life out of the Michelins too.

Re: Autocar Tyre Test + Others...

Are the Eagles N rated? I didn't think they were.

Consumers report October issue test the "Pilot" and the "Pzero". Results were pretty even. "Pilot" had better hydroplaning but the Pirellis had and edge on grip. You decide both tires are excellent. I would only choose one of these for my C2S.

EURO 2005 C2S
    Carrera sport wheels

The PS2's didn't do particularly well in Evo's recent tire test, placing 5th in a 9 tire comparison (November 200 issue).

I just replaced the two rear tires on my C2S. I had Conti's as OEM equipment so I went with those for the rear. I still had about 7/32" on the front, and this was with 10,000 miles on the car. I thought I would wait to wear out the front ones too before getting a different set.

It's hard to get the PS2's, as they are in heavy demand. A good friend who has owned (and raced) Porsche's for years suggested the Bridgestone's as being the best buy for the money.

I didn't think Tire Rack offered the newer "0A" version of the Potenza's for the Porsche, but if they have it, I would get those.

Jim

The two most overrated things on Porsche boards are the V1 radar detector and Michelin PS2s.

I love the Pirellis on my car and would only consider the Bridgestones as replacements.

I've had two sets of PS2s but I plan to switch to the Bridgestones soon. They PS2s are a great tire but the price is absurd for their wear.

Thanks to all and i will try the bridgestone's based on the feedback. PS2s are gerat tires as well but agree with the thread that they are overpriced for the performance.

Quote:
    911Dave said:
    The two most overrated things on Porsche boards are the V1 radar detector and Michelin PS2s.

I love the Pirellis on my car and would only consider the Bridgestones as replacements.

I have a V1 detector in my car and really hate the fact that it beeps for any little reason, no matter wether it is actual radar or not! I think it is a good detector but, just like you wrote, a bit overrated! I am annoyed at the lack of a "city" setting and having to constantly push on the knob to mute false alarms at stoplights which, as you can imagine, take a long time and can drive you mad. Again, a good detector but needs sorting in some respects and I wonder wether its great "sensitivity" is due to the fact that it seems to pick any signal up without filtering or discriminating amongst them to alert me of an actual threat.

Maybe some owners rave about it to justify its relatively high price but I don't fall into that category. I'm the first to criticize a bad decision I've made if need be. Not that buying the V1 is necessarily one of them, though.

My first C2S was on PS2's and I thought that they were great. My new C2S is on Pirelli.

I would say that there's not much difference in outright grip (I'd say the Michelins are a touch better in the dry and Pirelli a touch better in the wet if forced to choose) but the Pirellis are a quieter long distance ride and I think have less road noise (with PASM) Also they are perhaps a bit more progressive on the limit of grip.

The Michelin fronts seem to chew up more on the edges than the Pirellis too in fast road use, both types of rear seem to be the about the same. However I have gone for XRR option this time which might affect it as the rims are a tad wider as well as rear tyres being one size wider....

However-I just have to have one of the front Pirellis refitted and rebalanced due to vibration above 250 km/h and I never had that with Michelin. However my dealer said that he rates the Pirellis and they never have problems with either.

I'm intruiged about Bridgestone, though. On bikes I found them to really suit my style but I have yet to find someone with a lot of exerience in a 911 on them.

So based on my experience I's say either is fine. And as Porsche recommends its own specific tyres (N designation) I'd expect that all are fine unless you have a really strong preference for a certain brand or one of us can find some statistical evidence of one brand being better than the others.

Incidentally some GT3's have arrived in certain markets (UK for sure) on Pirelli and not the part slick Michelins to the chagrin of some buyers and Porsche has refused to change them, in spite of every press car being on the Michelins and praise being heaped upon them-except in the wet.

I asked at the factory about tyre choices and they said that they used to do it but just in time manufacturing plus customer buyer bias for one type of tyre makes it impossible to offer choice now and anyway in their opinion they are pretty comparable otherwise they wouldn't fit them. Freshness seems to make more difference than brand.

AFAIK the Michelins fitted to GT3s are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup whereas the Michelins fitted to a Carrera 2S would be Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.

Unless Pirelli have also started to make a partial slick tyre, why would a GT3 come fitted with a standard Pirelli? Seems strange...

Sure. I know.

Regarding the GT3: Well apparently Porsche reserves the right etc and the alternative tyre in the manual to the MPSC is Pirelli...

The customer apparently was not impressed...

My sales guy was the one who had to explain it to this customer and try and get Porsche to change them. They didn't.

Quote:
    john999s said:
    My first C2S was on PS2's and I thought that they were great. My new C2S is on Pirelli.

I would say that there's not much difference in outright grip (I'd say the Michelins are a touch better in the dry and Pirelli a touch better in the wet if forced to choose) but the Pirellis are a quieter long distance ride and I think have less road noise (with PASM) Also they are perhaps a bit more progressive on the limit of grip.

The Michelin fronts seem to chew up more on the edges than the Pirellis too in fast road use, both types of rear seem to be the about the same. However I have gone for XRR option this time which might affect it as the rims are a tad wider as well as rear tyres being one size wider....

However-I just have to have one of the front Pirellis refitted and rebalanced due to vibration above 250 km/h and I never had that with Michelin. However my dealer said that he rates the Pirellis and they never have problems with either.

I'm intruiged about Bridgestone, though. On bikes I found them to really suit my style but I have yet to find someone with a lot of exerience in a 911 on them.

So based on my experience I's say either is fine. And as Porsche recommends its own specific tyres (N designation) I'd expect that all are fine unless you have a really strong preference for a certain brand or one of us can find some statistical evidence of one brand being better than the others.

Incidentally some GT3's have arrived in certain markets (UK for sure) on Pirelli and not the part slick Michelins to the chagrin of some buyers and Porsche has refused to change them, in spite of every press car being on the Michelins and praise being heaped upon them-except in the wet.

I asked at the factory about tyre choices and they said that they used to do it but just in time manufacturing plus customer buyer bias for one type of tyre makes it impossible to offer choice now and anyway in their opinion they are pretty comparable otherwise they wouldn't fit them. Freshness seems to make more difference than brand.

When I was getting my two rear tires replaced last Friday at my dealer, I saw a new 911 turbo, and it had the Bridgestone Potenzas as OEM equipment.

Jim

I have had the Bridgetone Potenza's on my 06 C4s since new.
    I now have 12K kilometres on them.
    Grip fantastic and very minimal road noise compared to friend who has Conti's.
    See no need to replace yet.
    Very Happy owner!

I've now done 9981 miles on my PS2s. They're still running beautifully

I've got 14,000 miles on my PS2s and, believe it or not, I think I'll get another 1500 miles or so before I need to replace them. Obviously no track days here. I have noticed they've gotten much louder over the past 1000 miles though. It's getting tougher to have a conversation at highway speeds without yelling a bit. Great tires. Very happy with them.

Quote:
    Weasel said:
    I've got 14,000 miles on my PS2s and, believe it or not, I think I'll get another 1500 miles or so before I need to replace them. Obviously no track days here. I have noticed they've gotten much louder over the past 1000 miles though. It's getting tougher to have a conversation at highway speeds without yelling a bit. Great tires. Very happy with them.

You're most likely worn to the cords even though it might not look that way. I ran my first set of rears about that long and encountered the same noticeable rise in road noise. The rears were shot.

Hope the Bridgestones are good. I just ordered 4 to replace my PS2's.

You won't be disappointed in terms of performance and price value. They're quite quiet and smooth riding, IMO.

Look foward to it They are almost half the price and I've read they last about as long

Keep us updated. I'd like to hear a comparison between the two tires.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    AFAIK the Michelins fitted to GT3s are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup whereas the Michelins fitted to a Carrera 2S would be Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.

Unless Pirelli have also started to make a partial slick tyre, why would a GT3 come fitted with a standard Pirelli? Seems strange...

The Pirellis on the GT3 are P-Zero Corsa Systems - directional up front and assymetric at the rear. I believe they are original equipment on the F430 and Gallardo as well. Slightly less performance than the MPSC on dry tracks but much superior in the wet. I drove my GT3 in sleet and snow in Europe and the tyres performed OK. Significantly better than the Michelin PS2s I had on my old C2S. I think its a very good choice for a real world compromise.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778729 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442162 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263028 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261314 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85556 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5770 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880998 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817046 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM