Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

Gregg,

Is the sky blue? One of my most important conditions is that whatever wheel I choose, it has to be lighter than stock. So this is the first thing I look at, after the appearance (but of course).

Replace the M below with P (for Porsche)--yes I've "followed" these wheels before they even had a name . Believe M was for Mercedes. The Champions and PES are lighter even.

Porsche Factory 997 Turbo
    8.5x19" 23 lbs. 14 oz.
    11x19" 28 lbs. 13 oz.

HRE M40 Monoblok
    8.5x19" 21 lbs. 8 oz.
    11x19" 24 lbs. 14 oz.

HRE M43 Monoblok
    8.5x19" 21 lbs. 8 oz.
    11x19" 25 lbs.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Cann,
    Have you gotten the weights of the HRE 40's ?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    So picture the above black satin finish (thats on the HRE) on this wheel (Champions 171)... What do you think???? Now I think I'm leaning towards the Satin. Definitely not the Matte, it's either Satin or Gloss.

If it looks like the HRE above, then definitely satin.

Someone here ought to know more than I do. Anyway, they look like BBS racing wheel, forged aluminum or magnesium 18" RE monobloc.

BBS is of course the real thing, but I just don't like the look of the one that fits the turbo, RS-GT I think. It has lip and I don't think is that light.

Quote:
    andrea said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Inspiration for the HRE P40?
    Saw these guys at Long Beach Grand Prix. I think these are BBS's. Who knows, maybe having the same wheel design will make me feel like a superstar race car driver.

which model of BBS is used by 997 RSR?

Feel bad for you, 13 pages and counting for wheel decision.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    So picture the above black satin finish (thats on the HRE) on this wheel (Champions 171)... What do you think???? Now I think I'm leaning towards the Satin. Definitely not the Matte, it's either Satin or Gloss.

If it looks like the HRE above, then definitely satin.

Cool. Thanks.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Gregg,

Is the sky blue? One of my most important conditions is that whatever wheel I choose, it has to be lighter than stock. So this is the first thing I look at, after the appearance (but of course).

Replace the M below with P (for Porsche)--yes I've "followed" these wheels before they even had a name . Believe M was for Mercedes. The Champions and PES are lighter even.

Porsche Factory 997 Turbo
    8.5x19" 23 lbs. 14 oz.
    11x19" 28 lbs. 13 oz.

HRE M40 Monoblok
    8.5x19" 21 lbs. 8 oz.
    11x19" 24 lbs. 14 oz.

HRE M43 Monoblok
    8.5x19" 21 lbs. 8 oz.
    11x19" 25 lbs.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Cann,
    Have you gotten the weights of the HRE 40's ?

LoL! I knew you would have them.

I meant to mention before, that to my eyes the Champion 171 actually belongs to the same class of wheel design--mesh/ fork--as the HRE P40. Looking at the RF 171: It has forks coming out from center to rim, but instead of 7, it has 5.

I have this strange "need" to categorize everything, and IMHO, most wheels belong to one of the 3 wheel designs: single spoke (HRE P43, Champion 67, PES), double spoke (HRE 841), and mesh (both Champ 171 and HRE P40). Variations in center plate, length and design of spoke, and angles of forks, etc., cause them to look different from each other.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    But it's probably even closer to the P40's

I prefer the less shiny/glossy one, but this is strictly a matter of personal preference. BTW, I don't trust those pictures from HRE web site--the Brushed Aluminum is so off--maybe better to have Wheel Enhancement send you some pitures?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Thanks Cann. I'm definitely going to give him a call. RE: The type of Black, I need to have a conversation w/ Champion, there are some questions I have. When I tried making inquries Friday everyone was at SEMA, wonder when it ends? I really like the finish on the WERKS Magnesiums (guess thats gloss), maybe I can get it on Aluminum, need to ask what it is.

What do they consider the finish on the HRE? On their site it says "Black" but it's not flat or gloss, kind of looks like a satin, if I could go that way (finish) I probably would/ still not ruling the HRE's out, depends on the info from Champion. Not sure that I want to have the wheels finished by a third party, especially wont consider paint, powder coat would be the only option...

Thanks again for the contact, I'm going to call him later today.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    I meant to mention before, that to my eyes the Champion 171 actually belongs to the same class of wheel design--mesh/ fork--as the HRE P40. Looking at the RF 171: It has forks coming out from center to rim, but instead of 7, it has 5.

I have this strange "need" to categorize everything, and IMHO, most wheels belong to one of the 3 wheel designs: single spoke (HRE P43, Champion 67, PES), double spoke (HRE 841), and mesh (both Champ 171 and HRE P40). Variations in center plate, length and design of spoke, and angles of forks, etc., cause them to look different from each other.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Yup!

Instead of 7 Y spokes the 171's have 5 Y's. On the 40 the U's between the Y's close at top, where as the U's on the 171 get wider. (make any sense?)

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Instead of 7 Y spokes the 171's have 5 Y's. On the 40 the U's between the Y's close at top, where as the U's on the 171 get wider.

OMG I was working saw this post and almost fell off my chair laughing. Still grinning and laughing as I type this.
    Truth is I already understood you 100 per cent halfway through the sentence. Question is, does anybody else and do "they" think we are nuts beyond control?

Gregg,

I asked Wheel Enhancement re. satin vs. matte and was told that matte and satin are close to each other, neither is glossy. I have NOT seen either in person, just relaying the message so you could do the proper research, whichever finish you like. Hope this helps.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Okay spoke to Champion...Need to decide wheel finish.

Black Matte
    Black Satin
    Black Gloss

The Black WERKS car is gloss. I'm leaning towards the gloss but Satin could be nice too.

The gloss wheels look great. Any pictures of satin?

Nope but I'm pretty sure Champion's Satin is very similiar to HRE's

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Yup!

Instead of 7 Y spokes the 171's have 5 Y's. On the 40 the U's between the Y's close at top, where as the U's on the 171 get wider. (make any sense?)

Good grief!!! LOL! I thought I was bad. Just pick one LOL!

All I wanted was forged, lighter than stock, and no lip. You guys are looking at details that I didn't know existed.

roadtrip (& Chris)

LOL. Sorry about all the details; Stradale and I seemingly are having a contest to see who's nuttier & he is "causing" me to spiral out of control . I think my early post still holds true:

For those not familiar with 997 Turbo replacement wheels, following is a summary of what I know. If these criteria are important to you: one-piece forged, no lip, lighter than stock, 19 inch, TPMS compatible, no ouchy-ouchy cost , then the choices are actually very few:

1. The Champion 67 and 171
    2. The HRE P40 and P43
    3. PES GP7 http://www.pes-tuning.com/main.html
    4. Rennworx (at www.gmgracing.com, RSL and RSR)

Techart and GT3 RS OEM wheels are too heavy, Rinnspeed only 20", Manthey and Dymag--ouch, BBS lip & heavy, etc.

Champ 67, HRE P43, PES GP7, and Rennworx RSR are single poke designs.
    Champ 171, HRE P40, Rennworx RSL are web/fork designs.

They are ALL very nice and it's strictly personal preference IMO. The HRE P40 supposedly is selling extremely well, but who knows, maybe because it's the new kid on the block.

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    help...these are all starting to look the same imho...when over the top is not enough the total wheel look for me, so far, is the rsr setup , wheels, center locks and tires

Don't worry, there are "nuttier" folks out there. I for one am one of them too.

If I were in the market for wheels, I'd be looking at these:

1) Neez QD7
    2) HRE P40
    3) Champion 67

That's in that order of preference.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Instead of 7 Y spokes the 171's have 5 Y's. On the 40 the U's between the Y's close at top, where as the U's on the 171 get wider.

OMG I was working saw this post and almost fell off my chair laughing. Still grinning and laughing as I type this.
    Truth is I already understood you 100 per cent halfway through the sentence. Question is, does anybody else and do "they" think we are nuts beyond control?

LoL!! Probably. That's okay w/ me. When I do something w/ my sports cars I like to know all the options, for me it's a lot of fun.. I've always been that way w/ Cars & bikes etc. Glad there are a few other koo koo's here like me

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Gregg,

I asked Wheel Enhancement re. satin vs. matte and was told that matte and satin are close to each other, neither is glossy. I have NOT seen either in person, just relaying the message so you could do the proper research, whichever finish you like. Hope this helps.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Okay spoke to Champion...Need to decide wheel finish.

Black Matte
    Black Satin
    Black Gloss

The Black WERKS car is gloss. I'm leaning towards the gloss but Satin could be nice too.

The gloss wheels look great. Any pictures of satin?

Nope but I'm pretty sure Champion's Satin is very similiar to HRE's

The picture you posted from SEMA. Champion has told me this is Matte.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:

1) Neez QD7
    2) HRE P40
    3) Champion 67

Looked for NEEZ QD7 but no luck, what do they look like?

Since I'm getting an 11.5" rear (Champion 171's) I was told by Champion it's possible to install 315 rear tires although the stock 305's fit fine. So I'm thinking maybe I should just buy new tires so the entire set-up (wheels & tires) came mounted instead of removing the stock tires & mounting them on the new rims. Which tires would you guys get, what would be your first choice? Don't plan on tracking the car so what is the best tire & do you think it's fine to mount 315's on the rear?

ps: I can tell you're in the ocd car club too!

I think whatever wheel I choose it will probably be a set of HREs. After calling most wheel dealerships here in the UK, they all seem to think HRE are the best.

Here's a press release about the P40 and P43 new wheels:

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070814/0287650.html

Here's a picture of the NEEZ QD7 on a Cayman. I know they're available for the 997TT too.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:

1) Neez QD7
    2) HRE P40
    3) Champion 67

We need to start a "Wheels Anonymous" - I currenly have stored a set of Classics and the OEM wheels off my TT with GT3RS wheels mounted. If I had more space I'd be getting a set of GP7's or the 171's. It's a sickness.

Neez: http://www.neezusa.com/

Picture of the Neez was posted back on page 4 of your mega thread. Lol. The Neez is top quality and beautiful (a 7 fork mesh design like the HRE P40 that Jason seems partial too). It was my first choice, even above the Champ 67, until I found out its cost. Note that it's only avail. in Hyper Black, and for whatever reason, the width's are not same as stock (8.5, 12), a negative for me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    All Porsche-spec QD7 will be finished with Hyper Black only.

997 Turbo / GT2:
    Set of 19" (8.5F, 12.0R): $6,894
    Set of 20" (8.5F, 12.0R): $7,294"

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:

1) Neez QD7
    2) HRE P40
    3) Champion 67

Since I'm getting an 11.5" rear (Champion 171's) I was told by Champion it's possible to install 315 rear tires although the stock 305's fit fine. So I'm thinking maybe I should just buy new tires so the entire set-up (wheels & tires) came mounted instead of removing the stock tires & mounting them on the new rims. Which tires would you guys get, what would be your first choice? Don't plan on tracking the car so what is the best tire & do you think it's fine to mount 315's on the rear?

Can, if you think those were expensive then take a look at the Manthey wheels. Those were real eye openers for me!

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Picture of the Neez was posted back on page 4 of your mega thread. Lol. The Neez is top quality and beautiful (a 7 fork mesh design like the HRE P40 that Jason seems partial too). It was my first choice, even above the Champ 67, until I found out its cost. Note that it's only avail. in Hyper Black, and for whatever reason, the width's are not same as stock (8.5, 12), a negative for me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    All Porsche-spec QD7 will be finished with Hyper Black only.

997 Turbo / GT2:
    Set of 19" (8.5F, 12.0R): $6,894
    Set of 20" (8.5F, 12.0R): $7,294"

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:

1) Neez QD7
    2) HRE P40
    3) Champion 67

That's not that bad. The Champions are $5600 plus $600 for paint so you're looking at $6200 (Champions) vs $6800 (Neez QD7). I had been considering the Magnesium Champions and they are $10.8k.

Ahhh geeezz just when I thought I had made my mind up.

Cann - Why is the 19 x 12" a negative, wouldn't that be perfect then to put 325's in the rear so you would have the best of both worlds the wider 325 tire but in a 19" rim instead of having to do 20's to get the 325? That was the only part bugging me actually about the 19's I couldn't get the wider rear tires I wanted (325's), maybe these would be perfect.

Wow! Sweet Neezus those are nice.

Are you sure about the only 12" because in their catalog its says 11.5 or 12 for the turbo?

11.5 x 19?

I spoke to Neez, for QD7 19"'s they recommend the 12" rear's w/ 315 tires.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I spoke to Neez, for QD7 19"'s they recommend the 12" rear's w/ 315 tires.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember a discussion that warns about changing tire sizes on AWD Porsches - something to do with potential differential issues when the ratio of front to rear tire sizes change. Maybe someone remembers this or can speak about it.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    11.5 x 19?

how much are those wheels?

look better than the HRE.

Sweet neezus indeed

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Can, if you think those were expensive then take a look at the Manthey wheels. Those were real eye openers for me!

They aren't that expensive. The entire set of 19s costs 9200 EUR.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765207 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437148 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261364 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258171 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82737 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877422 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809649 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM