Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Black 20" HRE P40's on a TT Cab (click thumbnail for full sized image)

My God that's hot!

I actually don't like the looks of these wheels

I think the WERKS wheels would look so much better, esp w/pccb's.

x2...

Quote:
    JP66 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Black 20" HRE P40's on a TT Cab (click thumbnail for full sized image)

My God that's hot!

I actually don't like the looks of these wheels

I think the WERKS wheels would look so much better, esp w/pccb's.

I like the look of the HRE's but agree the Champion's look the best............Imagining the set-up below but on a PCCB Cabrio.

Emailed pics to 2 friends off board & they both picked the Champions too.

20 inch Sportec SPR's with 245/30 (F) and 325/25 (R) weigh about 25 lbs. more than OEM TT wheels and tires - lot of extra weight when you mount 20's even if they are forged, one piece.

For overall no-nonsense looks I'd get Ruf wheels.

Quote:
    MMD said:

Too heavy (doesn't add to performance) & too 1980's.

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    20 inch Sportec SPR's with 245/30 (F) and 325/25 (R) weigh about 25 lbs. more than OEM TT wheels and tires - lot of extra weight when you mount 20's even if they are forged, one piece.

If I did 20's I'd go w/ Champions. The Champion 19's are a lot lighter than stock. Do you know how the Sportec 20's compare to the Champion 20's?

Anyone know anything about Magnesium rims? Those Black rims on the Werks car above are Magnesium. Champion makes the same exact design in Aluminum (the 171's) but wondering if going w/ the Magnesium version is do-able? Remember hearing something about Magnesium being very light (I know that's what the use in F1) but maybe not as strong? Anyone know?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Yeah maybe..., but...,

Performance? I guess you spend _alot_ of time on the track.

80s? Sounds like trendy fashions for wheels are on guys' minds alot these days. Geez, have we all been turned into fashion monkeys? Sounds like women and their shoes (kidding!).

Was just at their website and apparently Ruf is glad to put these wheels on their tuned 997 Turbos. They seem to have an "updated" version too.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Yeah maybe..., but...,

80s? Sounds like trendy fashions for wheels are on guys' minds alot these days. Geez, have we all been turned into fashion monkeys? Sounds like women and their shoes (kidding!).

Was just at their website and apparently Ruf is glad to put these wheels on their tuned 997 Turbos. They seem to have an "updated" version too.

Not sure where I heard this (6speed or Rennteam), but a heavier wheel supposedly adds more stability at high speeds. Don't know through what mechanism (momentum, perhaps?) and not even sure that it's true. That's the only reason I can think of why anyone would put 20's on a car aside from looks alone.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Yeah maybe..., but...,

"Performance? Yeah & "I guess you" need a Turbo?

Don't take it personal, you didn't design the wheel, it's just my opinion.

btw: It's "a lot" MD. Cheers... It's been a great thread about wheels, let's keep it that way.

Gregg,

If no one answers your questions re. mag. wheel, give Wheel Enhancement a call--(310) 836-8908. The person I talk to there is David Martin, email: dave@wheelenhancement.com . He KNOWS wheels.

I have no personal experience with mag wheel; just recall reading that they are light, but soft & easily bendable and therefore used more for racing. If your area has a lot of pot holes, it may not be a good idea, particularly if you decide to go for 20.

Have you decided which shade of black? Gloss or matte?

Hope this helps.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

If I did 20's I'd go w/ Champions. The Champion 19's are a lot lighter than stock. Do you know how the Sportec 20's compare to the Champion 20's?

Anyone know anything about Magnesium rims? Those Black rims on the Werks car above are Magnesium. Champion makes the same exact design in Aluminum (the 171's) but wondering if going w/ the Magnesium version is do-able? Remember hearing something about Magnesium being very light (I know that's what the use in F1) but maybe not as strong? Anyone know?

go with champion 19"s , I had them on my 996 turbo
    I have pics , if you would like
    I was very happy, you will be too
    good luck !

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    It's been a great thread about wheels, let's keep it that way.

Yes, it's great thread on wheel options. Glad it's helping you to narrow your search. 221 posts so far are just the beginning.

AFAIK, a few (a lot??) of after-market Turbo wheels have a dip differential, not just the HRE (Stradale's future Champion 171 does the same.). This has to do with a design constraint: The Porsche wheel is wider in the rear, therefore the distance from the rim to the hub is MORE in the rear. In both front and rear, the spokes have to drop from the plane of the outer surface of the rim, to the plane of the hub where the wheel is bolted. This distance is much greater in the rear, leading to your observation.

1. In a wheel without lips, the drop in the rear has to be more pronounced. (I am hopelessly in love with the rear drop, btw.)

2. In a wheel with lips, the lip will be wider in the rear than the front. I am enclosing a picture of the Champion RG5. I am fairly sure the lip of this wheel is much wider in the rear.

3. If not for the drop or bigger lip, I would imagine some sort of pacers will have to be used.

BTW, looking at the excellent Champion RG5 wheel, I could see why the HRE P40 has caused a mini sensation among Porsche nuts: My opinion is that whereas RG5 is 2 dimensional, this new generation of wheel introduces a third dimension, depth, to the old web design. The wheel is now a 3-D sculpture, a work of art. (I need help? )

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    The only thing that bugs me a little with the HRE's is the inwards 'dip' towards the centre is MUCH more pronounced on the rear wheels than the front ones. So they look like different wheels.

ACDC fan?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    "Sweet Jesus, I am coming home!"
    This bad ass is so so so so haut my Guards Red fetish IS shaken to its very foundation.

LoL! That was funny!

Can't wait!

Back in black
    I hit the sack
    I've been too long I'm glad to be back [I bet you know I'm...]
    Yes, I'm let loose
    From the noose
    That's kept me hanging about
    I've been looking at the sky
    'Cause it's gettin' me high
    Forget the hearse 'cause I never die
    I got nine lives
    Cat's eyes
    Abusin' every one of them and running wild

CHORUS:
    'Cause I'm back
    Yes, I'm back
    Well, I'm back
    Yes, I'm back
    Well, I'm back, back
    (Well) I'm back in black
    Yes, I'm back in black

Inspiration for the HRE P40?
    Saw these guys at Long Beach Grand Prix. I think these are BBS's. Who knows, maybe having the same wheel design will make me feel like a superstar race car driver.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Inspiration for the HRE P40?
    Saw these guys at Long Beach Grand Prix. I think these are BBS's. Who knows, maybe having the same wheel design will make me feel like a superstar race car driver.

which model of BBS is used by 997 RSR?

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Gregg,

If no one answers your questions re. mag. wheel, give Wheel Enhancement a call--(310) 836-8908. The person I talk to there is David Martin, email: dave@wheelenhancement.com . He KNOWS wheels.

I have no personal experience with mag wheel; just recall reading that they are light, but soft & easily bendable and therefore used more for racing. If your area has a lot of pot holes, it may not be a good idea, particularly if you decide to go for 20.

Have you decided which shade of black? Gloss or matte?

Hope this helps.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Thanks Cann. I'm definitely going to give him a call. RE: The type of Black, I need to have a conversation w/ Champion, there are some questions I have. When I tried making inquries Friday everyone was at SEMA, wonder when it ends? I really like the finish on the WERKS Magnesiums (guess thats gloss), maybe I can get it on Aluminum, need to ask what it is.

What do they consider the finish on the HRE? On their site it says "Black" but it's not flat or gloss, kind of looks like a satin, if I could go that way (finish) I probably would/ still not ruling the HRE's out, depends on the info from Champion. Not sure that I want to have the wheels finished by a third party, especially wont consider paint, powder coat would be the only option...

Thanks again for the contact, I'm going to call him later today.

Quote:
    ARMD009 said:
    go with champion 19"s , I had them on my 996 turbo
    I have pics , if you would like
    I was very happy, you will be too
    good luck !

Did you have the 171's?
    Sure definitely would love to see pics no matter which ones you had!

Amazing what design & technology can create. The article in excellence or was GT Porsche don't remember right now, where they were at Champion & stated the 3 piece design is old technology.

I really like the dive in wheels too. HRE should hire you Cann, you can tell you genuinely love the way these look & you're making me want them!

When do your wheels come? In my area everyone goes to this Lambo dealer because there is a guy there that is suppose to be the best at mounting high end wheels, you know without scratches etc. But it would be so much easier for me just to have my dealer do it when they deliver my car, haven't made up my mind yet. I'll probably drive my car from the dealer to my 3M installer & then grab the wheels off the car while it's up on the lift for 3M, throw them in my SUV & run them over to the Lambo dealer, make the swap & bring them back to Detailing Dynamics & put them back on .. Do you have someplace already in mind to mount them?

The P40's spoke design does look just like them.

Porsche sent me a big poster of the RS Spyder. On the poster you can see the entire car's CF weave..........The 171's have a similiar spoke shape.

x

But it's probably even closer to the P40's

Okay spoke to Champion...Need to decide wheel finish.

Black Matte
    Black Satin
    Black Gloss

The Black WERKS car is gloss. I'm leaning towards the gloss but Satin could be nice too.

check the Manthey wheels. they might be what you are looking for.
    http://www.manthey-motors.de/mainframe.asp?lang=de&e1=299

Sportfelgen 997 plus a lot of weight savings...

help...these are all starting to look the same imho...when over the top is not enough the total wheel look for me, so far, is the rsr setup , wheels, center locks and tires

Cann,
    Have you gotten the weights of the HRE 40's ?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Black Matte
    Black Satin
    Black Gloss

The Black WERKS car is gloss. I'm leaning towards the gloss but Satin could be nice too.

The gloss wheels look great. Any pictures of satin?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Black Matte
    Black Satin
    Black Gloss

The gloss wheels look great. Any pictures of satin?

Nope but I'm pretty sure Champion's Satin is very similiar to HRE's

So picture the above black satin finish (thats on the HRE) on this wheel (Champions 171)... What do you think???? Now I think I'm leaning towards the Satin. Definitely not the Matte, it's either Satin or Gloss.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690221 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409575 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255892 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235132 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65618 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858300 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774514 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM