Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    You've got me wanting some P40s now!!

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/index.php?t=WheelDetail&id=197

I think the lower profile 20 inch wheels that cause the rim to stick out passed the tyre edge. The 19" pics look fine.

So the standard Turbo has 19" with 8.5" width on the front and 11" on the back. I think I would keep the same combination for the HRE wheels, Silver Powdercoated, with Porsche coloured centre wheel caps.

Which one is "Brushed and clearcoated" and which is "Silver Powdercoated"?????????

HRE P40

Gregg, use this link to view the differences.

Thanks. So the "Silver" is darker than the "Brushed".

Silver:

"Brushed"

Think the Black is amazing...Wonder if they have Black center caps???????????

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can fit Porsche crests in the HRE's

Quote:
    rhino said:

You can, it says so on the HRE site.
    Where would you get Black Porsche center caps w/ Gold Crests like these?

Think I prefer the HRE P43's to the Champion's...

If you would like, I could call my Sales guy @ Champion he might know.

Hi Gregg & Alex,

I don't think the pictures from the HRE site are that accurate. I've seen both finishes in person; let me give it a try.

Brushed aluminum in real life is shiny and sparkles. The surface of the aluminum has fine cuts--the brushed part, and these surfaces reflect lights at different angles, giving the finish its sparkles/shine. If you want to see examples: Some of Toyota and Honda's OEM wheels have this finish. Cadillac STS OEM wheels also have aluminum finish, but they are not brushed and therefore look more dull, like real aluminum.

The brushed aluminum HRE wheel in addition has a layer of clear coat, giving it more shine. It is more bling than your typical silver wheel; i.e. it's not for everyone.

It should NOT look like it's painted at all (because it's not), which is what that picture from HRE looks like to me. Here is the picture I took myself.

HRE Silver Powder Coat finish: Here they are just trying to match the typical Porsche OEM silver wheel finish. In fact I believe the introduction of this wheel was delayed mainly so HRE could have a perfect match. It looks like Artic Silver and matches exactly the silver surrounding of your typical Porsche center wheel cap. It is quite a bit more subdued than Brushed Aluminum. This is the one I am getting.

Here is a picture of what this finish should look like so you could compare it against the brushed alum. picture above.

Gunmetal grey: A darker grey than the OEM silver. The naming of this color is all over the place, I think: charcoal, titanium (??), etc.

This finish by Champion pictured here is matte in appearance. It is beautiful in person. It is much better IMHO than if you have your wheels painted Allas Silver by Porsche, as the latter is shiny and just doesn't look right, at least to me.

STRADALE,
    If your TTCab looks anything like I think it will, we might end up with the same looking car...if I go with a TTCab too. I've been thinking about how mine would look ever since these two pics came out....

I do also like these sportec wheels

The Sportec's are great looking - they call the color anthracite...but they only come in 20 inch.

If I get 20" HREs, will my ride quality vastly decrease?

A reseller here is telling me they will help handling, especially if I have 12" rear widths (standard Turbo rears are 11")

Quote:
    Alex_ said:

A reseller here is telling me they will help handling, especially if I have 12" rear widths (standard Turbo rears are 11")

Alex, those boat anchors will hurt handling, not to mention the severely reduced ride quality. Stay with the 19's.

Black 20" HRE P40's on a TT Cab (click thumbnail for full sized image)

Quote:
    Alex_ said:

My God that's hot!

I say go with the GT3RS rims in silver-ala Jason/Atomic80's.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:

My God that's hot!

Yes, pics courtesy of Wheel Enhancements. I emailed them for prices and if they could ship over to the UK.

Does look good have to agree

Quote:
    JP66 said:
    STRADALE,
    If your TTCab looks anything like I think it will, we might end up with the same looking car...if I go with a TTCab too. I've been thinking about how mine would look ever since these two pics came out....

I do also like these sportec wheels

I know what you mean, that WERKS car was partly the reason I switched from Basalt to Black.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:

Alex, those boat anchors will hurt handling, not to mention the severely reduced ride quality. Stay with the 19's.

Just curious are you stating personal experience w/ 19's vs 20's on a 997 Turbo or are you referring to what you've read or other? Just trying to get a real feeling for experience because it's something I'm still considering 19's vs 20's and would hate to make the wrong choice because of rhetorical positions.

"Sweet Jesus, I am coming home!"
    This bad ass is so so so so haut my Guards Red fetish IS shaken to its very foundation.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:

Quote:
    Alex_ said:

Thanks for these pics Alex, I've really wanted to see them on a Turbo Cabrio, looks UNBELIEVABLE! Guess that's what my car will look like if I go w/ the HRE's, except w/ PCCB's. I even have the Silver crest from the hood of my 997 S cabrio & would use it if I went w/ Silver wheel crests.

Only thing that strikes me as a shame is this car, so much $ spent but didn't make it a home run w/ PCCB's. Still awesome though.. Wish I could drive a Turbo Cab w/ 20's around here before I make up my mind, considering them more & more, could always put the stock 19's back on right? Hmmmm but want to use the wheels all the time, thought I was sure about 19's but seeing this pic. imagining my car w/ them & PCCB's!! Yum!!

Gregg,

For the center cap, I bought mine from Suncoast: http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/mercha..._Code=997wheels
    Note that this is the most current center cap, with a LARGE crest. Older caps have smaller crests.
    I imagine you would then have them painted locally or perhaps by Eric's www.bumperplugs.com . This cap (standard, current OEM Porsche cap) fits the HRE wheels perfectly.

The other place that I've heard about (no personal experience with) is: http://www.boothedesign.com/centercaps.html . I notice he displays different sized crests also.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    rhino said:

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:

Just curious are you stating personal experience w/ 19's vs 20's on a 997 Turbo or are you referring to what you've read or other? Just trying to get a real feeling for experience because it's something I'm still considering 19's vs 20's and would hate to make the wrong choice because of rhetorical positions.

Nope, don't have any experience with 19's vs. 20's. However, many guys on Rennlist would have a lot to say about wheel sizes. From what I recall some have even suggested 17's as the ideal size for the 996TT when tracking the car.

In any case, when dealing with wheels, you have to also consider the sidewall thickness in addition to the increase in unsprung weight. I remember the 6speedonline guys having their cars tested by a magazine and several of their 19" equipped cars had their tyres blown out under hard driving. Such a small sidewall, in addition to providing less flex will also make the car edgier to handle at the limit.

Surely depends on what the car will be used for, but one thing I can't argue about is the fact that the 20's do look absolutely amazing.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    "Sweet Jesus, I am coming home!"
    This bad ass is so so so so haut my Guards Red fetish IS shaken to its very foundation.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:

LoL! That was funny!

Can't wait!

Back in black
    I hit the sack
    I've been too long I'm glad to be back [I bet you know I'm...]
    Yes, I'm let loose
    From the noose
    That's kept me hanging about
    I've been looking at the sky
    'Cause it's gettin' me high
    Forget the hearse 'cause I never die
    I got nine lives
    Cat's eyes
    Abusin' every one of them and running wild

CHORUS:
    'Cause I'm back
    Yes, I'm back
    Well, I'm back
    Yes, I'm back
    Well, I'm back, back
    (Well) I'm back in black
    Yes, I'm back in black

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:

Nope, don't have any experience with 19's vs. 20's. However, many guys on Rennlist would have a lot to say about wheel sizes. From what I recall some have even suggested 17's as the ideal size for the 996TT when tracking the car.

In any case, when dealing with wheels, you have to also consider the sidewall thickness in addition to the increase in unsprung weight. I remember the 6speedonline guys having their cars tested by a magazine and several of their 19" equipped cars had their tyres blown out under hard driving. Such a small sidewall, in addition to providing less flex will also make the car edgier to handle at the limit.

Surely depends on what the car will be used for, but one thing I can't argue about is the fact that the 20's do look absolutely amazing.

Thanks, straight up.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Gregg,

For the center cap, I bought mine from Suncoast: http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/mercha..._Code=997wheels
    Note that this is the most current center cap, with a LARGE crest. Older caps have smaller crests.
    I imagine you would then have them painted locally or perhaps by Eric's www.bumperplugs.com . This cap (standard, current OEM Porsche cap) fits the HRE wheels perfectly.

The other place that I've heard about (no personal experience with) is: http://www.boothedesign.com/centercaps.html . I notice he displays different sized crests also.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    rhino said:

You're the best Cann!

The 20 inch's increased weight could only hurt handling, not help. And as you've already implied, bigger size = harsher ride. The recommendation against bigger/heavier wheel is uniform in any race/performance oriented forum. But I know, if you like the look, it's hard to resist.

IMHO, it's better to stay with 19. This is how the car is fine tuned/developed, and the P40 does look pretty darn good at that size. Hope this helps.

Addendum: Oops I see now Crash and Stradale are discussing this already. Never mind.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:

i think the 19 give the best performance...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688773 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408802 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234824 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65420 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857664 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773545 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM