Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

Quote:
    cannga said:
    No regret whatsoever about PCCB! Only thing is the yellow caliper doesn't match my Guards Red car as well as say a grey or black car.

You are correct: the HRE P40 spokes do come out a little bit further from the tire. But:
    1. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all 3 rims (Champion 171 & 67, and HRE P40) do this. They move OUTWARDS a little bit, a very little bit, before they make that dive towards the middle. In fact this outward bend is what allows the dive to be so dramatic.
    2. The outward bend is subtle. I can't tell if it would be ok for you but it is subtle and "looks" similar between the 67 and the HRE P40. (I did not pay attention to the 171 when I was last at Wheel Enhancement. I'll look next time I am there if you'd like me to; my car is at the port in San Diego so it should be here any time now.)

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

You're welcome, hopefully you feel like you really made the right choice.

One of the things I just noticed on that Grey Turbo Cabrio is it looks like the new HRE monoblock rims are out further than the tires, can't tell for sure but if this is the case then they're not for me. I cant stand it when the rim juts out further than the tire reminds me of a low rider. On the Champion rim there is a flat surface and the tire bulges to the outside more than the rim.

No, sorry not what I meant. I'm not referring to the spoke design. What I mean is - The rim on the HRE's stick out further than the tire. A lot of after-market rims do this. For me it's a visual no no but it also is a huge problem if you ever touch a curb. But it's not the curbing that would a problem this can happen w/ any rim, it's where the outside diameter of the rim meets the tire it juts out further than the tire, hard to explain. I circled the area that is most obvious.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    If it's the HRE P40 you are asking, the price is 5600 for 19, I think a few hundred more for 20. The weight saving for the 19 inch is about 13 lbs. less than stock for the whole set.

For those not familiar with 997 Turbo replacement wheels, following is a summary of what I know. If these criteria are important to you: one-piece forged, no lip, lighter than stock, 19 inch, TPMS compatible, no ouchy-ouchy cost , then the choices are actually very few:

1.The Champion 67 and 171 that Stradale showed at the beginning of this thread.
    2. The HRE P40 and P43
    3. PES (eclou's wheels)
    4. Rennworx (?)

Techart and GT3 RS OEM wheels are too heavy, Rinnspeed only 20", Manthey--ouch, etc.

Anyone please correct me if my info is incomplete. At this level of quality, as long as they are not chrome, I think the wheels are all beautiful and IMHO it's strictly a matter of personal preference as this thread's various posts attest. Gregg has started another interesting thread; I'd like "permission" to add one more data point. Here is a picture of HRE P43 (unfortunately only brush aluminum finish is shown, silver finish is more subdued, looks more finished, and much nicer IMO).

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    no question, this is the best looking one.

what's the price and weight?

that's 20's right?

Those are REALLY nice. I like them better than the other HRE's. They seem to fit the 997 better. Thanks again Can!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

No, sorry not what I meant. I'm not referring to the spoke design. What I mean is - The rim on the HRE's stick out further than the tire. A lot of after-market rims do this. For me it's a visual no no but it also is a huge problem if you ever touch a curb. But it's not the curbing that would a problem this can happen w/ any rim, it's where the outside diameter of the rim meets the tire it juts out further than the tire, hard to explain. I circled the area that is most obvious.

I think I know what you mean, what you were trying to say is that the tires are stretched wider in order to fit some 'too wide' rims. The end result is that the rim lip is farther out than the tire sidewall.

It's also a function of tire design, some tires are by design narrower around the sidewall so they will always fit inboard of the rim lips.

Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

Quote:
    GlennMc said:
    I think these are the best ones available:

holly sh!t!!!

that must be the best looking 911, perfect wheels, perfect rear bumper and side wow

any more pics??

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    No regret whatsoever about PCCB! Only thing is the yellow caliper doesn't match my Guards Red car as well as say a grey or black car.

You are correct: the HRE P40 spokes do come out a little bit further from the tire. But:
    1. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all 3 rims (Champion 171 & 67, and HRE P40) do this. They move OUTWARDS a little bit, a very little bit, before they make that dive towards the middle. In fact this outward bend is what allows the dive to be so dramatic.
    2. The outward bend is subtle. I can't tell if it would be ok for you but it is subtle and "looks" similar between the 67 and the HRE P40. (I did not pay attention to the 171 when I was last at Wheel Enhancement. I'll look next time I am there if you'd like me to; my car is at the port in San Diego so it should be here any time now.)

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

You're welcome, hopefully you feel like you really made the right choice.

One of the things I just noticed on that Grey Turbo Cabrio is it looks like the new HRE monoblock rims are out further than the tires, can't tell for sure but if this is the case then they're not for me. I cant stand it when the rim juts out further than the tire reminds me of a low rider. On the Champion rim there is a flat surface and the tire bulges to the outside more than the rim.

Gregg, I was ready to post my response to the front lip when I saw yours. I couldn't agree more. That wheel is too wide for the tire. As a result the tire doesn't sit right on the rim. Plus, as a visual effect, some wheels create the illusion of a larger fender/wheel gap, which is a turn off for me. These wheels do just that.

Otherwise, they are very nice.

I think the most important factor in the wheel looking good is having the car lowered! Every wheel looks great when the car is an inch lower than stock. They all look just OK when at stock height. I desperately want to lower my turbo but scrape all over at the stock height. Do we need that front lip?

which HRE is on the gt3 rs? this picture is from current SEMA

I see what you mean. I think the camera angle of that picture causes the rim to look more protruded than it does in real life. When I see the wheel in person, if I understand what you are talking about correctly, the rim does not stick out from the tire. I have another picture here that hopefully illustrates this area better. BTW, you could see the incredibly pretty drop at the center of this wheel here--so SENSUAL I kneeled and stared at the thing in broad daylight.

FWIW, the HRE P40 (pictured here) is 11 inches wide, the Champion 171 is actually **the wider one**, at 11.5 inches. I don't know why Champion decides to do that? I wonder this could cause the tire to be stretched out more, leading to a slight reduction in overall diameter. Any wheel expert here?

As far as color of your car on the other thread: My opinion is definitely switch to black if that's what moves you!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Andrea,

That is the HRE that I posted earlier: P43, brother to the P40--both just recently released by HRE.

BTW, I am in love with Italy. It's a beautiful country, the food is great, the people wonderful. My wife and I both think your country is blessed.
    If you have time, check out my pictures at (I am a photography nut):
    http://www.pbase.com/cannga/2005_italy&page=all

Quote:
    andrea said:

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Andrea,

That is the HRE that I posted earlier: P43, brother to the P40--both just recently released by HRE.

BTW, I am in love with Italy. It's a beautiful country, the food is great, the people wonderful. My wife and I both think your country is blessed.

Quote:
    andrea said:

Thanks a lot Cannga!you are very a Rim-fan! You are both an Italian fan,this is very very very good!
    Beautiful landscapes you shoot, Italy is Meravigliosa!!!I know and I'm lucky! But I still have to visit all....

Wow that was a big thread.

In case anyone is still looking for the wheels featured on the RS Spider/Enzo a few pages back, you can find a very similar one from BBS for Manthey in magnesium, quite expensive though, almost 9kUSD for a set.

As always, I put my vote in for BBS wheels, the motorsports items are my favourites, have had 3 sets on my Gt3s

Quote:
    cannga said:
    I see what you mean. I think the camera angle of that picture causes the rim to look more protruded than it does in real life. When I see the wheel in person, if I understand what you are talking about correctly, the rim does not stick out from the tire. I have another picture here that hopefully illustrates this area better. BTW, you could see the incredibly pretty drop at the center of this wheel here--so SENSUAL I kneeled and stared at the thing in broad daylight.

FWIW, the HRE P40 (pictured here) is 11 inches wide, the Champion 171 is actually **the wider one**, at 11.5 inches. I don't know why Champion decides to do that? I wonder this could cause the tire to be stretched out more, leading to a slight reduction in overall diameter. Any wheel expert here?

As far as color of your car on the other thread: My opinion is definitely switch to black if that's what moves you!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

These rims look like they have the proper tire size 305mm, the other one might have had 295mm

Quote:
    cannga said:

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

The prior pic of the 171's close up show a 305 tire and it doesn't look stretched at all so don't think it's an issue but will make sure to ask Champion. See that pic of the HRE looks much better, the tire bulges out further than the rim as it should. The HRE's are still in the running for me, they're probably in 2nd place behind the 171's so I'm definitely still considering them. One of the parts I don't like though is how the spokes terminate on the outer part of the rim. On the 171's there is a flat surface all away around the rim and it looks very neat & clean but the HRE's have a lot of complicated cuts/corners. (plus not a big deal w/ PCCB's but all those areas are going to add a lot to the wheel cleaning time)

Circled the parts I'm referring to.

If you compare to the 171's imo the 171's design is more pleasing to me.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Andrea,

Quote:
    andrea said:

Wow! Can, you take breathtaking pictures. My wife & I were in Italy last Summer, Maranello, Rome, Venice took hundreds of pictures but didn't get any shots like those. Keep saying I'm going to take some photography classes...........

BTW: Took this pic yesterday, these 20" Dynmag's were on a yellow CGT..... Sorry for the terrible quality it's off my phone.

how did they look in person?

Quote:
    rhino said:

10 times better than that picture.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    rhino said:

10 times better than that picture.

Not sure whether I'd trust my life to a carbon wheel...

Not sure whether I'd trust my life to a carbon wheel...

An interesting question....I wonder how they would do if you hit a large pot hole, would the carbon fiber shatter?... while a metal wheel may only bend

Supposedly the Carbon is stronger than metal and resists potholes and the like better than metal on normal impacts. But if the impact is very severe, then the carbon will shatter rather than bend.

Also, be aware that the centers of the Dynamag wheels are metal and only have a Carbon barrel, so they are much more resilient in a heavy impact than a 100% carbon wheel (like used on some motorcycles).

Haha Gregg, you didn't even have to circle anything, I would know exactly what you are talking about already! I thought I was meticulous about wheel design (I even look at such thing as number of spokes--for example to me odd number spoke wheels look more "in motion" than even spoke ones, 5 vs. 6, etc. LOL ); guess I have companion?

Yes you are correct the HRE P40 doesn't have that flat rim at the outer border. I believe they design the rim that way for the following reasons:
    1. The lack of the flat rim allows the spokes to be longer, extending all the way to the edge, thus appearing more slender, less stubby, and perhaps more "elegant."
    2. As a result of 1, such wheel gives the illusion of being bigger than it actually is, mimicking the spoke size of say a 20 inch wheel that is designed with a flat outer ring.

I am enclosing picture of a very nice BBS wheel that is of same design, but with a thick outer rim. As mentioned, this mesh design is probably one of the oldest on earth; it's the slight variations that cause one wheel to look completely different from another.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

One of the parts I don't like though is how the spokes terminate on the outer part of the rim. On the 171's there is a flat surface all away around the rim and it looks very neat & clean but the HRE's have a lot of complicated cuts/corners. (plus not a big deal w/ PCCB's but all those areas are going to add a lot to the wheel cleaning time)

And here is the same mesh (7 fork) design carried out to the other extreme, spokes extending all the way out (not a perfect example because this one has a small outer ring too--I just want to show how much longer the spokes are), on a 20 incher. Here the spokes are so long and nearly parallel they look less mesh-like and become like a simple 7 double spoke design, which IMHO looks more elegant.

Anyway, the Champion 171 appears to be the best/right choice for you. This way the forum will have some variations: Champion 67, 171, and HRE P40 will all be represented.

Thanks. I've been accused of choosing vacation spots based solely on how good the pictures would be (hence multiple trips to Italy). Photography's "golden hours" being about the same time as dinner, I've also gotten in "trouble" with my family once or twice (some of those pictures took a couple hours of waiting for the right light).
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Wow! Can, you take breathtaking pictures. My wife & I were in Italy last Summer, Maranello, Rome, Venice took hundreds of pictures but didn't get any shots like those. Keep saying I'm going to take some photography classes...........

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Haha Gregg, you didn't even have to circle anything, I would know exactly what you are talking about already! I thought I was meticulous about wheel design (I even look at such thing as number of spokes--for example to me odd number spoke wheels look more "in motion" than even spoke ones, 5 vs. 6, etc. LOL ); guess I have companion?

Yes you are correct the HRE P40 doesn't have that flat rim at the outer border. I believe they design the rim that way for the following reasons:
    1. The lack of the flat rim allows the spokes to be longer, extending all the way to the edge, thus appearing more slender, less stubby, and perhaps more "elegant."
    2. As a result of 1, such wheel gives the illusion of being bigger than it actually is, mimicking the spoke size of say a 20 inch wheel that is designed with a flat outer ring.

I am enclosing picture of a very nice BBS wheel that is of same design, but with a thick outer rim. As mentioned, this mesh design is probably one of the oldest on earth; it's the slight variations that cause one wheel to look completely different from another.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

One of the parts I don't like though is how the spokes terminate on the outer part of the rim. On the 171's there is a flat surface all away around the rim and it looks very neat & clean but the HRE's have a lot of complicated cuts/corners. (plus not a big deal w/ PCCB's but all those areas are going to add a lot to the wheel cleaning time)

I know exactly what you mean.
    Also not trying to say I don't like the HRE's because I do,,,,,,,,,,,, just nit picking. IMO it's a really excellent choice. You mentioned a PCCB, Red Turbo right? Coupe I think????? Close or at port? Bet you cant wait to get the car & also to get your wheels. Are you going to stay w/ stock tires?

btw: Since I'm going to change my car to Black from Basalt I'm seriously considering this look below. But imagine how crazy it would look on a Cabrio w/ PCCB's!! I think I may have to do it...Wonder if I should go w/ the 171 in Magnesium like the below or if I can get the 171's painted Black,,does Champion paint wheels?

Back

If you can, go with everything except the rear diffuser and wing. This car in all black looks out of this world!!!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Back

I like rear defiuser too, just wondering does this thing really works on 911?

I actually think its work, but just wondering in what situation.

i think the rear diffuser works but does not look good on the 997...

on the F430, that is a different story...

Quote:
    rhino said:
    If you can, go with everything except the rear defiuser and wing. This car in all black looks out of this world!!!

I agree & I like the front spoiler but it wouldn't stand a chance in my area. So I'm thinking Black Turbo Cab, Black 171's w/ Gold crests (just like the above) & God forbid but also thinking window tint...... I've never been a fan of Gold wheel crests on silver wheels but on black wheels I can't help liking them. Also have always been against window tint but how do you not tint on a black turbo w/ black wheels? Man! the car looks bad ass like that, only thing missin imo is the PCCB's. Plus my black interior is loaded w/ Carbon Fiber & Added black leather (PCM & seatbacks etc.) Plus and exhaust & the CF Werks Airbox.........Plus the front market light needs to be smoked....... I think I'm getting there....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774315 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440027 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261916 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260207 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84764 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879149 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813888 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM