Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The option that should have come from Porsche

Just got my new TechArt steering wheel installed today, this is WAY better than any wheels Porsche has to offered.

Re: The option that should have come from Porsche

Welcome to the club, Nick. I'm glad to hear you like it. Do you mind if I asked where you got it from? Is there a Techart reseller up in Vancouver?

Looks good. How hard was the install?

It's pretty easy from what I could see. Push out the airbag module using two "holes" on the back. Use a large torx screw to remove the center bolt holding the steering wheel on and then it comes right off. Reverse the procedure to reinstall.

Bingo, just don't forget the battery when going near the airbag module (and when placing it on a metal surface).

Pop

TechArt price list shows this wheel at $2150 plus core. Wow.

Prices went up recently because of the devaluation of the US dollar. There are several versions with the most expensive one being the leather/CF version.

Ordered it thru Weissach Performance Inc.here in Vancouver, they are the TechArt dealer here in addition to being a Lambo and Lotus dealer. Took the tech all of 15 mins to switch out the factory one for the TA one. No charge to me, but then again they have already took my 2 grand for the wheel.

Was that $2000 with the core swap? I got a $600 credit for that.

No, my total was $2200CAD for the wheel, if I had wanted the stock wheel back the core charge for Canadian is $1200CAD !!!! Guess people like screwing Canadians.

Looks good and it $hould.

Just wondering if you checked Porsche salvage yards and found anything.

IOW has the 997 been around long enough and - sadly - crashed in sufficient numbers to well stock such "yards?"

Bite your finger, Mr. MMD! Don't even speak of the 997 in that manner!

That wheel is really nice - much better than all the other aftermarket stuff. But 2 grand

I think about getting this one:

Does anybody know, if you can change the tiptronic paddles to it?

Quote:
    haudimal said:
    That wheel is really nice - much better than all the other aftermarket stuff. But 2 grand

I think about getting this one:

Does anybody know, if you can change the tiptronic paddles to it?

I believe they also sell Tiptronic versions.

Techart has always been overpriced but I absolutely loved their steering wheel and had to get it. It's one of my favorite part in my 997TT.

$2000 for a steering wheel!
    Do you get a handjob or reach around to go along with the rape?

I'm planning on getting the steering wheel atomic80 has.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Bite your finger, Mr. MMD! Don't even speak of the 997 in that manner!

Yeah..., very sad to see these beauties smashed up.

OTOH I found it very funny that Porsche decided to make a selling point in the sales brochures about how these cars are fully recycleable! What a _great_ additional reason to spend us$100K on one, right? I guess it would be a useful point to make while trying to convince an eco-friendly-orienated wife that you should buy one. LOL

Quote:
    PandaMan said:

I Have one. Love it

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Techart has always been overpriced but I absolutely loved their steering wheel and had to get it. It's one of my favorite part in my 997TT.

Could you let me know which of the Porsche steering wheel you're comparing the Techart to?

I'm not a fan of the part leather, part cf/wood/al/etc, wheels but I've always thought the 'thicker' 3 spoke one Porsche offers would be rather nice. Is the Techart one, in your opinion, better still?

I'm really fussy about this sort of thing but sadly I don't readily have the opportunity to check out the Techart stuff but on the other hand, the thicker wheel from Porsche is rather pricey... humm...

Cheers,

C

Quote:
    PandaMan said:

Talk to Stuart at Weissach,he will hook you up.

Quote:
    x838nwy said:

Could you let me know which of the Porsche steering wheel you're comparing the Techart to?

I'm not a fan of the part leather, part cf/wood/al/etc, wheels but I've always thought the 'thicker' 3 spoke one Porsche offers would be rather nice. Is the Techart one, in your opinion, better still?

I'm really fussy about this sort of thing but sadly I don't readily have the opportunity to check out the Techart stuff but on the other hand, the thicker wheel from Porsche is rather pricey... humm...

Cheers,

C

The TechArt one is even thicker than the 'thick' wheel from Porsche, plus it got the perfolated leather part which imo provides a better feel when you hold the wheel. In addition to a thinker wrap, TA also re-contour the whole wheel and I have to say it's night and day difference when compared with ANY of the Porsche wheel offerrings.

I was struggling between ordering the cf/leather one like Atomic80's or a full leather one, I LOVED the cf part with goes with my cf trims but in the end I prefer the all leather for a more consistant feel all around the wheel.

Jason has started this TechArt wheel trend, and now we are all getting one

^ thanks dude!

I'll certainly check it out more seriously

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    PandaMan said:

Talk to Stuart at Weissach,he will hook you up.

Quote:
    x838nwy said:

Cheers,

C

The TechArt one is even thicker than the 'thick' wheel from Porsche, plus it got the perfolated leather part which imo provides a better feel when you hold the wheel. In addition to a thinker wrap, TA also re-contour the whole wheel and I have to say it's night and day difference when compared with ANY of the Porsche wheel offerrings.

I was struggling between ordering the cf/leather one like Atomic80's or a full leather one, I LOVED the cf part with goes with my cf trims but in the end I prefer the all leather for a more consistant feel all around the wheel.

Jason has started this TechArt wheel trend, and now we are all getting one

Jason - Get your commission yet???

Hah! Nah...I'm not working on commission here. I'm just one of the boys!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Hah! Nah...I'm not working on commission here. I'm just one of the boys!

I'll put in a good word for you when I order mine. Maybe they will send you a hat. LOL

If Jason can get commission on these sales and collect royalties on his car pics, I think by now he would have enough to get not one but 2 GT2s

Iono I proboly will call around the states and see if I can get a better deal down south.

Atomic you know any good shops in seattle that could order and put the steering wheel on?

I'm not sure if you'd be able to get a much better deal down here but you're definitely welcome to try. Try www.benchmarkmotoring.com. When you call, ask for Derek Terada and tell him I sent you. He'll be able to help you get the wheel ordered and installed in your car.

Thanks atomic I will call them.

If its not a daft question why do people want a really fat steering wheel? It looks like something out of a 1980's Rover MG Maestro or something.

Do you have really HUGE hands?

You know what they say about people with big hands.... So is this just a ploy to dispel the common porsche myth too. "No, no, look its not true at all - I have enormous hands, so big I need a super fat steering wheel - so I cant possibly be small in the trouser dept!"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777798 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441928 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262882 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261111 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85369 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880784 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816292 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM