Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Which team will Alonso move to?

So now the big question is which team Alonso will move to? Will he move under a clean break or will it be some kind of driver swap? What do you think his chances may be for next year? Will he ever win the title again as a result of this?

Re: Which team will Alonso move to?

I don't know, maybe Dennis will make him stay at McLaren as a 2nd driver to help the new world Champion to win the title again or maybe he will come back to Renault, but he said that the French team is not his first option.....maybe NASCAR is his first option?

Surely with the fines this year, McLaren will have to impliment some major pay cuts to the drivers next year?!

I would have thought Alonso would be running for the door if that was the case...

He has a contract with McLaren - test driver in 2008?

Well, I know which team _should_ and _could_ acquire his services for 2008 and beyond.

Toyota has deep enough pockets to pay McLaren to have Alonso. Afterall, it won't be that much more than what they've been paying Ralf all these years and getting precisely nothing in return.

Alonso has enough experience of top-level racing and has the speed to get them results even if the first season or two are spent developing the car.

They might be a bit bureaucratic there, but I have a feeling he'd get the no.1 status he sorely needs at McLaren.

Quote:
    cgt said:

Good idea

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    cgt said:

Good idea

At least he knows how to develop a car, unlike the youngest F1 World Champion ever.

Alonso IS the youngest F1 Champion ever!

Quote:
    cgt said:

It isn't Hamiton?

What is more interesting to me: will Alonso pay 50 mil. USD to have the permission to leave McLaren? (not him personally; I mean will he collect the money from sponsors?)

At least that's what I've heard the deal with Ron Dennis was ...

Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    cgt said:

It isn't Hamiton?

What planet are you living on.......

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    cgt said:

It isn't Hamiton?

What planet are you living on.......

I'm reading a Hamilton biography and it says he is this season WDC and last week I checked some British newspapers and he was already the WDC

Alonso, for his legion of UK fans who never accepted him and for Ron Dennis who didnt hide his bias for Hamilton,.. should just stay at Mclaren.

If McLaren is so dumb as to want to lose a driver of Alonso's caliber..they should PAY him to leave.

What other arrogant prima donna diva F1 jockey would they replace him with? Nakajima?

Next year doesnt matter really for McLaren. They have shown that with reliable cars, good drivers and even the stolen secret 771 page technical and performance bible of their main enemy that they cant win or run a team right.

They have team managment and racing strategy issues.

Maybe McLaren execs should need gaze at the SLR in their lobby or contemplate their navels under a Banyon tree in India for a few weeks.

Getting away from all the silly comments, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Red Bull. They have Renault engines, have money behind them, have a car which is coming good and would definitely benefit from Alonso's expertise.

Also, we should not ignore commercial considerations. Sponsors determine much of what goes on and who goes where. Sadly, outside of Spain, Alonso does not seem to be very marketable any more. The boos when he was on the podium yesterday were very evident, and for any potential team they will have to weigh up if they can get their money's worth in promotional opportunities. I think probably not.

But if he shuts his mouth and focuses on the job Alonso is a top-notch driver and car developer and I think he could do amazing things with Red Bull..

I see it hard to imagine how he can stay at McLaren after all that has been said recently. And the reality is despite what Alonso fans will say, and forgetting all the silly conspiracy theories, on pure pace LH definitely had the greater speed this season. I dont think Alonso will risk being beaten by him for a second consecutive season.

But then again, stranger things have happened in F1..

In tandem, Alonso and Hamilton are very marketable. They are the new frick and frat losers of F1! They had every advantage! If McLaren wants more people to be fans of their
    cant win at any price team they need public controversy to keep eyes on them. Hamilton alone cant do it. He needs a fall guy/black hat buffer to prop him up a bit.

Alonso should speak out even more!

Look who he is working with for gawdsakes!

Quote:
    cgt said:
    Getting away from all the silly comments, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Red Bull. They have Renault engines, have money behind them, have a car which is coming good and would definitely benefit from Alonso's expertise.

Also, we should not ignore commercial considerations. Sponsors determine much of what goes on and who goes where. Sadly, outside of Spain, Alonso does not seem to be very marketable any more. The boos when he was on the podium yesterday were very evident, and for any potential team they will have to weigh up if they can get their money's worth in promotional opportunities. I think probably not.

But if he shuts his mouth and focuses on the job Alonso is a top-notch driver and car developer and I think he could do amazing things with Red Bull..

I see it hard to imagine how he can stay at McLaren after all that has been said recently. And the reality is despite what Alonso fans will say, and forgetting all the silly conspiracy theories, on pure pace LH definitely had the greater speed this season. I dont think Alonso will risk being beaten by him for a second consecutive season.

But then again, stranger things have happened in F1..

The problem is that Red Bull (and STR) already have a whole bunch of good drivers. DC and Mark Webber are both experienced and can develop cars. They have Vettel and (next year) Boudrais who might both turn out to be surprises next year. A lot of people think DC is a bit passed it, but let's not forget they have Adrian Newey (arguably the most successful engineer in F1 ever) who developed some of his finest cars while DC was in the same team as him.

Boudrais, imo, could be really quite quick and Vettel we've seen to have lots of potential. If they get hold of Alonso, they're going to be in a position where they don't have enough seats for drivers.

By the looks of things, Red Bull looks more and more like they're really trying to build a team rather than just be a badge. Personally, I don't think it'd be in their best interest to have a single 'star' driver in the midst of all that...

I'm not sure if or where Alonso is moving next year but I know that whichever team he'll go to is going to benefit a great deal from his inputs. After the departure of Schumacher, Alonso has become the most technical driver in F1 today and his expertise in this field will be missed at McLaren.

I only see two paths for Alonso. He either stays at Mclaren or returns to Renault. Despite the in house drama that has been going on Ron needs Alonso. Especially if he wants to beat Ferrari next year. Hamilton can't do the battling on his on, he needs someone just as good accompanying him.

Who cares where Alonso goes, as long as he goes!!

What good is a 2nd driver if they are going to contribute to the FIA disqualifying the team each season?! If it was a crash-test-dummy driving instead of Alonso then McLaren would have ended the season with more than 0 points!

Shame that Button has ruled himself out of a seat at McLaren. That would have been awesome.

I dont really care where Alonso will go, more important is who will race in McLaren next year...

I think McLaren needs someone with good tehnical knowledge, experiences, dont need to be very fast and will play second driver role. Raikkonen would never win without Massa`s help. Dont forget Fuji, because of team orders Raikkonen gained one place - 2 points and without them he wouldnt be champion. Yesterday he gained another 2 points because Massa gave him first place.

David Coulthard would be very good choice, but sadly he has contract with Red Bull. But Red Bull has Renault`s engines and they could trade Alonso for Coulthard

Quote:
    cgt said:

Also, Alonso might get quicker if he drank his regular dose of Red Bull

I just get the feeling that next year Red Bull are really going to step their game up. Adrian Newey hinted as much in a recent interview and when that man speaks, he usually knows what he is talking about. Alonso would be the final link in the chain for them.

Quote:
    Shakal said:
    David Coulthard would be very good choice, but sadly he has contract with Red Bull. But Red Bull has Renault`s engines and they could trade Alonso for Coulthard

Actually, I agree.
    I have always liked DC, his personality and driving skills. He just hasnt been that super-talent that everyone sees as the best thing since sliced bread.
    He is usually very reliable, and with the right equipement he might be a great partner for Hamilton.
    Another driver who has been left in the dark is Barrichello. WTF happened to that guy's carreer? Honda has flushed it down the toilet.
    He went from top driver in 2006(5?) to zero points this season.
    Get him back in a McL or similar, and Im sure he will be a great asset to any team.
    As for Massa, I dont see him as anything but the assistant to Kimi - so perhaps his best chance would be to move? Red Bull or STR?

Alonso will go to Renault. No doubt in my mind.
    He cant stay at McL. Its simply not an option, and I dont believe it has anything to do with Hamilton or his chances of winning next season.
    It has everything to do with the mentalities of him and the McL team. They just dont mix.

Alex, are you from UK? yes, it obvious you are. Look Alonso is a great driver. Hamilton is also a great pilot but he is too young and too arrogant, but still a great driver also. But fernando is world champion for two consecutive years. And it seems that people like you can not accept this fact. Maybe it is because he is from Spain, or may it because Bank of Santander bought Abbey some years ago. The fact is that Maclaren lost the world title because of Mr. Dennis did an awful job. What a stupid arrogant guy. The title was in his hands and now he has nothing. Well his company has 100 Million US$ less, less the money they should have got for winning, less he money that sponsors like Vodafone or Bank of Santander should have paid for 1st palce. What a DONKEY.... Mercedes BENZ SHOULD FIRE HIM RIGHT NOW

I don't think DC would want to come back to McLaren after the way Dennis treated him. He is a much happy person after his departure from McLaren.

Anyway, I don't know why the driver that would go to McLaren (if Alonso leaves) have to be the 2nd driver behind Hamilton. Where is the equality? Why does Hamilton deserve the n*1 status after the way he has lost the Championship in the last two races? Only because he is Dennis' iligetimate son?

Quote:
    gangajas said:
    I don't think DC would want to come back to McLaren after the way Dennis treated him. He is a much happy person after his departure from McLaren.

Anyway, I don't know why the driver that would go to McLaren (if Alonso leaves) have to be the 2nd driver behind Hamilton. Where is the equality? Why does Hamilton deserve the n*1 status after the way he has lost the Championship in the last two races? Only because he is Dennis' iligetimate son?

Frankly, Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen are all a bit similar. None of them really deserves the title... Hamilton is the most talented - still he screwed it. Alonso has limited talent (Hamilton beat him way too often). And Raikkonen... Middle class driver. Finally, Massa donated the title to him. The title for Raikkonen was pure luck. In essence, there is no true leader, not a dominating driver any more. Hamilton is the only of them who might have the talent in the mid-term. In essence, no Schumacher in sight as per today

Quote:
    gangajas said:

Because with same team support as Raikkonen had, Hamilton would win championship.

And dont blame Hamilton for everything, he had a lot of bad luck this year - 2× tyre fault, in China I dont know why they didnt call him on pit stop and gear box problem on last race. Without one bad luck - for example in Turkey where he lost 3rd place because of tyre explosion, he would be world champion. He did awesome job for his rookie year.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:

Frankly, Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen are all a bit similar. None of them really deserves the title... Hamilton is the most talented - still he screwed it. Alonso has limited talent (Hamilton beat him way too often). And Raikkonen... Middle class driver. Finally, Massa donated the title to him. The title for Raikkonen was pure luck. In essence, there is no true leader, not a dominating driver any more. Hamilton is the only of them who might have the talent in the mid-term. In essence, no Schumacher in sight as per today

Raikkonen and Alonso have a much consistent race pace than Hamilton under normal circunstances. And to say that a driver who beat Schumacher twice with a Renault and other who is a extremely fast driver and have won a WDC have no talent is excessive and wrong imho.

Also this year Alonso and Kimi have had to adapt to the new tires (quite similar to those used in GP2) that were crap in terms of grip, and that has been a problem for them.

Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:

Because with same team support as Raikkonen had, Hamilton would win championship.

And dont blame Hamilton for everything, he had a lot of bad luck this year - 2× tyre fault, in China I dont know why they didnt call him on pit stop and gear box problem on last race. Without one bad luck - for example in Turkey where he lost 3rd place because of tyre explosion, he would be world champion. He did awesome job for his rookie year.

The same can be said about Alonso (a 2 WDC, you seem to forget that way to easily). If the team would have left him overtake Hamilton at Indy or if A.Hamliton wouldn't have complained to the FIA at Hungaroring he would have won the championship. And I'm not the only one who say this, Prost said the same a week ago, if they had given the n*1 status to Alonso they'd have won the title before the last race.

But that is Dennis' problem not Kimi's fault so don't try to devaluate his victory.

Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:

The same can be said about Alonso (a 2 WDC, you seem to forget that way to easily). If the team would have left him overtake Hamilton at Indy or if A.Hamliton wouldn't have complained to the FIA at Hungaroring he would have won the championship. And I'm not the only one who say this, Prost said the same a week ago, if they had given the n*1 status to Alonso they'd have won the title before the last race.

But that is Dennis' problem not Kimi's fault so don't try to devaluate his victory.

AGREE 100%

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777045 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441647 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262752 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260916 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85169 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5551 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880618 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815833 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM