Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

911 Quality - JD Power

Well, there is nothing more to add.
    http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/pvs/PowerVehicleSelector.jsp

Choose "I know what I want", then "Porsche" as Manufacturer and "911" as Model. Then choose NEXT.

Re: 911 Quality - JD Power

Christian,

The link doesn't seem to work. Can you try again?

Dain

Quote:
    Carrageous said:
    Christian,

The link doesn't seem to work. Can you try again?

Dain

A direct link doesn't seem to work, so I changed my initial post. Sorry.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Well, there is nothing more to add.
    http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/pvs/PowerVehicleSelector.jsp

Choose "I know what I want", then "Porsche" as Manufacturer and "911" as Model. Then choose NEXT.

Ouch - I just tried it for Cayenne 911 marks are great though - why no Boxster?

how come the cayenne has such crappy ratings

Quote:
    TopherV said:

Have a look at the Cayenne forum for a sample of any number of annoying niggles. The Turbo in particular is an engineering triumph, but all owners I know have had the car at the dealer two to three times within the first few months for problems with mirrors, PCM, tailgate closing mechanism, rear hatch lock etc etc.

Quote:
    TopherV said:

Just because it's new and problems are still being worked out. The 996 is 5 years old now.

Dain

Quote:
    TopherV said:

1. recalls
    2. first cars had some quality issues

I own a Cayenne Turbo since the beginning of April, I already put more than 7200 km on it, mostly city but also some pretty hard country road and high speed Autobahn driving.
    Til now I only had one problem: the micro switch of the rear window (rear hatch window) lock broke and had to be replaced. Apparently this is a pretty common problem and I wonder why it hasn't been already fixed by the supplier.
    Otherwise, no quality issues at all, I'm a happy owner.

"Til now I only had one problem: the micro switch of the rear window"

Didn't you start this thread:

News regarding my throttle/shifting delay "problem"?
    #34692 - Fri May 28 2004 12:05 AM

Quote:
    ben, lj said:

"Problem" doesn't mean problem.
    I was talking about quality issues, the throttle/shifting delay is something which has to do with the general setup of the Cayenne and most customers don't even notice it.
    Porsche argues that this is no problem but done by purpose.

"the general setup of the Cayenne and most customers don't even notice it."

is that what your survey/reply request revealed? it seems like a fairly common "problem" to those of us who "drive" the cayenne. of course you are right about "most" customers not even noticing it since "most" of them are badge buyers.

does your remote control work flawlessly? ours (both of them) requires all kinds of pointing different directions (front/rear, etc) and still often requires using the key instead just to get in or lock it. does yours have the often mentioned loud windnoise from the drivers window above 35 mph? does yours have the often mentioned steering wheel vibration at about 60 mph? unfortunately, ours has all these, and service confirmed it's all normal for the Cayenne.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

"Problem" doesn't mean problem.
    I was talking about quality issues, the throttle/shifting delay is something which has to do with the general setup of the Cayenne and most customers don't even notice it.
    Porsche argues that this is no problem but done by purpose.

'Problem doesn't mean problem" RC I have to give you credit; you will back Porsche to the cows come home. My Cayenne is in so often that my dealer is giving me a time card to punch in just like the rest of the employee's.

BTW, my same dealer apparently is beginning to build some inventory of Cayenne's. They are advertising heavily the number of Cayenne TT's and C's available for immediate delivery.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    My Cayenne is in so often that my dealer is giving me a time card to punch in just like the rest of the employee's.

One subtle difference, Nick.

He's paying his employees to come in, and paying you for staying away!

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    does your remote control work flawlessly? ours (both of them) requires all kinds of pointing different directions (front/rear, etc) and still often requires using the key instead just to get in or lock it.

Ben,

Sometimes keyless remote systems can be a real pain when the car is located near some VHF paging transmitters. The second harmonic of the 156 MHz hi-power transmitters plays tricks on 315 MHz keyless entry receivers, rendering them nearly deaf to legitimate signals.

I had a BMW 740iL that I could rarely open with the remote when it was parked in a certain lot. I traced the problem to a near-by paging transmitter site.

Interestingly, my Lexus LX470 doesn't suffer from the problem, even when parked in the same lot.

I think it's the quality of the keyless remote receiver in the vehicle that does this.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    My Cayenne is in so often that my dealer is giving me a time card to punch in just like the rest of the employee's.

One subtle difference, Nick.

He's paying his employees to come in, and paying you for staying away!

That is good...real good. Actually I am very well liked by the service people. I am charming, handsome ( just ask me), friendly and patient. As a matter of fact, I compliment them on a regular basis. Sadly, my Cayenne refuses to cooperate.

My key fob does not have any memory. I have to set it each time I get into the car. I understand it is a common problem. My engine light remains on regardless of how often they service the problem.

RC, if Porsche believes the lurching/shifting problem is the way the car should run then I am certain they will not have many repeat buyers.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    is that what your survey/reply request revealed? it seems like a fairly common "problem" to those of us who "drive" the cayenne. of course you are right about "most" customers not even noticing it since "most" of them are badge buyers.

does your remote control work flawlessly? ours (both of them) requires all kinds of pointing different directions (front/rear, etc) and still often requires using the key instead just to get in or lock it. does yours have the often mentioned loud windnoise from the drivers window above 35 mph? does yours have the often mentioned steering wheel vibration at about 60 mph? unfortunately, ours has all these, and service confirmed it's all normal for the Cayenne.

Of course some people (like me) made complaints about the throttle/shifting response but according to a source at Porsche, only 2-3% seem to dislike this setup.
    For 2-3%, they can't offer a solution because it would require some sort of re-certification of emissions, etc.
    There will be an improvement with the next Cayenne generation, all complaints are taken serious.
    Bad for me, bad for others but we had a similar thing regarding the 996 clutch on early cars. A lot of customers had trouble to use it, similar complaints like on the CGT clutch.
    I also agree about "badge" buyers but I also met several Cayenne owners at my dealer who were surprised to hear my complaint and I always have to listen to the same comment over and over again: the Cayenne is no sportscar, what do you expect. Well, I got used to it.

Regarding the remote key: it failed one time only and it happened when a street worker in Austria near my car (around 5 meters) was controlling a small crane on a truck by a wireless remote control. It was a huge thing he held in his hands, almost as big and bulky as one of the old VCRs.
    I was pretty desperate because I didn't understand what is happening and I forgot that I can unlock it "manually" too.
    I've been told that this is a kind of protection to shut down the remote when there is a strong signal on a similar frequency to avoid interference or serious problems.
    Maybe your cellular phone is the problem, maybe the amateur radio guy next door, maybe a wireless alarm system, maybe...

Regarding wind noise: no, no wind noise. I can even still talk to my wife at 280 kph on the speedo.
    No vibration either, might be the well known cardan shaft problem or a tire problem.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Cayenne, sorry to disappoint you. And it is no secret that there have been certain problems during the first model year and even half of the second one. This is nothing special and pretty common for a new model. And it is nothing your local Porsche dealer can't fix...unless he doesn't care or he's just dumb.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    My key fob does not have any memory. I have to set it each time I get into the car. I understand it is a common problem. My engine light remains on regardless of how often they service the problem.

RC, if Porsche believes the lurching/shifting problem is the way the car should run then I am certain they will not have many repeat buyers.

Regarding the memory thing, your dealer should be able to fix it. He isn't able to do it? Well, not Porsche's fault. Yes, this was(not is) a common problem on the Cayenne.
    Regarding the lurching, it is fixed. And surprise, surprise...the lurching issue actually led to the more delaying throttle/shifting response. And guess again who reported the lurching problem...mainly US customers who didn't expect such an aggressive setup from a truck.
    So Porsche did a DME remapping on the Cayenne S to avoid it.
    To my knowledge, the Turbo never had the lurching problem, there was quite a misunderstanding regarding lurching and the throttle/shifting delay but I guess GM Austin explained the difference pretty well.
    The Cayenne Turbo shifting/throttle setup has been adapted to customer demand, mainly customers who tow and do off-roading. As I said before, the estimate is 2-3% customers like us who made complaints. And it can't be excluded, that a lot of people who made complaints on the internet actually made it after they heard about this thing on the net. Before that, they were happy owners.

Of course the Cayenne isn't perfect but compared to some other cars we owned (incl. my first 996 C2), it has a pretty good quality. So far, there was no serious problem with my Cayenne and the throttle/shifting delay, as annoying it might sometimes be for me, doesn't seem to be an issue to most buyers.

When the Cayenne showed up, I was one of the biggest critics, especially because I didn't like the design (and still have problems with it), I didn't like the weight (ouch ) and I was afraid the Cayenne could take away customers from the 911 (which surely happened but Porsche wouldn't admit it ).

Now, after two years, I think that the Cayenne wasn't only a clever marketing thing but a product Porsche put a lot of work and soul in it. It is sad that they rely too much on VW suppliers (sad but true ) and it isn't a secret that all recalls and other common problems like the cardan shaft or micro switch were related to crappy supplier quality.
    Of course this is no excuse but I watched how dramatically quality improved on the 996 and the same thing seems to happen with the Cayenne, only faster (probably because suppliers are afraid to loose the huge Cayenne market which has grown much faster than many people expected).

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Sadly, my Cayenne refuses to cooperate.

RC,

Now you finally have proof that Porsche monitors and reacts to rennteam.com! And, contrary to what you might expect, they have a subtle sense of humor.

Or could you imagine a more subtle way of avenging yourself on Nick for his unremitting anti-Porsche rants?

Hey Mike. Sadly, it happens everywhere - including the dealership.

"Now you finally have proof that Porsche monitors and reacts to rennteam.com! "

LOL

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Or could you imagine a more subtle way of avenging yourself on Nick for his unremitting anti-Porsche rants?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    BTW, my same dealer apparently is beginning to build some inventory of Cayenne's. They are advertising heavily the number of Cayenne TT's and C's available for immediate delivery.

If this is intended as a "hint" that the Cayenne doesn't sell, read this:
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=39354&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
    Maybe dealers just expect a high demand over the next few months?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=39354&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

That was just Nick's contribution towards "enhancing" the depreciation of his wife's Cayenne.

I don't think People should take JD Power so seriously. They rated the Ford Mustang pretty high too. I think their suvery is just as accurate as the Pesidental election poll.

Quote:

i'm not too sure about the long-term success of the cayenne either. "sold" in PAG controlling lingo maybe means "sold to the dealer lot", not sold to the customer.

Quote:
    zzboba said:

i'm not too sure about the long-term success of the cayenne either. "sold" in PAG controlling lingo maybe means "sold to the dealer lot", not sold to the customer.

The long term success depends solely on Porsche's ability to differentiate the Cayenne much more from the Touareg.
    The quality issues in the first year and the second half of second year of production were not development issues but supplier issues. I think Porsche has their traditional suppliers for the 911/Boxster pretty good under control and the fact that Porsche has chosen Aisin for the new 997 gearbox shows that they really care about supplier quality. To my knowledge, the Cayenne 6-speed Tiptronic made by Aisin proved to be bullet-proof and Porsche seems very satisfied with quality.
    No wonder, Aisin is specialized on heavy-duty stuff.

Regarding production numbers: Porsche doesn't raise production by more than 100% if they don't have a market for these cars. My dealer for example seems to sell mainly V6 and this might be an indication that a lot of people are buying the "badge" only (like Nick said) but who cares? Selling more Cayenne results in lower production cost = increasing profits.
    I'm just a little bit worried about what Wiedeking said regarding lowering production cost. I know that some suppliers (not neccesarily Porsche suppliers) are fighting with their survival and it sounds impossible to me to lower production cost (through lower supplier prices maybe?) without the risk of a lower quality level.
    And furthermore: Porsche hired a lot of new employees, this is always a sign for high demand.
    Regarding the US and the showroom cars: people in the US love to walk inside a showroom and drive out in their new car.
    Waiting 6 months for a "truck" isn't always fun.
    So I guess we'll see it more and more happen that dealers put a few cars in their stock, especially large dealers in the US but also large dealers in other places like Germany.

I also think that Porsche customers are willing to pay a price for Porsche cars if the quality is right. However I have to admit that paying over 8000 Dollar or more than 7500 Euro for the PCCB on the new 997 is a little bit...exaggerated.
    The PCCB brake might sell well if the price drops below the "magic" 5000 but at the current price level, I don't know if I'd order it. The new generation really seems to be much better regarding durability, braking distance and brake fell but this has to be proven yet to me in a real road test.
    Same applies to the upcoming E81 (Cayenne Turbo Powerkit). The estimated list price is around 15000 Euro (incl. german tax) on a new car, this is shocking! I don't know how Porsche justifies this price tag but as soon as the E81 hits the roads, I'll try to find out if the technical difference is worth it.
    Look at X50 (996 Turbo Powerkit): same gearbox but 6th gear modified (actually no cost increase, both gearboxes cost the same in the parts catalogue), larger turbo chargers (I don't have a price tag but maybe a 15-20% price increase), larger intercoolers (they were actually cheaper than the Turbo intercoolers at the time I retrofitted them on my former 996 Turbo), the different exhaust system (which actually had a similar price tag in the parts catalogue) and of course the modified motronic with a different software.
    Overall, additional hardware cost for Porsche should be in the 1000 Euro range, at max. How much does X50 cost?
    OK, there is cost for certifying, etc. but does it really justify the X50 price tag? I doubt it.

So yes, there is enough room for improvements regarding option prices and sometimes maybe even regarding quality.
    But overall I think that Porsche does a pretty good job lately.

BTW: you own a GT3RS, did you have any problems with your car or any complaints? If so, please report.

Quote:
    I'm just a little bit worried about what Wiedeking said regarding lowering production cost. I know that some suppliers (not neccesarily Porsche suppliers) are fighting with their survival and it sounds impossible to me to lower production cost (through lower supplier prices maybe?) without the risk of a lower quality level.

right. wiedeking should know this. i've read somewhere that he now wants to make suppliers who delivered shabby parts public -- but is this the solution? to destroy them?

he should think about his own clients -- porsche customers are paying a premium to get better quality than with a car from a competing manufacturer. there's always a price for quality.

Quote:
    Regarding the US and the showroom cars: people in the US love to walk inside a showroom and drive out in their new car.
    Waiting 6 months for a "truck" isn't always fun.

well, good point. this even seems to change in germany, some years ago people have been willing to wait 3 or 4 years for e.g. a SLK... they wouldn't nowadays IMO.

Quote:

BTW: you own a GT3RS, did you have any problems with your car or any complaints? If so, please report

no, not at all. this car is just brilliant. rock solid and performance above all.

but my (aftermarket) cargraphic exhaust lost a screw lately... it was so extremely loud, i wonder if luigi would have liked it the passers-by on the street surely didn't...

JD Power quality surveys are BS. As they are statistically NON SIGNIFICANT.

Porsche will sell this year (fiscal 03/04) around 10,000 911s in the US. Let's assume JD Power will send a survey card to 1/4 of buyers (i.e. 2,500) which is by the way exceptionally high. If you then assume, they have a return rate of 5% which is EXTREMELY high as well, normally mailings have a return rate of 1% and if they are very well targeted you can go up to 2-3% ... they will get 125 answers !!!! not much to make a RELIABLE statistic. I firmly believe, they are likely to base the statistic on less than 100 answers !!!!
    You also have to assume that people who are answering aren't biased. Normally if you're happy with your car, you just trash the survey card .... on the other hand, if you're unhappy, it's a good way to express your resentment.

Just another point on Porsche sales. When Porsche AG is talking about sales, it's sales to dealers and not sales to final customers.
    It's however very interesting to realize that inventories are down for the 911 and the Boxster and flat for the Cayenne.

For example, Boxster registrations in Europe and NA amounted to 10,790 (-15%) while worldwide sales to dealers reached 10,490 (-34%) over the same period of time. Normally NA+Europe sales account for 90% of Boxster sales.

The same basically goes for the 911, for the Cayenne, registrations and sales (to dealers) are more or less the same.

You also have to keep in mind there is a major difference between Europe and NA. In NA, it's a PUSH market, dealers are selling what they have on the parking lot. Customers aren't willing to wait to get a car. In Europe, it's a PULL market, when you go to a dealer to buy a car, you don't expect to drive away with your car. You place an order, you wait a bit (few weeks) then you take delivery of your new baby.

As a result, in the US, you must have a huge inventory and offer incentives to customers .... in order to sell cars. In Europe, dealers have very few cars on their parking lots and they offer less incentives because the car is built-to-order. They don't have to convince you to buy the white car sitting on the lot outside while you were dreaming of a pink one with green interior!!!!

Great post as usual Eric

Thanks

You're very welcome

EricAlain,

A very interesting insight into how some market study results come about. Thanks.

"There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752837 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430494 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258476 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255408 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868089 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801666 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM