Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What does Mercedes Benz think of Alonso?

I think one key thing that has been overlooked with all the discussions recently is what Mercedes and their board makes of Alonso. With the money Mercedes has tied up in marketing and worldwide promotion through F1, it clearly has been detrimental to their brand this year with all the bickering. Certainly not the image they would wish to project.

It's interesting how Mercedes made a statement after the Stepneygate verdict in support of McLaren and re-affirming their commitment to the team.

I think ultimately Alonso's fate, champion or not, will have been decided long ago by the real powers that be in Stuttgart. I also wonder how Max Mosley's behaviour will have gone down at Mercedes.

Re: What does Mercedes Benz think of Alonso?

You brought up a viable issue. To me, it shows in an extraordinary manner who dependent even the best drivers are on the support and sympathy of their financiers.

On the other hand it seems remarkable that C. Goshn secured Alonso's salary for the upcoming seasons, despite the company's very cost-efficient route they take.

The fact that Ferrari considered Alonso as an option is often overlooked but shows the appreciation he receives in the business. Still...

I do recall some media reports recently that Ghosn was unwilling to come up with more money and Flavio then went to ING and other big sponsors for more support to raise the necessary money.

@cgt: you've raised a really important issue that I haven't heard anyone else talk about

Since the long term contract to supply engines to McLaren is not going to change, if Mercedes is unhappy with negative publicity, then something has to give at the other end....I too find it inconceivable, now that you mention it, that Mercedes would want this intra-team infighting to persist much longer. The bad apple, no matter how amazing he may be on the track, will have to be jettisoned or he may risk bringing the whole thing down.

Driver rivalry, even if intense, is one thing, tearing the team apart and threatening its very existence through FIA punishment is way beyond what is acceptable.

MB spends hundreds of millions of Euros each year on McLaren. It's too much money for them to just sit back and watch the internecine warfare...

As for Renault, I can't imagine they would suddenly 'find' enough money to pay Alonso the kind of money McLaren have been paying him - after all, insufficient money was the main reason why Alonso moved away from Renault in the first place (remember, Alonso kept saying back then that he had to "secure his future") - so I see Alonso taking a pay cut in order to remain on the grid next season...

So he'll have to part with his SLR and go back to driving a Renault Megane Scenic

The only thing Mercedes cares about is victories...2007 "8", in 2006 "0"!!
    The personality of the drivers is not an issue, but cheating by the team can tarnish them.

Quote:
    cgt said:
    [...] Flavio then went to ING and other big sponsors for more support to raise the necessary money.

Interesting. This was ING's first season as a F1 team sponsor. Clearly their internal marketing dept will be very keen to show how successful their F1 advertising campaign has been so it should be possible to squeeze more money out of them.

But ING is a cost-conscious, tightly-run Dutch business so it might not be possible to squeeze too much money out of them. Certainly one of the reasons why ING has failed in its investment banking plans (when it bought the collapsed Barings Bros) is because they aren't prepared to invest enough money to make it a success.

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    The personality of the drivers is not an issue, but cheating by the team can tarnish them.

With respect, I disagree. A company such as Mercedes spends a HUGE amount of money on marketing and building their brand. This is intrinsically linked to their drivers, who are the main public face of the brand. For them to be in the tabloids every day surrounded by negative publicity can in no way be considered a good thing in Stuttgart.

Especially so in the case of Mercedes, who in my view are the more conservative of the major motor manufacturers.

Who was it that said there is no such thing as bad publicity...?

Quote:
    cgt said:
    Quote:
    964C2 said:

With respect, I disagree. A company such as Mercedes spends a HUGE amount of money on marketing and building their brand. This is intrinsically linked to their drivers, who are the main public face of the brand. For them to be in the tabloids every day surrounded by negative publicity can in no way be considered a good thing in Stuttgart.

Especially so in the case of Mercedes, who in my view are the more conservative of the major motor manufacturers.

You make a good point.....here in the U.S. we don't see drivers in M-B advertising.

Quote:
    doyle said:

If you were talking about a wannabee actress/model/singer/Z list celebrity etc etc, then I would wholeheartedly agree with you.

BUT, we're talking about a major motor manufacturer which has a marketing department responsible for advertising and helping to protect the value of the Mercedes Benz brand name. I'm sure MB also has a 'corporate communications' dept that handles all aspects of communicating corporate information that might have any impact upon the company's share price...these people take endless precautions to guard the reputation of the company.

Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz invented the motor car. It is without doubt one of the most respected brands not just in the automotive industry but in any industry. Norbert Haug (Head of MB's Motorsports Division) simply would not allow the internecine struggles at Team McLaren to undermine the parent company's good name back in Stuttgart.

So far, this dispute and the FIA's criticism has been directed solely at Team McLaren. It has not mentioned MB. Had it done so, Ron Dennis' position as boss at McLaren would not have lasted long. Those who hold the purse strings always call the shots.

Speaking of which....Banco Santander seems to have scaled back a lot of its TV advertising in F1. They must have carried high hopes this year with a super-successful Spaniard as 2 time World Champion driving for McLaren. That's why they even held a pre-season event at Valencia.

The key question is what will happen now? If Alonso goes, will Santander move too?

How much influence does MB has in dictating driver policy any way?

I love your icon Janus. Very fitting for the topic...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    doyle said:

If you were talking about a wannabee actress/model/singer/Z list celebrity etc etc, then I would wholeheartedly agree with you.

BUT, we're talking about a major motor manufacturer which has a marketing department responsible for advertising and helping to protect the value of the Mercedes Benz brand name. I'm sure MB also has a 'corporate communications' dept that handles all aspects of communicating corporate information that might have any impact upon the company's share price...these people take endless precautions to guard the reputation of the company.

Would be shocked to see Alonsa stay with McLaren/MB given what has happened - can't imagine MB being thrilled about it.

However, FA does have a lucrative contract which I'm sure he will adhere to unless other similar ($$$) options are available - whether an exchange of drivers, MB/Mcl paying the difference etc.

Too much damage has been done, to continue this NEGATIVE relationship - no different than a bad marriage. Once too many bad things happen or are said, there is NO turning back. Better to move on...

As for Alonso, given his two world championships and familiarity with all of the circuits, he should have easily beaten Hamilton - but perhaps he is just a very good driver, certainly not a MS, Senna, GV, Prost etc. Infact, based on what I've seen this year, there may be 4-5 drivers in the top tier, including FA (Massa??? - he sure knows how to screw-up sometimes).

While I would personally like to see Raikkonen win, unless Hamilton suffers a DNF, he will win the championship. Definitely don't want to see Alonso win a 3rd championship, especially given what has occurred this year.

Well..Hamilton could go to Toyota And Alonso could stay at McLaren. Stranger things have happened!

Put aside McLaren's cheating, Alonso's duplicity and Hamiltons remarkable rookie performances for one moment.

What was Alonso thinking when he joined McLaren??

Did he not know of their team policy of no #1 driver?

Did McLaren represent to him with a Wink Wink Nod Nod that HE would be the Number One driver on the team???????

Just what representations and garuntees did McLaren actually make to him besides money? We don't know.
    And we really don't know the details about what tensions, games and tones started when Hamilton started to do well and Ron playing the Union Jack jingo card about it with the press.

I think most of McLarens stink starts at the Top. They are a "team" in name only and that is the fault of thier fearless leader.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Well..Hamilton could go to Toyota And Alonso could stay at McLaren. Stranger things have happened!

Put aside McLaren's cheating, Alonso's duplicity and Hamiltons remarkable rookie performances for one moment.

What was Alonso thinking when he joined McLaren??

Did he not know of their team policy of no #1 driver?

Did McLaren represent to him with a Wink Wink Nod Nod that HE would be the Number One driver on the team???????

Just what representations and garuntees did McLaren actually make to him besides money? We don't know.
    And we really don't know the details about what tensions, games and tones started when Hamilton started to do well and Ron playing the Union Jack jingo card about it with the press.

I think most of McLarens stink starts at the Top. They are a "team" in name only and that is the fault of thier fearless leader.

We can only speculate, but my interpretation is that Alonso did not even give No.1 status a thought because he thought in the natural order of things, he would automatically assume that role. What nobody, including Alonso or Ron Dennis, thought of was how much of a phenomenon LH would be this year and how his abilities would be so closely matched to the twice WDC. Witness the huge disparity in salary this year between Alonso and LH. Hamilton was only ever meant to be a supporting player. Had Hamilton been half a second slower than Alonso, one thing is for sure, Alonso would be very happily settled at McLaren today and I'm sure there would be a very nice atmosphere in Woking and Stuttgart.

But what is a racing driver meant to do if not race to the best of his ability? Hamilton got his opportunity and he took it with both hands. What else could he possibly do in his position?

I really think Alonso has boxed himself in a bit because wherever he goes now, of course he will not make the same mistake again and ensure he has undisputed No.1 status. Most teams, despite what Alonso says, would be unwilling to effectively halve their possibilities of scoring constructors points by having a patsy in the second car. Even at Renault, the only real possibility Alonso would agree to is Fisichella in my opinion, because with Heikki and definitely with Piquet, he would have the same situation again, a hotshot rookie with nothing to lose and everything to gain. Wonder what will happen

Looks like we have an answer!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22610347-23210,00.html

Great find - seems to confirm exactly what we thought Alonso has shot himself in the foot. He could have had a glittering career at McLaren for even 5-10 years. Instead it looks like Hamilton will enjoy that instead.

Alonso bit the hand that feeds him. Never a wise move.

Interestingly it seems McLaren's website hasnt been updated for some time as they still quote Alonso as saying his plan is to win 'several championships' with the team.

But then again, they are also still listing Mike Coughlan under 'technical staff'

Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:
    I love your icon Janus. Very fitting for the topic...

Indeed

Niki Lauda's view..

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=General&PO_ID=41081

Niki says that Alonso's behaviour has actually been worse than what is publicly known

"I heard that when Ron walks into the building and says hello, the boss to his employee, he looks away.

This is not normal education. Maybe in Spain they don't educate themselves in these villages where he comes from, but all these things I do not understand."

Lauda's comments seem patronizing and condescending to say the least.

Maybe Lauda's education lacked something for him to make such a comments about people in Spains villages. And to infer that Alonso is just some naive uneducated villager
    is pretty fkkkn arrogant.

This is all stipulation and how people perceive the action of others. All in all how we interperate certain situations will vary from one person to another. Some make a big deal about something while others won't in that same situation. Just maybe, all of the stuff we are hearing is all the bad because the people who feed us the information can control what they give us, which in turn might be all the dark stuff and none of the lighter sides of Alonso. I am not much of a fan of his but in his defense, this is getting out of hand. Is it really this bad? Only the racing team knows this; including drivers and team directors.

Hamilton and Alonso are buddies according to the Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article2690007.ece

Just who is manipulating who via McLaren and their PR department ??????

When he referred to education, I took that to mean 'manners'..if Alonso has shown one thing this year it is that he is not a fool. Even though he acts like one sometimes..

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Hamilton and Alonso are buddies according to the Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article2690007.ece

Just who is manipulating who via McLaren and their PR department ??????

Interesting insight from the same reporter

http://timesonline.typepad.com/formula_one/

I think they are probably happy because after this weekend they will be rid of each other

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776836 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441572 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262702 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260846 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85124 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5520 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880567 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815723 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM