Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Last Call! Adding a few options, any advice?

Already put in my order but since I asked for an Early Spring Delivery still had some time to finalize options and add/ make changes. I've basically decided to add 4 options & change one to another. So before I make the call and plan on it being the last time I make any changes was hoping to run it by you guys. IMO there's no better knowledge base than right here on RENNTEAM!

Most of the options especially the color combination etc. I won't consider changing but would there by anything you would add?

2008 Turbo Cabriolet
    ORDERED OPTIONS:

Z4 - Basalt Black Metallic
    V9 - Cabrio. Roof in Black
    AT - Black full leather
    CFX- Floor Mats w/ Colored Leather Trim (black)
    342 - Heated Seats
    PO1 - Adaptive Sport Seats
    XSC - Porsche Crests in Headrests
    640 - Sport Chrono Package Turbo
    220 - Axle Differential Lock Rear
    450 - PCCB
    XMP - Sun Visors in Leather
    XNG - Instrument Surround Leather
    XNS - Steering Column Leather
    XPA - Thicker Steering Wheel in Leather
    XTG - Inner Sill finisher Leather
    CDZ - Gear lever trim Leather
    CUV - Storage Compt. Lid w/ Model Logo
    CVW - Rear View Mirror Leather
    CZD - Interior Light Cover in Leather
    DAA - Interior Package A Pillar Leather
    803 - Carbon Package
    EAD - Carbon Package Switch Panel
    X69 - Door Entry Guards in Carbon
    XMJ - Rear Center Console in Carbon
    XTL - Door finisher in Carbon
    CJJ - Belt Outlets on B Pillar Carbon

OPTIONS I'M ADDING:
    CUL - Wind Deflector with colored Porsche Logo (not sure if this comes in black letters will find out once I place the call to the dealer)
    CXD - Door Entry Guards in Carbon, Illuminated (switch w/ one above)
    CUR - PCM Package Leather
    CUJ - Fuse Box Trim Leather
    CNB - Defroster Air Vents Leather

Still undecided:
    XCZ - Sport Shifter?

Thanks!!

Re: Last Call! Adding a few options, any advice?

Gregg,
    CVT is really nice option. XCZ? I think so...

This is CVT Door speakers in leather but I'm personally not sure I like it. I would leave it out.

But however it does go well with option EAD

One thing I've observed about having CF trim up on the dashboard is that on a sunny day it reflects off the windshield. I noticed this when I was driving the 997TT in Austria last year. That's why I decided against getting it. Get the EAA - Leather Package Switch Panel instead. No reflection.

I also would strongly encourage you to consider getting option ECA - aluminum shift knob/e-brake in place of the CF version because it really does go a long way in brightening up the dark interior. Plus you get the nice stitching in the leather portion too. Ties in well with the leather compartment cover too. I'd go with the CF dashboard trim from Suncoast/Sunset Porsche.

I'm not sure if you already had the sportshifter option in your previous 997 but I would strongly encourage you to get it. I love it in mine!

And finally, definitely get CXD - Door Entry Grds Carbon Illuminated.

Everything else looks good!

Sport shifter definitely a must have!!! Get it ! It is the only option missing

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Gregg,
    CVT is really nice option. XCZ? I think so...

I thought about CVT but I think I like the way the doors look stock... The stitching around the speakers make the speaker grills stand out too much imho.

XCZ- I think I'm going to wussy out on this option. Love the way the stock shifter feels, its so smooth. But value your opinion on it, thanks. I haven't had the chance to drive a Turbo w/ Sport Shifter, but really like the way the shifter on my 997 S cab felt and I dont want to get my turbo & dislike the way it feels to shift & then have to deal w/ installing the stock shifter, you know what I mean? Travel in gears 2->6 are already reduced by 15% from my 996 turbo in stock form so..If it aint broke,,, that kinda thing. But I know, I asked.....Above is just my thoughts out-loud.. Just can't make up my mind.. Spec.ing out these cars is so much damn fun!

How about PCM in carbon since you like it a lot? Or is it part od EAD?

PCM isn't available in CF unfortunately but maybe Eric@bumperplugs can fix that.

Then leather instead of the grey plastic... Although with a black int car, it is not as dramatic as with a lighter color.

Why black leather and not natural grey?

Thanks!
    I saw a previous msg of your re: the CF on the dash. 1st 2 times seeing a turbo w/ this option didnt see the reflection at all but did finally see what you were referring to but it's not going to bother me enough to want to ditch the option.

Thought about getting ECA but prefer the CF shift knob. I do like the ECA handbrake lever but if the Alum. in the CF shift knob doesnt match the Alum in the ECA handbrake I'm going to stay with 803. But I have thought about doing so thanks to your previous msgs about it.

I know you love Carbon Fiber so how about getting the instrument surround in carbon aftermarket instead of the leather. Eric at Bumper Plugs has it on his web site. I am ordering the leather surround and figure if I want to change to carbon the leather was ONLY 260.00. Won't be the first nor the last 260.00 I ever wasted. Also agree totally with Atomic80 on the door edge guards.

The only thing I'd leave out is the fuse box cover in leather. This piece is very vulnerable and won't last long...
    I'd second imcarnuts on the aftermarket CF instrument surround. Sounds like a nice addition.
    Leather color: how about natural grey? There has to be a reason you didn't spec it, since you obviously spent a lot of time thinking it through.

Otherwise your spec is absolutely perfect.

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    I know you love Carbon Fiber so how about getting the instrument surround in carbon aftermarket instead of the leather. Eric at Bumper Plugs has it on his web site. I am ordering the leather surround and figure if I want to change to carbon the leather was ONLY 260.00. Won't be the first nor the last 260.00 I ever wasted. Also agree totally with Atomic80 on the door edge guards.

I will probably do that. But before I make changes I really want to see how closely the CF matches etc. So I thought about leaving off the leather instruement surround especailly since it's black anyway but if I know me for whatever reason later on I'm going to wish I had just gotten it & not try to outsmart myself for the $260. It's one of those things that no one will notice except yourself but you'll know & it's directly in line of sight all the time soo... anyway thats why I left it. Even in black leather it does make a slight difference look wise vs the stock plastic.

Definitely going to add the CF Illuminated door entry guards then.

nice...having had a basalt p-car i think you will really like the imo improvement over black ...you cant even think about not getting the sport shifter

Sport shifter

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    The only thing I'd leave out is the fuse box cover in leather. This piece is very vulnerable and won't last long...
    I'd second imcarnuts on the aftermarket CF instrument surround. Sounds like a nice addition.
    Leather color: how about natural grey? There has to be a reason you didn't spec it, since you obviously spent a lot of time thinking it through.

Otherwise your spec is absolutely perfect.

I was the one the other day that was telling someone here, think its was imacarnuts to forget the leather fuse box cover for this very reason. Then someone made a very good point about it being very inexpensive to get as a factory option ($145) & easily replaced w/ a plastic one later on but not so easy to add the leather one down the road, think atomic mentioned it being like $400 if added later so I added it. IMO it's not a big difference, there's a very small amount of stitching but since I got the Aluminum footrest (which I forgot to list earlier) figured it will look good for however long it lasts.

Color is just subjective right, what pleases one person doesn't please another & how do you describe why? To my eyes although the black is not pitch black it looks better to me that the natural grey which looks almost Porsche black. IMO the black is sportier & especially on a Black exterior car looks better than the dark grey. Strange but my preferance /opinion on this has never changed, I have always prefered black interiors in my sports cars. My 996 Turbo Interior was black & my 997 S Cabrio was black it's one of the things that I never even get close to deciding to get another interior color because I'm so happy w/ black which makes it one of the only easy choices for me. And I think the way the black interior comes stock w/ the dark grey stitching is excellent.....

Thank you, appreciate that!

I can only stress you how smooth the sport shifter is. Today I was driving my 997 turbo and it smooth as silk.
    You should definitely get it.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    imcarnuts said:

I will probably do that. But before I make changes I really want to see how closely the CF matches etc. So I thought about leaving off the leather instruement surround especailly since it's black anyway but if I know me for whatever reason later on I'm going to wish I had just gotten it & not try to outsmart myself for the $260. It's one of those things that no one will notice except yourself but you'll know & it's directly in line of sight all the time soo... anyway thats why I left it. Even in black leather it does make a slight difference look wise vs the stock plastic.

My thoughts exactly. It is much easier to go from leather to carbon than carbon to leather. That is why I ordered the leather even though I will probably change to carbon. I am leaning towards that same thought process with the console. I can always order the carbon console later but I think it would be very difficult to order leather with deviating stitching later.

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    nice...having had a basalt p-car i think you will really like the imo improvement over black ...you cant even think about not getting the sport shifter

So do I. As I mentioned a while ago, I'm on my 6th black car in like 10 yrs. It's taken me numerous trips to dealerships to look at Basalt in all types of conditions, sun, shade, inside dirty, clean, next to straight black, etc. but really looking forward to it. Sick right? I think I went to 5 different dealers w/ Basalt Cars to make sure I loved the color. Lucky in my area there's like 10 dealers within 25 miles.

More votes for sport shifter.. Anyone try it and not like it?

How about adding it later if I wanted to? I know its always best if you get it from the factory but I really dont want to chance getting the car and then being unhappy w/ it. Stock shifter is so good, is it really better? Okay to be completely honest - I'm concerned that it will increase my chances of a missed shift.. Are my concerns bogus?

Stradale i have the short shifter from start,and i love it..

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    imcarnuts said:

My thoughts exactly. It is much easier to go from leather to carbon than carbon to leather. That is why I ordered the leather even though I will probably change to carbon. I am leaning towards that same thought process with the console. I can always order the carbon console later but I think it would be very difficult to order leather with deviating stitching later.

Obviously you know my opinion on the CF center console vs leather but you are 100% right, it would be much easier to change to the CF console later than the leather WITH deviated stitching. Plus once you get the leather I doubt you will ever feel like it doesnt look great. I mean you cant go wrong either way so...

It just makes it feel less truck like and more like the sports car it is. It is no less accurate. Every shift goes in the gear it's supposed to. You can shift with one finger and not miss the gear.

Get the SS it's very smooth.

I'm also voting for the sportshifter too although I will say that when you first get the car it will feel notchy but as the mileage increases then it gets smoother. I had a chance to try a 997 without the SS several times including my stint at the Porsche Driving School and that pretty much concluded it for me, it's definitely a must to get the SS. I won't order another Porsche without it.

I agree with you about sticking with black leather. Black will definitely look very elegant with Basalt Black. The 997TT I drove in Europe was this exact combination, Basalt Black with black leather and it looked extremely sharp!

I can also tell you that the CF trim from Eric@bumperplugs matches the OEM CF very well. I had the same concerns that you did. I ordered the CF A-pillar piece and it turned out VERY well. Definitely recommend going this route. Same with getting the instrument surround in CF from Eric too.

A-pillar in CF from Eric

Matches OEM CF very well

Driver's side

I can see why you'd feel this way about wanting to keep option 803 instead of going with ECA. I just wish that Porsche offered the same type of CF e-brake handle as they did for the 996 with the "PORSCHE" embossed on aluminum within the CF. That would've been perfect!

What about XXF Red Tail Lights?

Okay! I give in! You know it's almost impossible for me not to add it when everyone agrees! XCZ - Sport Shifter added. Man this car is going to be expensive.

Jason those A-pillar CF pieces look great, something I'll have to do down the road.

I just have to figure out the exhaust part, right now I'm thinkin tubi..

I found my rims too... What do you think?

Congratulations on getting down to the final (minor?) decisions on a great spec!
    The CF on the dashboard is not an issue wrt. reflections if a person is tall and looks through the top part of the windshield. On the other hand, my wife who is 5'7" complains of reflections at times ...
    The reflections of rain drops on the windshield with the CF strip is actually quite artistic in a photographic sort of way !
    I have had the sport shifter from the start and love it!

A+ for the rims!
    It is going to be a nice car...

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:

IMO the black is sportier & especially on a Black exterior car looks better than the dark grey.

That's an excellent point. I had completely forgotten your car was going to be black when I wrote that!

whereas Natural Grey would rather match Atlas Grey.

Stpped by my Dealer today and put a deposit down for a 09 Turbo Cab slot. I'll be making option decisions staring NOW. I had SS from the factory. Its a must.
    What about seats backs in exterior color. I was never happy with the volcano grey contrast with my Triple Black car.

looks awesome. I have the CF switch panel and the reflection does not bother me at all.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    756004 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431891 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258998 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256075 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80020 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5268 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869126 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803444 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM