Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche rewards employees

"While comparing Porsche to General Motors is beyond a stretch, we couldn't help but think about last week's UAW strike against the General while reading about Porsche giving away $7,350 in bonuses to over 8,000 full-time employees. Must be nice to be part of a profitable automaker - even if it's from sales of the Cayenne.

The automaker hailing from Stuttgart sold 97,515 cars during its fiscal year, ending on July 31. Those sales rose over the same period by 3.4-percent, bringing total income to $10.5 billion for the year. When the accountants finally get done doing the math, it's expected that Porsche will make a pretax profit that's considerably more than the approximately $3 billion it made last year. Good news for everyone involved, and it's certainly nice to see an automaker passing along the profits to its workers."

source: autoblog.com

Re: Porsche rewards employees

Maybe they are shipping drugs in each car, because my calculator says 3 bil. divided by 97515 = 30,000.00 per profit necessary.

Seems a little high

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Maybe they are shipping drugs in each car, because my calculator says 3 bil. divided by 97515 = 30,000.00 per profit necessary.

Seems a little high

I heard somewhere that Porsche makes about half of their revenue from licensing technology. Plus it's possible they count the increased value of their VW stocks in this number.

Yet they still don't provide bluetooth, iPod connection, a manual-auto transmission, read LED or carbon lightweight body panels...

Quote:
    racerx said:

Seems a little high

That sounds about right. I believe we had this discussion in another thread and several posters came up with a similar amount.

More power to them for being able to repackage old technology as 'the latest innovation'. For once, I'd love to see their engineers sidestep the marketing department.

It is profit that allows Porsche to remain an independent company. It is profit that allows for profitable expansion of product line. For those who bemoan Porsche's profitability just look at what has happened to the English car industry since 1946.

LOL... there's profit and there's bank heist. Would it be too much to ask for the little things that even car manufacturers such as Hyundai are doing? In your opinion will adding bluetooth, rear LEDs, ANY type of PDK-style shifting, send them into a financial tailspin? Or will it just mean that someone doesn't get their monthly allotment of ivory back-scratchers?

Quote:
    connoisseur said:
    It is profit that allows Porsche to remain an independent company. It is profit that allows for profitable expansion of product line. For those who bemoan Porsche's profitability just look at what has happened to the English car industry since 1946.

The English automotive industry is no model to compare anything to except the Titanic.

Seriously - Google up Austin Allegro, then ask yourself who in their right mind would greenlight production of that disaster when Germany was building BMW 320's and Japan Datsun 510's and Toyota Corollas.

The medium and low end mass markets for the English car industry tanked because the very cars they designed and made and sold to their own employees were not reliable enough to get them to work in the morning!

Quote:
    connoisseur said:

Nobody here bemoans porsche'e profit, if those are real numbers, and not some fancy german math. But like others said, porsche is way behind other auto makers in providing even current tech, not to mention being on the leading edge.

That doesn't bother me though, what bothers me is the lousy product planning and miserable design.

It is the fact that porsche seems to be focused on the making of the buck more than providing exciting, segment leading vehicles. (GT2 and CGT excluded)

The companies focus is all wrong imo.

Whenever you have an automobile manufacturer making this kind of profit with the stated volume you can bet the customer is being hosed. Yet as a business man I can only envy Porsche because they have a business model that all other companies can only hope for.

Use the brand name to sell the cars with little to no styling changes, share 50% or more of the parts with the various models, announce huge technological changes with each new model when in fact little has changed and incremental small hp changes providing a market for paying top dollar for appreciable hp increases. You have to love it.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    In your opinion will adding bluetooth, rear LEDs, ANY type of PDK-style shifting, send them into a financial tailspin?

Those gimmicks are not what matters in a sports car. WBH will call that "luddism", but that's in fact quite a good point.

Companies that rushed to offer the latest electronic gizmos (e.g. Mercedes-Benz, or the French manufacturers) saw reliability ratings plummet.

Single-clutch sequential transmissions are not ready for daily use, given how fast they chew through clutches, and how they make low-speed manoeuvers a miserable experience. There's a reason Porsche won't offer them, and there's a reason they haven't offered DSG gearboxes yet.
    Granted, they did sell PCCB mk.1 brakes before the tech was ready for prime time, but they're trying not to make that mistake again.

At least that's the prevalent mindset in Weissach.

Can anyone name another car company that has forked over bonuses like that to people on the shop floor? I think its very commendable.

Nick, Large Profits are not a bad thing when you are selling to the carriage trade. And the customer is not "hosed" as you claim, their cars and trucks do very well. The value is there and the romance between customers and the brand continues unabated.

Im not sure what potential styling changes you envision so enlighten us please. Im sure Herr so and so in the styling department would gladly appreciate some inputs. He is stuck with having to refresh a 44 year old iconic shape every few years. So have at it!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The English automotive industry is no model to compare anything to except the Titanic.

Titanic came from the same country as the Delorean. And it wasn't the design or build of the ship that caused it to sink. Unlike the English automobile industry

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Can anyone name another car company that has forked over bonuses like that to people on the shop floor? I think its very commendable.

Nick, Large Profits are not a bad thing when you are selling to the carriage trade. And the customer is not "hosed" as you claim, their cars and trucks do very well. The value is there and the romance between customers and the brand continues unabated.

Im not sure what potential styling changes you envision so enlighten us please. Im sure Herr so and so in the styling department would gladly appreciate some inputs. He is stuck with having to refresh a 44 year old iconic shape every few years. So have at it!

James my friend, Porsche is in the process of transitioning their styling. For a clue, look to the CGT.

As for the unabated demand, my view is there was a considerable pent-up demand for Porsche's from the X-generation. Slowly that is eroding and being spent. Last week I was yet again invited and paid by a very prominent European car manfacturer to give my opinion on a future3-5 year model. There were eight in attendance. A couple were fairly young but very successful. Their comments about Porsche was very revealing. Basically what I heard was "same old, same old with a nip and tuck here and there".

People are catching on.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    In your opinion will adding bluetooth, rear LEDs, ANY type of PDK-style shifting, send them into a financial tailspin?

Those gimmicks are not what matters in a sports car. WBH will call that "luddism", but that's in fact quite a good point.

Companies that rushed to offer the latest electronic gizmos (e.g. Mercedes-Benz, or the French manufacturers) saw reliability ratings plummet.

Single-clutch sequential transmissions are not ready for daily use, given how fast they chew through clutches, and how they make low-speed manoeuvers a miserable experience. There's a reason Porsche won't offer them, and there's a reason they haven't offered DSG gearboxes yet.
    Granted, they did sell PCCB mk.1 brakes before the tech was ready for prime time, but they're trying not to make that mistake again.

At least that's the prevalent mindset in Weissach.

You miss my point. (and please don't bring up that fraud VKSF)
    Those are some of the most basic technologies being offered by ALL car manufacturers. If Porsche wants to charge a premium then they should make sure to have at least the basics covered and bring up their performance standards relative to their competition. As for DSG, I can see your points in regards to daily use however I'm not sold on the fact that Tipronic is where it needs to be. (it's junk)
    Someday, I too would like to see Porsche return to the days of the 993TT (when it was the undisputed king of the hill).

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:

Those gimmicks are not what matters in a sports car.

True for buyers of GT2 and GT3, but look at the Porsche line-up! Underpowered boxsters/caymans/SUV/911 without dry sump pump... Those gimmicks do matter.

Even on the 997TT, Porsche did not hide the fact it made it more a "GT" than ever.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Those gimmicks are not what matters in a sports car.

You miss my point.

Rest assured they (and I) do get your point. We merely disagree on what is "basic" and what is "important".

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Someday, I too would like to see Porsche return to the days of the 993TT (when it was the undisputed king of the hill).

Yeah, I miss those days, too. However, it remains debatable whether Porsche got lazy (or greedy for that matter), or whether competitors finally got competitive.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    True for buyers of GT2 and GT3, but look at the Porsche line-up! Underpowered boxsters/caymans/SUV/911 without dry sump pump... Those gimmicks do matter.

Truth in Weissach, error in Ludwigsburg.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759300 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433597 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259683 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256818 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80533 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870572 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805511 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM