Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Time to finalize options - advice please

After driving my dealer crazy making changes to my order over the last three or four months, this is where I am. Just received a call from him to let me know it is time to make any final changes to my order before it gets locked by Porsche. I am sure he has been greatly anticipating the day when the order is locked and I won't be calling him to say "What do you think about.........."

The car will be GT Silver with Cocoa Interior.

The order is presently:
    450 PCCB's
    220 Rear Axle Differential Lock
    840 Sport Chrono
    XCZ Sport Shifter
    P01 Adaptive Sports Seats
    342 Heated Seats
    XXZ Foot Rest Aluminum
    CUV Storage Compartant w/Model Loge
    XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest
    XPA Thicker 3 Spoke Steering Wheel
    XSH Seat Belts - Silver
    DAW Gear Lever/Handbrake Special
    XAJ Rocker Panels Painted
    CNG Lower Part of Rear Apron Painted
    CNE Spoiler Lip Painted
    XNG Leather Instrument Surround
    XZD Leather Dome Lamp Cover
    XMP Leather Sun Visors Lighted
    XMZ Leather Rear Center Console
    XNS Leather Covered Steering Cloumn
    CVW Leather Rear View Mirror
    CUR Leather PCM Package
    CUJ Leather Fuse Box Trim
    CJJ Carbon Belt Outlet B Pillar
    XTL Carbon Fiber Door Finishers
    EAD Carbon Switch Panel
    CXD Carbon Door Entry Guards Illuminated
    24891 Deviating Stitching of Front & Rear Seats - Silver
    24901 Deviating Stitching on Dashboard - Silver
    24902 Deviating Stitching on Doors - Silver
    24904 Deviating stitching on Rear Center Console - Silver
    24905 Deviating Stitching on Rear Side Panel - Silver
    09991 Deviating Stitching on All Exclusie Options - Silver
    810 Floor Mats
    XSA Sport Seat Backs Painted Exterior Color

Now starts my dilemna:

I really want to order XTG Leather inner sill but am afraid my size 13 shoes & valet parkers will destroy it.

Should I stick with the Leather Console with the deviating stitching:
    or change it to:

XMJ Carbon Rear Console
    or
    XME Center Console Painted Exterior Color (will lighten the interior)

Any input on these or any other options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Time to finalize options - advice please

Excellent spec. Your car truly has everything.

I'd keep the rear console in leather. The problem with the 997's rear console is that it does not flow as well with the rest of the interior as the 996's did.

Don't get the inner sills in leather, they're going to get ruined really fast. I'd ditch the fuse box cover as well, for the same reason.

Honestly, I'm unsure how well the carbon trim looks like with Cocoa. IMHO, cocoa looks better with a subtle silver theme. If I were you, I'd ditch the entire carbon stuff, and get the following:
    - CNA Defroster trim leather
    - CVP Trim strip leather
    - CDA Air vent slats Aluminum look
    - XTV Door finishers leather
    - CDU Belt outlet on B-pillar leather, or DAB (B-pillar package, includes CDU and some other goodies)
    - CFX Cocoa floor mats with silver piping
    - CXB Door entry guards, illuminated

and while we're at it:
    - CNB defroster "slats" leather (in fact it's just the frame. Covers the small triangular vents next to the A pillar, which are not covered by CNA or EAD)
    - DAA and DAC, if ordering DAB (similar to DAB but near A and C pillars).

However, if you are set on carbon, don't forget to remind the dealer he'll need to have a Tequipment carbon trim strip in stock by the time your car arrives.

Duffy, looks like you made an effort to cover everything that's not coca leather in cocoa. The only "omissions" I see in your spec are the headliner A/B Pillar in Leather (the standard headliner is black alcantara with cocoa) and DAA - Interior Leather Package A Pillar which includes the inside mirror triangles, ignition bezel and dash endcap in cocoa leather (standard is soft-touch paint).

My us$.02:

Do not get dev stitching, car interior is bizzy enough without it. I don't get dev stitching either: is the car interior some western-cowboy-saddle-based reference to leather? They deviate it because they CAN deviate it? Sorry. Nix crest in headrest for same reason.

Some of the out-of-the-way leather bits are unnecessary because the "plastic" versions are incredibly leather-looking.

Painted seat backs: total waste in non-Cab. They NEVER get seen AND WORSE: you'll always go nuts trying not to scratch them by you or your passengers putting stuff back there. Keep in mind: if stuff touches the seat backs and you go for a long drive that stuff (like a zipper or snap) can wear away and mar the painted backs. Had them in my 997 C2S and now see them as a PITA wa$te.

BTW, IMHO, you should be driving this car in your socks. I do. It's much more comfortable and with my big feel I can feel smallish pedals muuuuch better.

Quote:
    saxguy said:
    Duffy, looks like you made an effort to cover everything that's not coca leather in cocoa. The only "omissions" I see in your spec are the headliner A/B Pillar in Leather (the standard headliner is black alcantara with cocoa) and DAA - Interior Leather Package A Pillar which includes the inside mirror triangles, ignition bezel and dash endcap in cocoa leather (standard is soft-touch paint).

Saxguy - thanks for the comments. I was going to order the DAA option, but decided to order the Carbon Mirror Triangles and Carbon Ignition Bezel aftermarket. Still leaves the end cap not leather, but with doors closed doesn't show anyways. Because of the Carbon being "black" I decided to leave the roof liner black to give a little more contrast to the sunvisors and dome lamp covers in leather. I am rethinking that.

I have the leather door sill finishers for the last year (16,000 km) without any wear even with size 15 feet ... go for them!
    I prefer the roof liner and pillars in leather, even in my black leather interior. The many different surfaces and textures get busy enough without adding alcantra as another material.
    As the Groom points out, silver trim would look better than carbon with cocoa, hence I went with black interior with carbon trim. My preference was the carbon trim over the cocoa interior ... decisions, decisions ...
    Congratulations on your very well spec'd car.
    You will be just as relieved as your dealer once the order is finalized!

Rear Center consule in Carbon w/ bring all the CF togther, go for it!

ps: I'd be much more concerned about thye leather fuse box panel hitting it w/ your foot than the inner sills. At least w/ the inner sills you can make an effort to lift your feet to avoid them, w/ the fuse box it's going to be almost impossible not to have the side of your shoes hitting it and the more aggressive I drive the more my left foot hits it. just my 2 cents.

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Quote:
    saxguy said:

Saxguy - thanks for the comments. I was going to order the DAA option, but decided to order the Carbon Mirror Triangles and Carbon Ignition Bezel aftermarket. Still leaves the end cap not leather, but with doors closed doesn't show anyways. Because of the Carbon being "black" I decided to leave the roof liner black to give a little more contrast to the sunvisors and dome lamp covers in leather. I am rethinking that.

I just got this CF triangle trim from Bumperplugs and it REALLY looks good! I would definitely recommend this option without hesitation!

I would also recommend going with the leather door sills instead of the fusebox cover. Stick with the leather rear console instead of the painted one. You don't want to create a "busy" interior. You already have a contrasting "theme" going with the CF trim pieces.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

ps: I'd be much more concerned about thye leather fuse box panel hitting it w/ your foot than the inner sills. At least w/ the inner sills you can make an effort to lift your feet to avoid them, w/ the fuse box it's going to be almost impossible not to have the side of your shoes hitting it and the more aggressive I drive the more my left foot hits it. just my 2 cents.

The fuse cover is so inexpensive (relatively) that if it gets destroyed I will just replace it with plastic. I am doing the sills but I am still in a quandary about the carbon vs. leather. Leaning towards leather though.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Quote:
    saxguy said:

I just got this CF triangle trim from Bumperplugs and it REALLY looks good! I would definitely recommend this option without hesitation!

I would also recommend going with the leather door sills instead of the fusebox cover. Stick with the leather rear console instead of the painted one. You don't want to create a "busy" interior. You already have a contrasting "theme" going with the CF trim pieces.

Thanks Jason,

I think, since I am doing the stitching, that I need to do the leather console to tie in the stitching with the DAW option.

Nice spec, but too busy in my opinion. You have 5 different surface appearances:

cocoa leather
    GT silver trim pieces
    Krylon grey trim pieces
    black roof liner and bits
    carbon trim

I personally would simplify things - perhaps eliminate all the CF since I don't think CF goes with cocoa at all. I would replace all the CF with silver or cocoa leather pieces

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Nice spec, but too busy in my opinion. You have 5 different surface appearances:

cocoa leather
    GT silver trim pieces
    Krylon grey trim pieces
    black roof liner and bits
    carbon trim

I personally would simplify things - perhaps eliminate all the CF since I don't think CF goes with cocoa at all. I would replace all the CF with silver or cocoa leather pieces

Thanks for your input. What pieces are Krylon Grey?

Saw these pics plus another, much better, picture in the exclusive brochure that I really liked.

Another picture

The grey is on the PCM and the steering wheel surround. In those pictures the CF doesn't look to clash on the cocoa as much as others I have seen

I must say that for some reason I don't mind the volcano trim finish with the cocoa leather. Maybe the cocoa picks up some of the brown in it. I'm still completely undecided on colors, but have been considering GT Silver or Slate over Cocoa. When I initially test drove a 997S it had the cocoa interior and it seemed to have somewhat of a calming effect on me. Then again, my home is painted in warm tones, so it just may be something I'm used to.

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Another picture

Personally I love the way Carbon Fiber looks & only wish I could order more of it inside & out. IMO it goes with any color too. I'm not a huge fan of tans or browns but the Carbon Fiber makes any interior look more sporty/higher performance. IMO when all the CF options are ticked; the doors, vents, trim strip, belt outlet, rear center consule it looks balanced. I also like the way it looks when the CF vents are connected to each other with the carbon fiber trim strip across the dash and the CF vents are then connected to the CF door finishers. And IMO adding the CF rear center consule brings it all together. the only CF piece I didn't order was the steering wheel because I prefer the thicker leather XPA wheel w/ the round airbag. I then added a bunch of added leather which imo when combined w/ the cf has the coolest look to it vs anything else. The way the turbo storage comaprtment lid w/ stitching look on top of the cf rear center consule & the way the cf outer sills look w/ leather inner sills is what I'm referring to. It doesnt get any nicer for my own preference. So I guess you know my opinion on that.

Like I said Cocoa isnt my own 1st choice but your option list is killer. If your interior was black & you kept that list of options I'd probably have to come and steal the car from you it would be so amazing but you're still on track for one helluva car.

OMG a GT-Silver PCCB car w/ Black Int. w/ silver stitching loaded w/ CF & leather, right combo of turbo logo in storage lid w/ crests on headrests w/ leather edged mats, xpa, now that would be a car to die for (personally)

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

The fuse cover is so inexpensive (relatively) that if it gets destroyed I will just replace it with plastic. I am doing the sills but I am still in a quandary about the carbon vs. leather. Leaning towards leather though.

Leather is nice & if you weren't doing CF vents, CF outer sills etc. I'd say go w/ the leather but you almost HAVE TO go w/ CF when you're doing the other pieces in CF. For me anyway it always looks unfinished when people select CF vents & doors & dont do the center consule. It puts all the CF in one area vs balancing it with the center piece. For someone that has no CF, I'd rec. the leather instead of a single CF piece (center consule) but w/ your specs IMO the CF center is like a must have (but I know that its just a personal preference) Good luck in your decision !

Am a huge fan of cf interior trim (spec'd it in my current CL63...and had it spec'd extensively in prior 599 )...though opted for extensive leather options, no cf, in my prior 997TT....as had heard poor reviews of P's cf materials quality/execution...

What's latest story re: yellowing tendency of P cf? Haven't some of the elderly CGTs already begun to show this issue...and w/no easy solution offered by P?

If keeping any car <12mos and car is typically parked in garages at home/office (i.e., w/o much exposure to hot sun), the cf decay may not be relevant....but could be a risk to consider in other uses/longer periods of use....

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Am a huge fan of cf interior trim (spec'd it in my current CL63...and had it spec'd extensively in prior 599 )...though opted for extensive leather options, no cf, in my prior 997TT....as had heard poor reviews of P's cf materials quality/execution...

What's latest story re: yellowing tendency of P cf? Haven't some of the elderly CGTs already begun to show this issue...and w/no easy solution offered by P?

If keeping any car <12mos and car is typically parked in garages at home/office (i.e., w/o much exposure to hot sun), the cf decay may not be relevant....but could be a risk to consider in other uses/longer periods of use....

Haven't seen any of what you're referring to. My 996 turbo which I got to see again after parting ways 3+ yrs ago had CF pieces that were installed 5+ yrs ago and they still looked brand new. IMO the CF for the 997's is excellent, better than the CF in my Stradale & my current 430.

If you go w/ leather the leather is going to wear from sun a lot faster than CF imo.

Would love to see pics of all your 6 month old (and less) cars one of these days if you can stand one still long enough to take a picture.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    WBH said:

Haven't seen any of what you're referring to. My 996 turbo which I got to see again after parting ways 3+ yrs ago had CF pieces that were installed 5+ yrs ago and they still looked brand new. IMO the CF for the 997's is excellent, better than the CF in my Stradale & my current 430.

If you go w/ leather the leather is going to wear from sun a lot faster than CF imo.

Would love to see pics of all your 6 month old (and less) cars one of these days if you can stand one still long enough to take a picture.

Vaguely recall a thread on ?rennlist in ?past 6mos re: CGT cf yellowing issues....

Am rather OCD about my cars (latest-tech/debug fanaticism; aversion vs mtce downtime/dealer manipulation of factory-specs; and disdain vs inevitable tech/aesthetic decay...but have zero interest in washing own car...or taking pics of any car )...but I've gotten worse in last few yrs ....previously would keep cars for 12mos (when I did my time in NYC )....now down to 6mos (or less)....though I drive my cars at 15K mis/yr pace (both daily urban commuting and wkend mtn twisties fun driving)...they primarily live a charmed existence in a 65F-yr-round CA garage when not being driven...until traded-in for next new, latest/greatest-tech car to enjoy....perhaps a far cheaper, more time-efficient...and legal...vice/hobby vs many others....

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    WBH said:

Vaguely recall a thread on ?rennlist in ?past 6mos re: CGT cf yellowing issues....

Am rather OCD about my cars (latest-tech/debug fanaticism; aversion vs mtce downtime/dealer manipulation of factory-specs; and disdain vs inevitable tech/aesthetic decay...but have zero interest in washing own car...or taking pics of any car )...but I've gotten worse in last few yrs ....previously would keep cars for 12mos (when I did my time in NYC )....now down to 6mos (or less)....though I drive my cars at 15K mis/yr pace (both daily urban commuting and wkend mtn twisties fun driving)...they primarily live a charmed existence in a 65F-yr-round CA garage when not being driven...until traded-in for next new, latest/greatest-tech car to enjoy....perhaps a far cheaper, more time-efficient...and legal...vice/hobby vs many others....

If I left the detailing of my cars to someone else & also sold them within 6 months I dont think I'd have them more than a couple of hours to enjoy for myself. Plus I find any small annoyances that need to be fixed at dealer after picking up a new car usually appear within the first couple of months so the 6 months plus to 2 or 3 yrs is the best part of the car, after being broken in & lossening up a bit from such tight initial tolerances. Plus it usually takes me a few months to really gel with a new car, to really start feeling at one so doesn't make sense to me to sell before I really start enjoying it. Dun no.. A 6 month newer car isn't any better than one 6 months older if someone is very compulsive so it just seems like a waste & wouldnt be something to really look forward to. I can understand buying them, keeping some & collecting others within such a short timeframe like Mike S does but just to roll the same car model over every 6 months for the sake of doing so to maybe get newer options or whatever especially w/ cars that dont sell for over msrp like Porsche and Mercedes just seems like a waste of time but to each their own. Plus in CA you have to keep paying tax w/ every new car vs in NY where you only have to pay the tax for the difference in value so paying tax (even on leases where youre only paying tax on the depreciated value) on the same model every 6 months is not what I'd do but you're right people have much worse vices.

I have a feeling one day you're going to wish you had taken some pictures.

Don't know how long you plan to keep the car but think again about all that plastic inside,--I mean, "Carbon Fiber." It is plastic, no matter what the marketeers call it. It also will turn yellow,--guaranteed. MMD has a lot of good suggestions.Ditto his inputs. Suggest, too, leather backs to the seats. Painting them only exposes them to more damage.

Another general comment that you need to seriously consider. If ANY of this stuff becomes problematic later, whether in warranty or not, it will take over a year to replace. That's what "exclusive" really means. (Ask me why I know). Porsche will never tell you this.

Dan

Quote:
    eclou said:
    The grey is on the PCM and the steering wheel surround. In those pictures the CF doesn't look to clash on the cocoa as much as others I have seen

I don't care for the grey - although I thought it was Volcano Grey. That is why I did the PCM in leather and the back of the seats in GT Silver. I will have the dealer do the trim strip in carbon as I wanted the DAW option so couldn't do the 803 (Carbon Package).

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Don't know how long you plan to keep the car but think again about all that plastic inside,--I mean, "Carbon Fiber." It is plastic, no matter what the marketeers call it. It also will turn yellow,--guaranteed. MMD has a lot of good suggestions.Ditto his inputs. Suggest, too, leather backs to the seats. Painting them only exposes them to more damage.

Another general comment that you need to seriously consider. If ANY of this stuff becomes problematic later, whether in warranty or not, it will take over a year to replace. That's what "exclusive" really means. (Ask me why I know). Porsche will never tell you this.

Dan

Plastic as in what the majority of construction on all Formula 1 cars, the CGT, Pagani, Enzo, GT2, GT3, Koenigsegg, Challenge Stradale, 430 Scuderia, F40, McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron, etc. etc etc... That kind of plastic.. And I've had plenty of cars w/ CF and none of it has ever yellowed as a matter of fact have seen CF 15+ years old in cars and never seen any yellow so take your "guarantee" w/ a grain of salt.

Quote:
    Dan L said:

Dan

Not sure what you mean by 'Plastic."
    I bought a very early 2001 996 Turbo with every carbon fiber option available. I had it for over 4 years and saw it just a few months ago. There was no discoloring or yellowing of any kind. Looked like new.

I think what Dan means is that CF interior pieces have about as much to do with true carbon fiber as the aluminium "look" pieces have to do with aluminium. CF interior pieces are just the same old plastic pieces you'd get as stock with a CF style veneer. This is an entirely different animal than a true CF chassis construction as in the cars STRADALE mentions.

A formula 1 car is made from carbon fiber. Those "carbon fiber" vents are just plastic made to appear as if they were made from carbon fiber. I'd bet anything that they weigh marginally more than the stock pieces and they're certainly not any stronger.

To me it looks cheap and fake and is just about the last thing I'd want in my car.

CF is a tremendous material in the hands of an engineer who can use it to reduce weight while retaining strength. Pasting a thin CF veneer on top of plastic interior components is just silly.

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    I think what Dan means is that CF interior pieces have about as much to do with true carbon fiber as the aluminium "look" pieces have to do with aluminium. CF interior pieces are just the same old plastic pieces you'd get as stock with a CF style veneer. This is an entirely different animal than a true CF chassis construction as in the cars STRADALE mentions.

A formula 1 car is made from carbon fiber. Those "carbon fiber" vents are just plastic made to appear as if they were made from carbon fiber. I'd bet anything that they weigh marginally more than the stock pieces and they're certainly not any stronger.

To me it looks cheap and fake and is just about the last thing I'd want in my car.

CF is a tremendous material in the hands of an engineer who can use it to reduce weight while retaining strength. Pasting a thin CF veneer on top of plastic interior components is just silly.

I disagree with you entirely. The CF pieces in my 430 are very much like the CF pieces in the Turbo and mostly for appearance. In the 430 there's really no need to make an AC vent surround w/ CF but it still looks ultra slick IMO. CF AC vents, CF outer sills, CF center console all very similar to the CF pieces on the turbo. Getting the CF in the turbo is for looks and no one is trying to say it reduces weight or is stronger who knows maybe it is, maybe it isn't lighter that's not the purpose. The purpose is to create something that is pleasing to you. I love the way the CF looks in a 911. It's no more "silly" than painting the same plastic pieces an exterior color or aluminum or covering the pieces with leather or wood. I think I have good taste matter of fact I always get compliments on the design of my company offices & I happen to love the way the Carbon Fiber weave looks. I mean what did you get in your 911? Did you leave the pieces plastic? If so there's nothing "silly", "Nugget" about that or "fake" or "cheap",,, well actually that's not true the stock plastic does look "cheap" but anyway my point is that get what makes you happy and if replacing plastic with wood or just keeping the look of plastic makes you happy than great.

The purpose of the interior options in a Turbo is purely to make an environment that the owner feels is pleasing to him. But IMO it's one of the most fun things about spec'ing a new 911. And IMO the CF options add a high-tech, high performance, sporty look & feel that added paint or just leather doesn't bring. And is certainly much better looking than the look of the stock plastic. But it's all personal preference/subjective of course. In the interior it's more about the design than it is the performance. A completely stock interior is fine too, not as personal but nothing wrong with it either. Now if Porsche only made the back of the adaptive sport seats in Carbon Fiber like the racing seats they just came out w/ on the GT2 I'd be all set.

I think imcarnuts is setting up a killer Turbo..

This is not my car btw, I just like the picture.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I disagree with you entirely.

Actually, we don't really disagree much at all. Let me clarify...

I didn't for a moment intend to say that I thought someone was being foolish by adding carbon fiber trim pieces in their car. Like you, I relish the wealth of options and customizations that Porsche offers when configuring a car and I think it's absolutely brilliant that such a broad range of styles and options emerge from the Porsche factory.

In a way, I think this is partly because Porsches are being made in larger numbers and the customer base wants a way to achieve a higher degree of exclusivity in their vehicle, but that doesn't really distract from the main point that tasteful customization is great for all involved.

My comment was merely to offer my interpretation of what I believe Dan was implying when he called the carbon fiber interior pieces "plastic" and for me, at least, this is precisely where I trip over that niggling word "tasteful" above.

Here's where we take a detour off into my personal preference, and it's probably going to be a bit scrolly...

Mazda used to have a great slogan for their Miata: "Everything you want in a sports car and nothing you don't" and I think it does a great job embodying my perspective on "fake" carbon fiber interior bits. I adore carbon fiber -- it's a phenomenal material. When automakers utilize carbon fiber to construct parts which would otherwise be metal and much heavier it's a triumph of engineering and only serves to make a better car. It's great, great stuff and (as you say) pretty cool to look at. The carbon fiber GT3 seats are pretty freakin' awesome.

However -- I completely balk when I see carbon fiber employed as decoration. It feels sort of dishonest and gratuitous to me. It reminds me of those fake, cosmetic side grills on my old M Roadster that didn't actually do anything. It reminds me of a giant wing on the back of a front wheel drive car that doesn't need any rear downforce. It reminds me of phony boost gauges mounted on the a pillar of a normally-aspirated car. To me, carbon fiber interior is a lot like this and nothing at all like this.

You say you dislike the stock plastic pieces? Well, to my eyes the carbon fiber trim is just shiny plastic. The "carbon fiber" serves no function and that alone turns it ugly in my mind.

Take the rear wing on a GT3-RS -- it's a gorgeous, vulgar thing that fits perfectly with the overall car. Pure car porn, if you ask me (and I realize that nobody actually asked me ) Now imagine taking that same wing, building it out of heavier materials, and bolting it on to the back a Maserati. It would look ridiculous. It would look silly. It would look dishonest and out of place. That's my reaction when I see the carbon fiber veneer interior trim pieces in a car. It encourages me to call it "fake" or "plastic" to highlight the fact that it's not functional and they're not necessary. I'd hate to think that anyone out there misunderstands and thinks that they're getting true carbon fiber, or that there's any sort of weight savings that can be achieved with that sort of thing. When you allude to "...as in what the majority of construction on all Formula 1 cars...." you're fostering that suspension of disbelief. You're implying that there's somehow a relationship between a weight-reduced chassis and a plastic gear shift knob with a veneer of carbon fiber glued to it.

If you like the way it looks, great -- fill your car with veneer. It's certainly no crazier than the guys who go for "natural leather ashtray lining" or "suspension bushings painted to exterior color". It's your cash and you're the one who needs to love and enjoy the car. There's no accounting for taste.

I'm just offering up the counter viewpoint, although I recognize there's nothing productive to come from debating style.

Quote:
    Now if Porsche only made the back of the adaptive sport seats in Carbon Fiber like the racing seats they just came out w/ on the GT2 I'd be all set.

Calling up Suncoast and buying a set of lightweight GT2 racing seats: huge win.

Gluing carbon fiber wallpaper to the back of a set of sport adaptive seats: ewwwww.

Even if it looked exactly the same, one would thrill me and one would repulse me. I guess that's the crux of my point, right there.

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I disagree with you entirely.

Actually, we don't really disagree much at all. Let me clarify...

I didn't for a moment intend to say that I thought someone was being foolish by adding carbon fiber trim pieces in their car. Like you, I relish the wealth of options and customizations that Porsche offers when configuring a car and I think it's absolutely brilliant that such a broad range of styles and options emerge from the Porsche factory.

In a way, I think this is partly because Porsches are being made in larger numbers and the customer base wants a way to achieve a higher degree of exclusivity in their vehicle, but that doesn't really distract from the main point that tasteful customization is great for all involved.

My comment was merely to offer my interpretation of what I believe Dan was implying when he called the carbon fiber interior pieces "plastic" and for me, at least, this is precisely where I trip over that niggling word "tasteful" above.

Here's where we take a detour off into my personal preference, and it's probably going to be a bit scrolly...

Mazda used to have a great slogan for their Miata: "Everything you want in a sports car and nothing you don't" and I think it does a great job embodying my perspective on "fake" carbon fiber interior bits. I adore carbon fiber -- it's a phenomenal material. When automakers utilize carbon fiber to construct parts which would otherwise be metal and much heavier it's a triumph of engineering and only serves to make a better car. It's great, great stuff and (as you say) pretty cool to look at. The carbon fiber GT3 seats are pretty freakin' awesome.

However -- I completely balk when I see carbon fiber employed as decoration. It feels sort of dishonest and gratuitous to me. I reminds me of those fake, cosmetic side grills on my old M Roadster that didn't actually do anything. It reminds me of a giant wing on the back of a front wheel drive car that doesn't need any rear downforce. It reminds me of phony boost gauges mounted on the a pillar of a normally-aspirated car. To me, carbon fiber interior is a lot like this and nothing at all like this.

You say you dislike the stock plastic pieces? Well, to my eyes the carbon fiber trim is just shiny plastic. The "carbon fiber" serves no function and that alone turns it ugly in my mind.

Take the rear wing on a GT3-RS -- it's a gorgeous, vulgar thing that fits perfectly with the overall car. Pure car porn, if you ask me (and I realize that nobody actually asked me ) Now imagine taking that same wing, building it out of heavier materials, and bolting it on to the back a Maserati. It would look ridiculous. It would look silly. It would look dishonest and out of place. That's my reaction when I see the carbon fiber veneer interior trim pieces in a car. It encourages me to call it "fake" or "plastic" to highlight the fact that it's not functional and they're not necessary. I'd hate to think that anyone out there misunderstands and thinks that they're getting true carbon fiber, or that there's any sort of weight savings that can be achieved with that sort of thing. When you allude to "...as in what the majority of construction on all Formula 1 cars...." you're fostering that suspension of disbelief. You're implying that there's somehow a relationship between a weight-reduced chassis and a plastic gear shift knob with a veneer of carbon fiber glued to it.

If you like the way it looks, great -- fill your car with veneer. It's certainly no crazier than the guys who go for "natural leather ashtray lining" or "suspension bushings painted to exterior color". It's your cash and you're the one who needs to love and enjoy the car. There's no accounting for taste.

I'm just offering up the counter viewpoint, although I recognize there's nothing productive to come from debating style.

Quote:
    Now if Porsche only made the back of the adaptive sport seats in Carbon Fiber like the racing seats they just came out w/ on the GT2 I'd be all set.

Calling up Suncoast and buying a set of lightweight GT2 racing seats: huge win.

Gluing carbon fiber wallpaper to the back of a set of sport adaptive seats: ewwwww.

Even if it looked exactly the same, one would thrill me and one would repulse me. I guess that's the crux of my point, right there.

Geez, I thought I wrote novels.. LoL!! I guess we can agree to disagree. But you didnt answer my question - What's in your 911? If you had some sort of lightweight, stronger than the stock plastic material then I guess I'd consider it better than the avialable Carbon Fiber pieces from Porsche but if it's just the stock plastic, like I said IMO the Carbon Fiber option pieces are still a lot nicer. And much nicer than painting them exterior colors etc. You make it sound like the Carbon Fiber options are just painted on to look like Carbon Fiber which they are not, it's still real Carbon Fiber. So if the manufacturing process were different it would make all the sense to you in the world. Okay, I get it. Not really but whatever. No but I do, you want to split hairs between carbon fiber used as a functional element vs one that is used for cosmetic purposes. The cosmetic carbon fiber would be the good type if it was used to make a part lighter or stronger but when it's used strictly as an aesthetic material its bad! So what does that mean for the aluminum options, real or otherwise? Honestly I think you're taking your theories too seriously. I mean there's lots of CF pieces in the high performance cars above that could probably just as easily been regular plastic but it's sometimes it's CF for cosmetic purposes. It's done because the stuff looks cool. IMO it gives the turbo's interior a much sportier, high tech look, sure it's expensive but imo the look is worth it.

Putting in Carbon Fiber GT2 seats in a Turbo Cabrio is like putting an elevator in an outhouse it just doesnt belong. IMO racing seats like the Carbon Fiber ones in the GT2 are suitable for a GT2 or even GT3 but we all know the Turbo Cabrio isn't that type of car. I guess I'd feel the same way about that, as you feel about Porsche's Carbon Fiber.

But I agree, there's no "accounting for taste". It's like when I see Rosso Corsa colored 997's. I guess everyone has their own personal preferences. Just funnin w/ you.

Took this shot myself.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690554 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409807 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256048 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235284 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858479 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774754 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM