Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

which is most fun?

Ignoring fastest 0-60, bhp, torque, ring time etc etc. Which porsche provides the most driver involvement and fun?

I've recently driven a boxster 2.7 and cayman S. Not as powerful as my 911 but dare I say that I think I actually has more fun. The boxster was definitely underpowered but I was able to "ring its neck out" and loved it's light weight and balance throught the corners. The Cayman redressed the power problem and added the best steering and chassis I have driven this side of a Ferrari plus it made a great noise, even without sports exhaust.

What have you tried and learnt?

Re: which is most fun?

I'd say that for me, it's a VERY close call between the 997TT and the 997 GT3. I've driven both and both are fun for different reasons. Believe me, I've driven them hard under ideal conditions.

I also had a chance to try the Boxster/Cayman out at the Porsche driving school. I'd say that both could be "fun" too but its really a personal taste. And this "personal taste" to me means that either the 997TT or the GT3 comes into play. To me, the "fun factor" gets elevated when given the opportunity to drive a car hard through a series of twisties. Power levels, handling abilities and overall feel all adds up to the fun factor for me.

This is all very subjective once you get to a question of "fun".

However, here are my thoughts.

Cayman and Boxster (S versions, haven't driven the non-S) - Great handling - phenomenal in fact - but somewhat lacking in that the fun of managing and exploiting high horsepower/torque is missing. Given a great deal more horsepower, these would both be an absolute blast. But, for now, kind of underpowered.

At the extreme end, the 997 Turbo is spectacular because of the massive power. However, the AWD and relatively large weight seems to reduce the "fun" factor for me. It's tempting, but it seems a good deal less involving than the lighter, RWD 997 variants. Still, that much thrust has a charm of its own.

The non-turbo AWD 997 models really don't do it for me. Fantastic cars, very confidence inspiring. However, they lack a lot of the driver involvement of the RWD 997 models, but without the extreme power of the Turbo. Not the most fun, but probably the best overall transportation. Great balance between usability and excitement ... just not my cup of tea.

The RWD 997S is what I find most interesting. Great feel, lots of power (though certainly not up to the level of the Turbo), classic RWD/Rear Engine dynamics. Very livable day-to-day. Great on the road, very good on the track.

GT3/GT3RS ... I haven't tried either yet. But, I bet if I did, based on what others have told me, these might be the optimal in terms of "fun". The 996GT3s that I drove were great, but were compromised on the road as daily drivers. It sounds like the 997 GT3 has made huge strides in terms of day-in-day-out use. They also seem like a relative bargain financially compared to the Turbo. I'm afraid to try the GT3 because it might make me want to switch.

Finally, I'm betting the GT2 is the one that finally makes me consider a switch. It's all speculation right now since obviously none of us have ever driven one, but this is likely going to be an absolute beast. Of course, if I'm recalling correctly, this is going to be getting close to $200k ... that's a lot of $ to expose to daily driver duty.

I get tired of having fun in my 986s; especially when the top has to go up. When that happens I like to have fun solving problems, e.g. ditsy drivers in front of me, by hitting the gas on my Turbo.

Though titilating, my 986s never scares me; exhilarating at times it's always within reason. From what I hear the TT can make you soil yourself and still be within reasonable operating limits (gotta get it on a track to find out for myself).

trying to figure out this "fun" vs. "thrill" factor, I always go back to Porsche Guru Karl Ludvigsen having said as far as Porsche's driver's cars go the Boxster is "Porsche's _masterpiece_."

Quote:
    TimN said:
    This is all very subjective once you get to a question of "fun".

However, here are my thoughts.

Cayman and Boxster (S versions, haven't driven the non-S) - Great handling - phenomenal in fact - but somewhat lacking in that the fun of managing and exploiting high horsepower/torque is missing. Given a great deal more horsepower, these would both be an absolute blast. But, for now, kind of underpowered.

At the extreme end, the 997 Turbo is spectacular because of the massive power. However, the AWD and relatively large weight seems to reduce the "fun" factor for me. It's tempting, but it seems a good deal less involving than the lighter, RWD 997 variants. Still, that much thrust has a charm of its own.

The non-turbo AWD 997 models really don't do it for me. Fantastic cars, very confidence inspiring. However, they lack a lot of the driver involvement of the RWD 997 models, but without the extreme power of the Turbo. Not the most fun, but probably the best overall transportation. Great balance between usability and excitement ... just not my cup of tea.

The RWD 997S is what I find most interesting. Great feel, lots of power (though certainly not up to the level of the Turbo), classic RWD/Rear Engine dynamics. Very livable day-to-day. Great on the road, very good on the track.

GT3/GT3RS ... I haven't tried either yet. But, I bet if I did, based on what others have told me, these might be the optimal in terms of "fun". The 996GT3s that I drove were great, but were compromised on the road as daily drivers. It sounds like the 997 GT3 has made huge strides in terms of day-in-day-out use. They also seem like a relative bargain financially compared to the Turbo. I'm afraid to try the GT3 because it might make me want to switch.

Finally, I'm betting the GT2 is the one that finally makes me consider a switch. It's all speculation right now since obviously none of us have ever driven one, but this is likely going to be an absolute beast. Of course, if I'm recalling correctly, this is going to be getting close to $200k ... that's a lot of $ to expose to daily driver duty.

+1

I couldn't have said it better myself - especially the bit about 'I'm afraid to try a 997GT3 because it might make me want to switch'!

What amazes me is how good the Boxster S 3.4 is. And to think that Porsche developed the original 986 2.7 when it was financially struggling for survival. Talk about engineering genius on a tight budget.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    What amazes me is how good the Boxster S 3.4 is. And to think that Porsche developed the original 986 2.7 when it was financially struggling for survival. Talk about engineering genius on a tight budget.

Agreed! As good as the Boxster/Cayman is right now, I'd love to see what it would be like with about +100 HP. Such a great chassis with about 400 HP ... I think that could possibly make it a real rival to the Ferrari 430.

Easy, the original Boxster was even equipped with a tiny 2.5 L 204 hp engine
    And stay away from the GT3 - it's worse than any other drug. One shot and you're lost forever

I agree with what has been said before - driving fun and involvement is all subjective.

What I have found while trying to better understand the differences in the P line-up is simply that there is no P-model which is able to cover all my (different) interpretations of "driving fun". I'm afraid one P-car just isn't enough

For the time being my wishlist looks like follows:

1.) Daily Driver
    987S - cab fun and almost go-kart like handling in one car.
    I just love it Yes, it could use more HP, but I rarely use it on the Autobahn and on the track I actually like to be the "underdog" (better for my ego to shine in the BoxsterS than to look like a fool in a GT2)
    If more comfort- and Autobahn-oriented a 997S would be the right choice.

2.) Something for the heart
    An aircooled 3.2 Carrera or even SC is incredible fun to drive and these oldies wake the greatest emotions in me (finally I didn't dream of a 997 when I was a teenager)

3.) Something for the track
    997 GT3/RS for sure - one really can feel that these babies are made "ready to race"

As a "hybrid" (daily driver + occasional track duty) a 997S equipped with -20mm/LSD, Shortshifter, X51 would be a good choice IMO

As I do not need the tiny rear seats, a GT3 non-CS could take that role also.

But then I'll miss the cab fun - I can deliberate as long as I want, one is just not enough

Quote:
    TimN said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Agreed! As good as the Boxster/Cayman is right now, I'd love to see what it would be like with about +100 HP.

Well, RUF offers a 400 HP BoxsterS which still is a bit cheaper than a 997 cab Though I'm not sure wether I'd like the engine's character (kompressor engine), as I generally prefer N/A engines in a sportscar

2.7 RS

The original version back in 1972 was and is probably the most fun you can have in a Porsche. The steering is light and feelsome. The engine pulls like a train with such light weight. And it handles very nicely in the dry, but a little skittishly in the wet.

Current models are like sport utes by comparison.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

Well, RUF offers a 400 HP BoxsterS which still is a bit cheaper than a 997 cab Though I'm not sure wether I'd like the engine's character (kompressor engine), as I generally prefer N/A engines in a sportscar

I remember reading a review in Excellence about 400+ Boxster and it wasn't a great review (forgot details).

_THAT'S_ why I'm apparently mentally defective and dreaming about the day Porsche "updates" the 911 with a mid-engined 500+hp V8!

I have been a Turbo owner since 1994 from single turbo's to twin turbo's and just love them. However a GT3 is more fun to drive as it talks more to the diver, it makes you feel as if your body is part of the car. To me this feeling is not as strongly felt with the TT. I love my TT and would not consider a GT3 to replace it but as an additional car it would be gr8. The torque and massive power of the TT crushes other P-cars so badly, that is something I can not look away from. If you are looking just for fun, Boxter S and the Cayman S are fantastic cars, well balanced with gr8 performance but next to the TT they are like dolphins before the killer whale

Some really great posts here with some wonderful insights into what gets different Rennteamers' juices flowing

@Porsche-Jeck: thanks for correcting my error It makes the original 986 seem even more impressive considering how it captured the interest of so many since it was first launched. The great achievement has been how PAG has retained/rekindled that interest over time. Great product development backed up by savvy marketing

Quote:
    MMD said:
    _THAT'S_ why I'm apparently mentally defective and dreaming about the day Porsche "updates" the 911 with a mid-engined 500+hp V8!

Sounds like a future F-customer

I've driven a few early Boxsters, a 911 Cab, and have driven the Cayman S often. I'd say that for just cruising around, their is nothing that beats the Cab.
    The sound of that raspy flat-6 burbling behind you, and barking on downshifts, is just awesome.

That said, I do find the Cayman S more precise in driving, and it feels "safer" going around corners. (At least for me, I'm pretty new to Porsche driving). I like that I can punch it mid-corner in the Cayman and not feel like the back was coming out, only that I was being pushed around the corner.

The boxsters are great cars too, no doubt about it. I love how they feel small, and nimble. Makes me almost forget about the corners of the car, like i'm in a thin little go kart or something. I'm definitely a fan of the Boxsters, they are a blast to drive, but I think they could definitely use more power. The sound is perfect, but the power could definitely be upped.

If someone gave me the keys to one of them, I would have to take the 911 Cab though, I don't plan on racing any time soon.

Someone asked me a similar question today, I said my Boxster S was more fun than my Turbo. Nothing, so far, beats driving the Boxster with the top down on a twisty road with the PSE screaming behind your back. It is just pure fun!

Porsche-Jeck, Sportec offers a 4.1l conversion for the 3.4l engine. N/A, 405HP @ 7300RPM and 420Nm @ 6150RPM. I think this is where fun becomes FUN!

Just got back from proving this,--S Cabriolet with PSE on and top down, on Old San Marcos Pass road, Santa Barbara county.

Dan

Turbo Cabriolet.

no..the question was not heaviest...most fun.

Thus GT3/GT3RS/GT2....

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Sounds like a future F-customer

LOL. Nah. Refusing to be _extorted_ on simple maintenance costs I can't buy a Ferrari.

Now, the extremely expensive maintenance costs of Porsches are another story.

Would be frickin' Heaven to have a "Boxster" that's beefier, massively improved, very good-looking. Call it the "Verrera" (V8-Carrera).

Quote:
    TimN said:

Amen. The very reasone I bought a 997S was the combination you talk about. We are on the same page. As far as extreme fun factor...my bet is the GT2..if you can afford a GT2 then you can afford the daipers too...scary ride !!!!

I have driven a few nice 911 variants including a 997 C2S, and a 3.2 carrera when it was brand new. They were all a lot of fun and very exciting.

Everyone talks about sound, I believe that sound is the most important element of the driving experience. I have a unique custom exhaust which creates a sound that is out of this world. I have not heard a better sounding car, but some are damn close.

The 928 does not have any drivers aids like PASM so it is more raw with instant torque. Driving this 928 is just a blast and it is the most confidence inspiring car you can imagine. As solid as a tank.

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Someone asked me a similar question today, I said my Boxster S was more fun than my Turbo. Nothing, so far, beats driving the Boxster with the top down on a twisty road with the PSE screaming behind your back. It is just pure fun!

Porsche-Jeck, Sportec offers a 4.1l conversion for the 3.4l engine. N/A, 405HP @ 7300RPM and 420Nm @ 6150RPM. I think this is where fun becomes FUN!

Interesting comment and a very nice combo with the Turbo playing the role of GT. Another good combo would be Cayman S with Turbo Cab.

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:
    Quote:
    bluelines said:

Interesting comment and a very nice combo with the Turbo playing the role of GT. Another good combo would be Cayman S with Turbo Cab.

F430 w/ Turbo Cab.

After driving all of them, boxster cayman, cayman S, 997c2s, 997 c4s, 997 turbo and 997GT3, the most fun is without question the GT3.

I also prefer the feel of a 997c2s over the boxster because it's no a mid engine as the boxster/cayman are. You can definitly feel the weight at the back, wich amuse/scare you, from one corner to another. The mid engine one are good fun, but are just too stable, too safe IMO. The turbo is a lot of fun but is not as wild as the GT3.

I love the craziness of the GT3. I love to be a bit scared too. I'm talking about the good scare, the one that keeps you alive and entertain. Each time I remember my first drive in the gt3, I end up with a smile on my face. I'm smiling right now, just writing this post.

You made me think of my GT3 experience. Thank you for that. And still smiling

I get a lot of fun out of driving and autocrossing my 964C2

Simply...........

Cayman S (better drivers car) or Boxster S (more fun with the roof down)
    &
    997 GT3

depending on your budget!

i would vote for the GT3 at this time as well...

Top down doubles the fun so Boxster or 997S Cab. I've never driven the Boxster because I'm 6'7" so my obvious vote is the 997S Cab. -but it would be nice to have the power kit.

My GT3 is fun, but it can get rather scary quickly at the same time. Most fun - my '94 turbo although I am tempted to try a 997 cab someday.

Quote:
    bluelines said:

Thanks for the hint, bluelines I wasn't aware of the Sportec package - I'll gather some more infos about it.
    Hope you are blessed with the same "Indian Summer" like over here to enjoy the top down fun in your 987S . I had something like the perfect Boxey-Sunday yesterday : 2.5 hrs spin on the twisting Eifel roads with the top down, 2.5 hrs walk in the colourful forrest around a vulcano lake and finally some laps on my favourite toll road in the golden fall evening sun - just perfect

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689553 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409229 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255739 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857973 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774033 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM