Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Drove a 997 GT3 today, could do with some advice

Just need a little advice really.

I went to see a GT3 tonight, one I was hoping (and still hoping) to buy. I should find out tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

I have a few questions and was hoping someone could provide some help if you wouldn't mind.

1. The clutch was quite a bit stiffer than my C2S, does it ease at all.

2. The car seemed to idle fairly erratically. Not to the extent there was much movement on the rev counter needle, in fact it didn't move much but the engine sounded like it was hunting, slowing down on tick over etc etc. Is this normal?

3. Last one. The gear change was "very" notchy. You could really feel a distinct sharp edge to the gear change. It did get better as the engine warmed. Is this also the norm?

Thanks all...

Re: Drove a 997 GT3 today, could do with some advice

Aside from your questions, how did you like it overall?

Re: Drove a 997 GT3 today, could do with some advi

Okay, where do I start?

What surprised me initially was how comfortable the ride was. In fact no worse than my C2S with or without PASM on which certainly made me believe what people have said about being able to use the car as a daily driver if you really wanted to (albeit the clutch caused me a little concern, due to an old war wound), however, a hardship I guess I could live with.

The GT3 felt less woolly than my C2S on the road. Obvious statement I know but it was so noticeable. It certainly was more planted, this soon made me forget my slight nervousness and the fact it was someone else's car, it just filled me with confidence, not too much though as it isn't mine....yet. Might need to get the alignment checked on mine again as the front end feels much lighter than the GT3. Could be tyre pressures I suppose that but it was again noticeable to make me think there could be an issue with mine.

Once warmed up, 8,500 rpm was never far away, but unfortunately it wasn't really the time or place to "enjoy" the car as it was early evening and the Speed Cameras were ready as ever. Pressing the Sport Button brought a sound from the exhaust to behold. So much louder than the PSE on my C2S and the fact that the car would rev to 8,500 made the noise even more addictive, it really did. I started grinning again as I believe I have just got used to the PSE on mine.

I felt I had to rev the car more than the C2S for instance to set off from standing start. This is likely due to my having a weakened left leg from a past motorcycle accident but I soon started to master it. I'm looking at the stiffened clutch as perhaps a workout for my leg which is a good thing as I never have time for the gym anyway.

I am slightly concerned at how "notchy" the gear change was. It felt like I was in a race car where you really feel the gear change happen. I wasn't in the car for that long, perhaps 30 minutes and the gear change did get better but it was still quite an uncomfortable change. I could really do with knowing if this is typical of the GT3 and not just this one I drove today.

Overall, I loved it. It is however, a more focused car and I think you could get annoyed / disillusioned with running it every day and using it as your daily driver, this feeling exacerbated by the gear change and clutch stiffness for me so not necessarily an issue for most.

What I do know is that I need to test drive another 997 GT3 to compare them and as soon as possible before I commit to a purchase, but either way I'm not being put off for now.

1. & 3. will get lighter/smoother with use.

2. normal.

Notchy gear change and hard clutch was the reason for me to walk away from GT3 and buy a TT. Not mention the power of the TT is so much more noticeable and I never track my car. I was so set on the GT3 but all together TT was the way to go for me.

How many miles/km were on the test car you drove?

With time the shifter is much smoother and the clutch gets lighter (or maybe your left leg gets stronger and you just get used to it).

Do not let the clutch and shifting dissuade you from a GT3. It only gets better with break in.

With regard to the erratic idle (and other weird noises), you just get used to it. Part of the character of the car.

Thanks for the nice review - good luck on the purchase

good

Thank you for the write-up
    What tires was on the GT3 you drove?

I doubt the clutch or the shift will get meaningfully lighter over time. A little perhaps, but not enough to alter their inherent character and feel. You will however get more used to it and find it less of an issue (if it is one today). I spent 2 weeks in my GT3 in Europe on factory collection and then got back into my old 997S. The difference was huge but in the end it was the GT3 which felt 'right'. The rough idle seems to be normal for the car.

Besides my 2006 X51 Carrera S, I drive daily a 1987 3.2L Carrera. How would that compare to today's GT3? I say, get the GT3 and you'll get used to it. Even though I haven't driven one, I cannot imagine how the GT3 can be any rougher than a 1987 911.

ResB, you painted the right picture, it is a culture shock to drive the GT3. I can confirm all the things you mentioned, so it must be typical. However, I only have 2300 km on mine so far (10 days of ownership) and the car seems to change with every drive, so the current state is not definite.

Even on warm days like these, the shift action is very unfriendly in the first ten minutes. On the other hand, the car seems to warm up pretty fast. The clutch seems very hard at first, but then you don't seem to notice after 30 minutes or so, and yes, your leg will benefit from it unless you have joint damage. You only really know how hard the clutch is after going back to a regular car. But then all regular cars seem like baby pedal cars after a drive in a car of GT3 caliber.

As for the engine, I am surprised to see what appears like 480 or 500 rpm idle. I expected the usual 800 rpm.
    For the idle itself, it is erratic and there is also a slight knocking sound, as if the piston pins had play. Of course, that is not the case.

In terms of RMS issues, my garage floor is completely clean and not one drop of oil so far.

The gear shifting is definitely stiff but very precise. It requires decisive and firm actions on your part for smooth shifting. Casual, relaxed shifting will more likely than not result in a notchy gear change. It takes about 30 minutes for the tramsmision and engine to warm up enough for everything to work better. My car went from notchy to smooth shifting after 3000mi. The idle is lumpy and that is part of the normal character of the car

Strong clutch...notchy transmission???

Try a Lamborghini Countach S for calibration on the strong clutch..the GT3 has well weighted controls.

CGT/GT2/GT3/RS - Pure Porsche. Anything else and you are compromising ....

YMMV...so be it.

GT3 is most likely not for you. All those things you ask about are some of the things that make this one of the best 911s ever. Test drive a Turbo, it will feel much more like your C2S but much (much) faster.

..just parked it in the garage...engine on cool down..echo of the guttural roar still pinging off the concrete..

last threads of feedback fading from the fingers..

GT3.

Gear change (and a lesser extent clutch) will improve with miles and familiarity.

Come along to Anglesey on 6th October. There will be at least a dozen 997RS's and GT3's for you to sample.

You need to experience the car in it's natural habitat. After that everything else will cease to matter!

Quote:
    doc2s said:
    1. & 3. will get lighter/smoother with use.

2. normal.

That's encouraging.

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Notchy gear change and hard clutch was the reason for me to walk away from GT3 and buy a TT. Not mention the power of the TT is so much more noticeable and I never track my car. I was so set on the GT3 but all together TT was the way to go for me.

It's good to see I wasn't the only one then. Unfortunately a TT is completely out of my reach. I'm having to sell the family silver and force my family to eat bread and water for a while to get the GT3. It would have been a possibility if I could have afforded one.

Quote:
    NeverFastEnough said:
    How many miles/km were on the test car you drove?

With time the shifter is much smoother and the clutch gets lighter (or maybe your left leg gets stronger and you just get used to it).

Do not let the clutch and shifting dissuade you from a GT3. It only gets better with break in.

With regard to the erratic idle (and other weird noises), you just get used to it. Part of the character of the car.

The car had 5,000 miles on it. (4,000 in the advert) which should have been enough to bed the in the gear change, but perhaps not. I need to have a "proper" drive, not in traffic.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Thanks for the nice review - good luck on the purchase

Grant, unfortunately the deal isn't going to happen. Part-ex is not the way to go, I need to sell mine first.

Quote:
    WR said:
    good

Well it would have been if I could have secured it. But it was good, it really was.

Quote:
    temm said:
    Thank you for the write-up
    What tires was on the GT3 you drove?

Thanks. I'm a little embarrassed to be honest. I looked at the tyres and I was expecting them to say Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, but they just said Michelin Sport IIRC. In fact I'll post a link to the advert which shows the car in all it's glory albeit a little dirty.

Apparently the car belongs to an ex touring car driver. (cypriot nationality)

Quote:
    ddt said:
    I doubt the clutch or the shift will get meaningfully lighter over time. A little perhaps, but not enough to alter their inherent character and feel. You will however get more used to it and find it less of an issue (if it is one today). I spent 2 weeks in my GT3 in Europe on factory collection and then got back into my old 997S. The difference was huge but in the end it was the GT3 which felt 'right'. The rough idle seems to be normal for the car.

Just goes to show I need a longer more spirited drive.

Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    Besides my 2006 X51 Carrera S, I drive daily a 1987 3.2L Carrera. How would that compare to today's GT3? I say, get the GT3 and you'll get used to it. Even though I haven't driven one, I cannot imagine how the GT3 can be any rougher than a 1987 911.

It's a long time since I have driven an older Porsche but remember the clutch pedal was pushed into the floor and not horizontally, and yes, that was difficult in traffic. Certainly harder than the GT3 anyway.

Quote:
    MarekN said:
    ResB, you painted the right picture, it is a culture shock to drive the GT3. I can confirm all the things you mentioned, so it must be typical. However, I only have 2300 km on mine so far (10 days of ownership) and the car seems to change with every drive, so the current state is not definite.

Even on warm days like these, the shift action is very unfriendly in the first ten minutes. On the other hand, the car seems to warm up pretty fast. The clutch seems very hard at first, but then you don't seem to notice after 30 minutes or so, and yes, your leg will benefit from it unless you have joint damage. You only really know how hard the clutch is after going back to a regular car. But then all regular cars seem like baby pedal cars after a drive in a car of GT3 caliber.

As for the engine, I am surprised to see what appears like 480 or 500 rpm idle. I expected the usual 800 rpm.
    For the idle itself, it is erratic and there is also a slight knocking sound, as if the piston pins had play. Of course, that is not the case.

In terms of RMS issues, my garage floor is completely clean and not one drop of oil so far.

You are one lucky guy. Must be a great 10 days you've had. I loved the baby pedal car comment and know exactly what you mean. Mine felt like that after my 30 minute session.

Quote:
    DrQiman said:
    The gear shifting is definitely stiff but very precise. It requires decisive and firm actions on your part for smooth shifting. Casual, relaxed shifting will more likely than not result in a notchy gear change. It takes about 30 minutes for the tramsmision and engine to warm up enough for everything to work better. My car went from notchy to smooth shifting after 3000mi. The idle is lumpy and that is part of the normal character of the car

I think you're right. I guess I wasn't focussed enough in my test drive but it's good to see most are confirming these traits.

Quote:
    BMCG said:

CGT/GT2/GT3/RS - Pure Porsche. Anything else and you are compromising ....

Lol, couldn't agree more.

Quote:
    tocho1 said:
    GT3 is most likely not for you. All those things you ask about are some of the things that make this one of the best 911s ever. Test drive a Turbo, it will feel much more like your C2S but much (much) faster.

No no no, don't say that.... I take your point though. I believe in fate....I think...lol

Quote:
    BMCG said:
    ..just parked it in the garage...engine on cool down..echo of the guttural roar still pinging off the concrete..

last threads of feedback fading from the fingers..

GT3.

Stop it....it isn't big or funny to mock one's fellow enthusiast...

Quote:
    ScottL said:
    Gear change (and a lesser extent clutch) will improve with miles and familiarity.

Come along to Anglesey on 6th October. There will be at least a dozen 997RS's and GT3's for you to sample.

You need to experience the car in it's natural habitat. After that everything else will cease to matter!

What's happening in Anglesey? It's only about 175 miles from me and if someone want's to let me "sample" their GT3/RS then I'm sure I can afford the time and petrol expenses.

Thanks for all the comments guys, but I've missed this one unfortunately but....I have another in the pipeline. Check out the one I went to see on the following link.

The fifth one down (2007 PORSCHE 911 GT3 GT3 2dr [997] Gt Coupe (private))

Quote:
    ResB said:What's happening in Anglesey?

A bunch of us GT3/RS owners have organised a trackday. Should be a lot of fun. Not sure you get to drive anyones car but you'll have no problem getting px laps.

Alternatively come along to Donington on 24/10.

One correction on the idle rpm, I read the tach wrong, so if I understand it correctly now, it seems to hover between 700 and 800 rpm.

I started to redline it yesterday with 2500 km on the clock. It felt a little hesitant at first at the top, but after a three hour drive in the mountains, that also changed noticeably. I don't want to start another break-in thread, since there are about five different approaches I have counted so far. I took the one that seemed most "organic" for the car given the circumstances.

Cheers Scott. My comments were a little tongue in cheek as I wouldn't let anyone drive my GT3/RS on the track either.

Donnington might be an option for me, I could be the official Photographer for the day.

Scott - where in Anglesey and what time is this event?

Could get there as a spectator, maybe.... thanks.

Pretty much everything you said about your test drive is true of my GT3, but I have only 700 miles.

I've gotten used to the clutch and stiff shifter, but I notice both each time I drive after several days out of the car.

The GT3 is definitely not for everyone.

all the things you mentioned are characteristics of a true sports car... the gearbox will ease up as the car gets warmer, so will the clutch with time... the engine idles that way as all the past GT3s and GT1... all becomes more smooth with time, but it will never feel like a C2, otherwise it wouldn't be a GT3

Quote:
    ResB said:Donington might be an option for me, I could be the official Photographer for the day.

Sounds good. See you there!

Quote:
    John H said:
    Scott - where in Anglesey and what time is this event?

Could get there as a spectator, maybe.... thanks.

Saturday 6th October.

Details on http://www.angleseycircuit.com/

Come and say hello John.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688164 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408540 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255472 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234692 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65327 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM