Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

991.2 Carrera GTS Convertible (2018) - Short Review

When I finally got rid of my 991.1 Turbo S and ordered a 991.1 Carrera 4 GTS Convertible instead, I was a very happy person because I got bored of the Turbo S sound and the annoying turbo lag and I was looking forward to the mesmerizing 991.1 GTS n/a sound, even at the cost of a much worse performance.

My first 991.2 Carrera S test-drive left me a bit confused because the car wasn't as bad as I thought. Yes, there still was a turbo lag but the sound was OK (and definitely much better than the sound of my former Turbo S) and the traction issues, there weren't many, were manageable. Still, I preferred the 991.1 at that time because of the better throttle/engine response and the nicer sound.

A short while ago, my dealer proposed a deal I couldn't refuse, probably also because the 991.1 GTS models are still in high demand but also because the 992 is coming next year and dealers also need to make deals before the new year approaches, quotas and all. Not that I really cared, I was happy to get such a good deal.

QUGTS1.jpg

Car is actually equipped with black LED lights but they look lighter here than they are because of the ceiling lights.

My dealer wasn't sure I actually want this deal because it would also mean saying good-bye to that fantastic n/a sound and throttle/engine response but I already have a fantastic n/a engine car, my R8 V10 Plus and why should I lie, I just wanted to try something new, even if I already knew the 991.2...at least this is what I thought (and I was wrong).

The 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet I got is nicely specced, including rear wheel steering (to be honest, without RWS, I wouldn't have taken this car). It also has the Sport Design package, which is basically only a differently shaped rear wing (see photo). It looks nice (and a bit cool) but I'm not sure most people even notice the difference.

QIMG_0197.jpg

The Alcantara interior has been changed vs the 991.1 GTS models, it has a nicer design and looks better in my opinion. It is a matter of taste of course but I like it a lot.

QIMG_0186.jpg

QIMG_0205.jpg

Seat backs are also leather, which is a must in a convertible because the usual silver plastic back doesn't look nice.

The new driving mode selector is something I needed to get used to but the learning curve isn't steep, you get used to it after a couple of minutes. Tops. The Sport Response button is a nice feature, not sure how much it improves performance (I wish a car magazine would have done some proper testing on it) but I guess you get an overboost (turbo chargers) as well for 20 seconds, which could definitely be nice when you need some extra power. Since the car is still in the break-in period, I didn't really have the chance to fully use it.

QIMG_0180.jpg

As always, the Alcantara steering wheel is and feels nice but I wish Porsche would make it a tiny bit thicker. Smiley

I am also glad Porsche chose to add a turbo boost gauge to the Carrera models, some manufacturers, like Mercedes, usually use only a simplified boost gauge without any numbers, which is annoying.

Speaking of the steering: The 991.2 Carrera GTS I got has the Power Steering Plus. I'm still not convinced I like it because even in Sport and Sport+ modes, the steering feels a bit too light in my opinion. You get used to it though and the steering precision doesn't suffer, it is very very good.

The chassis has a good setup but surprisingly, in sport mode, it feels less comfortable than my R8 V10 Plus chassis. Weird. Also, there is some side roll (my former 991.1 C4 GTS had PDCC, which did wonders in tight curves) but it is acceptable and may also be a little bit related to the winter tires I am driving right now (Pirelli Sottozero Winter N0).

The Pirelli winter tires work well with the 991.2 GTS, they offer enough traction and grip for the turbo power, which is surprising. I expected some serious traction issues but even on snow, we had some snow yesterday afternoon, the tires were excellent. For a RWD car, amazing.

The new biturbo Boxer engine is a treat I have to admit. It is powerful, almost feels like a small Turbo S but without that punch after you pass a certain rev figure. The power output and boost buildup is pretty linear and believe it or not, you actually need to rev high to achieve a proper performance. The massive torque is there, no doubt and it feels more powerful than the n/a engine in the 991.1 GTS but in reality, you need to rev high(er) to achieve a good performance. This is no torque monster like the Turbo S, where you get suddenly a hit in the back and the car rockets forward.

Actually, I like this setup a lot because it isn't your typical turbo charge engined feel but unfortunately, the engine still shows some serious turbo lag, especially in normal mode but also in Sport mode.  Once you keep the rev figure above 4000 rpm, the turbo lag is barely noticeable. 

Also, for the first time, I actually enjoy shifting manually again with PDK in a 911. PDK in the 991.2 works excellent, very fast, much better than in my former 991.1 GTS to my surprise. I also like the fact that it has now the manual shifting scheme (shifting lever) of the GT models. Forward shifts down and backwards shifts up. Perfect! Believe it or not but I only shift manually in my new 991.2 GTS, same as in my R8. It is fun. Smiley

Fuel consumption for the first 200 km was around 14 l / 100 km but keep in mind that I am still breaking in the car. I am pretty sure however that driving slow will result in a considerably lower fuel consumption than in my former 991.1 GTS. Driving full throttle on the Autobahn however could result in a much higher fuel consumption but it remains to be seen...I haven't tried it yet. Just a wild assumption on my experience with turbo charged cars.

The biggest surprise however is the...exhaust/engine sound. I don't know if Porsche has changed something or if this applies to the 991.2 GTS models only but my 991.2 Carrera GTS Convertible is...loud. Actually very loud. Not as loud as my R8 but believe it or not, the sound is louder (and more noticeable) than in a regular 991.1 Carrera model with PSE. Yes, in Sport mode, there are those sometimes annoying backfiring noises but the sound itself is typical 911 and again...loud. I am very very surprised! My son was so opposed to this car because he was afraid it would sound like the 991.2 Carrera S I tested last year but now he loves the car because, like me, he was positively surprised. 

QIMG_0162.jpg

Why couldn't Porsche make my former 991.1 Turbo S sound this way? I would have never ever given it away. Seriously.

Overall, I am very happy with my decision to get this car, I also appreciate the new PCM system a lot, even if the setup for Porsche Connect is more complicated than actually needed. You need to register and to fully use Porsche Connect, you need to print out a code and go to your dealer to have Connect activated. Not exactly the easiest way to do it.

I am looking forward to 12 happy months in this car and I am pretty sure that at the end of the lease, I will regret returning this car. Hopefully, Porsche gives the 992 the same exhaust sound they gave the 991.2 GTS because it is really really a good sound...for a turbo charged car. Kudos to them. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Re: 991.2 Carrera GTS Convertible (2018) - Short Review

Thanks for the real world review, always the best part on RT wink

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Great write up! kiss We seem to share the view on the GTS indecision Manual PDK shifting in Sport Plus mode is such a fun experience in this car.

Yes, it is loud, but I have been telling Carlos that for some time now indecision

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

that was part of the agreement from his dealer, give a good feedback on the sound of 991.2 turbo engine regular carreras smiley

I am happy to see some people find the sound interesting but I still struggle to follow the same path, I will soon be retired from buying new cars as I can't find any interest in this turbine noise...laugh I even stopped watching F1 the day they introduced those stupid V6 turbos angry

they are excellent cars, don't get me wrong but the law enforcement is really killing part of the emotion those special accessible sport cars can deliver. yes

keep sending reviews RC, always interesting to read other point of view.kiss

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 on order

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

the-missile:

that was part of the agreement from his dealer, give a good feedback on the sound of 991.2 turbo engine regular carreras smiley

No, seriously...no such agreement. I wish...(but I probably wouldn't do it anyway).

I am happy to see some people find the sound interesting but I still struggle to follow the same path, I will soon be retired from buying new cars as I can't find any interest in this turbine noise...laugh I even stopped watching F1 the day they introduced those stupid V6 turbos angry

In the case of the 991.2 GTS, I can assure you that it sounds pretty good...for a 6-cyl. turbo. Not that generic stupid V6 sound you hear in the M3/M4 or similar cars.

they are excellent cars, don't get me wrong but the law enforcement is really killing part of the emotion those special accessible sport cars can deliver. yes

True but this is the advantage of living in Germany...Autobahn...and a traffic police which gets serious only if you pass 20-30 kph over the speed limit. 

keep sending reviews RC, always interesting to read other point of view.kiss

Thank you. I would love to post reviews daily and much better ones but unfortunately I also have a real world job which feeds the family. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

bluelines:

Great write up! kiss We seem to share the view on the GTS indecision Manual PDK shifting in Sport Plus mode is such a fun experience in this car.

Yes, it is loud, but I have been telling Carlos that for some time now indecision

I was surprised as well but it seems to be the case in the GTS version only, Porsche improved the exhaust sound. Regular Carrera with PSE sounds good but not that good (or loud). 

--

Bluelines is right, great write-up!

I have had my 991.2 GTS Convertible since late ApriI and have to say that I truly enjoyed it this summer on many Alpine mountain passes. It is good-looking, fast and civilized...it is a completely different animal compared to my 991.1 GT3 RS. Track toy vs. real-world daily driver sports car.

Sure, it does not have the TTS punch (nor its excessive price tag or high weight), but IMHO it is the sweet spot of the 911 range.

I had a loaner the other day, 991.2 GTS conv., and I was disappointed with the sound...are we talking about „roof up“ or „down“ ? I had the roof up and barely noticed a change of sound in PSE on / off. Perhaps they gave me a mission E prototype?

Enjoy your turbo SmileySmileySmiley

RC:

Actually, I like this setup a lot because it isn't your typical turbo charge engined feel but unfortunately, the engine still shows some serious turbo lag, especially in normal mode but also in Sport mode.  Once you keep the rev figure above 4000 rpm, the turbo lag is barely noticeable. 

Thanks for the comprehensive write up Smiley. Perhaps the 992 will address this lag issue with electrification of some sort Smiley. Do you hear much turbo whine or does the exhaust sound drown it out? I hear a lot in the 488 Spider and the 720S. 

d997h:

I had a loaner the other day, 991.2 GTS conv., and I was disappointed with the sound...are we talking about „roof up“ or „down“ ? I had the roof up and barely noticed a change of sound in PSE on / off. Perhaps they gave me a mission E prototype?

Smiley The sound is good (and loud!), no matter if the top is down or up. 

All GTS are the same model year as far as I know, so I would be surprised if there are any technical differences.

--

crayphile:
    RC:

Thanks for the comprehensive write up Smiley. Perhaps the 992 will address this lag issue with electrification of some sort Smiley. Do you hear much turbo whine or does the exhaust sound drown it out? I hear a lot in the 488 Spider and the 720S. 

There is a bit of turbo whine at certain rev figures but not much. Overall, the sound is "rough" and 911-like. Completely different to the Turbo/Turbo S for example.

--

MKSGR:

Enjoy your turbo SmileySmileySmiley

Sounds much better than yours... Smiley

Btw: Get no wrong ideas, I still have my R8. Smiley

--

olli:

I have had my 991.2 GTS Convertible since late ApriI and have to say that I truly enjoyed it this summer on many Alpine mountain passes. It is good-looking, fast and civilized...it is a completely different animal compared to my 991.1 GT3 RS. Track toy vs. real-world daily driver sports car.

Sure, it does not have the TTS punch (nor its excessive price tag or high weight), but IMHO it is the sweet spot of the 911 range.

Porsche surely put a lot of effort into the 991.2 GTS, this is quite noticeable. 

I still think that 450 hp isn't enough to be ahead of the competition, 470-480 hp would have been perfect but this is Porsche...this is how they roll. Smiley 0-100 kph in 3.5 seconds, 0-200 kph in 12.1 seconds (according to a review), not bad for a car with 450 hp only. Smiley

--

RC:
    olli:

Porsche surely put a lot of effort into the 991.2 GTS, this is quite noticeable. 

I still think that 450 hp isn't enough to be ahead of the competition, 470-480 hp would have been perfect but this is Porsche...this is how they roll. Smiley 0-100 kph in 3.5 seconds, 0-200 kph in 12.1 seconds (according to a review), not bad for a car with 450 hp only. Smiley

I am quite happy with the performance given it laps the ring faster than a 991.1 GT3 and it has got rear sests Smiley No one really needs more performance than that Smiley

--

bluelines:
    RC:
    olli:

I am quite happy with the performance given it laps the ring faster than a 991.1 GT3 and it has got rear sests Smiley No one really needs more performance than that Smiley

Talk for your own level of eyesight.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

RC:
    olli:

Thanks for all the feedback, love that interior package Smiley

Best of luck luck with the car Smiley

bluelines:

Just curious, do you shift using the central lever as RC says he is now doing, or the paddles?  I ask because in our drive of a .2 recently my wife and I were disappointed that the paddles on the new steering wheel are much farther away from the rim than on our 997.  For those with small to medium hands, a manual shift needs a rotation of the wrist first, not just a movement of the fingers on a paddle.  No idea why Porsche made this change, which effectively negates the fast manual shifts possible with PDK.  RCs photo of his wheel shows how far in the new paddles are. 

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

I have relatively small hands and I use the paddle shifters without any issues. Actually, only now, I have been made aware (by your post) of such an issue. Smiley

--

4trac:
    bluelines:

Just curious, do you shift using the central lever as RC says he is now doing, or the paddles?  I ask because in our drive of a .2 recently my wife and I were disappointed that the paddles on the new steering wheel are much farther away from the rim than on our 997.  For those with small to medium hands, a manual shift needs a rotation of the wrist first, not just a movement of the fingers on a paddle.  No idea why Porsche made this change, which effectively negates the fast manual shifts possible with PDK.  RCs photo of his wheel shows how far in the new paddles are. 

I only shift with the paddles, I have small hands, but never came across the issue you describe.

997.2 and 991.1:

2010-my-997-turbo-paddle-shift-for-pdk.jpg

991.2:

1119555d1482529056_gt_sport_2_frankenwheel_transplant_to_1_c2s_pdk_photo25_ad3d579763515f2d5adaf5c66d3d24830a9e92f5.jpg

--

I thought you guys on RT were super butch. Now a couple are referring to admitting to having small hands,, come on..indecision.

Myself,, need I say, BIG HANDS, buddy..blush....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

- same thoughts.....but then we somehow knew indecision

BjoernB:

Haha,,, I can drive my kitten full pelt with one of my big hands and do my make up at the same time with the other Smiley Smiley..

It appears "chest hair" on RT is a thing of the past Smiley..

Christian, lovely ride mate. Hope your hands are big enough for the beast Smiley

Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:
    BjoernB:

Haha,,, I can drive my kitten full pelt with one of my big hands and do my make up at the same time with the other Smiley Smiley..

Christian, lovely ride mate. Hope your hands are big enough for the beast Smiley

Smiley

Thanks. Smiley My hands are probably smaller than yours but I make up for hand size with the amount of chest hair. Smiley

--

RC:
    throt:
    BjoernB:

Smiley

Thanks. Smiley My hands are probably smaller than yours but I make up for hand size with the amount of chest hair. Smiley

Haha,,

blue small hands Smiley, thats why he had that wee Cayman Smiley..

Having said that, in the GTS the kiddies, when they are older, can lean over and operate the paddles for him. He can say when to change Smiley Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Should I be worried?

As you may know, I got that special lease deal for my 991.2 Carrera GTS Cab but the old winter wheels from my previous 991.1 C4 GTS Cab didn't fit, so the dealer threw in a free set of new winter tires to sweeten the deal.

Now I noticed that the rims are actually wider than the tires (see photo) and I got doubts if using these winter tires on my summer rims is actually approved by Porsche? Will have to check on this, especially since it doesn't only look weird but there is also no rim "protection" through the tire, so I need to be super careful when I park.

F840A1AD-A7F2-4E74-B981-F7C27D4B8269.jpeg

--

RC:

Should I be worried?

As you may know, I got that special lease deal for my 991.2 Carrera GTS Cab but the old winter wheels from my previous 991.1 C4 GTS Cab didn't fit, so the dealer threw in a free set of new winter tires to sweeten the deal.

Now I noticed that the rims are actually wider than the tires (see photo) and I got doubts if using these winter tires on my summer rims is actually approved by Porsche? Will have to check on this, especially since it doesn't only look weird but there is also no rim "protection" through the tire, so I need to be super careful when I park.

F840A1AD-A7F2-4E74-B981-F7C27D4B8269.jpeg

--

That‘s one of the downsides of the center lock wheels: there is only one approved winter tire/rim combination approved by Porsche (based on the center lock design of the 991.1 turbo)p

Dealer claims Porsche allows this combo (295 winter tires on summer rims) but I have to check myself, I just cannot believe Porsche would "allow" such a look and the lack of rim protection.

This combo has one advantage though: The rear wheels look very wide (I was already wondering why rear axle looks wider than on my previous 991.1 C4 GTS), same as summer wheels because the rims are the same and have the same offset.

--

Don’t let your wife drive the car - if she is anything like my wife the rims will be scratched within seconds smiley

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

EnglishManInNY:

Don’t let your wife drive the car - if she is anything like my wife the rims will be scratched within seconds smiley

This is my biggest fear...she is a professional rim scratcher. Smiley Good thing is: She pays for her damage herself but it still is a pity. She is super careful when she parks but she already put a scratch on a black Sport Design Cayenne 21'' rim, so this is going to cost her when she returns the car (lease).

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM