Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Walter Röhrl about his fast lap in the GT2

Some interesting statements from WR (made during an interview published in the recent copy of 911 & Porsche World).

Enjoy

About his fast lap with the GT2 on the Ring:
    It's hazardous enough running development cars at maximum speed, and Walter recently had a close shave. "The next new car is the GT2. Recently, I was at the Nürburgring during Industry Week to make the final tests. It is always important to have a good laptime to tell the people - because that's what they always want to know - how quick is it around Nordschleife. Then they know if it is fast enough. All the test drivers were there, all the buddies, from Mercedes, BMW, Audi. Everybody knows the score: these guys are so fast that you don't have problems. I did my fast lap at 7m29s, the fastest lap a standard car has ever done, and I passed 11 cars. There was an Audi A3, and he was not watching his mirrors, and I passed him at 310 kph on Tiergarten, and he went sideways. It was so close! After that I told Porsche: It's finished with these fast cars, you cannot do this any more. Either you have a closed road or forget it, it's too dangerous now."

About developing the GT3/RS and it's performance
    "With standard cars like the GT3 it's always the small changes that make the difference. Normal people never reach this level of driving. But we are really trying to make the car driveable, 100 per cent. If I go, say 8m02s at Nürburgring, the car seems perfect. But if I go 7m59s, the same car seems loose."
    "If you go 90% the 997 GT3 and the GT3 RS are equal. At 100% the RS is quieter in the corners. That's because of the wing and the track is a little bit wider. The GT3 is really comfortable for such a car, not like the 964 RS, and so smooth over the bumps."

About the 997 TT
    "It's fantastic! You have comfort and the power of a racing car. But maybe it's a sign I'm getting old. If I'm going away with my wife maybe we have a discussion of which car to use, we take this one because it's got air-conditioning and it's quieter - not so hot. I don't have electrical seats or a back wiper, just to save a bit of weight."

About his 964 RS and the secret of fast cars
    "It weighs 1,150 kg, which is fantastic. You feel it on braking, on turning in - the secret of fast cars is low weight."

About the engine of his (sold) 3.2 Carrera
    "The 3.2 litre engine is the best that Porsche ever made, in my opinion."

About his car affection
    "I'm completely crazy about cars, and I really look after them. Even though I'm a rallye driver and I take cars over great big rocks and holes in the ground, on the road with my own car I even avoid small stones!"

Re: Walter Röhrl about his fast lap in the GT2

Nice read!

Yes I read it before and one thing, that cought my eye:
    "I did my fast lap at 7m29s, the fastest lap a standard car has ever done, and I passed 11 cars."

Weight reduction.

Hopefully Walter has ears in P upper management...

7.29, could this different because the course was open thus different layout?

Thank you for the great read !

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Weight reduction.

Hopefully Walter has ears in P upper management...

7.29, could this different because the course was open thus different layout?

Makes a lot of sense...

Quote:
    Boyko23 said:
    "I did my fast lap at 7m29s, the fastest lap a standard car has ever done, and I passed 11 cars."

Serial production car, the record for modified, street-legal, cars is at 07:15 min. The CarreraGT has never been officially timed, considering the fact that it is surely more demanding at the limit than the new GT2 this doesn't have to be a bad thing.

"It weighs 1,150 kg, which is fantastic. You feel it on braking, on turning in - the secret of fast cars is low weight."

Man, I sure hope Porsche is listening to him. I'm tired of every car I buy being fatter and heavier than my last one.

Wow, his time is even more remarkable now that we know he did it WITH traffic. Plus I guess we know his 7:29 is a BTG time now. Imagine if he had a closed off track with no traffic

His comment about the 997TT is most telling,

'You have comfort and the power of a racing car'

997TT IS a GT car, not a all out track car. Porsche positioned it to be in the GT class and let the GT3/GT3RS take up the track focus bunch. This settles the argument from some of you here about the so-so track performance of the TT. WR tuned it to be a comfortable GT, not a track car that's why. Porsche had decided to forgo all out track performance on the TT, the small improvement over the 996TT is good enough for Porsche and WR.

It's also good enough for me, if I had wanted something more hardcore, GT3RS is the one to go.

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:997TT IS a GT car, not a all out track car. Porsche positioned it to be in the GT class and let the GT3/GT3RS take up the track focus bunch.

This has always been the case since 1975. Turbo is the high-speed GT and the top-spec naturally aspirated cars are the street-legal sports/track cars (with a few exceptions like GT1, GT2, etc.)

Quote:
    Grant said:
    This has always been the case since 1975. Turbo is the high-speed GT and the top-spec naturally aspirated cars are the street-legal sports/track cars (with a few exceptions like GT1, GT2, etc.)

I know, but some members here believe otherwise, they think the 997TT SHOULD be more track focus, complaining that the current package is too slow on a track.........

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    997TT IS a GT car, not a all out track car. Porsche positioned it to be in the GT class and let the GT3/GT3RS take up the track focus bunch. This settles the argument from some of you here about the so-so track performance of the TT. WR tuned it to be a comfortable GT, not a track car that's why. Porsche had decided to forgo all out track performance on the TT, the small improvement over the 996TT is good enough for Porsche and WR.

Agreed, the GT concept for the 997TT could make sense - assuming the GT2 delivers what Porsche has promised. In that case buyers would have the choice to buy either car: the comfortable GT or the well performing GT2.

However, what were potential (new) GT2 buyers supposed to do until the GT2 was finally presented? Until 8 weeks (or so) ago it was not clear if the new GT2 would have PSM (which I consider critical if a car is also used as a daily driver). Also, Porsche lost some credibility due to the not too well 997TT test results.

I agree, that the whole picture would turn right if they now sell a high-performance GT2 with PSM and a GT oriented 997TT. As soon as the GT2 delivers in Sportauto (and in a seperate 0-300kph test) I will stop complaining as I will accept that the GT2 is the new high-performance car of Porsche which can also be used as a daily driver

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Plus I guess we know his 7:29 is a BTG time now.

No - a 7:29 BTG would translate into a 7:50 (approximately) full lap.

During the so-called Industry Weeks the testdrivers do full laps. However there is a 200m stretch where they reduce speed due to other testdrivers entering the track.
    I'm not sure if/how this is reflected in the laptimes (not a big difference anyway). Also I think you need to go flat out on Döttinger Höhe in order to reach 310 km/h at Tiergarten

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is BTG?

With the introduction of the 997 GT2 as the new track star, the Turbo certainly makes sense as a fast GT car (as was already the case with the 996 TT). Whatever you do to heavy cars they are not good for extended track use.

The 977 GT3 is also well positioned as a reasonably practical track and fun car. The RS, however, needs a greater performance advantage than the GT3 to justify its existence (and race stickers). Trackers could easily get more performance by Manthey tuning the GT3 for the same cost as the RS.

But RS owners seem quite happy to pay for the marginal performance advantage (and stickers). So perhaps Porsche strategy for the GT cars and Turbo is about right for the market.

Quote:
    Boyko23 said:
    Sorry for the stupid question, but what is BTG?

Tourist (public day) laps are timed from Bridge to Gantry (which is only 19.1 km) and is about 30 seconds shorter than a full lap.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    With the introduction of the 997 GT2 as the new track star, the Turbo certainly makes sense as a fast GT car (as was already the case with the 996 TT). Whatever you do to heavy cars they are not good for extended track use.

The 977 GT3 is also well positioned as a reasonably practical track and fun car. The RS, however, needs a greater performance advantage than the GT3 to justify its existence (and race stickers). Trackers could easily get more performance by Manthey tuning the GT3 for the same cost as the RS.

But RS owners seem quite happy to pay for the marginal performance advantage (and stickers). So perhaps Porsche strategy for the GT cars and Turbo is about right for the market.

I am in full agreement on the RS position. In the US, I would consider this the most poseur car in the Porsche lineup, yet plenty have signed up to buy this stickered gem at well over market values. Stuttgart is laughing all the way to the bank.

You can criticize P's R&D and design on many aspects, but P's marketing is the absolute best bear none.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    You can criticize P's R&D and design on many aspects, but P's marketing is the absolute best bear none.

Suspect F's game in US will challenge P for marketing cleverness....

And rumored launch of a folding-top Dino has scared both P and MB into scrambling to launch revised/updated-tech 997TT/SL63Blk sooner than planned....will be an interesting marketing battle to watch in '08....

BTW, not sure which is most poseurish current P....the alleged track-focused GT3 w/its laughable sunroof would be in running...along w/any Turbo Cab....

F marketing is lame in the US (the pricing part), dealers are ripping the profits, not the mothership.

Turbo cab is poseur? 997TT is a GT car, a GT convertible car is perfect IMHO. We are not talking GT3 convertible

The "no sunroof delete" on the regular GT3 is a fiasco, but at least the listened and too it out the RS...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

However, what were potential (new) GT2 buyers supposed to do until the GT2 was finally presented? Until 8 weeks (or so) ago it was not clear if the new GT2 would have PSM (which I consider critical if a car is also used as a daily driver). Also, Porsche lost some credibility due to the not too well 997TT test results.

Most potential GT2 buyers are already on the good side of their Porsche dealer, and likely they were already offered a slot or had a slot reserved way in advance, and IF the GT2 came out as disappointing, they could always waive their slot, look for something else and no harm done. I was offered one and I turned it down, because it would not be a practical daily driver for me, no awd is a no no for the weather here.

Porsche never lost any creditability with the 997TT, you are the only one who lost faith. What you consider as a 'disappointing' test results is a perfectly fine one for a 480hp GT car, remember Porsche positioned it as a GT not a track car and track times were not Porsche's priority. You just had a different priority than everyone else.

Just like WR had mentioned on the GT3, he could have easily tune another 3 seconds into the car if he had wanted but it wouldn't feel right. Same deal for the 997TT, the tuning was real world biased instead of track biased.

The 997TT NBR laps are VERY dissapointing, there is no debate about that, as the 997TT is slower than a 996TTS...

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Most potential GT2 buyers are already on the good side of their Porsche dealer, and likely they were already offered a slot or had a slot reserved way in advance, and IF the GT2 came out as disappointing, they could always waive their slot, look for something else and no harm done. I was offered one and I turned it down, because it would not be a practical daily driver for me, no awd is a no no for the weather here.

You don't need a slot in Germany. There are several GT2 contracts with delivery very early next year for minimum/no premium available on the market... The US market might be different though?

BTW: Porsche has not produced a rare car for decades. You can have every car you want by just ordering it. At least in Germany.

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Porsche never lost any creditability with the 997TT, you are the only one who lost faith. What you consider as a 'disappointing' test results is a perfectly fine one for a 480hp GT car, remember Porsche positioned it as a GT not a track car and track times were not Porsche's priority. You just had a different priority than everyone else.

You must have skipped several hundreds of posts to come to the conclusion that I am the only one not satisfied with the car's performance...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Turbo cab is poseur? 997TT is a GT car, a GT convertible car is perfect IMHO. We are not talking GT3 convertible

Of course..

7:29...just a tick slower than that ol Carrera GT thingy. Coincidence?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776854 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441584 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260850 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85132 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5521 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880572 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815732 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM