Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What's Recommended for Better Performance/Sound?

What are people's experiences with after-market exhausts?
    Does an after-market exhaust void warranty?

What about ECU's?
    Has anyone tried Champion's ECU? / Does it effect warranty?

I drove another Turbo today & although wasn't concentrating on the sound too much the first time, today I realized I'll never be happy with the stock exhaust. So what's my best options?

Also has anyone had any experience with Champions/Werks AIRBOX?
    http://www.championmotorsport.com/werks1/

I'm also thinking of their RS98 wheel.

Re: What's Recommended for Better Performance/Soun

Stradale, I went with the AWE exhaust and GIAC ecu which is the same ecu sold by Champion, AWE, EVO, Sharkwerks, Imagine Auto, Autodynamica. I cannot stress how much the two mods turn the car into a real supercar with NO downsides in drivability.

Stradale, I have Fabspeed exhaust and love it. I visited both AWE and FS (both could not have been better hosts) to hear their cars and ultimatley chose FS.

If you want to take my car for a spin , let me know.

Techart springs are going on this week. AT some point I'm sure I'll do the ECU.

Champion wheels are beautiful and would be a great choice. I have the RF67 and love them.

The two exhausts I have heard are Fabspeed and AWE, both sound great. I chose Fabspeed. Listen for yourself and pick one, you can't go wrong.
    That GIAC is on my radar now....

Stradale, go Europipe man. I have driven without it in summer time and it's re-installed again now. I can honestly say that right now I'm really enjoying my car again.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Stradale, I went with the AWE exhaust and GIAC ecu which is the same ecu sold by Champion, AWE, EVO, Sharkwerks, Imagine Auto, Autodynamica. I cannot stress how much the two mods turn the car into a real supercar with NO downsides in drivability.

Thanks. I thought Champion sold tubi. Would AWE do the exhaust & chip install in PA? Or do I need to take it to a distributer?

AWE exhaust looks cool & decent HP gains too:
    "Utilizing 14 and 16 gauge 304 Stainless Steel and German made 200 cell metal core catalysts, our muffler has been dyno proven to deliver a huge 24 crank horsepower and 30 crank torque improvement over stock in both normal and overboost modes. Meanwhile, our power improvements have come with no sacrifice to sound quality. "

GIAC Chip:
    " Power gains over stock summary:

+31 crank hp and +33 crank tq in stock boost mode when used with stock muffler
    +54 crank hp and +65 crank tq in stock boost mode when used with AWE Tuning muffler
    +58 crank hp and +45 crank tq in sport boost mode when used with stock muffler
    +80 crank hp and +78 crank tq in sport boost mode when used with AWE Tuning muffler"

Wow, that's huge gains. So basically 560hp & 583ft lbs?

What is all this stuff under the Chip?

>>GIAC 997TT Stock Program<<
    >>GIAC 997TT Kill Program<<
    >>GIAC 997TT Valet Program<<
    >>Handheld Flashloader Program Switcher<<
    http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...mp;IL=997TTgiac

$3795 for the exhaust plus $3495 for the chip.. Who did the install for you? AWE is in PA/ Do they do installs? & approx. how much $ for the install?

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Stradale, I have Fabspeed exhaust and love it. I visited both AWE and FS (both could not have been better hosts) to hear their cars and ultimatley chose FS.

Champion wheels are beautiful and would be a great choice. I have the RF67 and love them.

Did you get their tips too?
    Who installed your exhaust?

Why'd you choose FS, were both around the same sound level wise?

Geez, I listed the wrong wheel model, the ones you got the RF67's are the ones I like. Did you stay with the stock tires or did you get new rubber? What did the wheels/tires cost? Could you post some pics of your car?

Thanks TT Gasman & Rami!

Rami - What do you like about the Europipe?

FS gen 3 sound really good, I'd go down to PA and check out both places.

Stradale,

I installed the AWE exhaust myself. Was a weekend job. The ECU you can just remove and send to them for a turn-around flash. I would recommend doing the 93, race, and stock modes. The race mode for 100 octane is incredible. The stock mode allows you to go to dealership service without suspicion.

So you can get the chip and not have the dealership know you did it?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:

Geez, I listed the wrong wheel model, the ones you got the RF67's are the ones I like. Did you stay with the stock tires or did you get new rubber? What did the wheels/tires cost? Could you post some pics of your car?

Thanks TT Gasman & Rami!

Stradale, I chose FS because I liked the sound a bit better (a little louder than AWE). Both AWE and FS will do the install. I had mine installed by RPM Racing in Plainview. You can have them do the chip as well if you'd like.

I kept the stock tires as I only had 3,000 miles on them.

Pics of the car are here which you've seen:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...true#Post374486

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:

Thanks TT Gasman & Rami!

Stradale, I chose FS because I liked the sound a bit better (a little louder than AWE). Both AWE and FS will do the install. I had mine installed by RPM Racing in Plainview. You can have them do the chip as well if you'd like.

Thanks Chris. I remember seeing your pics & love that style wheel. When I have Detailing Dynamics do the 3M I'll have to get those side markers too, very nice. I noticed on the Champion site that they list Porsche Roslyn as distributer and since I've had very good experiences w/ them service wise I'm thinking of having them do all the work including the wheels. Or would a Porsche dealer not do the chip????? Not sure yet. Plainview is a short drive for me too.

I was thinking of 20's but now I'm thinking maybe I should stay stock size because of the roads I drive on. Is it possible to fit wider 19" tires on that style rim/ do they have different widths in that style 19" wheel? Do you know what the weight comparison of those wheels vs stock? Have you had any issues at all w/ the exhaust or wheels? I know I can find out by calling Champion but wanted someone elses opinion first.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:

Thanks TT Gasman & Rami!

Thanks Chris. I remember seeing your pics & love that style wheel. When I have Detailing Dynamics do the 3M I'll have to get those side markers too, very nice. I noticed on the Champion site that they list Porsche Roslyn as distributer and since I've had very good experiences w/ them service wise I'm thinking of having them do all the work including the wheels. Or would a Porsche dealer not do the chip????? Not sure yet. Plainview is a short drive for me too.

I was thinking of 20's but now I'm thinking maybe I should stay stock size because of the roads I drive on. Is it possible to fit wider 19" tires on that style rim/ do they have different widths in that style 19" wheel? Do you know what the weight comparison of those wheels vs stock? Have you had any issues at all w/ the exhaust or wheels? I know I can find out by calling Champion but wanted someone elses opinion first.

I had Jason at L.I. Bentley/Lambo mount the wheels. He came recommende by both detailing dynamics and RPM. Two places both recommend the same guy, and that's good enough for me.

I didn't weight my wheels but I would expect them to be in the 18F-22R neighborhood. Definitely lighter than stock. I'm not a fan of 20" but that's personal choice. Not sure if the 19" will allow for a wider tire. Jesse at Chapmion is very helpful.

I would be surprised if Roslyn would chip your car. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Chip the car and you will void your warranty. Of course the dealer would have to prove that the ECU was the casue of the failure but i'm pretty sure that would get very nasty.

My E55 was pretty heavily modded and I had a tremendous relationship with my dealer. They told me that they would do whatever they could in the event of a problem but once a regional tech is called in all bet's are off.

Locally, I heard Massapequa is pretty mod friendly but again - if a regional tech has to come in, I don't think they'll be waving the (insert favorite tuner) EVO, protomotive, etc.

I'm pretty sure at some point I'll chip it but you just need to know that there "COULD" be ramifications.

Stradale,

Judging by your posts you're on or near LI. If you're driving anywhere near the city think twice about the 20's. I know someone who destroyed a rim on his S8 with the 20's.

As far as an ECU upgrade goes, most dealers won't touch them and won't honor your warranty if anything goes wrong. Theoretically speaking, the service department would have to prove that the increased performance program caused the damage. It's a risk you take with any type of increased power mod that is not specifically manufactured by Porsche. The GM at my dealership went so far as to tell me that even if I changed out the exhaust and there was a mechanical issue they may not cover it. Seems like a stretch to me that a more freely flowing exhaust could cause mechanical problems, but it's not something I want to test them on.

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:

Thanks TT Gasman & Rami!

I had Jason at L.I. Bentley/Lambo mount the wheels. He came recommende by both detailing dynamics and RPM. Two places both recommend the same guy, and that's good enough for me.

I didn't weight my wheels but I would expect them to be in the 18F-22R neighborhood. Definitely lighter than stock. I'm not a fan of 20" but that's personal choice. Not sure if the 19" will allow for a wider tire. Jesse at Chapmion is very helpful.

I would be surprised if Roslyn would chip your car. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Chip the car and you will void your warranty. Of course the dealer would have to prove that the ECU was the casue of the failure but i'm pretty sure that would get very nasty.

My E55 was pretty heavily modded and I had a tremendous relationship with my dealer. They told me that they would do whatever they could in the event of a problem but once a regional tech is called in all bet's are off.

Locally, I heard Massapequa is pretty mod friendly but again - if a regional tech has to come in, I don't think they'll be waving the (insert favorite tuner) EVO, protomotive, etc.

I'm pretty sure at some point I'll chip it but you just need to know that there "COULD" be ramifications.

Great info Chris. Thanks a bunch. I know the Bentley/Lambo dealer you're taling about, on the service road, right?

I hear ya. Then what I should probably do is the rims & exhaust, plus I really like the Werks Airbox from Champion & ditch the idea of getting 'chip'd'.

RE: "Massapequa" - Do you mean Legend Porsche in Amityville? If so that's where I bought my 996 Turbo, 997 S Cabrio & where I'm getting my 997 turbo Cabrio.

Quote:
    saxguy said:
    Stradale,

Judging by your posts you're on or near LI. If you're driving anywhere near the city think twice about the 20's. I know someone who destroyed a rim on his S8 with the 20's.

As far as an ECU upgrade goes, most dealers won't touch them and won't honor your warranty if anything goes wrong. Theoretically speaking, the service department would have to prove that the increased performance program caused the damage. It's a risk you take with any type of increased power mod that is not specifically manufactured by Porsche. The GM at my dealership went so far as to tell me that even if I changed out the exhaust and there was a mechanical issue they may not cover it. Seems like a stretch to me that a more freely flowing exhaust could cause mechanical problems, but it's not something I want to test them on.

I don't bring my sports cars into the city but yes use my 911 for everyday commuting from Long Island (Great Neck) to Westchester & like to use the car for most other stuff too so I can run into some bad roads. Wow! really, on an S8, then on a 911 they'd probably be toast.

Gotcha...Well I guess that will be easier on my budget too, going to hold off on the ECU then. Thanks!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:

Thanks TT Gasman & Rami!

Great info Chris. Thanks a bunch. I know the Bentley/Lambo dealer you're taling about, on the service road, right?

I hear ya. Then what I should probably do is the rims & exhaust, plus I really like the Werks Airbox from Champion & ditch the idea of getting 'chip'd'.

RE: "Massapequa" - Do you mean Legend Porsche in Amityville? If so that's where I bought my 996 Turbo, 997 S Cabrio & where I'm getting my 997 turbo Cabrio.

Yes, Legend. Someone mentioned that they are supposedly starting up a "performance division" so may be more mod friendly. Don't know for sure about this but I still don't think they'll chip your car.

Most dealers will do the exhaust but you'll probably do it for less by using someone like RPM or go directly to AWE or Fabspeed.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Well, for me their exhaust builds are second to none. Finish is truly amazing, sound is awesome en throttle response has improved.

You're so close, I would take a trip to PA and visit Fabspeed and AWE. I bet you'll leave with one of those bad boys installed!

Quote:
    Rami said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Well, for me their exhaust builds are second to none. Finish is truly amazing, sound is awesome en throttle response has improved.

Agree 100% - just installed on my 997TT - sounds great, no resonanace. The reduced backpressure (70% less) because of the 100 cell cats and bigger pipes is noticable.

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:

Thanks TT Gasman & Rami!

Yes, Legend. Someone mentioned that they are supposedly starting up a "performance division" so may be more mod friendly. Don't know for sure about this but I still don't think they'll chip your car.

Most dealers will do the exhaust but you'll probably do it for less by using someone like RPM or go directly to AWE or Fabspeed.

Cool. I've always dealt directly w/ the owner there, he spec.'d my turbo cabrio. with me in his office personally so I bet anything he would hook me up with a very aggressive installation price. I wasn't aware of the start of a "performance division" . I'll have to ask him about it. Thanks!

Quote:
    Rami said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Thanks, you can tell the quality from the pics on their site.

Quote:
    TT Gasman said:
    You're so close, I would take a trip to PA and visit Fabspeed and AWE. I bet you'll leave with one of those bad boys installed!

I'll probably do that. So I guess these are the best 2 exhaust systems in the US almost in my backyard? What about the tubi exhaust that Champion sells? I know the tubi is very popular on 8 cyl. Ferrari's, has anyone had any experience with it on a turbo?
    http://www.championmotorsport.com/products/exhaust/997TUBIEXHAUST.htm

Oh important: Is it recommended that you break the car in before installation of an exhaust or wheels or does it not matter?

Chris,

Did you look at the TechArt's at all? Also did you consider wheel spacer's?

You'll find that all of the exhausts are pretty good, some slightly louder, etc. I had mine done at Fabspeed in PA, three hrs round trip, well worth it imo. I also have the tips, check mine out if you want before heading down. Do give Joe or Jay at FS a shout, I'm sure you'll get a rennteam discount( mention my name).

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    TT Gasman said:

I'll probably do that. So I guess these are the best 2 exhaust systems in the US almost in my backyard? What about the tubi exhaust that Champion sells? I know the tubi is very popular on 8 cyl. Ferrari's, has anyone had any experience with it on a turbo?

Stradale, if you're looking for real loud sound and no drone I would look into the Cargraphic loud export, I have one with FS tips and though much pricier than most others, I could not recommend it strongly enough.
    I waited months for Europipe but when I heard it was going to be 100 cats, I pulled the trigger on the CG.
    Good luck

Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    TT Gasman said:

Stradale, if you're looking for real loud sound and no drone I would look into the Cargraphic loud export, I have one with FS tips and though much pricier than most others, I could not recommend it strongly enough.
    I waited months for Europipe but when I heard it was going to be 100 cats, I pulled the trigger on the CG.
    Good luck

The CG system is great - I debated CG or EP and settled on EP. Why did the 100 cell cats concern you?

Quote:
    TT Surgeon said:
    You'll find that all of the exhausts are pretty good, some slightly louder, etc. I had mine done at Fabspeed in PA, three hrs round trip, well worth it imo. I also have the tips, check mine out if you want before heading down. Do give Joe or Jay at FS a shout, I'm sure you'll get a rennteam discount( mention my name).

Chris,
    Could you post some pics of the tips? There's no issues with the after-market tips & the plastic piece that surrounds them? Did you go w/ the chrome or powdercoat?

Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    TT Gasman said:

Good luck

Thanks I'll look into the Cargraphic too. So what you're saying is that you decided against the Europipe because it would be too loud w/ 100 cell cats??? My car is going to be a Cabriolet. I'm really disappointed w/ the stock sound so that's why I'm obviously looking for an after-market exhaust & thought about waiting for the Porsche Turbo PSE but if I'm spending $ on an exhaust may as well pick up some small performance gains & decrease weight at the same time right? But since it is a Cabriolet naturally it's going to sound louder than a Coupe so while I want a better sound I also want it to be acceptable for using everyday...I'm more for louder though, something just slightly louder than the PSE on my 997 S cab would be perfect.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760639 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434352 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259998 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257136 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871252 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806417 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM