Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

The law is very explicit on exhibits of speed, even in Florida and the highway is never empty.  He races between gaps in the traffic and there is often traffic on the other side of the median strip.  He evidently has enough capital to conduct his “tests” in a safer, more legal environment.  

McLaren are still considering the poosibility of an all-electric supercar...

...artist's impression by Autocar......

Smiley

CGX car nut:

The law is very explicit on exhibits of speed, even in Florida and the highway is never empty.  He races between gaps in the traffic and there is often traffic on the other side of the median strip.  He evidently has enough capital to conduct his “tests” in a safer, more legal environment.  

TIL no one on RT exceeds the speed limit.

noone1:
    CGX car nut:

This is not the same and you know the difference. 

CGX car nut:
    noone1:
    CGX car nut:

How come no one was bashing this guy? He's crossing the lanes and going way over the speed limit on winding roads with cars right next to him. He even pulls off to let traffic clear to get some more space to play around.

Boxster GTS gives him a thumbs up!

noone1:
    CGX car nut:
    noone1:
    CGX car nut:

How come no one was bashing this guy? He's crossing the lanes and going way over the speed limit on winding roads with cars right next to him. He even pulls off to let traffic clear to get some more space to play around.

Boxster GTS gives him a thumbs up!

Nice way to generalize.   Not commenting on one video isn’t the equivalent of endorsing such behavior.  Drag Times has  become a for-profit, law breaking enterprise that endangers other motorists. 

So do all magazines and YouTubers. You think they don't drive above the speed limits and get all the roads blocked off?

Here's the reality of it -- everyone on here breaks the law around other people when it comes to driving their high-end sport cars. If you think people on here never floor it on public roads with other cars nearby, you're very much mistaken.

Perhaps you should condemn RC while you're at it...

After a 7 hour+ drive from my hometown in Germany, we finally arrived at Disneyland Paris. Driving in France is actually fun. They have a speed limit of 130 kph but as far as I can tell, nobody really seems to care. A speed of around 160-170 kph was more realistic and the two radar traps along my route were visible from half a mile.  The ML55 AMG is a fine car and if somebody doesn't like SUVs, he should think again. On my trip through Germany and France, there was no one driving faster than I did. I even embarassed a Boxster S driver from England who gave up when we climbed a 5% hill and he couldn't pass me (thanks to the ML's V8 torque figure) up to a speed of almost 210 kph. He showed thumbs up and seemed to be impressed. Me too.  I guess the Cayenne Turbo will even do better. 

CGX car nut:

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

noone1:

So do all magazines and YouTubers. You think they don't drive above the speed limits and get all the roads blocked off?

Here's the reality of it -- everyone on here breaks the law around other people when it comes to driving their high-end sport cars. If you think people on here never floor it on public roads with other cars nearby, you're very much mistaken.

Perhaps you should condemn RC while you're at it...

After a 7 hour+ drive from my hometown in Germany, we finally arrived at Disneyland Paris. Driving in France is actually fun. They have a speed limit of 130 kph but as far as I can tell, nobody really seems to care. A speed of around 160-170 kph was more realistic and the two radar traps along my route were visible from half a mile.  The ML55 AMG is a fine car and if somebody doesn't like SUVs, he should think again. On my trip through Germany and France, there was no one driving faster than I did. I even embarassed a Boxster S driver from England who gave up when we climbed a 5% hill and he couldn't pass me (thanks to the ML's V8 torque figure) up to a speed of almost 210 kph. He showed thumbs up and seemed to be impressed. Me too.  I guess the Cayenne Turbo will even do better. 

You are aware that there is no speed limit in Germany (210 kph)?

Also, I was "swimming" with the traffic in France, similar to Florida. If all cars are doing 90 mph in a 70 mph speed limit zone, I do the same. Highway Patrol seems to accept this as long as nobody "falls out" and drives faster.

Doing 20-30 kph over the legal speed limit on a highway, which is very common in Europe (maybe not in Switzerland 🤭) is also not the same as doing 130 mph or more in a 75 mph zone. 🙄

It really seems you are looking for an argument but you don't find one. 😂

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I'm pointing out that you guys are hypocrites. I guarantee you that there are plenty of people who don't approve of your driving. And no, traffic in Florida (and most states) is not 90 mph. All of traffic does not move at 90 mph and you are very likely to get pulled over whether others are doing it or not. There are only so many cops, thus someone is always getting pulled over, just not everyone.

RC, ever "raced" another car on the autobahn? You know, not just driving fast, but actually trying to see who is quicker? I'm pretty sure I can find your quotes on those too...

RC:

It really seems you are looking for an argument but you don't find one. 😂

Noone? You must be new around here SmileySmileySmiley 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

So then you guys admit you're all posers, right? I mean, why else do you have these 200K exotic cars for if you just abide by all speed limits than even my Rav4 can handle with ease? Just to show off and have a fancy car, right?

noone1:

So then you guys admit you're all posers who never drive over the speed limit. Is that correct?

Ironic you are calling other people poseurs.... there is a difference between "driving over the posted generic speed limit" in certain situations and driving with excessive speed for the situation.. I'll leave it to you to figure what it is...

--

Get off my lawn!

It's soooooo dangerous to drive 130 mph in a straight line for a few second, but there's nothing wrong going 40 mph over the speed limit on mountain road with no distance between lanes. I mean, unless you're a poser, you have to be annihilating the speed limit in any modern car in just about any road.

I mean, a Ferrari will take a 35 mph turn at 80 mph without even breaking a sweat, so if you're not doing at least 55 mph over the limit, why are you driving them? I mean, you said it's not because of the design...

McLaren 720S in black and gold...

That looks really nice. It looks like it has Arabic writing on the rear wing. Wonder what it says?

Ramin:

That looks really nice. It looks like it has Arabic writing on the rear wing. Wonder what it says?

“Life is measured in achievement, not in years alone,”. A famous Bruce McLaren quote.

That's really cool. Thank you.

McLaren is really improving on the image/marketing side every year. 

Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:

So then you guys admit you're all posers who never drive over the speed limit. Is that correct?

Ironic you are calling other people poseurs.... there is a difference between "driving over the posted generic speed limit" in certain situations and driving with excessive speed for the situation.. I'll leave it to you to figure what it is...

Actually, as far as I can tell, noone isn' driving at all. 😂🤗

--

noone1:

Get off my lawn!

It's soooooo dangerous to drive 130 mph in a straight line for a few second, but there's nothing wrong going 40 mph over the speed limit on mountain road with no distance between lanes. I mean, unless you're a poser, you have to be annihilating the speed limit in any modern car in just about any road.

Dude, you need to understand the words "controlled driving" and professionals. We would never endanger other people.

You are looking for an argument but you can't win this because you don't know how I drive. 

The emphasis lies in the word drive. 😉

I mean, a Ferrari will take a 35 mph turn at 80 mph without even breaking a sweat, so if you're not doing at least 55 mph over the limit, why are you driving them? I mean, you said it's not because of the design...

🤯 (I guess Apple developed this smiley specifically for you 😁).

--

You're not in any more control and you're not a professional by any stretch of the word. 

Brooks isn't putting anyone in danger. He waits until there is like no one near them, the median is usually enormous, and all he does is go in a straight line. I'd be willing to be what he's doing is vastly safer than what you do.

Brooks never does this in anything but great conditions, whereas you go out to try and explore your traction in the wet.

These cars are designed to launch and go straight by just holding your foot down and the wheel straight. They're very good at it. Your grandma could do it safely.

The median is grass! Have you heard about a thing called friction coefficient? There is no barriers like in Europe, that patch of grass will not even slow down a car from barreling into the cats on the opposite lane, it will just keep him from any chance of regaining control before wiping into the other side. Try driving on grass with done speed, you will finally get to spin a car...

--

If the median is wide enough, then it doesn't matter, because cars would have enough time to react. It's not like a traffic jam on the other side.

Besides, going 325 kph on the autobahn is vastly more dangerous than this, median or no median. Just because the law says something is or isn't ok, doesn't mean it has any baring on safety.

noone1:

If the median is wide enough, then it doesn't matter, because cars would have enough time to react. It's not like a traffic jam on the other side.

Clueless... At those speeds calculate how much time you would actually have to react, consider oncoming traffic's opposite speed is subtracted, then factor in visibility from other cars in other lanes that may be in the way of your view, and also the risk repercussions from sudden breaking swerving maneuvers of multiple cars in proximity (check the traffic on the opposite lanes  in the video, you can see it)... Yeah, no problem, totally safe. I get it you like to argue just for arguing sakes all the time but c'mon...

--

Please stop driving over the speed limit on back roads. You're reckless and dangerous.

At the risk of going back on topic Smiley, I just went for, shall we say a spirited  drive in the 720S on some country roads. Got held up Smiley by some Sunday drivers on multiple occasions but the 720S easily took advantage of short gaps shall we say. This is the real benefit of performance on a normal B road with traffic - and quite safe. It really is an astonishing machine and confirms what I and others have said before  - clearly the class leader for the moment. Mind bending acceleration and lovely steering feel and precision combined why a confutable ride and stability when required. I still think they have not quite nailed the  dual clutch gear change in the way Porsche and Ferrai have though.

Is the upshift time fixed or is it still very throttle dependent?

noone1:

Please stop driving over the speed limit on back roads. You're reckless and dangerous.

You're a fraud, so... Smiley Smiley

--

noone1:

Is the upshift time fixed or is it still very throttle dependent?

Both I would say.

RC:
    noone1:

You're a fraud, so... Smiley Smiley

I've already admitted I prefer car design over car performance, so...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753019 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430666 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258578 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255449 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868274 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801816 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM