Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Panamera's interior picture

Here is a scan from Autocar's magazine of the Panamera's interior. Note manual gearbox and some strange position for the climate controls. and by the way no paddle shifts....

Re: Panamera's interior picture

Manual shift with dual clutch sounds exactly my cup of tea, oddly enough, but it'd have to be driven. I guess a position on the gate might be for 'full auto'? I dunno! I'm merely speculating. Interesting though...

This ist for sure not a manual shift handle. This looks like a Automatic, without the cover around the knob.

Furhter on, the buttons around look like 996 Button-Style. I would wonder to see them in the real car.

Yeah, I think you may be right in that the AutoCar interpretation is a little out. I had the "996 button" thought too. And what's with that little red knob rearwards of the gear lever? And the slot in the middle of the 'Air Con Controls' make it look like an old cassette player... It's definitley not the finished article! We will have to wait and see....

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Yeah, I think you may be right in that the AutoCar interpretation is a little out. I had the "996 button" thought too. And what's with that little red knob rearwards of the gear lever? And the slot in the middle of the 'Air Con Controls' make it look like an old cassette player!

Could the red knob be some kind of cut-off switch in case of an emergency? It is obvious that the interior is far from a finished product.

Quote:
    Crash said:Could the red knob be some kind of cut-off switch in case of an emergency?

It looks more to me like a kind of manettino dial control, maybe just for development...?

being a mule it is normal for them to use buttons from the 996. and I agree also that there looks more like an automatic shifter than a sequential or manual. Also the clima controls look like taken from the current Mercedes E class. But the question is that Porsche still don't have the sequential gearbox?!?!?

Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    being a mule it is normal for them to use buttons from the 996. and I agree also that there looks more like an automatic shifter than a sequential or manual. Also the clima controls look like taken from the current Mercedes E class. But the question is that Porsche still don't have the sequential gearbox?!?!?

Honestly, I would want an automatic in a limousine, no matter how sporty. The somewhat jerky sequentials aren't my cup of tea.

As Lars said, I think the pic shows an automatic gear lever.

Concerning the climate control panel, I don't think placing the controls flat on the centre console is that unusual.
    Some Ferrari had them in this place and operating was absolutely easy.

Yes, the 456 was lovely.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:Could the red knob be some kind of cut-off switch in case of an emergency?

It looks more to me like a kind of manettino dial control, maybe just for development...?

Test cars usually have a kill switch like that--if that one isn't it, you can be sure it is located elsewhere, within the driver's reach.

Great Pic Rossi! This was indead a nice car!

Sometimes I wished being 20 years older! But then - seeing Performance of those beautis I wished to be 20 years younger!

Thanks Rossi for the pic, the 456 GT is my favorite Ferrari of all time !

I particularly like the prefacelifted ones, and even further the first model years with the non-airbag-equipped steering wheel, which looked stunning.

Stylewise, Ferrari reached a greatness during the 456/355 (my 2nd favorite Ferrari) area that they have not recovered with their current products IMHO (I had a close look at the 599 this week BTW and from some angles it looks awkward IMHO ).

Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Thanks Rossi for the pic, the 456 GT is my favorite Ferrari of all time !

You're the only person that I've heard say that. I guess it's lucky for you that the 456 is one of the cheapest V12 Ferraris that you can buy (400i is the cheapest, I think)...

I think, these are new pictures for the thread...
    PDK steering wheel, or what..?

front...

last one...

Quote:
    Boyko23 said:
    I think, these are new pictures for the thread...
    PDK steering wheel, or what..?

Looks like new Tiptronic buttons on a new steering wheel to me.

Interesting to see that the Pananmera will have the same instrument cluster as the 997, also the door handle seems to be the same.

the speedometer is quite similar to the 997

Interesting pictures.

The side windows are not fully disappearing... the front delta is fixed like Gallardo's and Bentley GT's. Archaic IMO.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Interesting pictures.

The side windows are not fully disappearing... the front delta is fixed like Gallardo's and Bentley GT's. Archaic IMO.

This archaic design element goes well with the archaic 993-style-mirrors.

This thing just appears to be a LARGE SHAPELESS BLOB of a vehicle. I don't think there is enough camo to come off to make it attractive, let alone sleek like their drawing.

Unless the whole body is a fake, i believe porsche is going after the 65+ crowd who can't afford a bentley/rolls but want a nameplate and a vehicle that is easy on their arthritis.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Interesting pictures.

This archaic design element goes well with the archaic 993-style-mirrors.

The archaic design elements will be logically consistent w/the likely archaic perf/comfort tech features of Panam....

Quote:
    racerx said:
    This thing just appears to be a LARGE SHAPELESS BLOB of a vehicle. I don't think there is enough camo to come off to make it attractive, let alone sleek like their drawing.

Unless the whole body is a fake, i believe porsche is going after the 65+ crowd who can't afford a bentley/rolls but want a nameplate and a vehicle that is easy on their arthritis.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm not sure I understand your observation.

I enjoyed owning two different 928's in my younger years even though acquaintances sometimes offered that they looked like tarted-up descendants of AMC Pacers devoid of distinctive shape; a cross between a jelly bean and a flying saucer with weird, Super Fly headlights. But, I liked them anyway. A lot. It seems you do, too.

I wonder what the camouflaged 928 mules looked like.

If the Panamera is to capture the imagination of the public, Porsche has to visually navigate their way through preconceived notions about (and style traditions of) a large group of competing autos. The car will need to look distinct from other vehicles, yet show plenty of recognizable Porsche visual DNA. The Panamera's looks will need to excite without confusing the buying public.

I think we should wait to see the final car in the flesh before declaring it a total loss.

Mike I have always qualified my dislike of the panamera mules with hope that we are not seeing the final shape.

However in its present form it is too tall by a long shot, see photo's with people standing next to it. It is also extremely long and there is a straight line front the hip to the headlight. No curves! Look at that pic you posted, the whole side is flat and level and its taller than everyday econo sedans. That is unacceptable to me.

It does not come close to Porsche's own drawing which was Wide, Low ,and Sleek. and attractive.

Porsche DNA? What's that? Where is Porsche DNA in your CGT?

The 928 is known for its complex shape, its beautifuul curves, and its exoticness. It's LOW and WIDE. (something that does not show in the shot you posted.)

A 928 is 1.5 inches lower and 3 inches wider that a 997S. Take a good look at the front quuarter panel of the 928 where roundness transforms into a crease.

The 928 is the car I always wanted and I am fortunate to own one of the best examples.

Take a look at this shot of someone else's for shape, coolest headlights in modern times imo.

The point is Porsche has been a builder of exotic sportscars. Exotic means low and wide. Lambo, ferrari, zonda, saleen, corvette, lotus, bugatti, AM etc - all low, all wide.

Panamera so far, long and tall.

Porsche's very own drawing;

Note the height of the roof in comparison to the wheels

Also the dip of the door line between hip and front quarter panel

The mule is roughly 5 inches too tall and absolutley no dip in the door line that i can see.

Except for the headlights, they are not close to this (which is hot);

The Panamera is being built to keep and gain market share.
    Not win design awards.
    I believe that's the whole problem/situation in a nutshell.
    Soccer moms and dads wont find a low, sleek sedan practical in everyday life - and I'm sure Porsche has taken this into consideration when building the Panamera.
    The Panamera will be a sedan version of the Cayenne. Nothing more and nothing less.
    That's my guess.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760592 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434312 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259983 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257127 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80741 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871223 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806378 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM