Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Corvette Etiquette - The Heck With It?

Okay, yesterday was the "last straw" now I gotta post this issue.

When I drive my Boxster I give a wave to all other roadsters.

Not in city where everybody is bizzy and crowded; but in 'burbs or rural areas I wave routinely.

When I drove my 997S and now my TT I wave to Corvettes when it's obvious we see eachother.

Rate of wave return by other mfgr roadsters is very high in Boxster.

Rate of wave return from vettes is very small.

Should I suspend my vette-wave policy or just continue to be nice? No big deal... , just a topic of conversation. I'll probably just keep waving. It's a habit; when driving I look for cops and other perf. cars.

Hey! Anybody in the habit of waving to cops? What's it like?

Re: Corvette Etiquette - The Heck With It?

I always "high beam" other Porsches and usually acknowledge other Sports car drivers by raising my hand and smiling.

Most return the greeting, some don't .

Waving started when a very small handful of car owners owned limited production cars. The waive was a sign of an exclusive club. Today, with millions of look alike Porsche's on the road and over 100,000 being built every year, waving is unwarranted. Would you wave if you were in a Toyota?

Corvette guy's probably think you are crazy or warning them of something down the road.

I usually don't wave to corvette owner or ferrari owners, but I do acknowledge other porsches especially other 911 owners. Now with up above quote that 100,000 porsches have been built and porsche are no longer exclusive. I am not an elitist but I respect cars especially porsche owners. To me when you get a thumbs up or a smile or a wave it shows a sign of appreciation. MMD continue what your doing. Who cares what anybody else thinks. Example, I was driving my GT3 the other day and I passed a older generation 911 RS. Beautiful car. I gave him the definitive thumbs up. I just appreciate porsches.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Waving started when a very small handful of car owners owned limited production cars. The waive was a sign of an exclusive club. Today, with millions of look alike Porsche's on the road and over 100,000 being built every year, waving is unwarranted. Would you wave if you were in a Toyota?

Corvette guy's probably think you are crazy or warning them of something down the road.

It has nothing to do with exclusivity or limited production...it's all about acknowledging other drivers/cars that are similar to yours, usually sports cars.
    I've been doing it since my first sports car, a Triumph TR3A in 1963...hardly an exclusive car.

Quote:
    mvn1971 said:
    I usually don't wave to corvette owner or ferrari owners, but I do acknowledge other porsches especially other 911 owners. Now with up above quote that 100,000 porsches have been built and porsche are no longer exclusive. I am not an elitist but I respect cars especially porsche owners. To me when you get a thumbs up or a smile or a wave it shows a sign of appreciation. MMD continue what your doing. Who cares what anybody else thinks. Example, I was driving my GT3 the other day and I passed a older generation 911 RS. Beautiful car. I gave him the definitive thumbs up. I just appreciate porsches.

Agree. I acknowledge other Porsche owners, if I can do so quickly enough. Sometimes I get a response, sometimes not. I think it is generally a matter of recognition quickly enough to either flash their lights or wave.

Jim

Quote:
    nberry said:

Or being condescending.

You know it's funny that you bring up the subject of the wave, because I have noticed over the last couple of years the wave or light flash had decreased considerably. I would say I get a wave back less than 50% of the time. Now I have recently added a Z06 to my small stable of cars and I must say in the three weeks I have owned the car I have not passed another Vette without getting a wave. All I know is, I will continue to wave to other Porsche drivers if the wave back great if they don't oh well.

Our news today is filled with acts of uncivilized behavior. There is no reason to abandon your current actions. Act civilized and let the rest of the world wonder.

Quote:
    connoisseur said:
    Our news today is filled with acts of uncivilized behavior. There is no reason to abandon your current actions. Act civilized and let the rest of the world wonder.

Outstanding advice!! Let others be uncivilized, if they so choose. Regardless of the car we drive, there will always be those who are uncivil and those who act and treat others in a civil manner.

Jim

Perhaps you should start using the birdy Just kidding of course. Let's put it this way, you are a car fanatic and a gentleman without arrogance and you appreciate the fact that there are others in all sorts of sports car on the road with you. Having such a passion in common with other drivers makes you smile or wave at them. If they have class like you they will respond assuming they see you and if not SO BE IT

Hey! Thanks for the insight.

If I see a nice perf. car (Porsche, Vette, BMW roadster, etc.) coming the other way and everybody's relaxed (thin traffic, nice day, top down, noticing eachother), I'm not thinking twice: I'm wavin'!

corvette guys are too intelligent to wave because the car is priced so well and out performs any other car out there... first second third gear.. it doesnt matter.. hahaha.

when im driving in our "exclusive" car i will wave and i am always acknowledged.

Join PCA

These cars (Porsche and Ferrari) are so common these days that I can't see the point of waiving. Downtown Chicago Ferrari's are as common as Camry's in the 'burbs. I counted 5 outside of the two nouveau riche steakhouses this evening, another 5 Porsche's, and 8 MB SL's. You'd be waiving like the Queen on Coronation Day if you waived at every Ferrari and Porsche you saw in Chicago.

Better answer is waive at people with PCA stickers, or better still take your car to the track and race them.

Re: Join PCA

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    These cars (Porsche and Ferrari) are so common these days that I can't see the point of waiving. Downtown Chicago Ferrari's are as common as Camry's in the 'burbs. I counted 5 outside of the two nouveau riche steakhouses this evening, another 5 Porsche's, and 8 MB SL's. You'd be waiving like the Queen on Coronation Day if you waived at every Ferrari and Porsche you saw in Chicago.

Better answer is waive at people with PCA stickers, or better still take your car to the track and race them.

I use to live downtown Chicago only a few years ago and I rarely able to see any Ferrari's and only a few porsches. I guess things have changed.

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    These cars (Porsche and Ferrari) are so common these days that I can't see the point of waiving.

Sure they are so common... BTW, you see no point of waiving? Waiving what? the waving?

Quote:
    mvn1971 said:
    Quote:
    Le Chef said:

I use to live downtown Chicago only a few years ago and I rarely able to see any Ferrari's and only a few porsches. I guess things have changed.

Am also fairly familiar w/Chic....great town (but hell for car nuts w/endless straight, flat roads/no twisties and awful weather....sort of like FL, but w/much better grub ); but underwhelming cars, even on a good day...suspect Chic's P/F/AMG nos. are less embarrassingly scant if one counts all 2-15+yo used P/F/AMG as "equivalent" to new 997TT/599/65.....all those used cars from SF/LA/Greenwich need to be exported somewhere, right???

Even in BevHills on a sunny wkend, 599s are uncommon sights...notably less common than in SF; interestingly, in SF, I see more 599s daily (two or three in my office pkg garage/in front of restaurants...even on overcast/rainy wkdays ) than I see 997TT

As much as I enjoy seeing great new cars in wild, suspect waving would be viewed as odd in a region where many 599, etc are used as daily commuter cars, even in winter rainy/overcast days, rather than as sunny wkend-only cars: the likely lim use for vast majority of new (or even used) F/P/AMG in vast majority of US/EU....

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Even in BevHills on a sunny wkend, 599s are uncommon sights...notably less common than in SF; interestingly, in SF, I see more 599s daily (two or three in my office pkg garage/in front of restaurants...even on overcast/rainy wkdays ) than I see 997TT

I wouldn't place much weight on that, WBH. I see Murcielagos and Bentleys at my office parking lot. That doesn't mean they're common place here in Irvine.

How often do you see different 599's when driving around SF? Compared to the 997TT? That is a better barometer.

WBH/VKSF: Where do you come up with this crap? I think they are giving away 599s in BH.

Not waiving but drowning

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    These cars (Porsche and Ferrari) are so common these days that I can't see the point of waiving.

Sure they are so common... BTW, you see no point of waiving? Waiving what? the waving?

You're right - I'd been writing something for a client that involved them "waiving" the opportunity. Band-width challenged late in the evening.

Maybe I should start waving instead, despite my drive drowning in fast cars.

With apologies to e.e. cummings

Re: Not waiving but drowning

This is beginning to read like a "Seinfeld" episode....

Re: Not waiving but drowning

Quote:
    1st997 said:
    This is beginning to read like a "Seinfeld" episode....

Yeah good point, now we should deal with the "Thank You Wave."

I _ALWAYS_ do the thank you wave. Especially when driving my BMW.

Gotta do the TYW in the BMW to do my share to counteract the worldwide prejudice that all BMW drivers are aholes.

I think it's working.

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Let's put it this way, you are a car fanatic and a gentleman without arrogance and you appreciate the fact that there are others in all sorts of sports car on the road with you. Having such a passion in common with other drivers makes you smile or wave at them. If they have class like you they will respond assuming they see you and if not SO BE IT

Well said. Don't let the oblivious people make you stop , the other enthusiasts will appreciate it and reciprocate.

Never a wave from a cayenne or boxster. Most of those drivers did not look like the sportscar type and probably had never seen or heard of a 928.

I flash the highbeams at Porsches only for the previously posted reason: I love Porsches. Sure I respect the 'vette and other sportscars, but it's Porsches I love.

Exclusivity is in the eye of the beholder - it's all relative. The Toyota analogy is ridiculous. Porsche and Ferrari are the 2 most famous motorsports names in the world. Nearly every sportscar made these days is compared to the gold standard 911 in the sportscar category or the 911 Turbo in the exotic category. Porsche's remarkable profitabiliy does not diminish that heritage nor imply that the make is not "exclusive". There are Porsches that are produced in higher numbers than others (eg. Boxster vs GT2), but a Porsche is still a Porsche. That's part of the company's genius of late.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    I flash the highbeams at Porsches only for the previously posted reason: I love Porsches. Sure I respect the 'vette and other sportscars, but it's Porsches I love.

Exclusivity is in the eye of the beholder - it's all relative. The Toyota analogy is ridiculous. Porsche and Ferrari are the 2 most famous motorsports names in the world. Nearly every sportscar made these days is compared to the gold standard 911 in the sportscar category or the 911 Turbo in the exotic category. Porsche's remarkable profitabiliy does not diminish that heritage nor imply that the make is not "exclusive". There are Porsches that are produced in higher numbers than others (eg. Boxster vs GT2), but a Porsche is still a Porsche. That's part of the company's genius of late.

Excellent!

I don't see too many where I live ( 1-2 per week, only a few 997s per year). I'm often too occupied appreciating the beauty to wave or flash my lights.

The problem with flashing your lights is it usually means there's something serious going on (road hazard, cops, etc).

I guess I would only flash if I saw a 997 coming at me. That way the P-guy would know (or would he?) it wasn't a hazard/cop.

Wave all you want - flashing is more problematic.

About two weeks ago at the Maine coast an F430 was coming in my direction. Mister, what a beautiful car. I waved...nothing. I felt like my wife had just yelled at me and the neighbor's dog had just bitten me in the tusch after doing his duty on my front lawn. Six miles later a silver 993 approached oncoming. My admittedly feeble wave garnered the most enthusiastic gesticulation. I got the greatest wave, along with a smile that showed two rows of pearly whites. Man, life is good and all is right with the world, I thought.

Don't worry about who waves back. Just spread the cheer and when it comes back to you, enjoy!

I'm going to start waving and see what happens. Maybe a simple raise of the hand. Or maybe a wink at the stoplight. Nothing too nerdy. This is OC, after all.

Let see what happens.

MMD, I may have a logical explanation for Corvette owners snubbing your pleasant waves...

Put your feet into the other guy's shoes, having endured decades of Porsche guys laughing, mocking, sneering, ignoring, looking down their noses at the "inferior, cheap, soul-less, crude, cartoonish, pieces of junk" Corvettes... It's gone on for so long, that they probably see a guy waving from a Porsche and wonder if they're on Candid Camera...

It goes both ways, for certain... But I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it necessarily... There's probably just as many nice and friendly waving and honking Porsche-friendly Corvette folks out there, as there are Porsche guys like you approaching Vette owners with the same good-nature... The ones who don't reciprocate are either wary, or simply caught off-gaurd, or just your average A-holes...

But this also brings up a point.... How do you, online, trash and insult Corvettes in a way that goes beyond unbiased critical-analysis, and then on the other hand, be surprised on the road when they decide not to return your waves... Do you think that they don't see snippets and cut/pastes from Porsche forums on their Corvette forums??

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690053 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409496 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255866 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235096 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65600 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858242 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774390 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM