Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Interior configured - may need to change exterior

After a slew of emails with porsche exclusive, we finally came up with a way to configure the interior in carrera red and black leather, very similar way to the photo below:

Only one problem came up in the configuration: if I get the sport steering wheel the rim will be black and the airbag cover will be red. Does anyone know if the dealer can order a black one for replacement or if there's a way to code just the airbag cover in black?

By going with a black/red interior my exterior color choices may be limited. My dealer said that black or silver would look great. Although I think non-metallic black would look great I'm not in love with the idea of keeping it detailed all the time. Basalt would be an option. Whould white or any other color work well?

Re: Interior configured - may need to change exterior

Carrara White would look great with that combo.

Agreed with white looking great with this combination. GT Silver would be another good exterior choice too but I'd really suggest white instead.

Great combination you've managed to come up with, George! You may be able to get the airbag cover in black but you'd probably have to order the entire airbag unit which will not be cheap. I haven't heard of a way to specify that just the cover piece as a deviated color. You'd think that Porsche would have this option!

I would strongly encourage you to get the model logo compartment cover option, DAD or EGA (can't remember the other option code for the 2nd aluminum shifter/e-brake), and of course the gear trim in leather option too.

What color are the brake calipers going to be? IMO that makes a difference for ext color but if you're keeping steel than agreed black would be best ext color but Basalt would work too, if you get Basalt maybe instead of the black painted center consule & pcm you should get ext color.

Unique interior, I like it! Good luck!

Re: Interior configured - may need to change exter

To avoid appearing insane you're restricted to exterior colors which go with red. How about red!?

Black, white, or silver..., that's about it IMO.

Why not KISS? Exterior color being dictated by interior "whimsy in red leather" that's a big sacrifice to make.

Makes sense for Ferrari or Lambo... .

Value of these comments: us$.02.

Jason, I am getting option CUV for the storage bin lid. I'm still on the fence regarding the ECA shifter/handbrake. I can get the whole steering wheel black if I order the multifunction wheel - I'm just not convinced I want to do that.

Someone brought up a good point rearding the order. Apparently if I do a leather to sample order I will have more control over what color each piece of leather is. For example, by ordering carrera red leather and using the available option codes I couldn't create a bicolor rear side panel area - it would be entirely carrera red. Also, if I wanted to reduce some of the reflectivity by covering the PCM in black leather, I couldn't order the rear center console in black leather as I have the order now. One of the other areas of concern would be the leather ignition surround - if I were to order DAA to get the interior mirror triangles and dash endcaps in black leather, the ignition surround would default to black as well.

After seeing the carrera red leather in person I realized that it was much nicer than photos seemed to suggest. Other options were to do meteor/carrera red with a meteor painted center console, pcm and sport seat backs; or to do a carrara white/carrera red car with leather pcm, rear console and white painted seatbacks. On either alternative scenario most of the exclusive options would be red.

Ezterior Colors that would work IMHO:
    - Any shade of Grey or Silver
    - Black (Non-Metallic)
    - White (Non-Metallic)
    - Red (But only if it matches the interior leather)

How about CF? I think it would look even better if you get the centre consol and all the aluminum looking stuff in CF .

One thing to remember about paint or leather to sample: the '08 order guide shows a cutoff date of Feb 1 for this option.

As for the wheel, I never heard of anything so stupid - if the wheel is black, the airbag cover is black. Never seen it come any other way than one color. Someone might be missing something there. Beyond that, any of the two tone leather options show the black wheel regardless of which interior color for the second tone of the leather, and the airbag cover is always black.

I'd go White or Black. Nothing more complicated than that. Except I'd go with Glacier White - it is the finest White Porsche ever produced - pure bright white, not egg shell.

Good luck.

Eric, the wheel will definitely come with the red center. Stupid or not, it was verified by Porsche Exclusive.

Porsche options have ALWAYS been stupid, those german's are like robots and cannot tell something is wrong with the interior combinations. Witness the missing CDZ trim on almost all of the 6-speed cars out there. At least they didn't give you a black airbag with red rims.

Cant believe this. Did you talk in Person to Porsch Exclusive in Stuttgart. I'm very optimistic that there is a ways that they deliver you a black steering!

Talk to the lead of the Exclusive department. For money, they do everyting.

Anyway - you always can get a spare part in black leather.

saxguy,

You can get the steering wheel in black. I've just helped my sister order a Boxster in colour to sample interior and exterior to a similar spec as your pic with the exception that only the centre section of the door will have colour to sample leather. The bulk of the door will be black as will the carpets/dash/centre console and kneepads either side of the radio unit. The seats/glovebox lid and area either side of the steering column will be orange. All stitching on the black leather areas will be orange and the seats will have black contrasting stitching. She saw a Gallardo in Grigio Proteus with Arrancio Leonis interior and wanted a Boxster done in the same scheme. Here is the order with option codes we needed to achieve this... hope it helps.

987311 Boxster - Individualisation

Exterior colour

25041 Exterior colour to sample Lamborghini Colour: Grigio Proteus

Interior colour

AT Leather interior in black

Interior Leather

XSC Porsche crest embossed on head restraints
    XMZ Rear section of centre console in leather
    XPA Thicker three-spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather
    P77 Sport seats

Exclusive options

Interior Leather

CDZ - Gear lever trim leather. Black leather with orange stitching.
    CFX - Floor mats with coloured logo and leather surround Black Mats with Orange leather trim (Arrancio Leonis Orange Leather)
    CPT - Lid of storage bin with Porsche crest. Black leather with stitching in Orange

Interior Aluminium look

DAD Gear lever and handbrake lever aluminium/leather. Stitching in Orange on both Gearlever and Handbrake

Z-Offers

Seats

25982 - Seats leather to sample. Sports Seats in Orange Leather (Lamborghini Arrancio Leonis Orange Leather). All seat stitching in Black.

Interior

25482 - Door centre panel leather to sample. Finished in Orange Leather (Arrancio
    Leonis Orange Leather)
    25981 - Lower dashboard/Glove compartment leather to sample. Finished in Orange Leather (Arrancio Leonis Orange Leather)

Stitching

26003 - Stitching of door pull handle and storage compartment lid deviating thread individual colour. Stitching in Orange
    26004 - Stitching of door trim deviating thread individual colour
    Stitching in Orange
    26005 Stitching of center console side pads deviating thread individual colour.
    Stitching in Orange
    26002 Stitching of dashboard deviating thread individual colour. Stitching in Orange

Z Offer

Stitching to Steering Wheel in Orange
    Stitching to Rear Centre Console Leather in Orange

I can get the center of the wheel if I order leather to sample - I was trying not to do that for two reasons. First, I was using standard Porsche leather colors and thought I could get there without coding the leather to sample. Second, I have an April '08 allocation. Leather to sample orders have to be placed by February of '08. If wanted to customize it I would have to trade my slot for the first '09 slot.

If you order the interior in full black leather then option out the pieces you want in carrera red you shouldn't need to order colour to sample for an all black steering wheel as that is the standard base colour. As long as you choose in model range colours then I was told ordering an interior like this added up to 12 weeks max to the normal order cycle.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    saxguy,

You can get the steering wheel in black. I've just helped my sister order a Boxster in colour to sample interior and exterior to a similar spec as your pic with the exception that only the centre section of the door will have colour to sample leather. The bulk of the door will be black as will the carpets/dash/centre console and kneepads either side of the radio unit. The seats/glovebox lid and area either side of the steering column will be orange. All stitching on the black leather areas will be orange and the seats will have black contrasting stitching. She saw a Gallardo in Grigio Proteus with Arrancio Leonis interior and wanted a Boxster done in the same scheme.

That's going to be an expensive Boxster!

Look forward to the pics

There's another way I can go to achieve a similar look. I can leave the headliner, visors and dome cover black, deviate the carpets to black(??) and use the black lacquered trim pieces to accent the standard carrera red leather:

XSC - porsche crests in headrest
    XPA - thicker leather sport steering wheel
    CMD - Rear Center Console in black
    CUV - turbo logo in storage bin lid - carrera red
    CMH - Door finishers painted black
    CDZ - Gear trim leather
    XSC - Sport Shifter
    DAA - Interior Leather Package A Pillar
    XNS - Steering Column Leather
    CMP - Instrument Surround Painted Black
    P01 - Adaptive Sport Seats
    XSB - Sport Seat Backs in leather
    CMF - PCM painted black
    24951 - Deviating Carpet - Black
    CMM - Trim Strip Painted Black
    CMR - Belt Outlets on B-Pillars Painted Black

I worked it out on the German configurator (minus the black carpets) and it looked pretty good. Not as good, IMHO, as the first configuration, but still pretty nice.

Would this configuration require a different exterior color (I still like white)? Here's some pics from the configurator:

I'd strongly encourage you to go with black mats. That way it wouldn't get dirty quite so easily! That's going to be quite a "bright" interior!

I know, it definitely will have "presence." It's impossible for me to do the other one as I won't make the cutoff for a leather to sample interior and I can't take a chance that the rear interior panels, interior leather package A Pillar and airbag cover won't match.

Should I do the deviating black carpets, even if it changes the lower portion of the doors?

BTW, the carrera red leather is no where near as bright as the configurator and photos indicate it to be.

Black deviated carpeting might actually go pretty well with the red leather interior. I'm well aware that the images above are not true representatives of the actual color. I've seen the red leather in person before.

Quote:
    saxguy said:
    I can get the center of the wheel if I order leather to sample - I was trying not to do that for two reasons. First, I was using standard Porsche leather colors and thought I could get there without coding the leather to sample. Second, I have an April '08 allocation. Leather to sample orders have to be placed by February of '08. If wanted to customize it I would have to trade my slot for the first '09 slot.

I see - if this is the case, get the red steering wheel and get a second spare part in all black.

Either way - check the red steering in reality, it might be better looking than you think!

dark grey's with that interior are a classic combo. Ferrari, Maser and even Porsche (back in the 50's esp.) did that combo very regularly.

I much prefer the first actual picture vs. the configurator. As for getting a red airbag cover, they DO pop off and you can replace it with a black one, just not until after you get the car...

That first picture with Slate grey would look fantastic. So would black (probably better than aything else).

Slate/Carrera Red:

And yes, the classic with this interior would be dark gray accents (darkest gray carpet, etc).

Quote:
    ScottL said:
    That's going to be an expensive Boxster!

Look forward to the pics

It's not as bad as you'd think to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised. The car isn't due until next March but I will post pics when it arrives

As a designer, I would have you think more about the big picture than the details at this point.

For instance, the first picture you posted is a very well executed interior.

The owner kept it black above the beltline to reduce glare against the windshield and keep order to the design. Likewise, he was smart to go with the black carpeting and lower door panels which get dirty and scuffed. Also, the black foot wells create more depth in the interior making it feel bigger and less confining.

I'm a big fan of black steering wheels, this has been Porsche's achilles heel. They so stubbornly stick to color keyed wheels, but they're gross, as you know!

The pop of the black exterior keyed pieces against the silver parts is also extremely elegant, though the front center console looks really plasticky.

On your design, there is way too much red, punctuated by black pieces. The black bits have no relation to the design and look jarring as a result. The red dash will be fatiguing to your eyes as you drive and the lack of silver trim makes for a very rich interior, stifling in that sense.

So don't get caught up on the bits and pieces.

As for exterior colors. White, yes. Black, yes. Any of the greys and silvers. I really like a dark navy blue with red interior, but generally a more blood red interior.

Quote:
    cym104 said:
    As a designer, I would have you think more about the big picture than the details at this point.

YAY!

Problem with these 997 interiors is that they are potentially waaaaaaay too bizzy. So many materials, shapes, textures, lines, trims, _buttons_, stitching!

The only way _I_ can deal with them is to get everything in black, even the front center console (PCM, etc.) in black to alleviate the cop-car-computer look.

Cym104,

I agree regarding the first photo relative to the second configuration and would like to do the first if it is at all possible.

In terms of the PCM, it can be covered in black leather. The rear center console, I've been told, can't be black leather. If there was any way to do both in black leather I would get it that way. I'm not sure how doing the PCM in black leather and leaving the rear center console painted black would look.

The other issue is with the interior mirror triangles. If DAA is ordered in red the ignition surround, dash endcap and triangles are red. If ordered in black, then the pieces are black. I don't think there is a way to split the individual colors in the package.

My dealer is looking into all of these issues for me. If I can get it done then I think I will go with Carrera White for the exterior.

What I love about this forum is that the guys with money like to take some risks and personalize their cars.

The paint-to-sample and leather-to-sample are very exciting propositions, as if it's not hard enough to pick from the given list!

As a humble Boxster driver, it's very cool to see the process. I'm living vicariously through you!

What I want to do is offer a modest interior design service that assists the client by collecting and combining colors/materials to achieve an exciting, unique and desirable interior.

If anyone is interested drop me a line!

Carbon Fiber vents, trim strip, door handles, door finishers, outer sills & center consule would look awesome with the red imo.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Carbon Fiber vents, trim strip, door handles, door finishers, outer sills & center consule would look awesome with the red imo.

Yep. And there goes the budget!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688702 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408765 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255554 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234813 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857635 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773479 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM