Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Audi has just confirmed plans for an e-tron GT...

Link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/audi-launch-e-tron-gt-tesla-model-s-rival

RC:

So the charging infrastructure is very limited and this fact alone will give Tesla demand for their products??? Please explain because it makes zero sense.

Not sure what needs to be explained? If you buy an I-Pace or E-tron this autumn there will be more or less nowhere to fast charge it. Jag is limited to 100kW CCS and there are close to no chargers available with this speed. All CCS stations out there is 50kW chargers... So it will take 2-3 times as long to charge it compared with a Tesla. Also it is currently less convenient since you need to start charge sessions with apps, rfid badges, different subscriptions etc. With Tesla it's just plug-and-play between Superchargers.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Audi has just confirmed plans for an e-tron GT...

Link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/audi-launch-e-tron-gt-tesla-model-s-rival

I'm getting bored of all these 3D renders. Give me a car that I can purchase instead.

And it is beyond me that they continue to be proud of coming out with something that will rival a Tesla Model S from 2013... If they at least could come up with something with better specs that sounds impressive. 2020 is still 2 years out.

Imagine if Porsche said in 2021 the new Turbo S will be better than the Ferrari 488. That's pretty much what's going on in this thread.

lukestern:
    RC:

So the charging infrastructure is very limited and this fact alone will give Tesla demand for their products??? Please explain because it makes zero sense.

Not sure what needs to be explained? If you buy an I-Pace or E-tron this autumn there will be more or less nowhere to fast charge it. Jag is limited to 100kW CCS and there are close to no chargers available with this speed. All CCS stations out there is 50kW chargers... So it will take 2-3 times as long to charge it compared with a Tesla.

So how many superchargers are out there? Smiley What is easier? To use a charger station available in basically every city or driving 50 km or more to find the next supercharger? Smiley

Also it is currently less convenient since you need to start charge sessions with apps, rfid badges, different subscriptions etc. With Tesla it's just plug-and-play between Superchargers.

Seriously? This takes basically a couple of seconds, especially with RFID badges. Even with an app, what does an additional minute count on a charge which takes at least 30 minutes? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

noone1:

Imagine if Porsche said in 2021 the new Turbo S will be better than the Ferrari 488. That's pretty much what's going on in this thread.

The irony is that Audi have modified their marketing strategy to neutralise Tesla's own predilection for announcing models (and accepting deposits) long before the car is actually available for production and delivery... Smiley

It seems that the equity are credit analysts are growing impatient with Elon Musk's failure to meet even the most pessimistic of production forecasts. More troubling for those analysts trying to prepare financial forecasts for TSLA is that it is not clear that Tesla can produce the Model 3 with a positive gross margin! If the Model 3 turns out to be a loss leader, Tesla has a big liquidity problem in the next 12 months... Smiley

(NB: It's also worth keeping an eye on Tesla's credit rating...)

By contrast, Audi has just reported 2017 revenes of €60 billion (1,878,105 cars sold) and profit after tax up 68% to €3.4 billion... Smiley

Link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/audi-records-68-leap-profit-dieselgate-effect-fades

RC:
    lukestern:
    RC:

Not sure what needs to be explained? If you buy an I-Pace or E-tron this autumn there will be more or less nowhere to fast charge it. Jag is limited to 100kW CCS and there are close to no chargers available with this speed. All CCS stations out there is 50kW chargers... So it will take 2-3 times as long to charge it compared with a Tesla.

So how many superchargers are out there? Smiley What is easier? To use a charger station available in basically every city or driving 50 km or more to find the next supercharger? Smiley

Superchargers (DC) are for longer journeys, where charging speed is important. In cities or at home the car will be charged via AC while sleeping, being at a shopping mall, working or doing something else. It can't be compared with filling up with petrol...

Superchargers are very convenient place a long side the bigger roads where it is needed when driving outside of the battery range and there are not many places in Europe where you can't drive already today. Tesla have about 400 stations in Europe with about 10 stalls on average for each station and new stations are added every week.

Also it is currently less convenient since you need to start charge sessions with apps, rfid badges, different subscriptions etc. With Tesla it's just plug-and-play between Superchargers.

Seriously? This takes basically a couple of seconds, especially with RFID badges. Even with an app, what does an additional minute count on a charge which takes at least 30 minutes? Smiley

Sure, it's not that big of an issue, but it's still easier to just push a button on the charge cable (the charge door auto open) and you plug in and walk away from the car that will auto close...

The coming Ionity CCS network will also be automatic and you need to sign a contract and billing etc will be manage automatically. Just the same way that Tesla does it today.

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    noone1:

The irony is that Audi have modified their marketing strategy to neutralise Tesla's own predilection for announcing models (and accepting deposits) long before the car is actually available for production and delivery... Smiley

It seems that the equity are credit analysts are growing impatient with Elon Musk's failure to meet even the most pessimistic of production forecasts. More troubling for those analysts trying to prepare financial forecasts for TSLA is that it is not clear that Tesla can produce the Model 3 with a positive gross margin! If the Model 3 turns out to be a loss leader, Tesla has a big liquidity problem in the next 12 months... Smiley

(NB: It's also worth keeping an eye on Tesla's credit rating...)

By contrast, Audi has just reported 2017 revenes of €60 billion (1,878,105 cars sold) and profit after tax up 68% to €3.4 billion... Smiley

Link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/audi-records-68-leap-profit-dieselgate-effect-fades

What does all your financial predictions got to do with the fact that Audi aim for challenging something in 2020 that Tesla did put in hands of customers 2013? I would have expect more from a profitable company like Audi. They have the funds, but lack the vision.

No, Audi (VW Group) hits the market when they think it could become profitable. Pretty simple reason.

This doesn't have anything to do with lack of vision but money. How much money did Elon Musk make with his "vision" again lately? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

lukestern:

Superchargers (DC) are for longer journeys, where charging speed is important. In cities or at home the car will be charged via AC while sleeping, being at a shopping mall, working or doing something else. It can't be compared with filling up with petrol...

Superchargers are very convenient place a long side the bigger roads where it is needed when driving outside of the battery range and there are not many places in Europe where you can't drive already today. Tesla have about 400 stations in Europe with about 10 stalls on average for each station and new stations are added every week.

Funny, you actually made my point that Superchargers aren't really necessary or a real buying argument for daily driving.

Conveniently placed? Not in Germany and many other EU countries.

--

RC:

No, Audi (VW Group) hits the market when they think it could become profitable. Pretty simple reason.

This doesn't have anything to do with lack of vision but money. How much money did Elon Musk make with his "vision" again lately? Smiley

I guess VW should have bought Tesla then since Tesla is valued at $50B...

RC:
    lukestern:

Funny, you actually made my point that Superchargers aren't really necessary or a real buying argument for daily driving.

Your point? I thought you said that an EV is useless because of long recharge times? I've always said that EV is the best alternative for daily commutes to/from work and charge at home overnight. But for making it convenient even for longer trips, a well built out charging network is important.

Based on what? Please explain, because this is clearly another misconception from someone who haven't tested it...

lukestern:
    Your point? I thought you said that an EV is useless because of long recharge times? I've always said that EV is the best alternative for daily commutes to/from work and charge at home overnight. But for making it convenient even for longer trips, a well built out charging network is important.

For me, an EV is useless because it is no fun to drive. I can imagine for other people to drive one, for example for daily commutes to work and back home but if they have a garage, charging is not a problem but if not? We have no public charging possibilities along the roads where parking spots are available overnight in residential areas. Most people in Germany live in condos, not houses.

Based on what? Please explain, because this is clearly another misconception from someone who haven't tested it...

Simple example: I takes me around 20 minutes to get to the next Autobahn from my home and I'd have to drive another 20 minutes or so on the Autobahn to get to the next Supercharger. 40 minutes total. Pointless.

Most people will use EVs inside cities, this is where the charging infrastructure is needed first. In Europe, there are going to be serious infrastructure issues because there simply isn't enough room for that. A car needs five minutes to fuel up but much much longer to charge. Huge (capacity) problem.

Even in Norway, the EV country in Europe, there are serious capacity (charging infrastructure) issues right now, there was an interesting TV report about that. Interesting enough, the first place in EV registrations is held by the VW Golf (e-Golf). Smiley

--

RC:

Yeah, that's the definition of being a follower, not a leader...

Not much money yet if you look pass the market value of Tesla and SpaceX...

In terms of vision Musk at least have had impact on the other automakers strategy the coming 5 years

RC:
    lukestern:

For me, an EV is useless because it is no fun to drive. I can imagine for other people to drive one, for example for daily commutes to work and back home but if they have a garage, charging is not a problem but if not? We have no public charging possibilities along the roads where parking spots are available overnight in residential areas. Most people in Germany live in condos, not houses.

It's different type of fun. But of course it's no V8 thrills. But again, most people doesn't care and probably more people think it's great with a quieter car.

Those people who currently today don't have access to home charging can either try to fix it or just wait with buying an EV until the public infrastructure is better built out. In some places it's actually easier to get an EV parking than a normal parking. But to be honest, how many people in the market for an Audi E-tron, Porsche Mission-E or Tesla doesn't keep the car in garage? I would not want my 100k car stand out in a public car park at least. And for those people who buy these types of car, overnight charging while sleeping is easy to fix. You just need to want to fix it.

Simple example: I takes me around 20 minutes to get to the next Autobahn from my home and I'd have to drive another 20 minutes or so on the Autobahn to get to the next Supercharger. 40 minutes total. Pointless.

Why would you drive 40 minutes from home to a Supercharger? If you're on a longer trip you'd probably drive another hour or two before stopping over for a re-charge...  Over night when the car is parked you charge slower and leave home fully charged each morning. You got to understand that you don't drive to get to a Supercharger and "fill up" like you do with your petrol car. You use it on longer road trips while necessary. Think you need a crash course in how it works with different types of chargers. Destination chargers, fast chargers etc.

Most people will use EVs inside cities, this is where the charging infrastructure is needed first. In Europe, there are going to be serious infrastructure issues because there simply isn't enough room for that. A car needs five minutes to fuel up but much much longer to charge. Huge (capacity) problem.

If you only drive inside cities you don't drive any distance either and hence don't need to recharge. Maybe once a week if you only pop around to day care, the local shop etc. And that day a week the car needs to be filled up, it will be done over night while sleeping. OR you charge up a few km of charge here and there. 50km added at the local mall, 100km added at work, etc.

Even in Norway, the EV country in Europe, there are serious capacity (charging infrastructure) issues right now, there was an interesting TV report about that. Interesting enough, the first place in EV registrations is held by the VW Golf (e-Golf). Smiley

Not strange at all. 50% of all sold cars in Norway are either EV or plug-in Hybrid. It's growing faster than expected and infrastructure need to catch up. And it will.

E-golf is a great car so not sure why that is braking news that it sell well? It's a perfect small car for daily commutes.

lukestern:

-------------------------------------------------
    Times they are a changin

Not possible to install a charger for technical reasons in my parking lot (rented) although the whole house was built 2000.

Four chargers in front of my house in the center of Munich (I live in a condo). But: between 9:00 am and 10:00pm you are only allowed to park no longer than 4 hours. Much easier to find a parking opportunity for an EV than a normal car because in my neighborhood.

Just take a look at Norway and you'll understand the challenges for charging stations. I was surprised myself, especially since over 53% of the new cars are EVs and they have a huge number of EVs (compared to other countries, especially in Europe). 

The only way to promote EVs in massive numbers is to involve the government and tax money.

Meaning: 

1. Charging stations everywhere on public roads where parking spots are available (which would cost billions)

2. No VAT for EVs, no auto tax either

3. Cheap(er) energy for EVs (charging stations)

4. Parking facilitations in crowded cities

--

lukestern:
    RC:

Yeah, that's the definition of being a follower, not a leader...

Not much money yet if you look pass the market value of Tesla and SpaceX...

In terms of vision Musk at least have had impact on the other automakers strategy the coming 5 years

The transition to electric is not because Musk is a visionary but instead by global regulations, especially the EU’s, China’s, and California’s, to limit carbon emissions.  Just like how Europe’s fuel tax policy had caused consumers to seek out diesel instead of gasoline powered cars.   Volkswagen made the decision to switch to EV development as its, and the regulatory bodies’ actions, tarnished diesels market appeal.   It was an economic decision based on cost, profit, and technology objectives only in the face of regulatory restrictions on carbon    Tesla is just an easy target to describe to the consumer, as the transition to electric would be occurring if that company existed or not.  General Motors was the first automaker with a modern EV, with that product decision based on California’s stringent regulations, but the car was released ahead of the lithium ion battery technology curve, so performance suffered.   As written here before, Tesla “borrowed” its technology from AC Propulsion, the company that worked on the GM EV project with AeroVironment.

Tesla’s Supercharge network is another easily reproducible asset but why would an automaker make that investment investment before it has many long range EVs in the marketplace?  The majors have plans, standards, and more importantly, alliances in place to build out networks.   For example, Volkswagen has allocated, in part as fines for violating U.S. and CARB emission standards, $350 million for a charging network in the States.  Compare that with Tesla’s investment in its Supercharger network.   Volkswagen can, and will, invest sums greater than Tesla’s entire development budget to date, on a charging network with nary a hit to its cash position.   Meanwhile, Tesla is hemorrhaging cash for a very limited pool.

The current VW "Diesel scandal" has substantially accelerated the transition to EVs...or better said...it has accelerated the awareness at car manufacturers that a transition is necessary sooner than later. It will take years though, probably decades.

--

RC:

The current VW "Diesel scandal" has substantially accelerated the transition to EVs...or better said...it has accelerated the awareness at car manufacturers that a transition is necessary sooner than later. It will take years though, probably decades.

--

Carbon goals were almost achievable with diesels but since there is a crackdown on loose compliance, the automakers are forced to accept an electric future.  Strange how China, the gross polluter it is, is leading the charge.  Perhaps it has something to do with China controlling a significant portion of the supply chain required to produce EVs.  

Well, China certainly isn't unhappy since a move to EVs could open completely new markets for them for their still in the early beginnings but thriving EV industry (not even talking about parts).

They couldn't compete with petrol/Diesel engine cars but now? The cards have been reshuffled, huge chance for the Chinese car industry here. Unless of course the Western car industry accelerates their development/innovation cycles.

--

There's no way electric cars would be where they are today with Tesla. Would they have eventually existed? Sure, but they'd probably be 5-10 years later. It's like saying mobile phones would be where they are today had Apple not existed.

Driving a tesla model s is on of the funniest things you can actually do in a legal way, 0-100 in 3 secs is fun, since you cannot drive dritfing ( i mean not always..hahaha) i dont get how a normal car ca be fun if not rwd and with a lot of hp.

the suv are not fun , the sw are not fun( just some are) the normal sedans are not fun( if not with hp and rwd), then sport cars are another planet, they are borned to have fun with.

i really want the ev to be really usable for the normal daily use and give me sport cars and historica

l cars to have fun with.

so i hope tesla will succed with their business

--

993 c2

noone1:

There's no way electric cars would be where they are today with Tesla. Would they have eventually existed? Sure, but they'd probably be 5-10 years later. It's like saying mobile phones would be where they are today had Apple not existed.

I never said Tesla wasn't a pioneer. In the history books (or Wikipedia Smiley), Tesla (aka Elon Musk) already has a place there.

--

Another flattering article from the financial press... yes

"Tesla Is Facing a Crucible" (Bloomberg)

(16 March 2018)

Jim Chanos, the short seller famous for betting against Enron, has said he thinks Tesla Inc.’s stock is “worthless.” Chanos got some new evidence this week that may support his short sales against Elon Musk’s car company. A string of executives have headed gorbthe exits, including a surprising number from the company’s finance team, as Tesla is dogged by questions about whether it can meet its production targets.

The chief financial officer left abruptly last year in a curious turn of events, where he was replaced by his predecessor: Deepak Ahuja served as Tesla’s CFO from 2008 to 2015 and then took over the job again in March 2017. Then late last year, one of Tesla’s audit committee members, Steve Jurvetson, went on leave from the board. The vice president of business development and director of battery technology both left in the past year. Jon McNeill, one of Tesla’s most senior executives, went to take the chief operating officer job at Lyft Inc. last month. Eric Branderiz, Tesla’s chief accounting officer, departed last week. And Bloomberg reported this week that Susan Repo, the corporate treasurer and vice president of finance, is out.

The press has rightly been focused on trying to figure out how badly Tesla will miss its production targets for the all-important Model 3 electric sedan. After all, actually building cars is pretty important to Tesla’s business.

Bloomberg built a Tesla Model 3 Tracker. The data show Tesla is producing approximately 737 cars a week. In July, Tesla predicted that it would produce 5,000 Model 3s a week by the end of 2017. Oops.

Tesla has steadily rolled back its production targets and still looks like it will be behind schedule. According to Bloomberg’s analysis, Tesla Model 3 output has actually slowed from February when it was producing something like 936 Model 3s a week. My colleague Dana Hull reported that Tesla temporarily suspended production in late February, potentially explaining the slowdown.

CNBC reported Wednesday that many of the vehicles coming off Tesla’s assembly line required more work. One employee estimated that “40 percent of the parts made or received at its Fremont factor require work,” the article said. Some investors surely found Tesla’s response to the article to be laughable. The company’s statement reads, “In what world is the pursuit of perfection looked down on? Not one we want to live in.”

Ah yes, a story about how Tesla is producing cars in an inefficient fashion is really about a company with high standards.

On Thursday, the Wall Street Journal declared it “Tesla's Make-Or-Break Moment." That article rightly points out that Tesla had $3.4 billion of cash at the end of 2017 and that last year it burned $1 billion a quarter. Do the math, and Tesla either needs to generate more revenue or raise more money soon.

The Journal’s story observes that Tesla has a so-called Z-Score (a measure of a company’s financial security) of 1.26. “Any company with a score below 1.8 is considered distressed by many investors. A score of 1.0 or lower suggests bankruptcy is likely within two years,” they write.

The financial markets have given Tesla a long leash, but the evidence against the viability of its business continues to mount. About 23 percent of publicly traded Tesla stock is being used to bet against the automaker. That’s a lot of short sellers.

Of course, Chanos has been warning against Tesla since at least October 2016. “The whole thing is just sort of this mélange of publicly traded and privately traded science projects gone awry. So we’ll see how it works out,” he said at the time. Despite his years-long bets against the company, the stock has been climbing. The Tesla Hype Train keeps going...

Link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-16/tesla-is-facing-a-crucible

This is an awesome move by Musk, hope he is able to pull it off

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/spacex-starlink-elon-musk-news/

Hope its possible to do, you can't believe everything Musk says, but kudos for even trying since it would be huge especially for consumers (so many people would have access to high speed broadband and those that already have it won't depend anymore on land connection monopolies and abuse) and the possibilities it opens up for new technology.

Go Space X...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

The theory was there for ages but if this happens, many big Cooperations and major telecom companies don't like it

Elon is an alien. We should listen to him and invest. Just kidding - sort of. It does help to spot the next buggy whip maker to short. 

martini964:

The theory was there for ages but if this happens, many big Cooperations and major telecom companies don't like it

I'm sure they won't, which will be great. Still, its a huge endeavor, not sure he will pull it off Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

This is an awesome move by Musk, hope he is able to pull it off

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/spacex-starlink-elon-musk-news/

Hope its possible to do, you can't believe everything Musk says, but kudos for even trying since it would be huge especially for consumers (so many people would have access to high speed broadband and those that already have it won't depend anymore on land connection monopolies and abuse) and the possibilities it opens up for new technology.

Go Space X...

--

Funny: Elon Musk warns of the dangers of AI taking over and now he wants to build Skynet...oops...Starlink. Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM