Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

RC:

You know that the Tesla S battery needs a certain temperature to be able to engage ludicrous mode, right? Smiley

Think I've written about this in other threads several months ago... But since I've had experienced a P100D for several months and tested it in all sorts of conditions, here is a bit input on the topic of Ludicrous...

Tesla sent out an OTA update to all P100D beginning of 2017 with an "Easter egg" called ludicrous+, which improved performance for 0-100km/h by 0,1 second. While engaging the Easter egg you get a notification warning that using this mode can accelerate wear on the drivetrain so it should be used with caution.  There is also a complementary feature that can heat up the battery. It's labeled "Max Battery Power" and with this engaged it is possible to warm up the battery quicker. At 50 degrees the battery gives max performance and there are also visual extra gauges added in the instrument cluster, that is not there in normal Ludicrous mode. You can see temperatures and motor power for instance.

Based on my tests I couldn't hardly notice any difference while having the car in L+ mode with max battery power warmed up to 50 degrees. And I tested several times. And after having tested it a few times I then never bothered to engage it again because the cooling fans were running all the time in this mode which was a bit annoying. In normal Ludicrous mode the cooling fans are not noticeable. Not sure anyone would be capable of feeling any difference of 0,1 anyhow so it's just not worth fiddling with battery heating etc for gaining 0,1 sec to 100 but at the same time increasing wear on the drivetrain and loosing power much sooner while performing lot's of accelerations.

What in general is a misconception is that the battery needs to be warm to engage Ludicrous mode. This is simply false. You could wake up in the morning jump into the cold car and just floor it. You will then maybe get 0-100km/h in 2,8 sec instead of if you take all the above described steps, then you can improve by 0,2 sec to 100km/h. Worthless if you ask me! Actually, I never had anything else than "Ludicrous" mode engaged while I had the car and it was default mode when I got into the car. So no need to push any buttons etc, all power on tap at all times.

I tested quite a few consecutive accelerations from 0-100km/h on several occasions. No problem at all. And I can with 100% confidence say that even after the 10th run during a 20 minute (or there about) interval it was no difference. Maybe it slowed down from 2,7sec to 2,9 sec, I don't know, but I for sure couldn't tell any difference. This was in normal Ludicrous mode and not L+

The performance specified on Tesla homepage for P100D is 0-100 in 2,7 sec, which is for Ludicrous mode. The L+ is not even mentioned. It's clearly a gimmick and to be honest I think it would've been better if they never did release that L+ mode at all.

I think Porsche did their tests with L+ mode and in this mode they got some earlier power fades. Not sure how they would have accomplished this otherwise. For normal usage it's a none issue anyway. The battery might limit the performance after crazy many accelerations in a row, but who needs that anyway? Smiley

Well there is always the chance for a conspiracy theory that Tesla manipulated the cars that Porsche so they were so bad Porsche couldn't get any valuable assessment out of them. You know utilizing their over the air undercover agent mode indecision

AP911:

Well there is always the chance for a conspiracy theory that Tesla manipulated the cars that Porsche so they were so bad Porsche couldn't get any valuable assessment out of them. You know utilizing their over the air undercover agent mode indecision

Would of been hilarious if Tesla continuously played back and forth with the settings of those Teslas via OTA just to drive the Porsche engineers testing theme crazy and troll them Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    AP911:

Would of been hilarious if Tesla continuously played back and forth with the settings of those Teslas via OTA just to drive the Porsche engineers testing theme crazy and troll them Smiley

It would have been so easy. Cars have GPS so Tesla know exactly where their cars are at at all times.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    AP911:

I wouldn't exclude this, it would fit Elon Musk's egomaniac profile (keep in mind that I admire him, this wasn't meant as an insult).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Musk says Tesla will be cash flow positive in Q3-4... Take it with the usual giant grain of salt... Model Y Sep 19...

SciFrog:

Musk says Tesla will be cash flow positive in Q3-4... Take it with the usual giant grain of salt... Model Y Sep 19...

In that same CBS Morning show interview, actually across several days, Musk states that they had to remove layers of automation on the Model 3 line and bring in more people. This is an extraordinary admission of how far behind they are in manufacturing know how as plant design is a mature field nowadays.   This also implies that without adding another line, weekly production is basically capped at roughly 2,000 units. 

I refuse to drive a car ( or appliance in case of Tesla) that can be controlled/accessed/connected in any way with the entity I have no control over myself.

absent:

I refuse to drive a car ( or appliance in case of Tesla) that can be controlled/accessed/connected in any way with the entity I have no control over myself.

Is this dynamic enough? https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/amtv/videos/3357

Today's news:  another production halt, not long, just 4-5 days or so.... to sort of fix things.... improve automation processes, sort out bottlenecks.  And are employees re-assigned to speed up this maintenance halt?  No, they are told to stay home without pay, or use vacation days.  ??????????  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-17/tesla-temporarily-pauses-production-of-the-model-3-sedan-again

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

E-mail to all Tesla employees from Elon
    https://electrek.co/2018/04/17/tesla-model-3-production-goal-6000-units-per-week/

lukestern:

https://electrek.co/2018/04/17/tesla-model-3-production-goal-6000-units-per-week/

Wow... such a letter... don't even know where to start  Smiley

"...disappointed to discover how many contractor companies are interwoven throughout Tesla."  - I never met any CEO who couldn't not only draw you the exact org. chart, but explain exactly why it looks like it does.  Shocking admission. 

"All contracting companies should consider the coming week to be a final opportunity to demonstrate excellence. Any that fail to meet the Tesla standard of excellence will have their contracts ended on Monday." - so a unilateral termination of  multiple contractors' agreements?  Irrespective of whatever was agreed to?  Sounds like fantastic business for lawyers as contractors sue Tesla... and killing a bunch of contractors hardly contributes to the desired ramp-up of production.  

Musk should try to deliver more and talk less... much less.  

--

Wish them all the luck! I really do. After all, they have kicked all other lazy manufacturers in the butt to produce some electric cars.

Such a leader, I wish the world had more people like him... Best tolerance margin in the world?

4trac:
    lukestern:

Wow... such a letter... don't even know where to start  Smiley

"...disappointed to discover how many contractor companies are interwoven throughout Tesla."  - I never met any CEO who couldn't not only draw you the exact org. chart, but explain exactly why it looks like it does.  Shocking admission. 

"All contracting companies should consider the coming week to be a final opportunity to demonstrate excellence. Any that fail to meet the Tesla standard of excellence will have their contracts ended on Monday." - so a unilateral termination of  multiple contractors' agreements?  Irrespective of whatever was agreed to?  Sounds like fantastic business for lawyers as contractors sue Tesla... and killing a bunch of contractors hardly contributes to the desired ramp-up of production.  

Musk should try to deliver more and talk less... much less.  

--

Suggest that Mr. Musk give this a read when he turns in from the factory floor this evening.  http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2086680_2086683_2087688,00.html

How many people in this thread have every built and operated a car manufacturing factory?

noone1:

How many people in this thread have every built and operated a car manufacturing factory?

Raises hand with regard to automotive facility and product design experience.  Currently in PE/late stage venture in the advanced manufacturing stack. 

So you've built and operated a car manufacturing plant just like the one Tesla has?

noone1:

How many times have 'this' CEO that has built and operate a car manufacturing factory failed to meet his own production target among all his models? 

He knows his own factory, he built it himself,  he also clearly knows his own track record, which is perfect in missing targets. 

Can't think of another CEO that can so consistently missing targets and still have a job.

--

Yet it's the VAG CEOs getting fired left and right...

noone1:

Well, I don't think many are saying they should not be getting fired; VW has made many large screw-ups.  But at least their Board of Advisors, despite criticisms about their lack of independence, is making decisions and holding CEOs accountable.  This is much more difficult with Tesla, which to be fair, is not that different from many tech companies, which grow to a point where they have outlived the talents of their founder, and usually have great difficulty in managing a transition to a new CEO with more appropriate skill sets.  Even more tricky when the founder has a big shareholding, and many directors are using an allegiance-to-CEO mindset rather than a fiduciary one.  

--

Shareholders seem pretty damn happy and voted for a big compensation package for him recently, so hard to argue people aren't doing their fiduciary duty...

noone1:

Shareholders seem pretty damn happy and voted for a big compensation package for him recently, so hard to argue people aren't doing their fiduciary duty...

And we have been saying Elon is a great salesman selling his dream for the longest time. He is one of the best smoke and mirror CEO that's for sure!

--

noone1:

Not because VW Group isn't profitable... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

noone1:

Funny, neither did Elon Musk before he started Tesla Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:

Funny, neither did Elon Musk before he started Tesla Smiley

Smiley Good one.

--

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

And we have been saying Elon is a great salesman selling his dream for the longest time. He is one of the best smoke and mirror CEO that's for sure!

You have to give it to him, he is the best for that. He is the only one that gives you the "opportunity" to buy a 3,000$ option that does not exist, not will ever exist, an people buy it... genius! Smiley

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/04/why-selling-full-self-driving-before-its-ready-could-backfire-for-tesla/

Tesla charges $5,000 for Autopilot's lane-keeping and advanced cruise control features. On top of that, customers can pay $3,000 for what Tesla describes as "Full Self-Driving Capability."

"All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go," Tesla's ordering page says. "Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed."

The problem is that Tesla hasn't created the technology yet. Indeed, the company could be years away from completing work on it, and some experts doubt it will ever be possible to achieve full self-driving capabilities with the hardware installed on today's Tesla vehicles.

The most obvious thing missing from Tesla's cars, from an autonomy perspective, is lidar. The companies that have made the most progress toward fully self-driving cars—including Waymo, Uber, and GM's Cruise—all have lidar on their cars.

The company has been taking customers' money for a product that doesn't exist yet, while making unrealistic promises about when the technology will be ready. In June 2016, Musk predicted that the world was "less than two years away from complete autonomy."

Musk predicted in October 2016 that Tesla vehicles would be capable of full autonomy from Los Angeles to New York by the end of 2017.

--

No one thought they could sell 100K Model S/X per year either, yet here they are, eating the German's lunch.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    690973 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410120 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256179 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235398 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65742 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858782 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775090 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM