Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Whoopsy:

RC, all you need is a transportation device, a Tesla fits that bill perfectly. A basic, no frill thing that gets you from point A to point B. 

It's a perfect job for an EV. 

This used to be the territory for diesels, but EV has taken over that segment.

You can run it to the ground without feeling sad. 

You clients might have some comments if they see a Tesla parked out front when they visit you though.

Yes all that. I beat the hell out of all my cars though. The turbo is back in the shop having the motor pulled. 
    I doubt your customers will think worse of you. Play the green card!  
    In town you will give up little advantage at red lights. 

Whoopsy:

RC, all you need is a transportation device, a Tesla fits that bill perfectly. A basic, no frill thing that gets you from point A to point B. 

You clients might have some comments if they see a Tesla parked out front when they visit you though.

Exactly my thoughts Smiley but there is still that little gadgetry excitement (which may wear off fast though).

My customers would love the car...believe it or not. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Exactly my thoughts Smiley but there is still that little gadgetry excitement (which may wear off fast though).

My customers would love the car...believe it or not. Smiley

You mean they don't want to see you in a Peugeot diesel? Smiley

--

New contestant for "who's got the biggest d**k"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAMtX5pGLqY

Model X:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jyPkg0yXzM

Amateurs.  Audi’s latest Matrix Lighting system displays animations on the road or wall using its one million pixel system.  See the video attached to the linked article.  The animations are shown at the 3:00 mark.  https://www.engadget.com/2019-11-19-audi-e-tron-headlight-tech.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAG_rdRJpLu092DeDfh2jwid7m3GNp7FPQWe7SD91rI5ZeLgdRRsPW_PSJByRpD7OyIlb3BqsXR01mvXtsLu11uL1GRS_jpqknjqA5BXzuMt5IQDNv9hxyhqhxVrzVmOdH8aWh-IuBRG_nunawCTvfNrWfRrhsOoQprp5aWgfNxF7

Whoopsy:

Smiley God forbid, then they would think I'm bad at my job and never come again. Smiley

Actually, I have to say that lately, I haven't heard any negative comments about the car, which is refreshing. Maybe it has to do with the pandemic, people are pre-occupied with other things than what someone drives. I think.

An EV would definitely "fit" my clientele but I think a Taycan would be a problem to be honest, since it is considered more of a luxury car than an EV. Most of my customers are regular customers, some know me for over 20 years, so it is more a matter of trust than anything else, I could probably park my Lambo in front of the business and they would still come. Since the pandemic started, I see many new faces though, mostly young(er) people, many students who live here in the neighbourhood because they want to support local businesses (very commendable). Good for my business but I do not think that an expensive EV would help. I think a Tesla 3 Performance would be perfect, very stealth and still an EV. My dream EV would still be the Taycan Turbo S though. In white, with PCCB (yellow). It looks amazing in this color combo, with all those blacked out parts. 

7-PORSCHE-TAYCAN-drive-report-.jpg 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Smiley God forbid, then they would think I'm bad at my job and never come again. Smiley

Actually, I have to say that lately, I haven't heard any negative comments about the car, which is refreshing. Maybe it has to do with the pandemic, people are pre-occupied with other things than what someone drives. I think.

An EV would definitely "fit" my clientele but I think a Taycan would be a problem to be honest, since it is considered more of a luxury car than an EV. Most of my customers are regular customers, some know me for over 20 years, so it is more a matter of trust than anything else, I could probably park my Lambo in front of the business and they would still come. Since the pandemic started, I see many new faces though, mostly young(er) people, many students who live here in the neighbourhood because they want to support local businesses (very commendable). Good for my business but I do not think that an expensive EV would help. I think a Tesla 3 Performance would be perfect, very stealth and still an EV. My dream EV would still be the Taycan Turbo S though. In white, with PCCB (yellow). It looks amazing in this color combo, with all those blacked out parts. 

7-PORSCHE-TAYCAN-drive-report-.jpg 

Exactly. A Taycan is a luxury car first and a EV second. Very unlike the Tesla where it is a EV first, and isn't even a luxury car.

--

right colour for white goods.... 

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, X3 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

While not a luxury car it does compete with them very successfully. What does this say about ‘luxury cars’. 
    Hope RC gets one. It will be fun to see a write up. 

Guys, let me tell you I just find the best possible car ever. I will never change it as this is the one. 
    12-18 months later...Wow guys, I found the best car ever...

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

Guys, let me tell you I just find the best possible car ever. I will never change it as this is the one. 

With girlfriends the timeframe can be even shorter. Give RC credit for still being married. He is compensating. 

Now that's a properly good looking delivery van.

Tesla should have gone into that market. Makes perfect sense for delivery vans to be all converted to EV. They all travel inside the cities and constantly starting and stopping. And the vans can be recharged while they are being loaded.

--

the-missile:

Smiley 

I had my 997 Turbo RUF 550 for five(!) years, so... Very happy with that car but the Tiptronic kind of annoyed me (I wanted it, didn't think it would be that bad when shifting manually) and five years later, the other sports cars caught up and I wasn't the fastest around anymore. Smiley Smiley

I said it before: I was looking for the holy grail of sports cars, a mix between a family car and a sports car. It didn't work for me, there is no such thing. 

The R8 V10 Plus was already exactly what I always looked for but I was hoping for a R8 V10 GT or something similar and it never came. The Performante is actually my GT3 "upgrade" to the R8 V10 Plus, as weird as this may sound. The Performante is exactly what I wanted the R8 V10 Plus to be and I couldn't be happier.

So sadly (or luckily?) no more new sports car for me, unless I make a nice profit on the stock markets and get something additional(!) to the Performante. A 812 would be on my mind...but in reality, I have everything I need and barely have the time to drive my Performante. 

--

RC:
    the-missile:

Smiley 

I had my 997 Turbo RUF 550 for five(!) years, so... Very happy with that car but the Tiptronic kind of annoyed me (I wanted it, didn't think it would be that bad when shifting manually) and five years later, the other sports cars caught up and I wasn't the fastest around anymore. Smiley Smiley

I said it before: I was looking for the holy grail of sports cars, a mix between a family car and a sports car. It didn't work for me, there is no such thing. 

The R8 V10 Plus was already exactly what I always looked for but I was hoping for a R8 V10 GT or something similar and it never came. The Performante is actually my GT3 "upgrade" to the R8 V10 Plus, as weird as this may sound. The Performante is exactly what I wanted the R8 V10 Plus to be and I couldn't be happier.

So sadly (or luckily?) no more new sports car for me, unless I make a nice profit on the stock markets and get something additional(!) to the Performante. A 812 would be on my mind...but in reality, I have everything I need and barely have the time to drive my Performante. 

Buy Tesla stock, they say it will go to $10,000 a share remember? 

--

https://insideevs.com/news/436912/driver-suspended-adjusting-wiper-speed-model-3/

Finally someone have some kind of common sense.

Operating a touch screen inside a car is the same if not worse than operating a cell phone, I hope this turned into something bigger, outlawing touch screens inside a moving car, or at least for the front row. Clearing the way for the return of the much safer physical buttons.

--

Tested: 2020 Tesla Model Y Long Range Crosses Over Into the Mainstream (Car and Driver)

The 2020 Model Y is the first Tesla that doesn't purport to do things in a bold and radically new way. Rather, it's a crossover version of the Model 3 sedan aimed squarely at the mainstream buyer.

(24 June 2020)

2020 tesla model y long range

Driving a Tesla can be a revelation. It's partly the way they look. Tesla pioneered building a dedicated EV that doesn't seem intentionally ugly. Then there's the perform­ance. Anyone who has sat behind the wheel of a Tesla with Ludicrous or Insane acceleration modes knows that these are no weenie compliance cars. And there's the perception that everyone else in the EV game builds appliances whereas Tesla builds status symbols, something entirely new.

Setting up a Tesla, your brain—trained by a lifetime of expectation—wonders if having a dedicated control to adjust the side mirrors is actually necessary and if you'll ever remember where the hazard-light button is when you need it (psst, it's above you). But then once you start going, if you're in a Model S or a Model 3, you'll experience the simple joy that comes from driving a car that's quick and quiet and that handles well. Tesla's electric powertrains really are remarkable, and considering everything the company provides—from Supercharging to Dog mode to over-the-air updates—we understand why so many Tesla owners say they'll never buy from any other carmaker.

Calling it an instrument panel just seems wrong; how about "panel panel"?

But then we come to the Model Y. Hopping from Car and Driver's long-term Model 3 into the Model Y—which we sourced from a gracious owner and not Tesla—changes the frame of reference and makes the Y look even more like a dishwasher than it already does. This isn't a bold new thing from Tesla. It looks like what would happen if you read the "Esio Trot" poem to a Model 3: It's taller, longer, and wider, but the interior and exterior designs are essentially indistinguishable. 

LOWS: Looks just like a bloated 3 and drives worse, fit and finish issues, a high price for limited luxury.

On its face, that seems like a good thing. We like the Model 3, so a car that's just like it but has a roomier back seat—with nearly two more inches of headroom—and a bigger cargo hold—fitting seven carry-on bags behind the seats to the 3's four—sounds great, right? In reality, the Y's dimensions work against it. Even though the Y and 3 share powertrains and batteries, the less refined driving character of the former is instantly discernible by anyone who has driven the latter. There is more body roll, and a keen tush detects a bit of flex in the unibody when the chassis is stressed in corners or by pockmarked roads. The quick steering makes the 350-pound-heavier Model Y feel twitchy in comparison with the 3, and our test car's optional 20-inch wheels contribute, no doubt, to suspension crash over expressway expansion joints.

We also noticed a lot of that odd electric-motor whine that accompanies acceleration and a slightly different tone that comes with regenerative braking. The regen feels the same, though. The good news is that you can easily drown this out with the stand­ard 14-speaker audio system.

The $57,190 Model Y we drove has the same two-motor all-wheel-drive powertrain as our long-term Model 3 but musters a combined 384 horsepower and 376 lb-ft of torque in this application. The 75.0 kilowatt-hours of usable energy from the battery pack provide an EPA-estimated 316 miles of driving range, but you'll regret not opting for the more powerful Performance model when you're trying to get the Y's 4386 pounds off the line. The stomach-turning sensation of low-end torque that we've come to associate with Teslas is missing here. 

The Y has taller tires than the 3, which help it in the range department (longer gearing), but these act like cement shoes at low speed. When rolling into the accelerator from a stop, the power­train feels almost sluggish until 30 or 40 mph. That's not to say the Y isn't quick. It hits 60 in 4.4 seconds, 0.4 second behind our 3, and goes from 30 to 50 mph in an impressive 1.7 seconds. At the quarter-mile, a 12.7-second affair, the Y is still 0.4 second down on the 3. No one is going to make a YouTube reaction video in this car, at least not one that will get a bunch of views. 

On our 75-mph 200-mile highway test route, the Y achieves a real-world range of 220 miles, just 10 shy of the Model 3's. The brand's commitment to building out its charging network means that having a Tesla as your only car is a realistic proposition, even here in the Midwest. The company says a Model Y can restore 158 miles of range by spending 15 minutes at a Supercharger. This still doesn't match the five-minute full-tank fill-up that a gas station provides, but Tesla is continually getting closer. That said, Supercharger stations remain notably lacking in cheap coffee and Hostess Donettes.

This Model Y came with the one feature we've come to expect in all Teslas: shoddy fit and finish. We noted inconsistent gaps between the body panels—not all of which sit flush, by the way. There's a definite orange-peel effect to the paint, which also had some chips fresh from the factory, according to the owner. A few wires hang in the open from the dashboard into the passenger's footwell. Tesla placed the tire-pressure sticker on the door jamb in such a way that the white label peeks through the gap between the front fender and the door panel. And a series of persistent creaks and rattles from the back seat and cargo area made the owner send this car back to Tesla for a fix. The company says the rattle is a known problem without a solution, so the owner found a workaround. He slightly reclines part of the rear bench to stop the seatbacks from rubbing against one another. 

Like the 3, almost every control runs through the touchscreen. 

Tesla has built its business by selling desirable EVs at luxury prices. But the Model Y, which lacks a lot of amenities for its price, makes clear that Tesla wasn't looking to innovate here. The company took one of its established vehicles—the cheapest one, at that—and made an appliance of it, just like so many other automakers have done with their EVs.

And yet, Tesla loyalty runs so deep, this electric crossover will surely sell like gangbusters. And that's fine. There's nothing dreadfully wrong with the Model Y. But we can't help but feel that Tesla punted on this one. The company known for daring played it safe, and the result doesn't score big with us.

Counterpoint

Tesla joins the crossover ranks by raising the Model 3's roof 7.1 inches to create the Y, and yet the EPA range figure barely budges. What gives? The BMW X3's highway mileage drops 15 percent compared with that of an equivalent 3-series, and an Audi Q5's plummets 13 percent versus an A4's. You'd think the Tesla would suffer a similar hit, but the all-wheel-drive Y Long Range sees only a 2 percent drop from the comparable 3's range. And it's not just the EPA results that bear this out; in our real-world testing, the Y's 220-mile range is just 4 percent down on the 3's (230 miles). I appreciate that Tesla could over­come this drawback of turning a car into an SUV, but it took seriously uncomfortable ride quality on 20-inch wheels and tires to achieve it.

Link: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a32934240/2020-tesla-model-y-long-range-by-the-numbers/

C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif  

Whoopsy:

https://insideevs.com/news/436912/driver-suspended-adjusting-wiper-speed-model-3/

Operating a touch screen inside a car is the same if not worse than operating a cell phone, I hope this turned into something bigger, outlawing touch screens inside a moving car, or at least for the front row. Clearing the way for the return of the much safer physical buttons.

And then again there is voice control for everything. Wipers, glove box you name it. Brilliant if you need to use it. 
    This German law is pretty much ignorant of new tech. Also let’s be clear that Tesla is not the only car which presents opportunities to violate this law. It is the driver not the car. 
    btw the stalk on the left of the model 3 operates the wipers just like in all other cars if you need it. That makes three ways to operate the wipers. Is that too many? Lol. 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

And then again there is voice control for everything. Wipers, glove box you name it. Brilliant if you need to use it. 
    This German law is pretty much ignorant of new tech. Also let’s be clear that Tesla is not the only car which presents opportunities to violate this law. It is the driver not the car. 
    btw the stalk on the left of the model 3 operates the wipers just like in all other cars if you need it. That makes three ways to operate the wipers. Is that too many? Lol. 

It is too many when one method can cause you to crash and maybe kill others too, one too many... makes it even more stupid having the controls for the wipers on a touch screen when you can already do it from the stalk.. that is some high level new tech lol...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

The most basic controls are conventional in the Tesla. The fact that everything is integrated for voice controls for extra safety and on the touch screen is a bonus. In addition, it is very capable of autopilot for a few minutes or seconds if you do choose to make a change via the touch screen. As a result the car is one of the safest ever made. It does extremely well in crash tests as well. 
    I also believe that it is a drivers responsibility to understand how a car functions and to use it properly. If the maker provides you with three ways to do something and autopilot just in case and you, as the driver, crash the car then I have a hard time blaming the car maker. Unless you want to shut down all car makers or pretend that no one ever crashed reaching for a good old fashioned button.   
    Do take a time to look at actual safety stats regarding Tesla once in a while. 
    Also, drive one just once so you all know how silly some of these comments are. Too many ways to control wipers is a little nuts. 

Now, IF touchscreen is new tech and sooooooo safe, why don't Tesla put throttle and brake and steering controls on the touch screen too? 

Voice control can be paired with physical buttons too, so that's isn't an argument for touch screens.

Not against Tesla, but everyone else too, face it, touchscreens are just a money saving thing, each little button cost money and a screen is already present in most cars.

Operating a touchscreen in a car is just the same as operating a smart phone, if they ban phones, it's only logical to ban touchscreens too. 

--

It is difficult to imagine, when the car is still new to you, why you would be using the touchscreen without engaging the auto pilot. mail      I do appreciate the German courts though for making me feel so much better about the USA.

I certainly agree the driver is at fault, but the electronic device control being unacceptable; soon your fly by wire throttle pedal will have to be retrofitted with a mechanical linkage.

In a Tesla you just get in and drive. It requires the very minimum of settings to start going. It is built to be autonomous in the near future so all this is elementary. All settings are either automated or based on driver settings saved for some 25 different drivers. (Maybe it is bad or illegal in Germany to have more than 3 driver presets. Lol ) 
    You may have also noticed that your tablet, phone and everything is moving from buttons to touch screen and voice control.  
    It you don’t like touch screens then don’t use them. You will basically be cut off from the world. Why direct this argument at just Tesla?  
    Moving the pedals to the touchscreen is another one of those amazing analogies not worth discussing.  

Believe it or not but I was thinking buying Tesla again... Smiley 

10000? I don't know but I can see it at over 2000, easily. If people are really that nuts. Smiley

I guess I stick to my biotech and tech stocks, this is at least something I have a clue about. Smiley Smiley

--

Gladstone:

It is difficult to imagine, when the car is still new to you, why you would be using the touchscreen without engaging the auto pilot. mail      I do appreciate the German courts though for making me feel so much better about the USA.

I certainly agree the driver is at fault, but the electronic device control being unacceptable; soon your fly by wire throttle pedal will have to be retrofitted with a mechanical linkage.

Have you been to Germany? It would end in disaster at our speeds and road "architecture" if people would use the autopilot in the same way they use it in the US.

--

I think you are assuming a lot about how people use autopilot. Also, you will understand once you own one. Much better. Gladstone has lived in Germany. 

Leawood911:

I think you are assuming a lot about how people use autopilot. Also, you will understand once you own one. Much better. Gladstone has lived in Germany. 

I've seen on YouTube how people use it and I talked to a couple of Tesla owners and know how they use it. Not good at all.

--

RC:
    Leawood911:

I've seen on YouTube how people use it and I talked to a couple of Tesla owners and know how they use it. Not good at all.

Agreed. There are some horrible examples of people using it. Same with ordinary cars of any kind. Jamie Fox set a really bad example recently. The car was asking him to take over and he just blew it off.  
    In the end I still prefer the ability to decide for myself when it is safe to use and how to use it. You will find that it has its place. Just because others don’t use it well (like any tool) does not mean you can’t benefit from it when used properly. 
    Actually what I don’t like is that even when no autopilot is engaged the cars nannies are a bit too aggressive in some situations.   I was coming up quickly on traffic while intending to turn left and the car slowed me even though I would have missed the car directly ahead of me.  I likely should not be driving like that. Lol 

I have some sorts of "autopilot" in my GLC 63 S AMG. At first, it was fun. Driving on the Autobahn without having to steer. However, I hade to move the steering wheel slightly every 20 or 30 seconds. If I didn't do that, the car showed a warning sign and at some point, it reduced speed. It was fun but I got bored fast. Having to pay attention when to move the steering wheel is actually more annoying than having to pay attention while driving on my own. Smiley

Sorry to say this but these systems, as long as they aren't fully autonomous, are worthless in my opinion.

I don't even like those distance radar systems which keep a fixed distance to the car in front of me. I know many like and order them but I'm not that type of person. I drive myself and as long as the car doesn't drive by itself fully autonomously, I don't need any other system. Sorry.

--

With the Tesla I keep my hand on the wheel. If you do not do this it will ask you to move the wheel like you describe. Adjusting the volume with the knob on the wheel is best way to do this without physically moving the wheel and direction of the car. 
    Best for me is to just keep my left hand on the bottom of the wheel. Very natural. The car never complains or asks me to touch the wheel if I do this. You will enjoy finding out which method works best once you get your Model 3. 

Leawood911:

With the Tesla I keep my hand on the wheel. If you do not do this it will ask you to move the wheel like you describe. Adjusting the volume with the knob on the wheel is best way to do this without physically moving the wheel and direction of the car. 
    Best for me is to just keep my left hand on the bottom of the wheel. Very natural. The car never complains or asks me to touch the wheel if I do this. You will enjoy finding out which method works best once you get your Model 3. 

That's just you. And you are driving very responsibly. 

Hundreds of thousands more Teslas owners aren't driving like you. That's the difference. Your one case can't represent the whole Tesla population. You are actually the exception, not the norm.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM