Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Back to EV cars

--

AM

Samsung unveils new solid-state battery tech

Samsung new solid-state battery

--

AM

ALDO:

Samsung unveils new solid-state battery tech

Samsung new solid-state battery

Even if this doesn't sound like the big breakthrough everyone is hoping for, it clearly shows that a lot of development work is going on and at some point, they will succeed somewhere.

Higher capacity, lower weight and faster charging. Three points which need to be solved. Most important are lower weight and especially faster charging right now. I can live with a 200 km range but I couldn't live with a 45 minutes to 9 hours charging time.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

If this advance is genuine, it will still take roughly a decade for this development to become available in consumer products.  The major automakers are working on development of product available within the next five years taking us out to the 2025-6 model years.  Even then the adoption rate is limited because the average automotive platform has an average seven year life.  This means the typical new EV launching in 2020, will maintain its major components, with incremental improvements until 2027.  

Automakers, outside of one in particular, need to analyze any new component extensively before putting that component into production to ensure reliability and stability of performance.  If, for some reason, that component fails in the field, the warranty and replacement costs are too great.  If an automaker were to implement Samsung's new solid state battery development into all of its new EVs and it fails for one reason or another, the recall can be across millions of units. This could literally bankrupt the company and the reason why the major automakers are perceived as risk adverse.   

According to Automotive News, the Chinese government has issued a quality warning to Tesla for its new Chinese manufactured Model 3s.  The typical Musk sleight of hand.

Tesla urged by China to keep products consistent amid computer chip complaints

BEIJING -- China's industry ministry said on Tuesday it has urged Tesla Inc. to keep its China-made vehicles consistent after some customers complained the electric vehicle maker put less advanced computer chips in their cars.

Tesla started delivering China-made Model 3 electric sedans from its $2 billion Shanghai factory in December, but some buyers said on Chinese social media that the control units in their cars run on HW2.5 chips, which are less advanced than the HW3.0 chips listed on their specification sheets.

The Ministry of Industry and Information Technology urged Tesla on Tuesday to ensure product consistency, quality and safety, according to a statement on the ministry's website.

HW3.0 chips are necessary for the full self-driving mode in Tesla's driver assistance system, a feature that is optional when customers order Tesla cars.

In a post on its Weibo account last week, Tesla said the swap was due to a lack of supply of the HW3.0 chips and the company would replace the chip for customers who received cars with the HW2.5 systems.

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Funny thing happened when facts contradict fiction.

Despite all the claims that Tesla stole BMW sales, BMW Group reported that they have surpassed 100 billion euros for the first time ever in 2019. 

--

Unacceptable quality

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2018 Mini JCW

Topspeed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hPerpzN4JE

I can't believe how some people obsess over slight irregularities in paint on a car. Smiley

If you need an instrument to identify paint faults, the paint is fine.

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

So I was supposed to pick up my model 3 last week after placing a reservation more than 3 years ago, however, a hail storm damaged all Tesla's at the port, mine included heart. The hodyshell and glass roof must be weak as I was actually driving through that hail storm in my 911 and it wasn't that bad. So after telling me first that they are going to fix it and me not accepting that and demanding a new vehicle, now no one is answering my emails and it has been a week since this happened. I have no choice but to cancel the whole thing and stay with my beloved combustion engine cars. 

AP911:

So I was supposed to pick up my model 3 last week after placing a reservation more than 3 years ago, however, a hail storm damaged all Tesla's at the port, mine included heart. The hodyshell and glass roof must be weak as I was actually driving through that hail storm in my 911 and it wasn't that bad. So after telling me first that they are going to fix it and me not accepting that and demanding a new vehicle, now no one is answering my emails and it has been a week since this happened. I have no choice but to cancel the whole thing and stay with my beloved combustion engine cars. 

Smiley Sorry about that...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    AP911:

Why 3 years in the first place?  Perhaps an environment hostile to EV?  Smiley
    Are you blaming Tesla for the hail damage?  I doubt the glass top was damaged thereby reducing the amount of damage caused to the car overall. If the glass was cracked then this was the mother of all hailstorms. The 911 was in the exact same storm at the same time and suffered no damage?  Weird. At any rate you should get a new car, of course. Hope it takes less time. Good luck!

nberry:
    Topspeed:

I can't believe how some people obsess over slight irregularities in paint on a car. Smiley

From a purely business perspective- as long as they can’t build them fast enough, it makes little sense to focus much energy on this type of issue. Long term they are using only the most advanced assembly and paint tech. This will work itself out when it and if it becomes a priority. 
    The advances made in building the Y are noteworthy. Much less wiring, better castings eliminating many pieces and assembly processes and more efficient heating to name a few. 

Leawood911:
    RC:
    AP911:

Why 3 years in the first place?  Perhaps an environment hostile to EV?  Smiley
    Are you blaming Tesla for the hail damage?  I doubt the glass top was damaged thereby reducing the amount of damage caused to the car overall. If the glass was cracked then this was the mother of all hailstorms. The 911 was in the exact same storm at the same time and suffered no damage?  Weird. At any rate you should get a new car, of course. Hope it takes less time. Good luck!

Sure put the blame on others for Tesla's failure...... Actually when I placed my reservation for the model 3 back in February 2017, Tesla estimated arrival of the car was in the first half of 2018. Of course that got delayed to 2nd half, then beginning of 2019, then actually just 2019, long story short, the first customers' model 3s arrived here in Dubai in March 2020Smiley..... We are in the UAE so when I blame Tesla for the hail damage I mean it, it's not that big a storm. I was actually driving on the hwy between Dubai and Abu Dhabi, near Jebel Ali port, driving about 100km/h and not a single damage on my 911. They are just built to a different standard and different price, that's all, no shame in that.

Anyways, finally I get a response today that I should receive a new one in June, hopefully Smiley 

Since I already waited this long, what's a more couple of months Smiley

AP911:

Since I already waited this long, what's a more couple of months Smiley

Smiley Corona, these days 2 months is a loooong way to go Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

nberry:
    Topspeed:

+1 especially on a DD sedan. Words fail me.

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

2020 Roadster delayed to 2022. 

The CEO listed several things that Tesla will do before making the new Roadster:

• Ramping up Model Y production
    • Getting Gigafactory Berlin to production
    • Expanding Gigafactory Shanghai
    • Getting Tesla Semi to production
    • Getting Tesla Cybertruck to production

Several of those milestones are not expected to be achieved until late 2021 – meaning that the new Tesla Roadster might not come until 2022.

Base model 0 to 60 is 1.9. Wow.

JimFlat6:

Which car do you mean? 

MKSGR:
    JimFlat6:

Which car do you mean? 

RC's Performante. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    MKSGR:
    JimFlat6:

Which car do you mean? 

RC's Performante. Smiley

SmileySmiley

--

The base roadster will also have a 600 mile range although by the time it is built I expect a serious battery advance by Tesla to upend all the specs radically. Did I mention a year ago it was a $1000 stock. 🧐 

Leawood911:

The base roadster will also have a 600 mile range although by the time it is built I expect a serious battery advance by Tesla to upend all the specs radically. Did I mention a year ago it was a $1000 stock. 🧐 

You are certainly right - when the roadster will be finally built in 2030 new batteries will be available to enhance range Smiley

MKSGR:
    Leawood911:

You are certainly right - when the roadster will be finally built in 2030 new batteries will be available to enhance range Smiley

I love these posts!  They age so well. Why not browse earlier entries in this thread regarding production numbers and bankruptcy.  Hmmm. Keep them coming. 
    obviously he is focused on the Truck and Semi as well as getting Berlin moving (which will feature revolutionary paint processes).  Not to mention batteries, solar, Starlink internet access and a little planet called Mars. 
    I would not doubt the roadster will arrive, and perhaps the auto industry is happy it can do a little catching up in the meantime. Smiley

btw the 600 mile range spec was based on current battery tech and three motors. So by 2022 it may be same range with 1/2 the batteries.  Do you really want to dig your hole deeper. Go ahead, I’m amused.  Flat earth society is always looking for new causes and members. 

Leawood911:
    MKSGR:
    Leawood911:

I love these posts!  They age so well. Why not browse earlier entries in this thread regarding production numbers and bankruptcy.  Hmmm. Keep them coming. 

Oh, these posts on production numbers & bankruptcy are still up to date, maybe. Difficult times ahead for Tesla (and other OEMs)...

Leawood911:
    So by 2022 it may be same range with 1/2 the batteries.  

BTW, by 2022 you will also have the Taycan facelift we were talking about in the other posts. Plus about 20-30 other competing EV products (over all vehicle classes)... 

MKSGR:
    Leawood911:
    So by 2022 it may be same range with 1/2 the batteries.  

BTW, by 2022 you will also have the Taycan facelift we were talking about in the other posts. Plus about 20-30 other competing EV products (over all vehicle classes)... 

We shall see. VW can’t even get the software to work so they joined forces with Mercedes and BMW. Desperation? Wait to see what they do for batteries.  I also wonder if any of the 2022 Taycan upgrades will be applied to the older versions or if Porsche will just leave those buyers in the dust?  Hmmm. Would make me want to hold off until 2022.  
    Actually, Chinese auto industry is years ahead of the curve compared to Europe. 

MKSGR:
    Leawood911:
    MKSGR:
    Leawood911:

Oh, these posts on production numbers & bankruptcy are still up to date, maybe. Difficult times ahead for Tesla (and other OEMs)...

Tesla has so many more irons in the fire and many more ways to make money than the others - not the least of which is selling carbon credits to the OEMs which always amuses me.  To think Tesla is one of them and group them together is not accurate IMHO. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752949 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430628 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258557 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255438 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868221 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801762 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM