Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New car itch begun! (Need pics of yellow 987s)

These two cars are originally painted in black. I saw them in the flesh (OPC Demo-cars) - nicely done film-job.

One more

"Halfway" Martini look on a 997 GT3RS

Off Topic - special film

As far as I know, the door sills can be covered as well. Especially if you'd choose a striking colour as yellow or orange, I'd select a well-contrasting dark one (e.g. Black/Basalt Black) as original paint.

A friend of mine runs a business offering car tribals (the Fast&Furious type), I can adress him on that subject. Send me a PM in that case!

Too make the colour choice even more a torture you may have a look at the Rennteam colour to sample thread also

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=258255&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Whoa! Thanks a bunch for the links and info!
    Anyone here seen the film up close? How good does it look? Like a nice paintjob or only nice from a distance?
    And what about metallic film - anyone seen that? Pics?

I think this could be a great solution, since it will be hard for me to get a new yellow Boxey 3.4 before New Years, which is my provisionary deadline (tax deduction etc). If this works I could actually go for a more available color - like silver - and get this film fitted instead.

Here's a couple of other companies I found:
    ...and btw, Ferdie, I will PM you later! Thanks!

http://cfc.de/cms/index.php?option=com_p...id=192#category

http://www.folienstar.de/

http://www.stema-folientechnik.de/

http://www.intax.de/
    Examples: http://www.intax.de/folierung/galerien/folierung/farbige_folierung.html

Jees, there's a lot of options and possibilities out there.
    Seems like going with film is a lot more fun and flexible than picking a regular old paint color....

In the Uk you'd have soem fun with the licensing authorities with descriing the car colour - you are effectively changing the olour of the car.

I can't speak for the coloured film, but the clear protectve films that i've seen so far (stonechip protection etc) have a distinct orangepeel effect to them, which is more apparent when neighbouring paitwork isn't covered.

Quote:
    percymon said:
    I can't speak for the coloured film, but the clear protectve films that i've seen so far (stonechip protection etc) have a distinct orangepeel effect to them, which is more apparent when neighbouring paitwork isn't covered.

Not mine. Thoroughly recommend it. Car so much less damaged by FOD than the previous car which did not have the film fitted.

Y'know, I love yellow cars but the Porsche yellow doesn't work for me. There's just something missing. It's like it's way too flat, with no depth to the color. Also, it seems too far to the orange side of the spectrum for me.

What porsche needs is a metallic yellow with some amount of sheen to it, like on the current Gallardo (there's some special yellow they have which is especially stunning in person).

Check out this link for a vague idea of what I mean:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/112_news050721_lamborghini_gallardo

$3000 special color option, anyone?

Eslai, I agree.
    Which is why I am seriously thinking about having film put on the car insteaed. This way I can both get a deeper, richer color (preferably metallic) and at the same time "change" color in a year or two if I get bored with yellow.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Sure, there have been a few problems

Mind sharing what problems you have encountered?

Thanx.

Dr. Phil, I saw a yellow 987S yesterday parked in a street called Pariska in the centre of Prague.

Just my sincere view: I think a yellow Boxster will only look really good in a sunny climate. I was very lucky to have great weather throughout my long weekend in Prague BUT as I was leaving (i.e. late yesterday), it turned wet and dull there. The yellow 987S really didn't look good in that kind of grey, wet climate.

If I lived in Florida, California or Texas, sure, I would consider it. But in northern or eastern Europe? I don't think so.

Just my honest opinion...

I agree with Easy that a color can look good or not so good depending on the climate you're in. I also agree that yellow doesn't look too good in a grey/wet climate...

Easyrider, I hear u on the yellow/summer/winter issue.
    One of my own questions too.
    Most of all I fear the car will look plasticky and like a toycar....
    On the other hand I almost cant take the idea of owning yet another silver/gray car. My last 5 cars have been silver, gray or black.

Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    Mind sharing what problems you have encountered?
    Thanx.

No, I dont mind
    Ivbe had the usual wear and tear which has really been quite limited compared to the other cars I have owned.
    I've had some ignition coils or whatever they are called - something related to the ignition/spark plug system - changed.
    They just died on me in the middle of an intersection one day.
    I've had the infamous "lights & sound gremlin" - while at a stoplight my dashboard suddenly lit up, the engine stalled and every single warning lamp came on. All very Close Encounters of the Third Kind-ish. Momeents later the car was back to normal.

Currently I have some rattling going on.
    A persisting problem is a die-hard rattle coming from one of the metal shields that covers the rear part of the exhaust.
    This had been welded 4 times - but still makes a metallic rattle.
    I have a rattle/bump from the front suspension and an annoying slight buzzing sound from behind my seat.
    Rattling in general is an issue IMO. Not the "OMG this car is falling apart"-rattle, but more one stemming from a hard ride.
    The dash squeeks a bit here and there. Nothing crucial or reallly annoying - just enough to be noticed.

No RMS leaks or worse - so all in all I have been extremely happy with my car.
    I have never, ever had a car that drove so well, and at the same time sucked up the kilometres like a walk in the part.
    ...guess that's a pretty predictable comment, eh?

Anything in particular u wanted to know about??

Exactly - I had the same feeling - plasticky - since this exact shade lacked 'depth'. I have the same problem with Guards Red. It's too light and again lacks depth. Carrara White can work but it needs an 'equally outrageous' body shape (which the GT3 has in spades).

Just my 2 cents but I only like Seal grey, GT silver and basalt black for a 987S. I'm so very sorry for suggesting such popular colours but they are so popular for a reason. I know you would like to stand out in some way. Why not do colour to sample?

If I do film, I can get almost any color I want - so if I want yellow, I'd goi for a metallic yellow - not gold, but like the Speed yellow, only metalllic.
    I think that would add some lustre and depth to it.
    Or I could pick the rusty orange/copper of the Mazda MX-5 - almost the same that Porsche offers on the 997 Targa and that 987 special version.

I need to make a few photoshop samples or visit my local dealer and decide from there. Picking a color is always a tough choice

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Easyrider, I hear u on the yellow/summer/winter issue.
    One of my own questions too.
    Most of all I fear the car will look plasticky and like a toycar....
    On the other hand I almost cant take the idea of owning yet another silver/gray car. My last 5 cars have been silver, gray or black.

Very interesting thread. Have you considered Guards Red?

I think I would have serious doubts about that film thing. Sure, it looks nice on pictures, but as the owner of the car, I think it would add to the "plastic-y" emotion. You KNOW that the color is not real... I don't know, hard to describe. Furthermore, I think those small damages like stone chips and little scrapes would make the film light up like a dutch brothel, showing that it is not paint but plastic?
    All these are guesses, 'cause I never owned a "filmed" car, but I would investigate it veru thoroughly before ordering!
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Anything in particular u wanted to know about??

No, nothing particular, I was just curious what kind of problems you had encoutered because a Boxster is always on my list if I get an itch for a great driving, open top car. So your previous explanation covers it, thanx.

About the rattling. I would guess some of it is "natural" and to be expected to find in a convertible that's a few years old. Don't you agree? I mean, the rigidity of a convertible usually does worsen a bit over the years...

About color. I've always liked the 987 in blue and with a blue soft top. Isn't it Dreamcar that has one in a lighter shade of blue (Cobalt?)? I really like that one, but also the darker Midnight blue. So blue?

GT Silver all the way!!!

Well Dr Phil - I had the same in mind though just a humble Boxster not the S. I was in the dealership and mentioned yellow and the salesman is trying to talk me out of it. Suggested the Silver or Meteor Grey - something about resale value. But damn it I want this car for my reasons and resale isn't in the equation.

I was hoping the 2008 MY would include the DFI and 6 speed for the base Boxster but alas looks like 2009. I have seen some adverse comments re possible styling changes but I can't see them doing anything major at this stage of the cycle. Any update on this update would be appreciated.

Good luck Phil with the "mellow yellow"!

Yellow looks good, but imo is not my cup of tea, not even in a ferrari, is too much I'd say...

I have to admit, I would also go for a new 987S, its simply like a 911, more easier and in some aspects more fun factor ! , there is no other competitor in this category that would made me think twice...

Anyway, I would go completely opposite way, 987S in white colour, with Sport Evo 19" wheels, this cobination is simply stunning, and there are not so many boxey's with this combo....I'm in love with it!!! question is what interior colour I would choose, may be black or beige arena, both 0,00 Euro

No sport seats for me, and I will leave them with the alcantara leather mix, again 0,00 Euro , simply as a GT3

As for the options it would be very simple

-Xenon
    -PASM
    -Sport Chrono Package
    -PSE
    -SPORT SHIFT
    -Sport Evo 19" wheels
    -Alarm system
    -red colour seatbelts

no Bose sound system etc.....

May be I would change the colour of the rims to black or dark grey , but I would have to think twice for that

And a pic:

I agree with the extras if I had the money. One more I would add are the rear parking sensors.

Cheers

Has anyone heard anymore on the engine upgrades? Earlier in the year the rumours had Direct Fuel Injection slated for the 2008 model. Alas it didn't happen and the rumour has gone silent.

I was holding off hoping that it may appear early 2008.

Cheers

I just saw one of the special edition orange and black boxsters at the dealer yesterday, and I have to say it looks quite nice! That's what I'd be looking at, should keep better value too!

Have you found a cure for your new car itch yet, Doc?

Yeah did the itch cured itself?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691078 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410189 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256238 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235422 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858840 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775134 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM