Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

IAA has started - BMW X6 revealed

It's that time again - CARSHOW

First up: BMW X6

From Autocar:
    Quote:
    This is the remarkable new BMW X6 'Sports Activity Coupe', unveiled today (11 September) at the Frankfurt motor show.

It's based on the X5, but 23mm longer, 44mm wider and with a 70mm lower roofline, and will be made at the same factory in Spartanburg, USA.
    The X6 is very much a performance-orientated vehicle. All models will come with an active chassis system called Dynamic Performance Control and there will be a new range of powerful turbocharged engines. BMW insiders say that a range-topping V10 version of the car, dubbed X6M, is under consideration, and a hybrid version has also been developed.
    The dramatic styling marks out the X6 in the crowded market for premium SUVs. The large wheels, bulbous arches and deep sides have been carried over from the X5, but the glasshouse is almost saloon-like and the sloping roof line convincing enough to justify the car's coupe name.

The X6 is thought to be at least 10 months from the showroom. When it arrives, BMW is likely to charge more for it than it does for the X5. One industry analyst estimates that the X6 could demand a 20 per cent price premium over its sister car, taking the X6 into direct competition with the hugely successful Range Rover Sport. Around 40,000 X6s could be sold each year, compared to an expected 100,000 X5s.

240bhp and counting

The engine line-up is expected to kick off with 238bhp and 286bhp turbocharged six-cylinder diesel units, both of which will be aimed at the European market. Petrol power will come from a 306bhp twin-turbo six-pot and a yet-to-be-revealed twin-turbo 4.8-litre V8 good for 410bhp.
    Sources hint that the petrol and diesel engines will come hooked up to a new ZF-engineered 8-speed auto 'box. However, insiders say that the new auto 'box still cannot cope with the V10's high-revving nature, so a X6M would have to use either a manual gearbox or seven-speed SMG.

Torque about sharp handling

BMW intends to make this comparatively tall and heavy car handle well with the use of a new 'torque vectoring' four-wheel drive system called Dynamic Performance Control.
    'Torque vectoring' is the ability to deliver different amounts of torque to each of the car's wheels.
    This can be used make a car feel more agile, especially in corners, as well as to deliver greater surefootedness in poor conditions and improve stability.
    For example, if more torque is directed to the outside wheels when a car is travelling around a right-hand bend, the vehicle will turn into the corner with more commitment and any understeer will be much-reduced.

BMW engineers will also be relying the X6's advanced electrical system to further exploit the potential of torque vectoring.
    Known as Flexray, the electronic network offers very high-speed data transmission - far faster than today's 'multiplex' wiring systems.
    The X6's Flexray system will allow rapid communication between the new transmission, variable-rate active steering and a future active suspension system.
    The Flexray system will allow near-instantaneous adjustments to be made to the way torque is distributed, the exact steering response and the damper settings.

HYBRID

The X6 has also been unveiled in hybrid guise - the first model from BMW to feature an internal combustion engine with assistance from electric motors and a battery pack. BMW says that the hybrid's fuel consumption is up to 20 per cent better than that of a conventional-engined car.
    There's no date yet for the X6's hybrid system reaching the showroom. BMW, General Motors and DaimlerChrysler are developing the drivetrain under the Global Hybrid Cooperation tag, at a technical centre based in Troy, Michigan.
    This version of the X6 will probably be aimed mainly at the US market, where the Hybrid concept is at a premium. European buyers are more likely to be swayed by the fact that the diesel X6 will not only match the hybrid's real-world consumption figures, it will also probably be noticeably less expensive. There are no plans for a diesel-hybrid version of the X6.

Re: IAA has started - BMW X6 revealed

rear

Active torque distribution, pushing more torque to the outside of the car in bends? Blimey. Imagine if that goes wrong - it has the potential to cause you to swerve into traffic, no?

With all seriousness, how long before humans are taken out of the loop completely? - you'd just enter your destination into the nav and then go to sleep!

BMW X6 ActiveHybrid Concept

Quote:
    An innovative vehicle concept and equally innovative drivetrain technology are now coming together in a unique car the world has never seen before: BMW Concept X6 ActiveHybrid is the world's first Sports Activity Coupé to feature a special concept of hybrid drive likewise never seen before - and all this from Germany's premium car manufacturer.

Full pressrelease and lots of pictures:
    http://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2007-x6_activehybrid_concept/

side

hybrid rear

Serious question: who needs such a car?

What's the point??

what the point with a 500hp Cayenne or SUV at all? or a 600hp sportcar?
    This car will sell, because you guys know why? the world is full of people who want unnessecary things and on this board there are several of them.

I can see a market for this car, at least here in Norway.
    It's the "perfect" car for the 40-50 year old with grown-up kids that wants a car to drive to the cabin up in the mountains, but who also wants a "sporty" car that doesn't look like a London Taxi (that would be the Porsche Cayenne )

Good for steaming over road humps though.

This car will have a huge market, especially on people who find X5 too spread around and they want something more.
    I've been recently in germany and in france and i can tell you that on the highway it's easy to find a new X5 every two to five minutes. In case i would consider an X5 i would rather have a look to the X6

And at the end...if we look to necessary stuff why we need a 500bhp car to use everyday?

Hmmm, reminds me (concept wise) of those photoshops of the Roxster. BMW fans get the X6, We get the Cayenne GTS... Life ain't fair!
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Rossi said:

BMW does need it, since the new X5 is too boring.

i actually like this bmw. im sure it will be a great hit here aswell.

Waw X6 looks great and is perfect car for most SUV owners. Probably 90% X5, ML, Cayenne... owners havent seen sandy road, but they got SUV because they are very comfort, safety... For people like that, I think X6 is perfect choice

Quote:
    Rossi said:

A "real" BMW - with disgusting Bangle design

Well, Bangle did not design this "masterpiece" but, some Dutch guy Van Hoydonke or soemthing...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Well, Bangle did not design this "masterpiece" but, some Dutch guy Van Hoydonke or soemthing...

This Dutch guy has learned quite a lot from Bangle then

Well, he designed new 3 series coupe as well...

the designer is Pierre Leclercq, I think its the same guy behind X5.

i like it, it looks fun and useful, a blend of suv and coupe

A couple more "real life" pictures from the launch. I think it looks nice from this angle:

I hope it comes with a reverse camera, looks like the rearview will be very limited:

All the pictures here:
    http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bmw-x6-live-from-frankfurt/

Size, compared to a man:

For me, this "thing" is quite ugly - reminds me of a facelift version of a Ssang Yong Action Sport

Quote:
    Boyko23 said:
    For me, this "thing" is quite ugly - reminds me of a facelift version of a Ssang Yong Action Sport

Viewed from behind it also has a strong resemblance to this...

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Boyko23 said:

Viewed from behind it also has a strong resemblance to this...

But hopefully a little faster.

Quote:
    temm said:
    All the pictures here:
    http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bmw-x6-live-from-frankfurt/

Size, compared to a man:

Man, those rims are weird looking.

I don't know what sane person would buy a big and heavy car such as the X6 in order to have less room than inside an X5. Then again, there aren't many sane people left anymore .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689257 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409060 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255682 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234933 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65489 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857866 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773861 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM